Pioneer Elite VSX-32 / 33 Owners' Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
After languishing between threads, I was asked to start an owners' thread for the Elite 32 and Elite 33.

Pioneer Elite VSX-33:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
reserved for FAQ
post #3 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, cool! I've been hoping for a 32/33 Owner's thread...thanks Winston!

Got the VSX-32 myself, hooked up to an Emotiva XPA-5 amp. Now, I'm no audiophile, but I am really, really pleased with how this baby sounds and what it can do. Very happy with my purchase.
post #4 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 AM

my 32 arrives thursday. Debating whether to get the Square trade warranty as Pioneer is iffy on warranty support for ebay, etc "elite" purchases. I also looked for the owner's manual online but couldn't locate it. If anyone has a link, please post it. Thank Winston for starting the thread-let the knowledge flow!
post #5 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 10:56 AM

32/33 Owner's Manual (same for both models): http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ctions0406.pdf (9MB PDF)

VSX-32 Product Data Sheet: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...les/VSX-32.pdf

VSX-33 Product Data Sheet: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...les/VSX-33.pdf
post #6 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 AM

thank you
post #7 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywlkrsnd View Post

Hey, cool! I've been hoping for a 32/33 Owner's thread...thanks Winston!

Got the VSX-32 myself, hooked up to an Emotiva XPA-5 amp. Now, I'm no audiophile, but I am really, really pleased with how this baby sounds and what it can do. Very happy with my purchase.

I'm trying to decide between the VSX-33 and Emotiva XPA-5 amp or the SC-37. Why did you go with the VXS-32 and why didn’t you move to the SC line and skip the amp?
post #8 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blambert007 View Post

I'm trying to decide between the VSX-33 and Emotiva XPA-5 amp or the SC-37. Why did you go with the VXS-32 and why didn't you move to the SC line and skip the amp?

For me it was a matter of finances. I got the vsx-32 and started saving for an external amp :-P. If I went with an SC, depending on the sound, I would probably look into an external amp anyway. Most AV stores have return policies so I'd at least try it out
post #9 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blambert007 View Post

I'm trying to decide between the VSX-33 and Emotiva XPA-5 amp or the SC-37. Why did you go with the VXS-32 and why didn't you move to the SC line and skip the amp?

I was moving into separates...and I knew I wanted the XPA-5. Originally I was going to get a dedicated pre/pro (Emo's UMC-1), but I didn't exactly have the confidence in that product after it was released. After looking at receivers to do the pre/pro duties, it was a quick decision that I wanted to go with Pioneer.

I chose the VSX-32 over the 33 because I just did not see the value for me in paying extra for the 33. I don't need a third zone...and although I'm sure the aluminum faceplate is nice, it's not really that important to me. Although I admit a second HDMI output is nice...but not $200 nice.

I've heard great things about the ICE amps in the SC line, though I've never listened to them. For me, I got the 32 and the XPA-5 together for a little less than what the SC-35 unit goes for...and I've got more POWER!
post #10 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:

I was moving into separates...and I knew I wanted the XPA-5. Originally I was going to get a dedicated pre/pro (Emo's UMC-1), but I didn't exactly have the confidence in that product after it was released. After looking at receivers to do the pre/pro duties, it was a quick decision that I wanted to go with Pioneer.

I chose the VSX-32 over the 33 because I just did not see the value for me in paying extra for the 33. I don't need a third zone...and although I'm sure the aluminum faceplate is nice, it's not really that important to me. Although I admit a second HDMI output is nice...but not $200 nice.

I've heard great things about the ICE amps in the SC line, though I've never listened to them. For me, I got the 32 and the XPA-5 together for a little less than what the SC-35 unit goes for...and I've got more POWER!

Thanks for the input all. You must've gotten the VSX-32 for a great price.
post #11 of 1289 Old 09-28-2010, 03:01 PM

Does the vsx-32 do audio/video pass through in stand-by mode? HDMI of course.

psn: lowark

post #12 of 1289 Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM

what about firmware updates? Ok, I called Pioneer (waited a few minutes, not too bad) and was told no firmware updates.
post #13 of 1289 Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Has anyone had any luck programming internet radio stations in to their system? I have the 31 which I assume has the same internet radio function. I also own a 94 and I much prefer the Media Gallery function as opposed to this ones crappy internet radio function.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #14 of 1289 Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 AM

well, the 32 arrived yesterday and I spent several hours getting it hooked up. For a while I was getting no sound but finally I got that fixed. I spent a very tedious hour trying to get my 880 to learn the new receiver but for some reason it wouldn't do a global learn and I was forced to learn individual commands. I could not locate several buttons per the Harmony's labeling scheme and finally gave up. I seem to recall my Yamaha 663 programmed very easily so not sure why the issue. Maybe I need a new universal.

