Advertisement

post #122 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

This question (or similar) seems to get asked every page.

The receiver can pass an hdmi signal to your tv while in standby mode when HDMI control is turned ON and the hdmi standby setting is not in ECO mode.

The receiver is in standby when the light is off.

Tried this and it didnt work.. Went into sys setup/other setup/hdmi setup > hdmi control (on) > Standby (normal)... While having the receiver on-- i got tv images.. But if i hit the power button on the remote-- the receiver turned off and all images stopped.. Does anything else need to be done?
post #123 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 PM

I recently purchased a VSX-33 and just tried to hook it up. I am getting nothing. I have it connected to my projector (Panasonic PT-AX200) and floor speakers (Acoustic Vienna Mozart Grand). I get no audio and no video. When I bypass the receiver and go directly from my Xbox to my projector, I get video, but when I try to go back through the receiver, there is nothing... just a blank screen. Regardless of whether I use my Xbox or my DVR for the signal source, there is still no audio coming out of the speakers and no video getting to the screen.

Any help would be appreciated. And before you say it, yes all the cables are plugged in correctly and the inputs are set correctly (checked and rechecked). The only exception might be the receiver as I cannot be absolutely certain that is it outputting via the "HDMI 1" port that I am using because I cannot access the menu due to the fact that this, of course, requires a working video connection. The display on the front of the receiver indicates it using "HDMI 1" and that is the port that the cable is plugged into so I believe that it is outputting correctly, but still no signal.

For those of you who own the VSX-33, when you hooked it up, did you get you signal right away or was there some other step that was needed?

Thoughts? Did I miss some simple obvious thing?
post #124 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopa View Post

Tried this and it didnt work.. Went into sys setup/other setup/hdmi setup > hdmi control (on) > Standby (normal)... While having the receiver on-- i got tv images.. But if i hit the power button on the remote-- the receiver turned off and all images stopped.. Does anything else need to be done?

do you have hdmi control on on the tv?
post #125 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhjellen View Post

I recently purchased a VSX-33 and just tried to hook it up. I am getting nothing. I have it connected to my projector (Panasonic PT-AX200) and floor speakers (Acoustic Vienna Mozart Grand). I get no audio and no video. When I bypass the receiver and go directly from my Xbox to my projector, I get video, but when I try to go back through the receiver, there is nothing... just a blank screen. Regardless of whether I use my Xbox or my DVR for the signal source, there is still no audio coming out of the speakers and no video getting to the screen.

Any help would be appreciated. And before you say it, yes all the cables are plugged in correctly and the inputs are set correctly (checked and rechecked). The only exception might be the receiver as I cannot be absolutely certain that is it outputting via the "HDMI 1" port that I am using because I cannot access the menu due to the fact that this, of course, requires a working video connection. The display on the front of the receiver indicates it using "HDMI 1" and that is the port that the cable is plugged into so I believe that it is outputting correctly, but still no signal.

For those of you who own the VSX-33, when you hooked it up, did you get you signal right away or was there some other step that was needed?

Couple questions:

1. Can you get the setup menu to appear via the projector?
2. Can you get sound via the tuner?
post #126 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Couple questions:

1. Can you get the setup menu to appear via the projector?
2. Can you get sound via the tuner?

Nope and Nope
post #127 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope and Nope

are the speakers set to A?

you migth have a unit damaged in transport
post #128 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:

How can I tell if the speakers are "set to A"?
post #129 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How can I tell if the speakers are "set to A"?

press the speaker button on the front panel to see A pop up, then AB, then B
post #130 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:

From the front display on the reciever i believe the speakers are set to A. Display reads "SP>A"

I thought it might be a damanged unit as well
post #131 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From the front display on the reciever i believe the speakers are set to A. Display reads "SP>A"

I thought it might be a damanged unit as well

You could have a cracked board or something that's causing a partial failure.
post #132 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How much are the 32 and 33 going for these days? (best case that is readily available to me)
post #133 of 1288 Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:

do you have hdmi control on on the tv?

