Pioneer Elite VSX-32 / 33 Owners' Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1288 Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got my Pioneer VSX-32 connected (all via HDMI 1.4 cables) to a DirecTV HR24-200 and Samsung PN63C8000. When I switch to a 3D channel I receive a message stating the TV cannot view 3D. When I connect the TV directly to the HR24, 3D works flawlessly. Has anyone else had issues with 3D and the VSX-32?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1288 Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by md_in_ga View Post

I've got my Pioneer VSX-32 connected (all via HDMI 1.4 cables) to a DirecTV HR24-200 and Samsung PN63C8000. When I switch to a 3D channel I receive a message stating the TV cannot view 3D. When I connect the TV directly to the HR24, 3D works flawlessly. Has anyone else had issues with 3D and the VSX-32?

Try turning the video parameter on the receiver to through or off. Idk if that's it or not though
post #63 of 1288 Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigoh View Post

This sounds highly scientific spelling and all

"noticeable in the bass" - so they're saying if I plug this miracle cable into my computer or TV or wherever else this cable fits that gadget will get better bass? SWEET!

Why isn't everyone doing this!

I really hope your not taking this to the bank

Is it LIVE or is it on a Sony XBR 65X950B
post #64 of 1288 Old 10-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

For those that own a MX-500 thru MX-850 remote control, they recently added the
VSX-32 to their device list. Just do a live update and you'll pick it up.

post #65 of 1288 Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:

This sounds highly scientific spelling and all

"noticeable in the bass" - so they're saying if I plug this miracle cable into my computer or TV or wherever else this cable fits that gadget will get better bass? SWEET!

Why isn't everyone doing this!

I agree...sounds like snake oil.
post #66 of 1288 Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa1 View Post

For those that own a URC MX-500 thru MX-850 remote control, they recently added the
VSX-32 to their device list. Just do a live update and you'll pick it up.

Saw that and played around with it, but none of the VSX series seems to have discrete power on/off - at least none that work with the 33. I was able to find some hex codes for discrete power on/off that do work though. Pretty disappointing they didn't include them in the IR database.
post #67 of 1288 Old 10-12-2010, 01:09 PM

You guys are crazy that 7 gauge wire will totally make my iPod play deeper base.

OK on a serious note.

Found a stupid quirk. If you're using the HDMI "on" to toggle your TV, DirecTV Box etc on/off settings. You cannot assign HDMI channels. Meaning that if you want to assign DirecTV to your Remote's DVR/BDR button to control the DirecTV menu you're partially SOL.

Example: I have DirecTV plugged in to HDMI 1. The remote is programmed to the DirecTV DVR on the "DVR/BDR" button. When I press the button it switches to that channel and is looking for signal on component/optical NOT HDMI (its grayed out).

So... if you turn off your "Control HDMI" in the settings it will let you assign the HDMI channel to DVR/BDR.

Hope I explained it well.
post #68 of 1288 Old 10-12-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detach50 View Post

Try turning the video parameter on the receiver to through or off. Idk if that's it or not though

Turning off the video parameter did the trick
post #69 of 1288 Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:

You guys are crazy that 7 gauge wire will totally make my iPod play deeper base.

OK on a serious note.

Found a stupid quirk. If you're using the HDMI "on" to toggle your TV, DirecTV Box etc on/off settings. You cannot assign HDMI channels. Meaning that if you want to assign DirecTV to your Remote's DVR/BDR button to control the DirecTV menu you're partially SOL.

Example: I have DirecTV plugged in to HDMI 1. The remote is programmed to the DirecTV DVR on the "DVR/BDR" button. When I press the button it switches to that channel and is looking for signal on component/optical NOT HDMI (its grayed out).

So... if you turn off your "Control HDMI" in the settings it will let you assign the HDMI channel to DVR/BDR.

Hope I explained it well.

I have a similar problem with the "control HDMI" function. I am using the control HDMI function in order to utilize the audio return channel from my tv. Everything works fine except everytime I turn everything on the receiver switches the input to TV/SAT instead of staying on HDMI 1. I have tried setting TV/SAT to HDMI 1, but it won't let me.
post #70 of 1288 Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith1 View Post

I have a similar problem with the "control HDMI" function. I am using the control HDMI function in order to utilize the audio return channel from my tv. Everything works fine except everytime I turn everything on the receiver switches the input to TV/SAT instead of staying on HDMI 1. I have tried setting TV/SAT to HDMI 1, but it won't let me.

This is the kind of stuff Firmware updates are for... Too bad they don't have any
post #71 of 1288 Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM

Good afternoon all, I am a new VSX-32 owner and did have one question to pass. I believe I know the answer to this, but worth asking to make sure.

