Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1288 Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad A View Post

In both cases only 5 speakers are active, the rear surrounds are quiet and I can't activate the modes (like prologic IIx) that add the rear two channels.

YES!

Try changing the THX SBch proccessing to MANUAL. AUTO prevents you from seeing the prologic IIx modes from showing up.

I will test this myself tonight to be sure though. It is described on page 85 of the manual.

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

NEW Sony KDL-40XBR4 Optimized Settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5245
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1288 Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdune View Post

If you listen to THX a lot, there is a THX Audio setting in the VSX setup menus that when set to AUTO, will allow the VSX to "pick" the THX decoding for the source based on the signal it is getting. It may be limiting you to 5.1.

Here is some info from the manual:

THX Audio Setting

This menu allows the user to adjust various THX features
including Loudness Plus, SBch processing, SB Speaker
Position, THX Select2 Subwoofer (on/off), and Boundary
Gain Control. Please see page 100 for details regarding
these THX features.

1 Select ‘THX Audio Setting’ from the Manual SP
setup menu.

2 Select either ON or OFF for the THX Loudness Plus
setting.

3 Specify whether the SBch processing is AUTO or
MANUAL.
• AUTO – When surround back speakers are connected,
whether or not surround back channel signals are
present in the audio signals being input is detected
and the appropriate THX surround mode is set.
• MANUAL – The desired THX surround mode can be
selected regardless of whether or not surround back
channel signals are present in the audio signals
being input.
"

I have a strong feeling that is your issue!

Thanks, but I already tried that. I have it set to Manual instead of Auto, so that I can pick, but still no luck.

Doing some google searching has led me to one idea that I will try tonight. I will disable LPCM 7.1 output on my PS3, leaving only 5.1 out put enabled and see if I can then activate plIIx or THX Select2 modes. Of course when I watch a BD with 7.1, I'll have to re-enable that output. I will report back on how that turns out. I am a bit skeptical of this solution but I can't come up with anything else.
post #633 of 1288 Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks, but I already tried that. I have it set to Manual instead of Auto, so that I can pick, but still no luck.

Doing some google searching has led me to one idea that I will try tonight. I will disable LPCM 7.1 output on my PS3, leaving only 5.1 out put enabled and see if I can then activate plIIx or THX Select2 modes. Of course when I watch a BD with 7.1, I'll have to re-enable that output. I will report back on how that turns out. I am a bit skeptical of this solution but I can't come up with anything else.

If they're enabled, you might also try unchecking all the 88.2 and 176.4 PCM options.
post #634 of 1288 Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Also, it may depend on which PS3 you have. The original PS3's could not send bitstream 7.1 channel audio. They needed you to use PCM for the 7.1 channel audio. The PS3 Slims can bitstream 7.1 channel audio.

I will double-check this, but it is a well-known and reported PS3 issue.

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #635 of 1288 Old 04-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Also, it may depend on which PS3 you have. The original PS3's could not send bitstream 7.1 channel audio. They needed you to use PCM for the 7.1 channel audio. The PS3 Slims can bitstream 7.1 channel audio.

I will double-check this, but it is a well-known and reported PS3 issue.

Quote:

It is set to LPCM. I tried it both ways, no luck. The way PS3 works (I don't have the newer slim model) is that it decodes True HD and DTS MA internally and sends an lpcm signal to the receiver. But I can tell it's playing those formats from on on screen display activated via the PS3. When I set it to LPCM, it plays Dolby True HD, if I set to bitstream, I get a warning, and it goes down to dolby 5.1 or dolby digital. In both cases only 5 speakers are active, the rear surrounds are quiet and I can't activate the modes (like prologic IIx) that add the rear two channels.

