Will this sub be suitable for my Denon 1611? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a totally beginner in home theater stuffs. I bought a Denon 1611 AVR, and was planning to buy Monoprice 4929 in-wall sopeaker, and Polk Audio PSW10 from Amazon for under $100.

Questiosn here:

1. Will this SW be suitable for my AVR? If not then what do you suggest (no more than $150) ?

2. On the back of AVR there is one single connector for subwoofer (PRE OUT), and on the back of SW it has Line In (L/R) and 4 pairs of speaker inputs. How exactly do I connect the SW to the AVR?

3. I saw on some reviews complaining this SW does not have LFE input. Do I need to concern about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-08-2010, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The absolute cheapest sub I can ever recommend is the BIC F12 (~$190) The cheap Polk subs are just garbage.

I don't think you're going to like those monoprice speakers either...

Do you have to use in-wall speakers?
post #3 of 5 Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
1. If you have a small/med sized room that sub will be fine (although it really boils down to personal preference and how much bass you like to feel), although with only a $150 budget, there's not really much room to improve. At that price you may want to consider buying another one if you decide you want more bass.

2. Read the sub Owner's manual. On some subs with a L/R line in, it will say to plug the digital coax cable from the AVR into the "L" input, while others suggest connecting to a "Y" RCA splitter and then connecting each end of the splitter to each of the "L" and "R" inputs on the sub.

3. No. See #2 above.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 5 Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply.

Palehourse,
Regarding to in-ceiling speakers, my living room is open space design, since there is no border / wall / spiltter between itself and the kitchen adjacent to it, I have to put in-ceiling speakers for side and rear surrounding. However I will be able to use bookshelf or on-floor for front, but what to buy is undecided yet.

Regarding to the SW, I don't mind raising my budget a little bit, but the BIC F12 is really too large for me (overall 20" wide), I can spend a little bit more than $200, but prefer 8" or 10" size.

jdsmoothie,
I will use this system for watching movie instead of listening to music, so bass experience is (kind of) important to me. But from the AVR I pick, you can see that I'm using veyr low-end equipments.

I don't mind raising my SW budget a little bit higher, say what can $200 buy me to provide better movie watching experience than the Polk Audio PSW10 ?
post #5 of 5 Old 10-08-2010, 10:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
I don't have any personal experience with the PSW-10, however, it seems to get good reviews on Amazon. Ideally, try to get over to a Best Buy/Magnolia (still sells for $200 there) and demo a few different subs.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page