I have all of my devices (DirecTv, XBOX 360 etc) connected via HDMI. I have the Turtle Beach 7.1 wireless headsets that I use with my Xbox mostly. That only offers an Optical audio connection. Is it possible to connect the wireless receiver for the headset to the Optical out on the VSX-32 and pass audio that was incoming via the HDMI connections? I have a feeling that the answer is no, but a confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #72 of 1288 Old 10-13-2010, 03:05 PM

I decided to take some temp readings since no one had posted any. This are from my VSX-32 after watching Iron Man 2 at -0 volume setting. The room is approx. 12x12 and the receiver is in open air. I took readings at a few different points.

transformer - 112.5

Heat syncs - 103-104 measured at different spots of the heat sync

Outer case:

Top 94-96
Right 86-88
Left 88
Back 90-97

Ambient temperature was approximately 76 in the room, but did start at 74. So the receiver combined with a 50" plasma, laptop, and other components raised the temperature approx 2 degrees, but this IS a small room that is a floor above the HVAC thermostat and is not central to the HVAC system. I received similar readings after my 5-6 hour Halo: Reach streak. I believe these numbers to be conservative considering, the receiver was only warm to the touch, and that my laptop (on my lap) has reached temps of 120+
post #73 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcprophet View Post

Good afternoon all, I am a new VSX-32 owner and did have one question to pass. I believe I know the answer to this, but worth asking to make sure.

I have all of my devices (DirecTv, XBOX 360 etc) connected via HDMI. I have the Turtle Beach 7.1 wireless headsets that I use with my Xbox mostly. That only offers an Optical audio connection. Is it possible to connect the wireless receiver for the headset to the Optical out on the VSX-32 and pass audio that was incoming via the HDMI connections? I have a feeling that the answer is no, but a confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks!

Your assumption is unfortunately correct. It's a no. BUT there is an alternative that I use for a simular set of surround headset. I have also made an optical connection with the three devices I like to use at night with my VSX-32. You then link it in the input assignments. You can then use that button on your remote for selecting which audio for that HDMI input.
Problem solved

post #74 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Your assumption is unfortunately correct. It's a no. BUT there is an alternative that I use for a simular set of surround headset. I have also made an optical connection with the three devices I like to use at night with my headset. You then link it in the input assignments. You can then use that button on your remote for selecting which audio for that HDMI input.
Problem solved

Tulsa,

Thanks for your reply. I am not following exactly what you are referencing to do. Right now I have HDMI from the Xbox 360 running to the VSX-32 and I have Optical out from the Xbox 360 running to the Turtle Beach receiver for the headset. I also have a second Xbox 360 that is connected to the receiver via HDMI. My intent was to connect both Xbox's to the receiver via HDMI then use the Optical out to the Turtle Beach receiver so I could use the headset with either game consoles. Right now using the one Xbox works great as I just mute the volumne on the receiver to kill the HDMI sound output and I get the sound via the headset through the Optical. But if I want to use my "offline" Xbox with a headset, I have to swap the cable to the other Xbox.

Is there a way to run both Xbox's via optical to the receiver and then use the Optical out to the turtle beach reciever and only use that when the headset is to be used. Standard sound from the Xbox's I want to use the HDMI connection. It's not a huge deal swapping the cable, but trying to streamline things as much as possible
post #75 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Tulsa,

Thanks for your reply. I am not following exactly what you are referencing to do. Right now I have HDMI from the Xbox 360 running to the VSX-32 and I have Optical out from the Xbox 360 running to the Turtle Beach receiver for the headset. I also have a second Xbox 360 that is connected to the receiver via HDMI. My intent was to connect both Xbox's to the receiver via HDMI then use the Optical out to the Turtle Beach receiver so I could use the headset with either game consoles. Right now using the one Xbox works great as I just mute the volumne on the receiver to kill the HDMI sound output and I get the sound via the headset through the Optical. But if I want to use my "offline" Xbox with a headset, I have to swap the cable to the other Xbox.

Is there a way to run both Xbox's via optical to the receiver and then use the Optical out to the turtle beach reciever and only use that when the headset is to be used. Standard sound from the Xbox's I want to use the HDMI connection. It's not a huge deal swapping the cable, but trying to streamline things as much as possible

Hi vhcprophet, a manual optical switch should work. Just plug both optical to switch and one to TB receiver. Negative is getting up and manually switching it over.
post #76 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Tulsa,

Sorry about that, there was a typo in my post that made no since(corrected).
What I have is both HDMI and Optical connections between my VSX-32 and
my Dish 722 DVR (for example). In your input definitions you can assign both
HDMI and optical to an input. Then use your remote to select which will be used at the time.
When you select the optical for that input the optical output of the VSX-32 comes alive, which is connected to your headset.
Hopes this helps.

post #77 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:

HDMI and optical to an input. Then use your remote to select which will be used at the time.
When you select the optical for that input the optical output of the VSX-32 comes alive, which is connected to your headset.
Hopes this helps.