Yep, I have the older model, so I am using LPCM. Tried both just for giggles, same result, only 5.1 can't activate modes that add in the two rear channels.
post #636 of 1288 Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys, i've had my 32 since they came out, and i've been following this thread since before there was an "Official" thread. something has been bugging me though and i'm finally asking...how do I set up my remote so that when I hit DVR/BDR it changes to my DVR on HDMI 3 instead of hitting "HDMI" or "INPUT SELECT"

I should add that on menue 4b. Input Setup under DVR/BDR the HDMI Input is grayed out

EDIT: I am PEEVED that I cannot assign inputs with control ON UGH!! Manual Pg 40 foot note A
post #637 of 1288 Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 PM

EDIT: Solution found.

I changed my speaker set up to normal front height and set the front height speakers to no, then I was finally able to use plIIx and THX Select 2 and get sound out of my rear surrounds. Previously I had my speaker setup as 'Speaker B'.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

end EDIT

Quote:

Disabling all 7.1 output as well as all the 88.2 and 176.4 PCM options still did not work. My rear surround speakers are staring at me saying "silly you... you can even make use of us!" I have pm'd ss9001 and hopefully he'll be able to shed some light, although I am begining to think that this receiver simply can't apply matrixed rear surround channels to output from the PS3. edit: see top of this post
post #638 of 1288 Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Ahhhh! Tricky

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #639 of 1288 Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 AM

Quick question:

For a typical 5.1 channel setup what speaker setting should I select from the receiver's menu system (pages 17-18 in the user manual)? The manual makes reference to getting this correct prior to performing MCACC setup.

I presently have selection [E] on page 18 of the manual. 5.1 channel surround system & ZONE 2 connection (Multi Zone).

I guess I'm just looking for verification this is the correct setting for me.
post #640 of 1288 Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperActionGuy View Post

Quick question:

For a typical 5.1 channel setup what speaker setting should I select from the receiver's menu system (pages 17-18 in the user manual)? The manual makes reference to getting this correct prior to performing MCACC setup.

I presently have selection [E] on page 18 of the manual. 5.1 channel surround system & ZONE 2 connection (Multi Zone).

I guess I'm just looking for verification this is the correct setting for me.

Here's what I've discovered, others can correct me if they feel differently. If you do not really have a Zone 2, or a speaker B etc set up, then do not choose those options. Why? They will limit the surround modes that you can choose. You can pick the very first standard set up, and for the speakers that you do not have ( in your case surround rears and front heights) set them to 'No". I have a 7.1 set up, I picked option A and set my Front heights to No. Makes sense?
post #641 of 1288 Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Here's what I've discovered, others can correct me if they feel differently. If you do not really have a Zone 2, or a speaker B etc set up, then do not choose those options. Why? They will limit the surround modes that you can choose. You can pick the very first standard set up, and for the speakers that you do not have ( in your case surround rears and front heights) set them to 'No". I have a 7.1 set up, I picked option A and set my Front heights to No. Makes sense?

Yes it does, thanks!

I'll change this around tonight and then re-run the MCACC setup.

I did notice a limit to the surround modes I was able to chose from, now I know why.
post #642 of 1288 Old 04-07-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

while true for you (you have a 7.1 setup), that doesn't hold true for him (a 5.1 setup)... there would be no limitations of surround modes for him...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #643 of 1288 Old 04-07-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

while true for you (you have a 7.1 setup), that doesn't hold true for him (a 5.1 setup)... there would be no limitations of surround modes for him...

Hmmm, good point! The modes he won't be able to select, are those that add channel 6 or channel 6 and 7 to a 5.1 source. In my case with a 7.1 speaker setup it was an issue to be limited, but doesn't sound like it will be much of an issue for a 5.1 setup.
post #644 of 1288 Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

yup. a mode that creates a 6th/7th channel would never be accessible to him, as he only is 5.1...

actually, unless you changed it to the 7.1 setting like you did, you never would have been able to use the 7.1, period (it would treat the other speakers as either b or zone 2, depending on the setting)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #645 of 1288 Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

yup. a mode that creates a 6th/7th channel would never be accessible to him, as he only is 5.1...

actually, unless you changed it to the 7.1 setting like you did, you never would have been able to use the 7.1, period (it would treat the other speakers as either b or zone 2, depending on the setting)...

