Pioneer Elite VSX-32 / 33 Owners' Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1288 Old 02-09-2014, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ha! I did and removed both caps. I actually called Panasonic and described my issue to them. The tech on the phone told me he couldn't help me. I asked him what the audio digital out was for and the ARC also. He couldn't help me there either. I figured he was new and cut him some slack and said thanks and hung up. Today I emailed their tech support and am waiting for a response. I appreciate your response and willingness to help JChin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1288 Old 02-09-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordster View Post

Ha! I did and removed both caps. I actually called Panasonic and described my issue to them. The tech on the phone told me he couldn't help me. I asked him what the audio digital out was for and the ARC also. He couldn't help me there either. I figured he was new and cut him some slack and said thanks and hung up. Today I emailed their tech support and am waiting for a response. I appreciate your response and willingness to help JChin

On the Panasonic enable Viera Link and while in the Netflix app see if there is another Viera Link option of either outputting audio from TV Speakers or Home Theater. If option is available set it to Home Theater.
post #1263 of 1288 Old 02-09-2014, 05:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

On the vsx 33 make sure the signal select is on digital or pcm not analog and that whatever fiber optic port your using is assigned to the correct input
post #1264 of 1288 Old 02-10-2014, 10:05 PM

Liked: 18
Hey everyone, a few days ago my ARC stopped working. I checked all the settings and nothing had changed. I powered off the system and no go. I reset the processor and redid the settings in the receiver and TV and now I'm getting audio, but not the power control. Any ideas?

Ignorance is a choice
post #1265 of 1288 Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am thinking about upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1. I am not interested in Front Height or Front Wide. I will be sending my audio as multi-channel PCM so I can use PQLS with my BDP-23FD. When setting the Speaker System to Speaker B, I understand that is the correct setting for normal 7.1 use without Front Height or Front Wide. My question is how are 7.1 BDs recorded? Are the extra surround tracks supposed to be heard from the sides or the middle rear?
post #1266 of 1288 Old 02-23-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I am thinking about upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1. I am not interested in Front Height or Front Wide. I will be sending my audio as multi-channel PCM so I can use PQLS with my BDP-23FD. When setting the Speaker System to Speaker B, I understand that is the correct setting for normal 7.1 use without Front Height or Front Wide. My question is how are 7.1 BDs recorded? Are the extra surround tracks supposed to be heard from the sides or the middle rear?

Middle rear as you described it, surround back L&R per the setup and the GUI. At least the couple of DTS-HD Master audio BD's I have.

My system 2013-14

Panasonic TC-P65ST60, TH-50PX75U, Pioneer VSX-33, BDP-150, Fios, Yamaha RXV2500-P2200x2, Infinity QLS, M&K V-75x2
post #1267 of 1288 Old 02-23-2014, 06:59 AM

BTW, I just got my NIB, NOS VSX-33 set up yesterday and I'm fairly impressed with it so far. I'm kinda surprised how much more complex the setup seems to be than with my old Yamaha RXV. Seems to sync with my 65ST60 PDP and Pioneer BDP-150 well with HDMI Control and Viera Link.

Hopefully a high-speed HDMI cable will make my Motorola QIP 7100-1 STB capable of passthrough? So far no dice with my older cable.

My system 2013-14

Panasonic TC-P65ST60, TH-50PX75U, Pioneer VSX-33, BDP-150, Fios, Yamaha RXV2500-P2200x2, Infinity QLS, M&K V-75x2
post #1268 of 1288 Old 02-23-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreeves View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Middle rear as you described it, surround back L&R per the setup and the GUI. At least the couple of DTS-HD Master audio BD's I have.
I'm referring to the ON SIDE/IN REAR option. It looks like I'd set it to IN REAR according to what you described.
post #1269 of 1288 Old 02-23-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCoyote View Post

I wired my VSX-32 in standard and Bi-amp to compare the difference. I was surprised to hear that the standard way of wiring sounded noticably better. After reading the manual I would have thought different but on my set-up it is very apparent.

Anyone elses VSX reading the phase wrong in the Auto MAAC set-up? The first time I saw it I kicked myself for wiring the speakers wrong. But I double checked them and the wiring is totally correct. The manual says to just accept and continue thru the testing but it seems very awkward to me.