I have yet to run the room setup diagnostics but overall sound is good especially since I could swap the stock power cord for my Pangea AC-9. I listened to Elton's GBYBR in 5.1 SACD which was a real treat and watched Jeff Beck's BR-live at Ronnie Scotts also a sonic delight on my oppo 80. Obviously, the receiver needs some burn in time but so far so good except for the remote issue.
post #15 of 1289 Old 09-30-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhw59 View Post

I spent a very tedious hour trying to get my 880 to learn the new receiver but for some reason it wouldn't do a global learn and I was forced to learn individual commands. I could not locate several buttons per the Harmony's labeling scheme and finally gave up. I seem to recall my Yamaha 663 programmed very easily so not sure why the issue. Maybe I need a new universal.

Yup, I had the same problems when I tried to program my Harmony 880. At the time, the 32 was not in Logitech's database yet (don't know if it is now or not), so I ended up using another Pio receiver to get the majority of the commands working...I think it was either the 33 or the 1120 that I ended up using. Got the basics working enough so that my wife could operate it....but I still have not figured out where all the advanced buttons are. I just resort the stock Pio remote when I need to do certain things.
post #16 of 1289 Old 09-30-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Yup, I had the same problems when I tried to program my Harmony 880. At the time, the 32 was not in Logitech's database yet (don't know if it is now or not), so I ended up using another Pio receiver to get the majority of the commands working...I think it was either the 33 or the 1120 that I ended up using. Got the basics working enough so that my wife could operate it....but I still have not figured out where all the advanced buttons are. I just resort the stock Pio remote when I need to do certain things.

Which pretty much defeats the purpose of a universal I think I may take the 880 to our second home where the 663 is also headed and use it there.
post #17 of 1289 Old 09-30-2010, 12:45 PM

I ran the auto eq-satisfied but may tinker with it with I have a moment.
post #18 of 1289 Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 AM

Any word on if the vsx-33 will display 3d properly? I have seen a few guys talking about the problems they had with samsung tvs.. I am wondering if that is isolated to a specific samsung screen or its a universal problem..

I just picked up a vsx-33 and will get a 3d tv before to long.. Just hoping the problems others had were isolated issues..
post #19 of 1289 Old 10-01-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:

what about firmware updates? Ok, I called Pioneer (waited a few minutes, not too bad) and was told no firmware updates.

Can you please explain what you mean by "no firmware updates"? Do you mean to say that it is not possible to update the firmware yourself? I downloaded the manual and searched for the word "firmware" and found nothing, which concerns me.

Ben R.
post #20 of 1289 Old 10-01-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The avrs are network and will do firmware I think. Isn't that info on the web site pages for these 2 models? That it will do firmware? Or maybe the pio person on the phone said no firmware meaning none have been released yet.

I'm also glad this thread is here. I'm tired of not finding a good enough gui in an avr and hopefully maybe a new pio elite will have a better easier gui then the onky 808 i've tried and some others I've seen. I'm so picky I'm nervous I may not find a unit that I like enough to buy it. (((

One thing for sure is I sure would like to be able to have full control over an avr from my ipod touch.
post #21 of 1289 Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrub View Post

Can you please explain what you mean by "no firmware updates"? Do you mean to say that it is not possible to update the firmware yourself? I downloaded the manual and searched for the word "firmware" and found nothing, which concerns me.

The Pioneer phone rep told me that there are no firmware updates for the 32 and no process for updates. A little surprised since both my recent panny purchases updated. As this is my first Pioneer purchase ever, do they as a company utilize the firmware process?
post #22 of 1289 Old 10-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:

The Pioneer phone rep told me that there are no firmware updates for the 32 and no process for updates. A little surprised since both my recent panny purchases updated. As this is my first Pioneer purchase ever, do they as a company utilize the firmware process?

It's one thing to say that there are no firmware updates available at this time. It's another thing to say that the firmware on this receiver simply can not be updated. If that is in fact the case I would be very surprised and disappointed.

Ben R.
post #23 of 1289 Old 10-01-2010, 01:55 PM

I believe it is (and always has been) standard practice for Pioneer's receivers to not be firmware upgradable by end users. Typically, Pio AVR updates have to be done by a Pioneer authorized service center.

