Audio delay in rear surround speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do most modern receivers support setting a custom delay timing for the rear speakers? Whoever set up my parents sound system bought a cheap Sony str-de197 which from my research does not support that delay. They have a lot of ceiling speakers in their house and they are all hooked up to that receiver and when they are watching TV, there is a delay between the tv speakers and the surround ceiling speakers. I was thinking of getting them a better receiver which supports setting a custom delay timing.
Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post

Do most modern receivers support setting a custom delay timing for the rear speakers? Whoever set up my parents sound system bought a cheap Sony str-de197 which from my research does not support that delay. They have a lot of ceiling speakers in their house and they are all hooked up to that receiver and when they are watching TV, there is a delay between the tv speakers and the surround ceiling speakers. I was thinking of getting them a better receiver which supports setting a custom delay timing.
Thanks
Mike

That is a stereo receiver so there are no "surround" speakers and there are no distance or level settings. It has 2 sets of speaker outputs which play the same signal. Having no idea how your parents set-up is wired, I can't comment on the specific reasons why they are experiencing a delay.

All surround receivers will allow you to set distance settings. Heck, most modern receivers do it for you!
post #3 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am resurrecting my old thread as I am looking into this issue for my parents again. Will most current surround receivers output 2 different signals to 2 sets of speakers? What is that feature called?
Thanks
post #4 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post

I am resurrecting my old thread as I am looking into this issue for my parents again. Will most current surround receivers output 2 different signals to 2 sets of speakers? What is that feature called?
Thanks

A surround receiver will output separate signals to each of its channels whether it is 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 etc.  If I'm reading correctly I'm assuming they were using the TV speakers in addition to the stereo receiver and there was a delay between those two audio signals.  Your best bet is to do one or the other (TV or receiver) and not both.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str De197 Audio Video Stereo Receiver Strde197
Gear in this thread - De197 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page