Why would i need hdmi control on-- on the tv(honest question-- not trying to be smart ass here)... All im trying to do is turn off the receiver and still have signal go to the tv via hdmi.. Isnt that called passthrough? So when the amp is on-- it processes the video signal.. When the amp is in standby the signal just goes through to the tv...
post #134 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Just to be thorough, since this happened with me when using another AVR.

You mention that you're using HDMI 1 for output. This is an input port, and won't give you an output signal. You want to use the output port OUT 1 or OUT 2 for output. Then hit the setup button and you should see the display.

Again, just for completeness.
post #135 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopa View Post

Why would i need hdmi control on-- on the tv(honest question-- not trying to be smart ass here)... All im trying to do is turn off the receiver and still have signal go to the tv via hdmi.. Isnt that called passthrough? So when the amp is on-- it processes the video signal.. When the amp is in standby the signal just goes through to the tv...

Because that feature is only available when HDMI control is on. It is only available with a device (TV) that is compatible with Pioneer's HDMI control. So I would think HDMI control would need to be on in the receiver and the TV.

From pg 58 of the manual:

When the receiver's Control is turned ON, even if the
receiver's power is in the standby mode, it is possible
to output the audio and video signals from a player
via HDMI to the TV without producing sound from the
receiver, but only when a Control with HDMIcompatible
component (Blu-ray disc player, etc.) and
compatible TV are connected. In this case, the
receiver's power turns on and the power and HDMI
indicators light.
post #136 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

How much are the 32 and 33 going for these days? (best case that is readily available to me)

Got mine for 200 below list at an approved reseller. send a PM if you want more info.
post #137 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 08:21 AM

I have had the VSX-32 for 2 months now and though I'd share my review on this thread:

1) Good: Assignable HDMI Inputs (1-4). This provides incredible flexibility including creating multiple audio inputs with the same HDMI input.
2) Bad: Non-assignable BD HDMI Input. If you have a 3-D BD player you must use this input but is not assignable, therefore there is no way to get sound into other zones. Complete miss on this one!
3) Neutral: When HDMI is set to "assignable", it disables ARC (audio return channel). So I had to use the optical out to get audio from the TV
4) Good: Speaker B. Pioneer seems to be the only remaining brand to have the Speaker A/B function. All audio (including HDMI) is fed into Speaker B unlike Zone 2/3 where no digital audio goes.
5) Bad: Speaker B levels cannot be set. So you're stuck with whatever volume Pioneer decided to set Speaker B to, it's seems to be about right for me which is quite lucky. Another complete miss!
6) Neutral: Zone 2/3 doesn't get digital audio. You can't point the finger at Pinoeer for this, from my research this goes back to the music industry's lawyers who have restricted this capability so all brands have this limitation.
7) Good: SACD and DVD-Audio over HDMI. So if you have an Oppo, Denon or other Universal Blu-Ray/DVD player that outputs these formats over HDMI, the VSX-32/33 will decode.
8) Neutral: No HD Radio. My Yamaha has it but I'm not so sure it's a big deal.
9) Good: iPod Touch/iPhone app. This is well done and very cool. But the Emphasis function doesn't seem to do anything at all. The iPhone app on the Yamahas is a big joke in comparison.
10) Bad: No media streaming (DLNA). You have to buy the really expensive SC-37 to get this. Yamaha and others bring this function to a wide variety of their models. I use the xBox or CasaTunes for all streaming so it doesn't matter to me.
11) Good: Sound quality/amplifier is very good for the price point. Not so sure the SC-35 would be worth the money.
12) Bad: Internet Radio: The only streaming capability on the 32/33 does not use a service like vTuner or Shoutcast. Instead it's all manual URLs. I find this quite disappointing, If Internet Radio is important to you then you should get a Squeezebox, CasaTunes or a different brand receiver.
13) Bad: IR input. I connected an output from my URC RF to IR remote receiver into the IR input on the 32. Doesn't work, have to use the stick-on emitter.
14) Neutral: The VSX-32 appears to be identical to the VSX-1120K plus a shiny finish and a 2 year warranty. But Elite's can't be discounted where the VSX's can. Make sure you think an Elite is worth the money.

