avr-3310ci or tx-nr807 as pre/pro?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Alad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just ordered my new Emo UPA-5 to power my Def techs
bp7002's, clr2500 and BPX's and I have 2 bp1.2x's I can use for height speakers. 90% Movies. Room is 18Wx12Dx9H

I'm coming off of a rx-v1700. It's been great, but time to upgrade.

I've been looking at the 3310ci and the nr807 because of price (ca. $600), up-to-date processing, at least 5 hdmi inputs and pre-outs of course. Was sticking with a receiver rather that a processor so that I could eventually use it to power the height speakers.

Love to hear any comments, opinions and suggestions.
Denon vs Onkyo, Achor bay vs Faroujda, other suggestions meeting the criteria, can you turn off the integrated amps in both when running an external amp, etc.

Thanks in Advance.
Alad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The 3310 has better video performance - the Onkyo has networking. I wouldn't let video performance color your decision if I were you. IMO video pass through is more important. If you need better video performance take a look at the Pioneer VSX-1120 - it's video performance is pretty good from what I've read.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Alad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The 3310 has better video performance - the Onkyo has networking. I wouldn't let video performance color your decision if I were you. IMO video pass through is more important. If you need better video performance take a look at the Pioneer VSX-1120 - it's video performance is pretty good from what I've read.

Thanks knucklehead I will look into the 1120 as well.

Any thing else I should consider when looking thru things?
Alad is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Not really. Since you will be using an external amp those three should all perform equal.
One note - the Denon does have networking - I was thinking the 2310 earlier - duh! - that one doesn't have preouts.
Note on the 1120 - it is not user friendly when it comes to firmware updates - you'll need to send it to an authorized Pioneer repair center for that. Kind of a bugaboo but it seems like a solid performer in the few months its been out.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
owned both - denon's network performance is not there despite the fact their video performance is very good.

i would recommend a PIONEER vsx-1120 IN PLACE FO BOTH FRANKLY
winston9332 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Not really. Since you will be using an external amp those three should all perform equal.
One note - the Denon does have networking - I was thinking the 2310 earlier - duh! - that one doesn't have preouts.
Note on the 1120 - it is not user friendly when it comes to firmware updates - you'll need to send it to an authorized Pioneer repair center for that. Kind of a bugaboo but it seems like a solid performer in the few months its been out.

Do not know if you have owned all three like i have, but i would say you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG. The denons have media cards that are about as reliable as the bolivian post office.

Pioneer 1120 is a much more stable option in my experience compared to the 3310ci and offers wide processing without an additional $100 and better video processing.
winston9332 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The 3310 has better video performance - the Onkyo has networking. I wouldn't let video performance color your decision if I were you. IMO video pass through is more important. If you need better video performance take a look at the Pioneer VSX-1120 - it's video performance is pretty good from what I've read.

Right. 1120 is noticeably better than the abt 2010 in the denon 3310. Don't get me wrong, both are great receivers, but the value edge is to the 1120 by a landslide
winston9332 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Do not know if you have owned all three like i have, but i would say you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG. The denons have media cards that are about as reliable as the bolivian post office.

Pioneer 1120 is a much more stable option in my experience compared to the 3310ci and offers wide processing without an additional $100 and better video processing.

Not sure where I was 'ABSOLUTELY WRONG' as you put it.

You didn't clarify your shout.

So tell me - what part about that 1120 firmware update am I wrong about?

And I have no idea what a Denon media card is. I do own an Integra DHC 40.1 which is based on the NR807 so I do have some familiarity with the NR807. If/when there is a firmware update I simply push a few buttons on the remote and wait 5 minutes.

As for Denon charging $100 for the wide/height features to be enabled - highway robbery IMO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Right. 1120 is noticeably better than the abt 2010 in the denon 3310. Don't get me wrong, both are great receivers, but the value edge is to the 1120 by a landslide

You should learn to qualify your opinions - and that is what you've stated opinion - not fact.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Alad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off thanks so much for the feedback guys! Its really got me looking into the 1120. Do you know if the 1120's amps can be turned off when an external amp is being used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Do not know if you have owned all three like i have, but i would say you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG. The denons have media cards that are about as reliable as the bolivian post office.

Pioneer 1120 is a much more stable option in my experience compared to the 3310ci and offers wide processing without an additional $100 and better video processing.

Curious too about what knucklehead got ABSOLUTELY WRONG.
Alad is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Alad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

owned both - denon's network performance is not there despite the fact their video performance is very good.

i would recommend a PIONEER vsx-1120 IN PLACE FO BOTH FRANKLY

Any comments on sound quality differences between the units?
Alad is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Alad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So does it make any sense to spend a bit more money and get a higher end receiver (maybe an elite) or is the 1120k a perfect fit?
Alad is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I doubt that you'll hear much - if any - differences between these AVRs - or any others as well. They'd be very subtle at best. Speakers and rooms will do more to color the sound.

As for winston - I guess we need to remember he has a new toy in his box and thinks everyone should put this this new toy in their box as well.

With the issue of no customer firmware update path, having to send it to an authorized service center makes it a PITA should it need an update - and at some point it most probably will need one - so contrast 5 minutes vs 1-2 weeks to get an update. If you live in a rural area like I do it'll be at least a week in transit.

There are a lot of other toys you can put in the box.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off