Just wondering if you still have the speakers wired in the standard fashion. I have a VSX-1325 [a rebranded VSX-33] and have had the Klipsch Ref 82's front speakers wired in bi-amp since day one. Now I'm thinking of trying the standard setup. Is there a noticeable difference for the better?, and from what I read here maybe a bit less heat buildup in the amp.

post #1270 of 1288 Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC71 View Post

Just wondering if you still have the speakers wired in the standard fashion. I have a VSX-1325 [a rebranded VSX-33] and have had the Klipsch Ref 82's front speakers wired in bi-amp since day one. Now I'm thinking of trying the standard setup. Is there a noticeable difference for the better?, and from what I read here maybe a bit less heat buildup in the amp.

@TommyC71: I still have the speakers wired in the "standard" fashion. The difference in audio resolution is significantly noticeable. It was like taking a wet blanket off the speakers. Be advised: Everyone has different equipment and everyone prefers their audio differently. I strongly suggest you A/B the two different wiring configurations and decide for yourself. You might be surprised. With my Klipsch RP-5's it is drastic. My set-up is well vented and heat build up isn't a concern for me. I suspect it wouldn't be for most people unless their speaker cabinets were in some type of enclosure and/or you were using some type of heavy power amp.
post #1271 of 1288 Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 AM

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the LFE output to the front mains without changing the fronts to 'small'?

Do I need to choose a particular surround mode to do this or is it impossible?

My system 2013-14

post #1272 of 1288 Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreeves View Post

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the LFE output to the front mains without changing the fronts to 'small'?

Do I need to choose a particular surround mode to do this or is it impossible?
If you use a subwoofer, in the speaker settings, set Subwoofer to Yes, not Plus. If you don't use a subwoofer, set Subwoofer to No. In the advanced audio settings, set LFE to either Off (if there is no Off, set it to -20). If you use listening modes other than Auto Surround, Direct, or Pure Direct, that could also affect if a sources original LFE track is being played back or not.
jimreeves likes this.
post #1273 of 1288 Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM

Thanks Big C, that's exactly what I needed!

Was watching Gravity BD last night and my QLS woofers were slapping from time to time. LOTS of wall-shaking LFE in that movie.

Switched to small fronts (even though they're rated to 18Hz) and the subs handled it nicely.

My system 2013-14

post #1274 of 1288 Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I just finished installing everything since Hurricane Sandy. I use seven Yamaha NS-AP5700BLF speakers for front left, front right, center, surround left, surround back left, surround back right, and surround right--each with a 6.5" woofer and 3/4" tweeter. My sub is a Yamaha SW-P3600 passive subwoofer with a 10" woofer and a 3" port on the side of it to acousticly amplify lower frequencies. This passive subwoofer is fed by a Yamaha HTR-5935SL A/V receiver, which is connected from my VSX-32's SW pre-out to the multi-channel SW pre-in on the Yamaha HTR-5935SL. I have the crossover on the VSX-32 set to 50Hz, and 40Hz on the Yamaha. The Yamaha's volume is set to max so that those ultra-low frequencies can be nice and strong whenever there is some LFE activity going on, as recorded on the disc or broadcast. Between the stunning picture from my Samsung PN43F4500 plasma, high-quality HDMI audio/video from my Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD, and stunning audio resulting from my Pioneer/Yamaha speaker/receiver combo setup, I'd say this is the best audio/video performance I achieved so far. Now if Pioneer would release a player with a combination of DSD-to-PCM at 176.4 KHz and PQLS via HDMI! Then I'll have the best SACD playback possible as well!
post #1275 of 1288 Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:

Well, here goes. I have had my VSX 33 since 2010 and have enjoyed every minute of it. Mind you I am not a AVR wizard and had a tech from where I bought it from come out to the house and set the levels for me since I did not care for the neutral sound the auto calibration came away with. I am running a 7.1 configuration with B&W wall and ceiling mounted speakers. I just purchased a Panasonic ZT60 plasma and really prefer the Netflix app on the TV vs my Sony blue ray player. So here is the hitch, I want to be able to have the sound run through my receiver when I watch the app via the tv instead of the TV itself. I got a Digital audio out cable and hooked that up but for the life of me I could not get the sound from the tv to come through the receiver. I am sure it was a setting on my receiver....maybe. rolleyes.gif On the tv there is also a ARC (Audio return Channel) slot that accepts an HDMI. If I use this and hook this up to the receiver will this work? What input would I access on the receiver? I know I am coming across as a neophyte here but would really appreciate the wisdom from this forum. Many thanks

Did you ever get it to work? I have the same tv and receiver, the VSX-33 has to be on the "TV/SAT" input to output the audio ARC from the TV (HDMI Input 2 on the VT60 I think is the ARC one). I struggle also until I read an obscure reference to it in the manual. "That manual reads like stereo instructions!" . I don't think it makes a difference in this case, but I am using a redmere type HDMI cable because I had to go 10 feet to the receiver and didn't want a thick cable showing.
post #1276 of 1288 Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 AM

