Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ilbery View Post

Just got home with an "open box" VSX-32 last night from BB. I'm still working on the HT in the basement, but hooked it up to test it with my living room TV. Finally figured out most stuff, but for some reason when I toggle through outputs, I only see HDMI3,4,5, and not HDMI 1 or 2.....is this the normal or is my unit defective? I know one of the HDMI ports is labled BD...but it seems that the HDMI 1 and 2 should still show up in the list of selectable inputs to me.

If the box was openned, it had probably been used. You can manually set any input to not display using the configuration menu. Hook your VSX-32's HDMI Out to your tv's HDMI in, and press the Home Menu button on the VSX-32's remote. Go to the Input Setup section (page 39 of the manual), and make sure those inputs are not set to be "skipped"

From page 39 and 40 of the Operating Instuctions:
"The Input Setup menu
You only need to make settings in the Input Setup menu
if you didn’t hook up your digital equipment according to
the default settings (see Input function default and
possible settings on page 40). In this case, you need to
tell the receiver what equipment is hooked up to which
terminal so the buttons on the remote control
correspond to the components you’ve connected.

Input Skip – When set to ON, that input is skipped
when selecting the input using INPUT SELECT. (DVD
and other inputs can be still be selected directly with
the input function buttons.)"

Personally, I set all the HDMI ports to be skipped, and even the Sirius Radio, and XM Satellite Inputs. I only want to see what I am currently using.

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

NEW Sony KDL-40XBR4 Optimized Settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5245
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang99 View Post

I think it was previously used, would that be part of the problem? I didnt think about it until now that some settings could be saved or changed on the unit, of course I was told it was never used but thats what I get for not opening the unit in the store.

And thanks Raddle, youre 100% correct I am impatient but I will read more if thats what it takes, are there any good sites that will help in speaker placement/adjustments? Or is all of that personal taste?

I'm willing to bet the previous owner used a Polk subwoofer. I'm also willing to bet that the old owner had issues with the unit.
post #543 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the help DarkDune. I'll check that out in the setup menu.
post #544 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang99 View Post

And thanks Raddle, youre 100% correct I am impatient but I will read more if thats what it takes, are there any good sites that will help in speaker placement/adjustments? Or is all of that personal taste?

Which speakers do you have? Most manufacturers post guidelines either in their manuals or on their web sites.

Audioholics, Crutchfield and Dolby also have guides.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/sp...up-guidelines/
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Learn...?g=11999&tp=34
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html
post #545 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Okay first off i would like to thank you guys in advance for all your help. I need help properly setting up ml motion 4's, c motion 8 and dyno sub. I have ran the full auto mcacc and it has them set to large. I know they should be set to small and let the sub do its job but when i do that i get no sound from the sub. What should i do? What is the correct set up from start to finish, the manual is a bit confusing and actually read that some people feel like its been watered down.
Anyhow my main questions are:
what should the lfe be set to?
crossover?
the sub has a switch for either 0 or 180.
the s gain?
ch1, ch2, or dual ch1 ch2?
I apologize for being such a newbie but i trust you guys and value your opinions.
post #546 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

first off, what you "read" was what i posted, and no, the manual has not been "watered down", but the tables that describe the various soundfields have been shrunken... context IS important here...

speakers to small...
xover to 80
phase control on sub to 0...
good place to start for gain control on sub is around 11 o'clock on the dial (this should be set BEFORE running mcacc)...

have no idea what you mean by "ch1 ch2 or dual ch1/ch2"?

fwiw, there's an entire thread devoted to mcacc...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #547 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

first off, what you "read" was what i posted, and no, the manual has not been "watered down", but the tables that describe the various soundfields have been shrunken... context IS important here...

speakers to small...
xover to 80
phase control on sub to 0...
good place to start for gain control on sub is around 11 o'clock on the dial (this should be set BEFORE running mcacc)...

have no idea what you mean by "ch1 ch2 or dual ch1/ch2"?

fwiw, there's an entire thread devoted to mcacc...