This is nothing new for Pioneer.
post #24 of 1289 Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 PM

But have they always had the eithernet port in place to allow a easy firmware update? If they didnt then you could see how hard it would be to get the info into the system.. But with the eithernet port and the usb port in the front-- it would be a much easier medium to add firmware to... I just picked up the vsx-33 and have some concerns about the 3d problems a few are having.. ARe those isolated issues or is this a problem for the unit? At least if there was the option for a firmware fix-- then id be feeling a bit better.. But im nervous right now for sure..
post #25 of 1289 Old 10-01-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopa View Post

But have they always had the eithernet port in place to allow a easy firmware update? If they didnt then you could see how hard it would be to get the info into the system.. But with the eithernet port and the usb port in the front-- it would be a much easier medium to add firmware to... I just picked up the vsx-33 and have some concerns about the 3d problems a few are having.. ARe those isolated issues or is this a problem for the unit? At least if there was the option for a firmware fix-- then id be feeling a bit better.. But im nervous right now for sure..

I can't believe in this day and age, one would have to take their unit to a dealer for a simple thing like a firmware update.
post #26 of 1289 Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Just had got this receiver on 09/30. I'm using it with my Martin Logan Vistas and Motif up front and Fresco I for surrounds and running a Polk DSW Micro Pro 2000 in 5.1

I'm really happy with it right now and can't wait until I get my Emotiva XPA-3 to run the front 3. I know the Logan Vistas can dip down as low as 1 ohm and I've had the VSX-32 take them up to -8 (volume) without any issues. I've gone higher for a bit but it was just getting a bit loud for my taste. (Not that there were any issues). I do know the XPA-3 will sound much better with my power hungry ML Vistas.

So if anyone is reading this worrying about power output I would say dont worry about it.

In terms of the Firmware I have to agree I think it's well... stupid not to offer that with having the receiver be network capable and having a USB port.

One thing I hope that they make available is allowing a per channel crossover. Or at least having it in increments of 5.

In a perfect world I would love to have my center crossover at 80 and the FL and FR at around 55/60. It's amazing that you can change speaker distance in fractions of an inch but can't do anything about the crossover. Seems like an easy Firmware fix.

One thing I also noticed is I can't get the sub to fire while using the PS3 Browser to play Pandora. MP3s with Neo 6 sounds much better than Pandora. I have not yet done any "critical listening".

I haven't messed with too much else but it all was pretty straight forward. Plugged it all in let the Full Auto set up run a few times and once in THX with all speakers set to small. Compared all the settings and they were withing a half inch. So I kept them and just ...well started using it.
post #27 of 1289 Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 AM

Has anyone tried out the iPhone/iPad control via the Blu-tooth adapter yet? Any thoughts, critics, etc...? I have enjoyed using my iPhone to control my Sony Blu-ray but it is a little annoying that the Sony loses connection if it goes to sleep or screen saver modes. Also cant power up unit with iPhone. Just curious if similar issues are present with the VSX-32/33.

Thanks!
post #28 of 1289 Old 10-02-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Im gonna do the same thing with my VSX-32. One thing I loved about this reciever was the ability to had on an external amp in the future. I really love the sound quality of this reciever but power wise it seems to be timid. Ive got it running 4 Polk Monitor 40s for FL,FR, RL, RR and a Polk CS2 for the center. My old Onkyo amp ran these speakers much louder but the 32 makes them sound incredible. I love it loud tho. When I turn the volume up to -16 and watch a loud movie like The Hurt Locker and it will go into protection about 20 minutes into the movie. I did turn up my levels about 3 clicks after running the MCACC a few times and gets pretty loud but nothing is worse than your avr shuttin off at climactic spots in movies. Pisses me off. Now Im saving up for an XPA-5 for amp duty in my home theater and gonna use my 32 as a pre/pro like you are doin Skywalkersnd. Gnna upgrade my speakers in the future as well

JBL Pro Cinema
post #29 of 1289 Old 10-02-2010, 10:28 AM

^^^Have you double checked your wiring? I had the same problem where when i would really turn up the volume -20 and higher. After 5-15 minutes the amp would shut off and the iphone light would flash. It turned out that my individual banana plugs on a front speaker were actually touching. Kinda weird that even with them touching everything ran fine until it was turned up high for awhile.
post #30 of 1289 Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Got this unit a few weeks ago.. got a couple questions.

Can you play the ipod through the cable that is provided and be able to watch the tv on say the dvr feed? I have a DVR, PS3, XBOX 360 all hdmi into the receiver and one hdmi to the TV (panasonic g20).

With the control function is it possible to turn on the TV and have the receiver be automatically turned on as well? I turned the Control function on and can only get them both to turn OFF at the same time but not on.

I have the TV wall mounted and quite a few cables (power, hdmi, FR FL C SR SBR speaker cable) running in a cable cover down to the entertainment system. After I ran this set up I got some crackling during iPod playback but not during TV or bluray playback. Is this because the power cable is running with the speaker wire? I havent been hearing any humming or anything like that.

Since this is my first home theater build and first decent receiver Im a little new to all this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page