Denon AVR-4311CI Problems/Issues..Let's figure them out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As an early adopter of this unit, one of the problems several posters has discussed is HDMI audio Dropouts, the other is a disappearing GUI.

For me, this has happened only on the DVR input but, for all I know it could be happening on other inputs as well but, hasn't manifested itself yet.

The missing GUI also seems to be happening on the DVR input, but again since 75% of my viewing is on DVR it may happen on other inputs but, not been heard yet.

In the HDMI audio dropout issue, all I need to do is switch to another input then back and the sound re-syncs.

In the missing GUI, a hard power recycle is required as input switching and putting it into standby does not resolve the missing GUI. Weird thing is that on other inputs the GUI does appear but, not on DVR.

**When I say GUI I mean the volume bar specifically, hitting the menu button does bring up the setup and menus in the Denon.

Let's try and solve these issues or narrow them down to present to Denon so they can reproduce them and solve them. THX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 10-26-2010, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Are Audyssey/other settings maintained after recovering?

Noah
post #3 of 61 Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

The audyssey settings do not change or reset, they remain configured correctly.
post #4 of 61 Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by beever View Post

As an early adopter of this unit, one of the problems several posters has discussed is HDMI audio Dropouts, the other is a disappearing GUI.

For me, this has happened only on the DVR input but, for all I know it could be happening on other inputs as well but, hasn't manifested itself yet.

The missing GUI also seems to be happening on the DVR input, but again since 75% of my viewing is on DVR it may happen on other inputs but, not been heard yet.

In the HDMI audio dropout issue, all I need to do is switch to another input then back and the sound re-syncs.

In the missing GUI, a hard power recycle is required as input switching and putting it into standby does not resolve the missing GUI. Weird thing is that on other inputs the GUI does appear but, not on DVR.

**When I say GUI I mean the volume bar specifically, hitting the menu button does bring up the setup and menus in the Denon.

Let's try and solve these issues or narrow them down to present to Denon so they can reproduce them and solve them. THX

Do you have the DVR set to output at a fixed video setting? Of not, this is a very known well documented issue. It may well be affecting your dropped GUI as well. My Tivo had issues until I set it to send everything out 1080i.
post #5 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
I haven't experienced any of these issues with my 4311.

My DVR outputs 480, 720p, and 1080i just fine. No dropouts of any kind (audio or video).

My GUI has never messed up on me.

Using my Xbox 360 (launch day machine) and component output, I do not get the volume bar because I have my Xbox set to output 1080p. This works the same way on my Denon 3808.

Ask batpig for the details!

I have a Denon 3808 so I would notice any anomalies.

BTW, I understand your frustration, but all of this should really be kept in the official thread, IMHO of course.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #6 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

SEATTLE: I have all of the scaling disabled on all inputs and have everything set to auto, no fixed outputs.
post #7 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 645
I have not observed either of the issues that Beever has reported. I have had my 4311 approximately three weeks.
post #8 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I spent about an hour troubleshooting and here is what I found...

The DVR input will not display the volume GUI no matter what I do. Power off from remote or front panel, unplug power cord from rear or plug other HDMI sources into it, no GUI when plugged into HDMI 4. So now I know it is that specific DVR/HDMI 4 input that no longer displays GUI. It won't even display the default "DENON" logo screen like the other inputs do when nothing is connected to it. Nor, will it show the black box indicating the source and HDMI input when switching between sources.

Very strange. When I connect the same DVR source into any other HDMI input using the same cable, it shows the GUI. So, I know its not my DVR or that specific HDMI cable.

Any ideas?

That is also the only input that has manifested itself with Audio dropouts as well, so I am thinking this is a faulty HDMI input, specifically HDMI 4/DVR. Weird thing is that it does pass perfect video 100% of the time and audio 99% of the time, just no GUI and very rare audio droputs.

The easiest solution is to just use one of the other HDMI inputs and call it a day. I have 2 or 3 extra inputs that are unused so it isn't a big deal but, it is a PIA! (pain in the a..)
post #9 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

That is also the only input that has manifested itself with Audio dropouts as well, so I am thinking this is a faulty HDMI input, specifically HDMI 4/DVR. Weird thing is that it does pass perfect video 100% of the time and audio 99% of the time, just no GUI and very rare audio droputs.