I apologize, your right, nice to hear from you. I ran the mcacc and it set them to large, when I set them to small the sub is set to none. I'll try again, in the audio parameter on the remote you can pick between those three choices, have no idea what it is slight difference in audio, sounds better with dual ch1, ch2. Thank you so much can't wait to change the settings!
post #548 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you are welcome...

set the sub to "yes"...

still not sure what the ch1/ch2 part is yet...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #549 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:

^^^

you are welcome...

set the sub to "yes"...

Sorry if I wasn't clear, when I change them to small the sub is not highlighted so I can't change it to yes. There is a switch on back of the sub that is either for 0' or 180' degrees. Also the lfe is probably more personal preference but where would be a good place to start?
post #550 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:

^^^

you are welcome...

set the sub to "yes"...

ch1/ch2 refers to the following in the manual on Page 59:

"DUAL (Dual Mono)

Specifies how dual mono encoded Dolby Digital soundtracks should be played. Dual mono is not widely used, but is sometimes necessary when two languages need to be sent to separate channels.
  • CH1 - Channel 1 is heard only
  • CH2 - Channel 2 is heard only
  • CH1 CH2 - Both channels heard from front speakers
"

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #551 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ilbery View Post

Just got home with an "open box" VSX-32 last night from BB. I'm still working on the HT in the basement, but hooked it up to test it with my living room TV. Finally figured out most stuff, but for some reason when I toggle through outputs, I only see HDMI3,4,5, and not HDMI 1 or 2.....is this the normal or is my unit defective? I know one of the HDMI ports is labled BD...but it seems that the HDMI 1 and 2 should still show up in the list of selectable inputs to me.

Most likely the previous owner had been doing some setup. It is one of two possibilities, the person has either:
- renamed those two inputs to something else
- set the selector to skip those inputs.

I believe that both of these choices lie in the setup menu: click the receiver button then home button and go to the last selection of the choices there.

Or you can just reset to factory settings (assumption is that you have unpluged the unit then plugged it back into the power) by pressing "enter" on the right front of the receiver facade, then while holding that down, press the on/standby button on front. Cycle through the 3 or 4 settings there eg (8ohm vs 6 ohm etc), one of the choices is a factory reset "yes/no" toggle.
post #552 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdune View Post

ch1/ch2 refers to the following in the manual on Page 59:

"DUAL (Dual Mono)

Specifies how dual mono encoded Dolby Digital soundtracks should be played. Dual mono is not widely used, but is sometimes necessary when two languages need to be sent to separate channels.
  • CH1 - Channel 1 is heard only
  • CH2 - Channel 2 is heard only
  • CH1 CH2 - Both channels heard from front speakers
"

ah! NOW i know what he's referencing... couldn't figure out what ch1/ch2 had to do with bass management....

op, it really shouldn't matter what that is set to, because (as dd references), dolby dual mono tracks are pretty rare...

the other questions:

a) the "0 or 180" switch is the "phase control" i referred to in the earlier post... set it to zero...

b) run mcacc... it will level set the sub... after mcacc is done, some like to boost the sub a few db for movie watching... not really my cuppa, but i try not to tell others what they like...

- chris

post #553 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Any good options out there for using Bluetooth headphones with the VSX32?
post #554 of 1285 Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:

ah! NOW i know what he's referencing... couldn't figure out what ch1/ch2 had to do with bass management....

op, it really shouldn't matter what that is set to, because (as dd references), dolby dual mono tracks are pretty rare...

the other questions:

a) the "0 or 180" switch is the "phase control" i referred to in the earlier post... set it to zero...

b) run mcacc... it will level set the sub... after mcacc is done, some like to boost the sub a few db for movie watching... not really my cuppa, but i try not to tell others what they like...

Did everything you guys said and Damn!!!!!!!!! What would I have done without you guys? I found out about the dual tracks and apologize for the extra work I gave yous. Thank you Soooooo much, sounds incredible!! I still got 1 more day of low level listening so I can't wait to actually hear it's full potential.

You guys recommended the 1120 and after some research ( through here of coarse) I found the 32 was pretty much the same, and found it for about the same cost so why not right? So again thank you learned alot and I actually found a thread that I can answer one confidently.
post #555 of 1285 Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

good deal! glad we got you up and running...