I was wondering what is the best or preferred way to receive multi-channel PCM. My issue is that I use a PS3 as my 3D BR player- it is an older model that doesn't have the codecs for DTS-HS or Dolby True HD, but I read that a workaround is if you set the audio output on the PS3 to multichannel PCM, you will be able to send decoded DTS-HD or Dolby True HD to you receiver. I've read many many posts about the debate over sound quality, compression, etc. I played with some of the surround setting cycling through Dolby Pro Logic, DTS Neo 6, THX but they did not sound like a DTS decoded soundtrack. Any help with this would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks
post #1277 of 1288 Old 03-05-2014, 05:01 PM

No I never could figure it out. I ran the hdmi from the input 2 (arc) from the tv to the third hdmi into the receiver and tried to figure out how to get the receiver to recognize it but failed. I am no techno whiz here. Then I was having problems getting my tv picture back and figured at first I messed up the settings on the receiver but it turned out I had a bad hdmi cable and switched out the new hdmi for the old one and basically back to square one. I need to get another hdmi I guess and try it again. But I also tried the digital out from the tv to the receiver and again could not get the receiver to recognize the digital in from the tv. Sigh...One of these days....
post #1278 of 1288 Old 03-06-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:

No I never could figure it out. I ran the hdmi from the input 2 (arc) from the tv to the third hdmi into the receiver and tried to figure out how to get the receiver to recognize it but failed. I am no techno whiz here. Then I was having problems getting my tv picture back and figured at first I messed up the settings on the receiver but it turned out I had a bad hdmi cable and switched out the new hdmi for the old one and basically back to square one. I need to get another hdmi I guess and try it again. But I also tried the digital out from the tv to the receiver and again could not get the receiver to recognize the digital in from the tv. Sigh...One of these days....

just wanted to share with you my exact setup- i have a redmere HDMI cable on HDMI Input 2 on the Panasonic ZT60 (don't you just love that TV??) connected to the HDMI out on the VSX-33. I have to go to the TV/SAT input on the VSX-33, even though I don't even have anything physically plugged into the back of the receiver for that input, then I finally got sound from my Netflix back to the VSX-33 and decoding Dolby Digital when it was present. My other setting which I don't know if it would make a difference- HDMI control is set to "on", I left TV audio out to TV speakers on the ZT60. I was really frustrated until I figured out you have to go to "TV/SAT" to get audio back from the ZT60. I used Monoprice's #10769 HDMI cable. Hope this helps!
post #1279 of 1288 Old 03-06-2014, 03:50 PM

Thanks. First off YES! Best tv I have ever owned. Too bad Panasonic no longer makes them. I can't say enough about the picture. That being said I appreciate your reply with your set up. I have my cable box going into my tvsat input on the receiver and at initial tv set up I do remember the option to select home theater speakers or TV and chose TV. Now I cant even find that setting anymore. I reset everything on the TV and went through set up again but alas could not find it. I am sure there is a setting someplace on the 33 that I am missing but first I have to get another hdmi cable. Not sure there is a difference in them. I know the salesmen will tell you different but my research differs from what they told me. So I wonder if I run an hdmi from the TV hdmi2m(ARC) to my third hdmi in on the receiver and switch it to tvsat if that would work or is that what you have been trying to tell me all along and I am too dense to see that. :-) Basically I have my blue ray player, cable box going into my receiver and the hdmi from my tvsat going to my TV.
post #1280 of 1288 Old 03-07-2014, 03:38 AM

From what I've read earlier in this thread and somewhere in the owners manual for my VSX-33, HDMI control has to be set to 'ON' in order for the ARC (audio-return channel) audio to work through the HDMI cable. Viera link should be set to 'ON' on your TV.

I have a high speed HDMI cable run from the HDMI 2 ARC input on my ST60 to the HDMI 1 output on my VSX-33. I have a redundant toslink cable from the digital out on my ST60 to the TV/SAT input on my VSX-33. My Motorola cable box has a high speed HDMI cable output to the HDMI 1 input on the VSX-33.

This setup gives me multi-channel audio for the Netflix app on the TV when the receiver is turned on and TV audio when it's turned off. Also gives me audio pass-through from the cable box to the TV speakers when the VSX-33 is off, as long as the cable box was the last active input when the VSX-33 was on.

The thing is, if you turn off HDMI control on your VSX-33 to re-assign HDMI inputs the ARC audio won't work.

