Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 1288 Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

Well, I just picked up a VSX-32 from BB. They gave me a good deal on it to go with my new 58" Samsung 8000 series plasma. It'll be a couple of weeks before I set it up though. I'm replacing a Yamaha receivers that's about 8 years old. Woohoo!

Hey Todd
I have the exact same tv and receiver. TV came from BB via replacement plan after they junked my pioneer 50" plasma. Bought the elite from avindemand.
I haven't had time to play with my system yet either much. Be curious to learn along with u.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1288 Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have narrowed my choices down to the VSX-32 and Marantz SR6005.
I posted on both sites and am trying to get feedback from people who may have tried both before settling on the Pioneer (or Marantz), and why they did.
Mostly interested in the sound quality and video scaling features of each.
If any of you can help, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
post #243 of 1288 Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvotta View Post

I just got a Pioneer VSX-32. Love it sounds great.
I have connected to my wired LAN. It gets an address and I nave verified the connectivity is working, but I'm not able to play internet radio stations.
It started for a few seconds then connection error. I'm using a Wired Linksys BEFSR41 router connected to my cable modem. The router is a bit old. The firmware is 1.42.3, Jan 28 2002.
Do I need to get a new router? I have tried to upgrade my firmware but it doesn't seem to work.

Well after troubleshooting ports and triggering on my router, I finally got the problem narrowed down then corrected.
I put a little detail here in case this could help some one. I have a wired network. The internet radio stations wold not connect. I was using an old belkin F5D5131 switch, between my linksys router and the amp. After I plugged directly from the amp into my router, I was able to connect. The problem was the old belkin. I just so happen to have another switch a Belkin 8 port that I swapped in. Now I'm connected from the amp to the new belkin to router and now I'm getting the streaming internet radio beautifully! PS: I threw out the bad switch.

Now I am going to start on Zone 2.
post #244 of 1288 Old 12-18-2010, 12:24 PM

Congratulations. Sometimes I think network issues are the most frustrating of all.
post #245 of 1288 Old 12-19-2010, 12:06 AM

Hello, I just received my VSX-32 today, and have it connected to an 8000 series Samsung 58" plasma also. I have a comcast hd box and Oppo 80 blu-ray and AppleTV connected. I cannot get any of my connected devices to passthrough to the plasma. I don't get picture or sound. I have the Control "ON", Control Mode "ALL", Display Power Off "NO", Standby Through "Normal", and TV AUDIO "via HDMI". I have played around with all the settings, and still nothing. I read through the entire forum, and have not found a solution that works for me. Is there something I am overlooking? Please help. I know this passthrough issue comes up a lot, but I just can't seen to figure it out. Thanks,

Tony
post #246 of 1288 Old 12-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post

Congratulations. Sometimes I think network issues are the most frustrating of all.

Thanks - Yes. I agree. I couldn't understand why this was happening. So much better now. Quite zippy too.
I want to now get some sound upstairs, using zone 2. I am thinking of trying to run wire, but who knows. That may be to much of a pain. BB is coming out next week to give me a complimentary consultation. So We'll see what they come up with. That Sonos gear looks pretty cool but way pricey.
post #247 of 1288 Old 12-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quick question fellas. I'm using an HP Blu ray player with my vsx-32. It's connected with HDMI of course. The Blu-ray has performed flawlessly until now. I popped in the first Pirates of the Caribbean. It works perfect with the Dolby digital 5.1 but when I select the uncompressed audio it only comes in stereo. For movies I like to use just pure direct so it should play the way it comes. I have the Blu ray player set to bitstream and I've tried switching to PCM but it's the same results. The receiver reads PCM direct under both circumstances. I've fiddled with it for about 30 mins and RTFM for about ten minutes and couldn't figure it out. Also, when i have it in direct (not pure direct) it reads stereo...
post #248 of 1288 Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 AM

Hello all- can anyone confirm, If I connect cable box & BDP to VSX-33 inputs with HDMI cables, can the video be output to a rear projection Mitsu via RGB component cables?
post #249 of 1288 Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEGSB View Post

Hello all- can anyone confirm, If I connect cable box & BDP to VSX-33 inputs with HDMI cables, can the video be output to a rear projection Mitsu via RGB component cables?

no, while the AVR can output anything through HDMI, it can only do HDMI through HDMI. You're cable box is no problem because it's not 1080p and there's no lossless audio to worry about. The blu-ray however would present a problem for obtaining the full benefits.
post #250 of 1288 Old 12-21-2010, 01:58 AM