- chris

post #556 of 1285 Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM

"I love it when a plan comes together."
post #557 of 1285 Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgetdwn View Post

and Damn!!!!!!!!!

This is EXACTLY how I felt when I got our VSX-33 calibrated and working!

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #558 of 1285 Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3_wagen View Post

Fixed this issue. I disabled display detect in the settings on my Xbox.

I still can't get my Mac mini to work though. Anyone have any suggestions?

post #559 of 1285 Old 03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3_wagen View Post

Fixed this issue. I disabled display detect in the settings on my Xbox.

I still can't get my Mac mini to work though. Anyone have any suggestions?

What are you playing the video through on the Mac Mini?

I have a 2010 Mac Mini that works flawlessly into an LX-53/aka VSX-33. I am using both VLC and Plax as the media software and then playing both audio and video via the HDMI connection out on the Mac. Zero problems.

I do have sleep mode disabled in the control panel on the mac Mini - I had it that way for a long time before I got the receiver, so cant say if that is a factor, but I have seen some comments on the Mac forums with folks running into a problem with the mini not HDMI handshaking correctly if that setting is on.
post #560 of 1285 Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Finally hooked up my new receiver last night after a trip to BB, the display works now and I have all the equipment for my receiver to operate correctly, and even tried out the HDMI hookups that work now. I even read the settings to bi-amp the B&K speakers and they sound even better. Thanks for the input, it gave me calm direction to get the manager to exchange it with no issues, they even kept on the 4 year warranty on the old receiver and still kept the $550 price. I did wonder if I could bi-amp the speaker with any of the speaker terminals though since I was thinking of using the rear surround later. I will have to find some decent banana plugs, new HDMI cables, and a way to hide the cables running the surround speakers but that will be later this weekend.

Also, I finally got an explanation from the store, seems like they believe it was installed by their techs and then sealed up so thats why no one at the store checked it. Ironically, when we went back there was a huge table full of clearance products that I guess they inspected to find equipment missing from their installs.
post #561 of 1285 Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable are good sources for HDMI cables and banana plugs. Their links are at the top of the page.
post #562 of 1285 Old 03-11-2011, 02:33 PM

i have the vsx-32 and Bic Acoustech 7.2 set up and and ran the auto MCACC ,
i still find myself having to turn it up on dialog scenes and turn i down on action scenes, is there a way to fix this, thanks
post #563 of 1285 Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Just picked up a VSX33 and for the next several weeks I will be using it with an older Sony RP HDTV that has DVI and Component inputs but no HDMI input. Two of my source components are using HDMI into the receiver and one is using component input to the receiver. I am using an HDMI to DVI cord from the receivers HDMI 1 out to the TV DVI input and I am not getting video on the TV, I do have audio from the receiver via HDMI from the source. I have made sure the VSX 33 is set to HDMI 1 and I have tried HDMI all but still no video.
I also have made sure the TV is on the DVI input.

The HDMI / DVI cable has never been used but it is old. Is it possible the pinout on the DVI connector isn't right for the TV?

Also, am I reading the VSX33 manual correctly, that I can not use HDMI inputs from my sources to the receiver and use component output to the TV. If I am going to use component output to the TV my source components must also be connected to the receiver via component?

Thanks for any input
post #564 of 1285 Old 03-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larok View Post

i have the vsx-32 and Bic Acoustech 7.2 set up and and ran the auto MCACC ,
i still find myself having to turn it up on dialog scenes and turn i down on action scenes, is there a way to fix this, thanks

Maybe try bumping up the center channel. I have had the same problem myself but havent had time to play more with he MCACC its quite a job.
post #565 of 1285 Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slplank View Post

Just picked up a VSX33 and for the next several weeks I will be using it with an older Sony RP HDTV that has DVI and Component inputs but no HDMI input. Two of my source components are using HDMI into the receiver and one is using component input to the receiver. I am using an HDMI to DVI cord from the receivers HDMI 1 out to the TV DVI input and I am not getting video on the TV, I do have audio from the receiver via HDMI from the source. I have made sure the VSX 33 is set to HDMI 1 and I have tried HDMI all but still no video.
I also have made sure the TV is on the DVI input.