The easiest solution is to just use one of the other HDMI inputs and call it a day. I have 2 or 3 extra inputs that are unused so it isn't a big deal but, it is a PIA! (pain in the a..)

If it is indeed a faulty HDMI 4 input on the 4311, then just how in the world can you basically call it no big deal on a brand new $2k AVR?

To even say that just ignoring it and that using another HDMI input instead is the easiest solution, is just totally ridiculous and also foolish. And it certainly is not any solution at all for a defect in a brand new AVR that you just recently bought! Either send/take it back to where you bought it from for a replacement, or have it fixed by a Denon service center.
post #10 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

OK, I spent about an hour troubleshooting and here is what I found...

The DVR input will not display the volume GUI no matter what I do. Power off from remote or front panel, unplug power cord from rear or plug other HDMI sources into it, no GUI when plugged into HDMI 4. So now I know it is that specific DVR/HDMI 4 input that no longer displays GUI. It won't even display the default "DENON" logo screen like the other inputs do when nothing is connected to it. Nor, will it show the black box indicating the source and HDMI input when switching between sources.

Very strange. When I connect the same DVR source into any other HDMI input using the same cable, it shows the GUI. So, I know its not my DVR or that specific HDMI cable.

Any ideas?

Video convert is not off correct for this input? Have you tried plugging a different device into same hdmi slot?
If you have and it's still an issue, I would say you don't have an issue, but a defect. The only way to solve that is to get a replacement or have denon repair. Also, this maybe something fir the owners thread. I am sure other potential or current owners could learn from.

In search of video bliss...
post #11 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Video convert is OFF and other devices plugged into the same HDMI input have the same no GUI issue.

It is a bigger deal for me to be without a receiver for weeks or to unplug everything and recalibrate all my settings for an HDMI input that just cannot display the volume GUI.

Am I happy about it, no I am not but, I could plug a less used device into that HDMI 4 slot if needed but, for now I have 3 extra inputs that I am not using that will suffice.

I understand how you would call it a defect and would return it but, to me it is a minor nuisance that has a very simple workaround and even if I get 2 more components that need HDMI I will still have 1 more fully functioning input as well as the "faulty" HDMI 4.

Not happy but, I can live with it and hope it is a bug that will get fixed. Hope.
post #12 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:

Video convert is OFF and other devices plugged into the same HDMI input have the same no GUI issue.

It is a bigger deal for me to be without a receiver for weeks or to unplug everything and recalibrate all my settings for an HDMI input that just cannot display the volume GUI.

Am I happy about it, no I am not but, I could plug a less used device into that HDMI 4 slot if needed but, for now I have 3 extra inputs that I am not using that will suffice.

I understand how you would call it a defect and would return it but, to me it is a minor nuisance that has a very simple workaround and even if I get 2 more components that need HDMI I will still have 1 more fully functioning input as well as the "faulty" HDMI 4.

Not happy but, I can live with it and hope it is a bug that will get fixed. Hope.

When I set "Video Convert" off for any of my HDMI devices, the On-screen volume control is no longer displayed. When I set "Video Convert" on, the volume control is once again displayed.

Whether this is a bug or not, it certainly is peculiar behavior. Having said that, the solution is pretty simple--set Video Convert to On. Is there a reason why you want this setting off? Getting a new unit may result in exactly the same behavior.
post #13 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 09:52 AM

When your 4311 drops the audio the signal, what audio mode is your 4311 in at that time? I ask because mine is dropping the audio once in awhile while in 2.0, it hasn't happened in 5.1. yet
post #14 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

AUSTINJERRY: You win the prize brother!

Put this one in a sticky, when you set any input to video convert OFF it disables the OSD volume control. I set all of my devices to Video Convert ON and voila, Volume display is back on.

This thread is a perfect place to post issues, I was almost ready to return my unit for another one and just one setting fixes everything. Mucho Gracias!!!
post #15 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Put this one in a sticky, when you set any input to video convert OFF it disables the OSD volume control. I set all of my devices to Video Convert ON and voila, Volume display is back on.

This thread is a perfect place to post issues, I was almost ready to return my unit for another one and just one setting fixes everything. Mucho Gracias!!!

It doesn't fix the audio dropout, does it?
post #16 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

FYZZ: It may very well fix the audio dropouts, I haven't had enough time transpire to see if it presents itself again. If I get another audio dropout I will post about it.
post #17 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

Beever,

The manual specifically states the video convert function being off will disable the on screen display. This was exactly why I asked if video convert was off for the input you were having issues with.