Here's an update to my passthrough issue. I turned the Anynet-CEC off on my Samsung Plasma, and turned the CEC on on the Oppo. Now I am able to passthrough my blu-ray movies to the tv without the receiver on, but the cable box (Motorola DCX-3400) and AppleTV does not passthrough. Any one out there able to get these two to passthrough? I'm really starting to regret buying the VSX-32.
post #251 of 1288 Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detach50 View Post

Quick question fellas. I'm using an HP Blu ray player with my vsx-32. It's connected with HDMI of course. The Blu-ray has performed flawlessly until now. I popped in the first Pirates of the Caribbean. It works perfect with the Dolby digital 5.1 but when I select the uncompressed audio it only comes in stereo. For movies I like to use just pure direct so it should play the way it comes. I have the Blu ray player set to bitstream and I've tried switching to PCM but it's the same results. The receiver reads PCM direct under both circumstances. I've fiddled with it for about 30 mins and RTFM for about ten minutes and couldn't figure it out. Also, when i have it in direct (not pure direct) it reads stereo...

player setting... go into the player setup and make sure it isn't doing a downmix...

the avr will only display what it is "getting"... and we know that it will accept multi-channel pcm...

check the blu-ray player subforum for your player and see what others are using for settings....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #252 of 1288 Old 12-22-2010, 05:30 AM

Detach50 - thanks for the reply. My assumption is I can set up the BD player on the DVD input by connecting the video via RGB and the audio via HDMI to the VSX33 and by setting "Digital IN" to HDMI in the Input Setup.
post #253 of 1288 Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 AM

Ok, I want to be able to listen to internet stations but can't hardwire. What exactly do i need to buy to do this wireless? I'm guessing an ethernet adapter and a router? I already have a hardwired Verizon router for my FIOS services. Sorry to be so basic.
post #254 of 1288 Old 12-22-2010, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxac3 View Post

Here's an update to my passthrough issue. I turned the Anynet-CEC off on my Samsung Plasma, and turned the CEC on on the Oppo. Now I am able to passthrough my blu-ray movies to the tv without the receiver on, but the cable box (Motorola DCX-3400) and AppleTV does not passthrough. Any one out there able to get these two to passthrough? I'm really starting to regret buying the VSX-32.

Most "HDMI standby pass-through" are implemented to only pass thru the last selected HDMI input before the receiver is shutdown into standby.

The other HDMI inputs will not be passed thru. If this was possible the receiver may as well be on given all the processing needed to auto do this.

Lifes a beach and then you die....
post #255 of 1288 Old 12-26-2010, 12:47 PM

Greetings all.

It's nice to see a forums for this line of equipment.
I initially wanted to ask help sorting out CEC with my 32 and my Samsung LEDtv, but I recently found that my new tv is only HDMI 1.3 :-(

My real question has to do with video through iTunes... Pioneers site says yes to "iTunes Movie / TV / Video Playback". For the life of me, I can't get anything more then album art and music to play. Video will begin on my new iPod, but only sound will carry through my 32. To add to the confusion, I've read inconsistent references about playing YouTube video through the 32 somehow. I find this difficult to believe, but there it is on Pioneers website, stating the 32 will perform YouTube playback. Is this all false advertising or am I missing some mysterious configuration process?

Current knowns:
- Brand new iPod with latest firmware & software
- USB connector to the 32
- Pioneer Bluetooth adapter working fine

Q: Is there a firmware update for my 32?

Thanks
post #256 of 1288 Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 AM

While watching Iron Man 2 on Blu last night, the audio would cut out for about 1 second every 20 minutes or so. Quite annoying.

First, I would like to know if this is an issue specific to Iron Man 2 Blu-ray.

Secondly, my set up:

-LG BD370 BDP connected via HDMI to VSX-32 and HDMI to Pioneer plasma
-Audio out set to 'Primary Pass-Through' on BDP; DTS-HD MA is showing on VSX-32 readout

-Also, when pausing and rewinding/ffwdng Blu-ray movies and TV shows, the VSX-32 readout switches to 'Stereo' then reverts to the passed through codec upon resuming play. Is this consistent with everyone else?

-Lastly, while watching Dexter Seasons 3 and 4 on Blu, sometimes the audio will auto-switch to 'Stereo' and no audio will be output while the opening sequence plays. My only solution is to pause or rewind until the proper codec is displayed and audio resumes. It doesn't auto-correct itself.

I'm curious whether this is an issue native to my setup. Mabe it's an HDMI-related issue, or a bug with my LG BD370. If anyone can offer any suggestions/tips/fixes, I'd greatly appreciate it.
post #257 of 1288 Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM

I have been searching through the forum and was wondering if anyone can speak about the 2 hdmi outputs. I am considering this receiver to output all of my components (ps3, 360, htpc) to 2 displays (one in the living room and one in the basement).