My system 2013-14

post #1281 of 1288 Old 03-12-2014, 12:55 PM

I'm looking over page 61 of the VSX-33 owners manual " setting video options" while at work eek.gif and wondering whether you guys have made any changes to these settings on yours.

Specifically with set-top box setup connected via HDMI. My Motorola HD STB doesn't offer a 'native' output choice, just the typical 480i/P, 720P and 1080i.

Can I improve my picture quality by lowering the STB setting to 480i or P rather than 1080i and let the VSX-33 do the processing?

I presume these options are mostly unavailable for BD input?

Don't get me wrong, it all looks great as is, just got to thinkin' about tweakin'. wink.gif

My system 2013-14

post #1282 of 1288 Old 05-10-2014, 07:45 AM

Alright. I have a 7.1 surround using in-wall B&W speakers. I had to re-do my speaker set up so I used MCACC. It nailed the speaker distance but the EQ is just not there. No definition and flat. I am wondering if anyone has posted what the most optimum speaker levels are. I don't have a sound meter and really appreciate the insight I have received with other questions I have posed. thanks
post #1283 of 1288 Old 05-10-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Alright. I have a 7.1 surround using in-wall B&W speakers. I had to re-do my speaker set up so I used MCACC. It nailed the speaker distance but the EQ is just not there. No definition and flat. I am wondering if anyone has posted what the most optimum speaker levels are. I don't have a sound meter and really appreciate the insight I have received with other questions I have posed. thanks

I think it is not a good idea to take someone else EQ. Mine are adjusted in relation to the room that I have. When I moved my systems I redid the EQ part. If you have an Android phone or iPhone (or ipad) you can download sound metering applications. I know the microphone is not the best but it will still give you reading to calibrate your volume levels. I used a few and I liked it.
post #1284 of 1288 Old 05-10-2014, 05:13 PM

Thanks. I am leaning that way myself. When I bought the receiver in 2010 I had it professionally calibrated. Hindsight tells me I should have written down the settings. I am really not sure where to start, but that's where reading and more reading comes in. I appreciate the advice.smile.gif
post #1285 of 1288 Old 05-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I am leaning that way myself. When I bought the receiver in 2010 I had it professionally calibrated. Hindsight tells me I should have written down the settings. I am really not sure where to start, but that's where reading and more reading comes in. I appreciate the advice.smile.gif

ios suggestion :

for volume level:
https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/decibel-meter-pro/id382776256?mt=8

For frequency tuning
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/spectrayzer/id374929416?mt=8

Android

volume level:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound

Frequency tuning:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=spectrum%20analyzer%20audio&c=apps

I did not test the Android applications. Again the mic quality will vary from one device to another but it should give you an idea of the difference between each of your speakers.
post #1286 of 1288 Old 08-08-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer VXS-33

So, I could use some advise. I have a Pioneer elite vxz-33 with mirage suround speakers. I have a REL subwoofer which was working great. I noticed it stopped working and have just finished all my tests. IT IS NOT THE SUB. I actually can play it through the front speaker line level outs for some base, but nothing from the sub line out. Seems like it is dead. I have gone through all settings, all speakers set to small, but when I have test sounds, nothing comes out of the sub line again. Any thoughts?
post #1287 of 1288 Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis215 View Post
So, I could use some advise. I have a Pioneer elite vxz-33 with mirage suround speakers. I have a REL subwoofer which was working great. I noticed it stopped working and have just finished all my tests. IT IS NOT THE SUB. I actually can play it through the front speaker line level outs for some base, but nothing from the sub line out. Seems like it is dead. I have gone through all settings, all speakers set to small, but when I have test sounds, nothing comes out of the sub line again. Any thoughts?
Check your speakers setting - make sure they are set to small.
post #1288 of 1288 Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 AM

No picture with new cable box

Not sure whether this has been discussed in this forum before, but I could not find any mention of it.
I had my VSX1325/VSX33 set up with a Sat receiver since day one through component cables. [The Sat box did not have an HDMI output.] When the Pioneer/TV and Sat receiver were all turned on, the video and sound started right away if it was turned off already set to TV. I have recently switched to CABLE TV and the new set top cable box has an HDMI output which I input into the #1 HDMI input right beside the occupied BD HDMI input. The problem is now when I turn on the power to all 3 components using the supplied Cable remote, the sound and video does not come up like it used to. The TV shows connecting to HDMI 1 but no picture and it is only when I press either "Guide" or choose a channel from the cable remote when the sound and picture fires up. Its probably something in the setup menu I'm missing but I can't find the correction.
Thanks in advance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page