The HDMI / DVI cable has never been used but it is old. Is it possible the pinout on the DVI connector isn't right for the TV?

Also, am I reading the VSX33 manual correctly, that I can not use HDMI inputs from my sources to the receiver and use component output to the TV. If I am going to use component output to the TV my source components must also be connected to the receiver via component?

Thanks for any input

Same question here, I'm on the fence to buy VSX-32 or SC-35 (Badly, Sc-35 is very expensive in canada). I will have 2 HDMI Input (PS3 + Satellite TV) and 2 component (Wii + DVD Burner), but my output is an old HDTV 10 years old TV. Of course I will replace it before the end of the year but not immediately. Will it be possible to plug HDMI and Component input in VSX-32 and use Component outut for my old HDTV?

If no, will it be possible to plug PS3 and Satellite with DVI?
Do you know if VSX-32 will be able to upscale with component output (480 to 1080)?
post #566 of 1285 Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM

I purchased an Elite VSX-32 in March, 2011, and many are complaining that the new iphone/iPad applications are not compatible with Pioneer's current product line. Received the following e-mail response from Pioneer:

There will not be a Firmware update for the current Receivers to work with the new application. This new application is designed for this years receivers only 2011.

Thank You,

David
Customer Service Representative

--Original Message--
Date: 03/11/11
To: customer.support@pioneerservice.com
Subject: Feature and Specification|A00001|5854134345[#1346824]

FirstName:Fred
LastName:Smith
Email:fredsmith1821@yahoo.com
City:rochester
State:NY
Inquiry Type:Feature and Specification
lstPublishers:0001
lstTitles:A00001
Inquiry:Just purchased a Elite VSX-32 and have not even opened the box. Just realized that the new iControl AV2 application will not work with Pioneer's current product line and only works with a product line not yet released. Pioneer should pay attention to their loyal customers and check out the extremely negative feedback at the Apple Store under the icontrol AV2 App and on the Pionee Facebook page. They should either offer a firmware or application upgrade for their current product line. Please advise

Voice your concern on Facebook at Pioneer Electronics Customer Service Complaints
post #567 of 1285 Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 PM

I cross posted this to the 1120-K thread since these units are virtually identical. Funny thing is after scouring the net for awhile looking for the 1120 it turned out that I could get the 32 for less money. So that's just what I did. Go figure.

Anyways..

Just unpacked my VSX-32..

Initial impressions: Nice looking unit. Can't believe how advanced these things have gotten. Sheesh, feels like I'll never figure it all out.

Since my home is still under remodel and I don't have any speakers set up yet, I unpacked it and set it up quick and dirty and hooked it up to my TV,

Quick question: Is it possible to have the AVR output the sound channel over the hdmi cable to my TV? I was playing with the Internet Radio with it but of course with no speakers I can't hear anything.

Thanks,
Michael
post #568 of 1285 Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 AM

Finally got my 33 calibrated and I gotta say the sound quality is beautiful. I'm never going back to Sony.
post #569 of 1285 Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:

^^^

good deal! glad we got you up and running...

Guys, sorry to bother yous again, but i'm having another problem, i'm hearing dialog out of my surround speakers including my L,R. I've ran mcacc a few times and done everything you guys told me to do it sounds incredible but i can't get over the dialog from every speaker.
The funny thing is that the ps3 is ok clear distiction between every channel, i have that set up to hdmi 2. The movie's i watch through a samsung 3d c6900 through the bd input. I have the player setup to bitstream.
Auto Surround is probably the best out of all of the settings as far as obtaining any kind of distinction however there is still dialog. Also the 32 set up all my speaker levels to -5, to -4 excluding the sub which was to -9 if this makes any kind of a difference.
post #570 of 1285 Old 03-17-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I have questions for owners. I am considering the VSX-32 for a theater room. There will need to be a HDMI run probably 60 ft in length. Has anyone here had experience using this receiver in a similar setup? How is the output signal strength on HDMI?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page