Thanks for the response. I will have to take a look at this when I get home. I am not changing the standard HDMI input settings, correct? I didnt see a way to modify another input setting that I am not using and set the video to be from an HDMI port and the audio to be from an Optical input. I will be checking.
post #78 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I decided to take some temp readings since no one had posted any. This are from my VSX-32 after watching Iron Man 2 at -0 volume setting. The room is approx. 12x12 and the receiver is in open air. I took readings at a few different points.

transformer - 112.5

Heat syncs - 103-104 measured at different spots of the heat sync

Outer case:

Top 94-96
Right 86-88
Left 88
Back 90-97

Ambient temperature was approximately 76 in the room, but did start at 74. So the receiver combined with a 50" plasma, laptop, and other components raised the temperature approx 2 degrees, but this IS a small room that is a floor above the HVAC thermostat and is not central to the HVAC system. I received similar readings after my 5-6 hour Halo: Reach streak. I believe these numbers to be conservative considering, the receiver was only warm to the touch, and that my laptop (on my lap) has reached temps of 120+

For what it's worth, I have anecdotally observed that my Elite VSX-32 runs warmer than my 1120. I cannot explain why as they are almost identical with the box popped.
post #79 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 AM

I have a sc-35 and I was wondering if there is anyway to change what the display says when a surround decoding is being used? For example I would like the receiver to say DDigital not prologic iix but still be able to use prologic iix. I hope my question is clear.

Thanks

post #80 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Hopes this helps.

Tulsa,

I took at look at this during my lunch break. The HDMI input selections dont allow you to assign digital audio and all of the other input selections dont allow you to assign HDMI video. What am I over looking or missing?
post #81 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Tulsa,

I took at look at this during my lunch break. The HDMI input selections dont allow you to assign digital audio and all of the other input selections dont allow you to assign HDMI video. What am I over looking or missing?

Make sure KURO LINK (Control With HDMI) is turned Off.
post #82 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Make sure KURO LINK (Control With HDMI) is turned Off.

I will take a look at that this evening. I assume that is turned off in the standards settings. Thanks for the info!
post #83 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post

I have a sc-35 and I was wondering if there is anyway to change what the display says when a surround decoding is being used? For example I would like the receiver to say DDigital not prologic iix but still be able to use prologic iix. I hope my question is clear.

Thanks

I really do not think that is possible. And to make sure I'm understanding, you want the display to read DDigital while using prologic iix. Or similarly having it say DTS instead of DTS-ES.
post #84 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:

I really do not think that is possible. And to make sure I'm understanding, you want the display to read DDigital while using prologic iix. Or similarly having it say DTS instead of DTS-ES.

Basically I want it to say what the source is and not say what surround deconding it is doing. Ex: have it say dts-HD and not DDPLIIX Movie.

post #85 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post

Basically I want it to say what the source is and not say what surround deconding it is doing. Ex: have it say dts-HD and not DDPLIIX Movie.

Haha wow I re-read my response and it sounds very dickish. My apologies to you sir. And I believe I understand your question but I don't believe the pioneer engineers/programmers included that functionality even though it seems like it would be an easy thing to do/include. But I have not found anything like it after scouring the manuals
post #86 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Haha wow I re-read my response and it sounds very dickish. My apologies to you sir. And I believe I understand your question but I don't believe the pioneer engineers/programmers included that functionality even though it seems like it would be an easy thing to do/include. But I have not found anything like it after scouring the manuals

That's ok, no apologies necessary. Thanks for the help though

post #87 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM

Does anyone have any recomendations for internet radio stations? I listen to classic rock, hard rock, and some alternative.

Thanks

post #88 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 PM

^^^
You might take a peak at this link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1247904

This thread has a few databases and discussion on the internet radio. I was able to get many of the Cumulus stations to work on an 1120.
post #89 of 1288 Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM

I have a 50" pioneer elite 101.

I also have a VSX 21 rec.

I am looking at the specs for the 32, and notice it's listed as 1080P / 24FPS.

The VSX21 does not specifically state it is "24FPS" on the spec sheet.

Can someone please tell me the difference and if it's noticeable, or worth it to get the VSX32 given that I have the Elite 101 (which I understand supports 24FPS.)

Thanks!
post #90 of 1288 Old 10-15-2010, 08:58 AM

So I'm also getting the issue where after a certain amount of time you have to hard reset the receiver in order to get it to reconnect to the network. It happens when I turn on internet radio, switch sources and then go back to it after some time. It fails to connect. Even if I turn receiver off and try to use the browser and IP address to access receiver to do the the network on. It won't respond.

I don't use this feature much but it's stupid that it's bugged.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page