In search of video bliss...
post #18 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Video convert is not off correct for this input?

Quote:

Not really ... mariob33 would actually win the prize as he mentioned if first.

Quote:

Again, not really as the same folks in the 4311 thread are responding to you here which is why any issues are better discussed in the "Official" owners thread to avoid the redundancy.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #19 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

beever,

This was not an issue, but pilot error. I still feel people will get more bang from other "Official owners" which is where most people will frequent as opposed to this thread. Having two threads will only create confusion and misinformation.

Again, just my $.02.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #20 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Again, not really as the same folks in the 4311 thread are responding to you here which is why any issues are better discussed in the "Official" owners thread to avoid the redundancy.

jdsmoothie,

I'm with you. We've already had one "issue" that was pilot error. How many more of those will we see posted. The "Official" owners thread encompasses everything as it should. Also, as I stated in previous post the word "issue" has a negative vibe attached to it and could send the wrong message to perspective buyers. As the page count grows readers will think that there are wholesale problems with the player, when there may be 4 or 5 posters (not singling anyone out) posting repeatedly about the same problem and other forum members responding.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #21 of 61 Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N24color View Post

When your 4311 drops the audio the signal, what audio mode is your 4311 in at that time? I ask because mine is dropping the audio once in awhile while in 2.0, it hasn't happened in 5.1. yet

I am also experiencing audio dropouts in 2.0, more specifically they have only happened so far when it is a 2.0 source and the surround mode is Dolby PLII or DTS Neo:6. I currently only have 5.0 speakers (an Epik Legend subwoofer is coming Friday for 5.1) so I haven't tried Dolby PLIIx/z. I have not experienced any dropouts in 2.0 stereo mode or with native 5.1 sources.

I've noticed it both with a TiVo HD and a TiVo Premier, basically whenever I leave it on a non-HD channel. Sometimes it will go hours without dropping out, sometimes only a few minutes. I have tried different inputs and different cables with no change. When the problem happens, I can get audio back either by changing the surround mode or switching inputs and then switching back. Changing the channel on the TiVo, even to an HD station that has DD 5.1 has no effect at that point.

I have tried resetting the microprocessor and re-running the Audyssey setup, but that had no effect on the issue.

I've had the 4311 for almost two weeks, and it has been happening since early on. It is my intention to play with it for another few days and then return/exchange it this weekend.
post #22 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

SMEAD: If you reset the unit completely and DO NOT run the audyssey set up, I think you will find that the audio dropouts will no longer present themselves.

Want to try it and post back?
post #23 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 07:54 AM

Like others have mentioned before, technical issues and such should probably go into the "Official 4311/A100" thread as that is the reason it is there.
post #24 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'm for merging this thread with the official one, or locking this one.

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #25 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:

SMEAD: If you reset the unit completely and DO NOT run the audyssey set up, I think you will find that the audio dropouts will no longer present themselves.

Want to try it and post back?

I can probably give it a try tonight, or definitely tomorrow. I'll post the results back in the "official" thread with enough context not to confuse people.
post #26 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 PM

I have a 4311ci with the sound drop issue also on the input 4. It only happens from the input 4 which is HDMI signal from a cable box for me. I have the unit converting 1080i to 1080P for my output to a 63 inch samsung. I have the issue about every 20-40 min and does not matter what sound mode it is in. I can get sound back by hitting menu and changing sound mode from wide mode to stereo and then when it does it again i go back the other way. Have not found a solution but I am open to ideas here its really APITA.

A for merging the threads please don't. The OFFICIAL thread is page upon page of people that don't have it yet discussing getting it and or how to get one by there wife...those of us with issues prefer not to sift thru the ...well junk over there.
post #27 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Then why double post?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #28 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 PM

I double posted in case this thread did get locked...

As a follow up on the sound issues I have traded out the HDMI cable to make sure it was not a simple cable issue. Traded inputs to dvr and tv and still get the cut out.
post #29 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

VFRINCT: Try going to the input in the denon menu and turn OFF any video processing and the ip scaler. See if the drop outs continue and post back.
post #30 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

I just tried HDMI4 input (DVR) with my DVD player and no audio dropouts or other problems.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page