Not exactly.. I did have it set to a 7.1 setting. Speaker B is a 7.1 setting with channel 8 and 9 that are for front heights, or wides, set as speaker B. So I think Pioneer messed up there, they shoulda let me access those modes with that speaker setup setting.
post #646 of 1288 Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Not exactly.. I did have it set to a 7.1 setting. Speaker B is a 7.1 setting with channel 8 and 9 that are for front heights, or wides, set as speaker B. So I think Pioneer messed up there, they shoulda let me access those modes with that speaker setup setting.
Well, I never had a chance to get around to this last night, and now it sounds like I won't have to either.

Thanks for all the great advice though! I'll leave as is for now... selection [E] in the manual...
post #647 of 1288 Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM

OK,

I think I confirmed that the VSX-33 has the 2009 Kyoto-G2 Qdeo processor. Pioneer Operations could not, but here is why I think the Kyoto-G2 is in the VSX-33:

When I look at the iPhone iControlAV App, it tells me that the VSX-33 outputs in 36bit (12bit*3) Deep Color at YCbCr 4:4:4. The 2007 Kyoto only did YCbCr 4:2:2 at 12-bit per channel!

Here are the respective notes from their Product Briefs:

Kyoto-G2 (2009)
"OUTPUTS - Configurable primary HD or SD output port with 10-bit or 12-bit per channel YCbCr/RGB 4:4:4 for true “deep color” support."

Kyoto (2007)
"OUTPUTS - Configurable primary HD or SD output port
12-bit per channel YCbCr 4:2:2 for “deep color” support, or
– 10-bit per channel YCbCr/RGB 4:4:4

Here is an informative post on what 36-bit Deep Color is:

What is 36-bit Deep Color?

Quote:
Hey folks,

Still in awe of the Marvell Qdeo Technology in the VSX-33 receivers. I am on a new quest -- a quest to find out if the VSX-33's Qdeo processor is the original 2007 "Kyoto", or the newer, extra featured 2009 "Kyoto-G2"!

I called Pioneer operations to see if they could tell me. They were very kind but only had a note saying that the VSX-33 uses the 88DE2700 "family" of processors. The Kyoto-G2 is the 88DE2750, and the previous one was the 88DE2710. Here are the differences:

88DE2710 ("Kyoto") Digital Video Format Converter
The first generation 88DE2710 ("Kyoto") processor was launched at the CES 2007 and has the following features:

Compression Artifact Reduction (CAR)
3D Video Noise Reduction (VNR)
3D De-interlacing
Nonlinear scaling
2D Edge Enhancement
Adaptive Contrast Enhancement (ACE)
Intelligent Color Remapping (ICR)

This first generation processor has been used in several high-end products and was widely recognized for its performance, although the Qdeo branding was not always present.

88DE2750 ("Kyoto-G2") Digital Video Format Converter
The second generation 88DE2750 ("Kyoto-G2") processor was launched at CES 2009 with improved performance of most of the original features and two new additional features:

Compression Artifact Reduction (CAR)
3D Video Noise Reduction (VNR)
3D De-interlacing
Nonlinear scaling
2D Edge Enhancement
Adaptive Contrast Enhancement (ACE)
Intelligent Color Remapping (ICR)
Qdeo True Color
Natural Depth Expansion (NDE)

Pioneer Operations did confirm that it is "likely" that if the Kyoto-G2 was shown at CES 2009, that the 2010 Pioneer ELITEs probably have it. He could not confirm it though.