I spent a lot of time reviewing everypage of the manuals of all of the Pioneers, Yamahas, Denons and Onkyos (Integra is essentially an Onkyo). I went with the VSX-32 as it was the only one with:
- Assignable HDMI
- Speaker B
- SACD/DVD-Audio over HDMI

If you don't need Speaker B, The Yamaha RX-V867 does everything else including DLNA, vTuner and network firmware upgrades. But forget the iPhone app, it's no good. The Yamaha Aventage line falls short as they changed the whole platform.
post #138 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 AM

I have no problem with external IR control using URC products (first a MRF-260 now the MRX-1). Are you sure you are plugged into IR in and not the Control in?
post #139 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@scott...

a few things:

5) yes, speaker b has volume control.

6) true of almost every avr, but not for the reason that you state. the reason is that the avr would then require multiple digital paths, and that would be cost prohibitive (keep in mind that concept of "zones" is that they can get different material than the main zone).

13) user error.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #140 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soapbox Kid View Post

I have no problem with external IR control using URC products (first a MRF-260 now the MRX-1). Are you sure you are plugged into IR in and not the Control in?

Me too. Using IR on my 1120 and 32.
post #141 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottleslie View Post

3) Neutral: When HDMI is set to "assignable", it disables ARC (audio return channel). So I had to use the optical out to get audio from the TV

Ah, so that is why ARC doesn't work. I didn't catch that the first time I read the manula. I have already patched up the wall so I don't see me adding an optical cable between my TV and my equipment rack.
post #142 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottleslie View Post

I have had the VSX-32 for 2 months now and though I'd share my review on this thread:

14) Neutral: The VSX-32 appears to be identical to the VSX-1120K plus a shiny finish and a 2 year warranty. But Elite's can't be discounted where the VSX's can. Make sure you think an Elite is worth the money.

Not true. Different amps you get ICE on the Elite and Elite is rated to output @ the rated power on every channel at the same time.
post #143 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought only the SC's were ICE? I also read the 1120 and 32 were nearly identical.
post #144 of 1288 Old 10-28-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigoh View Post

Not true. Different amps you get ICE on the Elite and Elite is rated to output @ the rated power on every channel at the same time.

incorrect. the ice amps are exclusive to the sc series of avrs. the vsx series are a/b...

and fwiw, elites are discounted all the time... even us early adopters who paid through the nose for the sc when it came out got a few dollars off of retail...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #145 of 1288 Old 10-29-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

and fwiw, elites are discounted all the time... even us early adopters who paid through the nose for the sc when it came out got a few dollars off of retail...

Please point me in the right direction. I want to purchase a 32 from an authorized dealer but I have never seen them discounted.
post #146 of 1288 Old 10-29-2010, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

where are you located?

all you have to do is ask the dealer... just because the price on the label is retail, doesn't mean they won't sell it to you for less... i don't remember the last time i paid retail for electronics, and i get almost all of mine from a local shop...

- chris

post #147 of 1288 Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

where are you located?

Southwest PA... Soon to be located in WV. How much "wiggle room" would you say I have with the 32? ($750 msrp)
post #148 of 1288 Old 10-29-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

generally speaking, you can get at least 10% off retail...

i'm not a great negotiator by any stretch of the imagination... i usually start by asking "what can you do for me?" and go from there...

- chris

post #149 of 1288 Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 AM

^^^

+1

I got my -32 when they first came out. My high-end electronics store offered 10% off list plus a free cable without me asking.
post #150 of 1288 Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Over the phone without any real conversation, a local shop said $700 for the 32. I would guess I could talk them down another $50.

Kinda hard to justify spending $350 more for this reciever just for 12v turn on.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page