HDMI output/input to amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey peeps

Me old man was telling me the other day that he got told that for the best out of a home cinema system, its best to have a HDMI input/output from your amp. I cant remember if he said input or output. So from the blu-ray player, you have a HDMI cable connecting to the back of the amp. And this is better than having it connected via an optical cable. (which is how i have mine)

Can anyone share light on this and simplify it for us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Optical and coax are compressed audio signals and are very similar to an mp3 in sound quality - hdmi audio is an uncompressed signal stream and usually carries better sound quality.

The usual connections are from a source such as a cable or satellite box or bluray player to the AVR (more than an amp) connected by hdmi cable where the audio and video signals are processed and sent to the digital sound processor (DSP) and the video processor (VP).

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thats it, now you mention it, he did say something about compressed and uncompressed.

You say the connections are usually from a Blue-ray player, my PS3 has only got 1 HDMI output on it which goes to the tv. Does that mean i wont be able to go down this road with the PS3?
post #4 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

And sorry, but whats an AVR? Is that not an amp or is it a different type of amp. (better)
post #5 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

If your current AVR can process HD audio signals then connect the hdmi from the ps3 to the AVR then another hdmi cable to the tv for video. Some ps3s have to be set to bitstream to get the signal to the AVR. I'm not up on ps3s.

An amp is just that - all it can do is amplify a signal and send it to the speakers. An AVR - audio video receiver processes audio & video signals and contains 5 or 7 channels of amplification.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah i got my PS3 set to bitstream. So i gotta have HDMI from the PS3 to the AVR. Then from the AVR, a HDMI cable to the TV?

I take it the yamaha DSP-A2 isn't an AVR then. Just a normal amp. Any idea of some decent AVR's?
post #7 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:

And sorry, but whats an AVR? Is that not an amp or is it a different type of amp. (better)

AVR = Audio Video Receiver.

AVR has an amp, tuner (radio), digital processing, tone controls, video switching and processing, inputs/outputs, speaker terminals, etc all in one box.

An true amp just provides power and has speaker terminals on the back. No inputs/outputs, volume control, audio/video connections. This Emotiva XPA3 would be an example of an amp.

You probably mean a receiver when you say amp. Here is a common audio-video receiver, Pioneer VSX-1120. Notice all the connections on the back?
LL
LL
LL

Afro GT
post #8 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Your DSP-A2 is a receiver. It contains a 5 channel amp within it. It processes audio - digital and analog. And it's a decent receiver - AVR - whatever - but an amp it ain't. It also doesn't have hdmi connections - if you want the latest audio formats from it check the back to see if it has 6 or 8 channel direct inputs. If it does you can get a blu ray player that has direct 6/8 channel outputs and connect them up. Lots of cables but should sound great. I don't think the ps3 has direct channel output jacks.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #9 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
While it's true that HDMI and equipment that can process lossless audio will provide the best possible quality, the optical output from your PS3 also provides exceptional sound. I doubt you'd hear much difference, perhaps none at all.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have noticed some people use the term amp, when they really mean receiver. Wondering if that's a regional thing, or something. IMO, in the context of consumer AV gear, amp=amplifier=power amplifier="device with no features other than amplifying it's inputs - no switching, no preamp, nothing but a power amp"

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #11 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I have noticed some people use the term amp, when they really mean receiver. . .

... or maybe they really mean 'integrated amp'...?

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #12 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

OK cheers for the replies guys. I got alot to go away with and read up on. If you say there's not a great deal of difference between optical connection and HDMI connection, im quite happy to stay with the optical connection i got now.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page