I just sent an e-mail to Marvell to see if they can tell me too

Part of my interest is that the Natural Depth Expansion (NDE) is pretty remarkable, and I'd love to know if the VSX-33 is doing that. The description of what NDE does is summed up like this:

"Output after Qdeo True Color – 8-bit content is adaptively expanded to use full dynamic range of 10/12 bit displays"

Here is another Qdeo PDF presentation from the time:

http://www.sidchapters.org/ba/Archiv...ID%20Mar09.pdf

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #648 of 1288 Old 04-10-2011, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I have my 33 setup using speaker B. I have s 7.1 speaker system. So from what your saying, the speaker B configuration is limiting my receivers surround choices?
post #649 of 1288 Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 AM

Well I just wanted to see if you guys could double check if I'm doing something wrong or probably missing something to properly run mcacc.
I set v.sb and v.height on
Drc off
dnr on
Phase on
Set sub phase to 0' With lfe bypass
I run advanced mcacc
Change speaker settings to small with crossover at 80
Rerun auto mcacc with keep speaker settings
Now I'm not sure what at this point on what to set the capture delay time, I know pioneer recommends 30 50 but honestly not sure where to set it at

I know I'm a big time rookie, however i have really enjoyed everything I've read and learned.
post #650 of 1288 Old 04-10-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

I have my 33 setup using speaker B. I have s 7.1 speaker system. So from what your saying, the speaker B configuration is limiting my receivers surround choices?

Yes. I had the same setup as you, when I had a 7 channel input source, everything was fine, but for any 5.1 channel source, I could not pick dolby prologicIIx modes that add sound to the back surrounds (channels 6 and 7) and I could not pick THX Select 2 modes which do the same. Once I changed my speaker setup to normal (with the front heights set to 'no' as I only have 7 speakers currently) everything was selectable and I was able to get sound from my surround backs while watching 5.1 channel
post #651 of 1288 Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 AM

I have now read all 22 pages of this thread and I had a question about the use of the Marvell Qdeo processor. I have just obtained the VSX 1325 (eq. of the 33) as a warranty replacement for my Yamaha HTR 6190 (eq of RXV 1800) which lost a HDMI port and I was informed that parts were not available. I presume this is because of the Earthquake in Japan, but I digress. I have been exclusively a Yamaha owner for 15 years. I got this unit as there was no direct equivalent replacement for the 6190 at Future Shop when I was told to pick a replacement. The 1325 was the closest.

I also purchased a new Samsung 55 LED Panel - the D6000. I did a calibration on the Samsung TV prior to getting the receiver and I was wondering if using the Marvell processor will force me to do a new calibration on the TV or does it override the calibration on the dislpay? The thread has not discussed this much. One poster did comment on which process would be better in dealing with the calibration for the colour settings.

On another note, when I somehow turned on the V. Conv setting on the receiver I started to notice serious bright white pixels in the dark and black sections the picture. When I turned off the video converter feature it immediately disappeared. Not sure what the feature does, but after reading the manual recommending that it be off if the picture quality deteriorated, that's what I did. The posts have been exceptionally helpful in my understanding of the Pioneer line. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
post #652 of 1288 Old 04-10-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Yes. I had the same setup as you, when I had a 7 channel input source, everything was fine, but for any 5.1 channel source, I could not pick dolby prologicIIx modes that add sound to the back surrounds (channels 6 and 7) and I could not pick THX Select 2 modes which do the same. Once I changed my speaker setup to normal (with the front heights set to 'no' as I only have 7 speakers currently) everything was selectable and I was able to get sound from my surround backs while watching 5.1 channel

Great info!!! I chose the first speaker option , and front height was already disabled, so I am all set there. Even though I am getting 5.1 surround matrixed to the SB speakers, it still shows a 5.1 image on the receiver's display. I tested it out with the THX Select 2 mode. It's not a big deal. I think it's because the original surround track is 5.1, that it will only show a 5.1 image on the display. Correct me if I am wrong.
post #653 of 1288 Old 04-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

Great info!!! I chose the first speaker option , and front height was already disabled, so I am all set there. Even though I am getting 5.1 surround matrixed to the SB speakers, it still shows a 5.1 image on the receiver's display. I tested it out with the THX Select 2 mode. It's not a big deal. I think it's because the original surround track is 5.1, that it will only show a 5.1 image on the display. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct. Enjoy your surround backs!
post #654 of 1288 Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:

You are correct. Enjoy your surround backs!

