$1600 HT Receiver recomemdations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need an HTR that has 2 HDMI outputs (but only has to drive one at a time), does excellent upscaling, and sounds great. I'm open to used equipment. I don't care about 3D. I like bells and whistles, but not required. I use a Harmony One to control my equipment. Also love Apple stuff and have a lot of their equipment. However, I do use a Win7 HTPC. Thanks for the recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think the Pioneer SC-35 would fit the bill perfectly!
post #3 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you do not need 3D - Onkyo 5007 can be found for that price.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The Denon 4310 --- or Onkyo NR3007 --- or NR5007 --- or the above mentioned Pioneer SC-35 --- Integra DTR 70.1.

You should find all of those within your budget.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

the pioneer was my first choice, because of how cool the amps supposedly run. i was also wondering what ppl think of marantz, denon, and yamaha, since they have some new units out. i think i'll try to hit bb soon and give a listen.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 01:57 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsamsel View Post

the pioneer was my first choice, because of how cool the amps supposedly run. i was also wondering what ppl think of marantz, denon, and yamaha, гsince they have some new units out. i think i'll try to hit bb soon and give a listen.

Running cool does not mean running good. I wouldn't use Pioneer for music. In Maranz you pay more for label, rather than content. Real contenders are Onkyo and Denon.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 PM

djsamsel,
I'm also looking for a new receiver and don't care about 3D but ethernet connection is an absolute must as I've got over 60Gig of music on my network. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1400 and have been very pleased but it doesn't have HDMI...and now I have a BD, PVR and an EPSON UB1080P pro-cinema projector. That being said, my focus is mainly listening to music not home theatre. I have Totem Accoustic Model 1's in front with a Velodine 10in Sub. I'm currently looking at these amps.

Integra DTR50.2
Marantz SR7005
Yamaha RX-A3000
Cambridge Audio Azur 650R

I haven't actually listened to them all with the same speaker set up but if anyone has some evidence that one of these is significantly superior sonically, I'd love to hear it.

Regards,
LG
post #8 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 02:05 PM

BTW, the reason Denon isn't in the running here even though the sound quality is good is because their on-screen user interface is rudimentary and they should be ashamed to have that representing such a fine quality piece of gear.......command line in 2010.....come on Denon...really!
post #9 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

ap1, interesting that you don't like pioneer for music. there are a lot of people who disagree with you about the ICE amps. i'm going to try to hear them this week. a lot of people also seem polarized about the SQ and build quality of onkyo since the 07 series came out.

igood92, i was also thinking aobut cambridge audio, but there are too many people reporting failure of the entire rcvr for me to head down that road. i have to admit, i love the aesthetics of the new marantz stuff, but my equipment is tucked away and really "heard and not seen."
post #10 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 02:21 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgood92 View Post

BTW, the reason Denon isn't in the running here even though the sound quality is good is because their on-screen user interface is rudimentary and they should be ashamed to have that representing such a fine quality piece of gear.......command line in 2010.....come on Denon...really!

You see GUI once, when you do initial setup. So it does not matter how nice it is if it serves its function. Quality of audio/video is more important than bells and wistles.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
That's a bit like ssaying it doesn't matter what the design of a Porsche looks like as long as it drives fast. Not a valid story when you are dealing with premium products.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 04:25 PM

ap1
I meant the network interface, not the setup interface....and that is vital to the operation accessing my home network. Like I said, Denon sounds great but that interface is from the 80's and they should be embarrassed.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Denon 3311 + Emotiva UPA-7 or XPA-5
post #14 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
You have to remember with the Pioneer, even though the amps are "Class D", it's still a receiver with a ton of electronics and video processing. The idle power-- around or more than 100W (and often more with full video/audio processing engaged)--will be the same as any other AV receiver.

The receiver isn't going to "run cooler" just because the speaker amplifier section is different (especially if you are just watching TV, using only a few watts of amp power). It can still overheat while idling in a cabinet or with high ambient temps.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-13-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

You have to remember with the Pioneer, even though the amps are "Class D", it's still a receiver with a ton of electronics and video processing. The idle power-- around or more than 100W (and often more with full video/audio processing engaged)--will be the same as any other AV receiver.

The receiver isn't going to "run cooler" just because the speaker amplifier section is different (especially if you are just watching TV, using only a few watts of amp power). It can still overheat while idling in a cabinet or with high ambient temps.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I had read several threads talking specifically about the difference in temps b/w the Pioneer D receivers and Onkyo's. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to hear them.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page