I am running a 3.1 setup upstairs and may run 5.1 in the basement. I think this setup will allow me to play xbox 360 upstairs, while watching something on the htpc downstairs at the same time. I wonder what the quality is like. Is anyone running a similar setup?
post #258 of 1288 Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

no, you cannot send 2 different sources to the hdmi outs... only one...

i.e. you can't watch 2 different things on 2 different displays...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #259 of 1288 Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

no, you cannot send 2 different sources to the hdmi outs... only one...

i.e. you can't watch 2 different things on 2 different displays...

What would this allow me to do? Send the same source to both displays (i.e. xbox 360 downstairs and upstairs simultaneously)? What benefits does this have over just putting an hdmi switcher on a receiver that has only 1 hdmi output?

Thanks for helping.
post #260 of 1288 Old 12-27-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i don't recall if it will even use both simultaneously, and don't have that manual handy on this computer...

if it will do both at the same time, you will get the same thing on both display, at whatever the lowest max resolution of either display is... (i.e. if one is only 720p, that's what you will get on both)...

what benefit? none, really... other than eliminating the switch...

fwiw, for you to get two different video outputs, the avr would require two completely discrete video paths... that would add a BIG expense...

- chris

post #261 of 1288 Old 12-27-2010, 10:29 AM

I'm trying to determine whether my above problem is related to settings on my VSX-32 or BDP. Experts like ccotenj or anyone else may answer.

- I have the Video Conversion feature set to 'Off' so that it just passes through the 1080p/24 signal sent from my BDP. My BDP is set to 24Hz output, and my Pioneer plasma set to 72Hz mode.

- My BDP is set to 192 kHz sampling rate under Audio Settings since this is the maximum SR for the two lossless codecs on Blu (max. of 192 kHz for 2-channel mode for DTS-HD MA; max. of 192 kH for 6-channel mode for Dolby TrueHD)

- I would also like to know if there have been F/W updates administered for the VSX-32.

Just would like to get some feedback if others are using the same settings and if they are running into the same problems.
post #262 of 1288 Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Hey guys,

I recently picked up the retail equivalent of the VSX-33 (VSX-1325) and all is going good but I'm having a bit of an issue with my satellite video output.

I have the video being output by a DVI to HDMI cable which plugs into the back of the receiver. Then I want to use the optical audio out for volume. The audio is working fine, as in it comes through on the HDMI1 input but I'm not getting any video at all. I can bring up the receiver video but that's about it.

Any ideas on what I can try to fix that? I could always just switch to using components if I really have to I guess.

Thanks
post #263 of 1288 Old 12-27-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I just setup my new VSX-32 yesterday and I'm very disappointed in seeing that you have to hit the HDMI button to rotate through the various HDMI inputs. Next up I need to program my Harmony remote. Are there discrete codes to access an HDMI input directly?
post #264 of 1288 Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yes...

- chris

post #265 of 1288 Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I just setup my new VSX-32 yesterday and I'm very disappointed in seeing that you have to hit the HDMI button to rotate through the various HDMI inputs. Next up I need to program my Harmony remote. Are there discrete codes to access an HDMI input directly?

Yes, you can assign inputs to a button such as "BD, BVR/BDR..." in any order you like. What HDMI inputs are you needing make shortcuts for?
post #266 of 1288 Old 12-28-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexus View Post
Yes, you can assign inputs to a button such as "BD, BVR/BDR..." in any order you like. What HDMI inputs are you needing make shortcuts for?
BD, HDMI 1 (DVR 1), HDMI 2 (DVR 2), and HDMI 5 (computer).
post #267 of 1288 Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 AM

I have just purchased a new vsx-32. I'm in Canada so it's called a vsx-1325 here. Got a great deal on it so I had to jump on it.

I'm not a big technical guy so I've tried to hook up my Harmony 1100 to it and my satellite receiver as well as my tv.

When I power the system up it seams as if the remote is sending a double signal to my receiver. The receiver is turning off and I have to walk down to the basement to turn it back on. Is this a common theme with this receiver and remote?

It's soo frustrating for me.

Any help would be amazing.
post #268 of 1288 Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

turn off hdmi control (kurolink).,,

- chris

post #269 of 1288 Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I emailed the attached file to Logitech and asked them to add the Pronto codes for the specific commands. In your Harmony remote software, got to Troubleshooting\\None of the above\\None of the above\\Contact Customer Service By E-mail.

Pioneer 2010_AVR_IR_Commands_with_Hex.zip 119.3662109375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pioneer 2010_AVR_IR_Commands_with_Hex.zip (119.4 KB, 3 views)
post #270 of 1288 Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Reciever Choice?
I am looking at the Denon 3311, Onkyo 708/808/ or PIONEER VSX -32 Any thoughts?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page