Thanks! Appreciate all your help.
post #655 of 1288 Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder357 View Post

On another note, when I somehow turned on the V. Conv setting on the receiver I started to notice serious bright white pixels in the dark and black sections the picture. When I turned off the video converter feature it immediately disappeared. Not sure what the feature does, but after reading the manual recommending that it be off if the picture quality deteriorated, that’s what I did. The posts have been exceptionally helpful in my understanding of the Pioneer line. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Try adjusting the MNR, BNR, and BRIGHTNESS settings on the V. Conv Menus. You may need to dial them down into the negatives. I had this issue initially, but after playing a bit with the VSX-33's Video Settings, I got rid of that.

Why is it happening?

When the Qdeo is changing 8bit (YCbCr 4:2:0 -- Blu-ray) color to 12bit YCbCr 4:4:4 color, it takes 4 pixels and interpolates the Luminance for each pixel. In the 4:2:0 range, the data uses the same Luminance for the whole 4 pixel block. By dialing down the settings, you basically are adjusting "how much" the Qdeo is interpolating.

Here is a good link describing what is happening when converting 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 (3rd and 4th paragraphs on the 2nd post):

What is 36 bit and deep color?

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #656 of 1288 Old 04-11-2011, 07:15 AM

I guess I am concerned about starting to do seperate calibrations - one for the Display and the second through the receiver. I will take a look at it though. Thanks for the comment.
post #657 of 1288 Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder357 View Post

I guess I am concerned about starting to do seperate calibrations - one for the Display and the second through the receiver. I will take a look at it though. Thanks for the comment.

If it is any consolation, I am a calibration nut. Been tweaking our display on and off for three years. I did not need to recalibrate with the Qdeo, but rather just set the Qdeo settings to match the "good looks" I already had.

For Blu-ray, and DVD, you will notice smoother transitions in color with the Qdeo processing ON if your display is a 10bit, or 12bit display. It will be even more apparent if your display uses 10bit or 12bit processing as well.

Enjoy! You certainly paid for the "feature".

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #658 of 1288 Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 AM

I have 5.1 set up using 9.1 configurations . However , reading this post I tried to change it with set up E on page 18 and I do not know what else changed , now my HDMI # 1 does not display and also can not be selected via HDMI input .

Can some one please tell me what I did to cause it and how to restore it and is there a I could set every thing to factory default settings .

One more thing I noticed is when I use any configuration, my sub woofer is grayed out unless I choose Large Front speakers .

Thanks
post #659 of 1288 Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbook22 View Post

I have 5.1 set up using 9.1 configurations . However , reading this post I tried to change it with set up E on page 18 and I do not know what else changed , now my HDMI # 1 does not display and also can not be selected via HDMI input .

Can some one please tell me what I did to cause it and how to restore it and is there a I could set every thing to factory default settings .

One more thing I noticed is when I use any configuration, my sub woofer is grayed out unless I choose Large Front speakers .

Thanks

Check to see in the Setup Menus if the HDMI 1 port is set to be "skipped". Change the "Input Skip" setting to OFF, and you should be fine.

Info on this is on page 39 and 40 of the Operating Instructions Manual for the VSX-33 and VSX-32.

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

post #660 of 1288 Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Check to see in the Setup Menus if the HDMI 1 port is set to be "skipped". Change the "Input Skip" setting to OFF, and you should be fine.

Info on this is on page 39 and 40 of the Operating Instructions Manual for the VSX-33 and VSX-32.

Thanks that did it .

Also, I am trying to use your video adjustments you have posted but I have a hard time getting into the video parameter and pressing "receiver " and Video Parameter button do nothing . I like to run my DVD through but at factory setting the picture not right .

Thanks again
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page