Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1655 Old 03-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2208 View Post
I am currently looking to upgrade my receiver. I am using a Pioneer Elite VSX-82 and I have been intrigued with the NAD. I like my Elite, but I feel like I am missing some fullness in the sound that I used to get with my old Harman Kardon. I loved the HK sound, but I was not impressed with their durability, so I switched. I know NAD and HK have a great reputation for the power so that is why I was drawn to NAD this time.

I am running a 7.1 system and my fronts are Ascend Acoustics CBM-170, and center is a Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1. I will use this for 80% movies. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD55 blu-ray player that I currently hook up via the 7.1 channel output so I can get the lossless sound produced through the blu-ray player since my receiver will not. Will I be able to connect it via HDMI and get the NAD to decode the lossless audio?

Will the HDMI ports do pass through so I can use my setup w/out the receiver on?
No.

I would honestly suggest that anybody considering the NAD T747 take a good look at my wiring solution involving an HDMI splitter, as the non-defeatable video processing might be a deal-breaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1655 Old 03-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:

I am currently looking to upgrade my receiver. I am using a Pioneer Elite VSX-82 and I have been intrigued with the NAD. I like my Elite, but I feel like I am missing some fullness in the sound that I used to get with my old Harman Kardon. I loved the HK sound, but I was not impressed with their durability, so I switched. I know NAD and HK have a great reputation for the power so that is why I was drawn to NAD this time.

I am running a 7.1 system and my fronts are Ascend Acoustics CBM-170, and center is a Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1. I will use this for 80% movies. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD55 blu-ray player that I currently hook up via the 7.1 channel output so I can get the lossless sound produced through the blu-ray player since my receiver will not. Will I be able to connect it via HDMI and get the NAD to decode the lossless audio?

Will the HDMI ports do pass through so I can use my setup w/out the receiver on?

The NAD will take the HDMI input from your Panasonic DMP-BD55 and decode the signal just fine. It will output 7.1 audio that way.

It won't do passthrough with the receiver off, at least not to the best of my knowledge.

Some of the folks around here had troubles in Australia with 50hz signals. I never encounter those here, so if you are not in North America, make sure you get the appropriate version.

I've never done direct comparisons of HK to NAD sound, but NAD has a very distinct sound to it - very uncolored to my ears. People either love it or hate it, few people are neutral to it.

The few HK's I have had the pleasure of listening to have had a similar, pleasing, sound. NADs are perhaps, a bit simpler, which to me is a blessing.

-Paul
post #273 of 1655 Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 PM

Thanks for all the input. I am really looking hard at the NAD, Onkyo 608 & 708, Denon 2311. For $599 it seems like the NAD is a steal, and I am not really in to all the extra bells and whistles of alot of the new receivers.

I want awesome lossless sound, room correction, true power, simplicity, and reliability. I really do not need networking or airplay stuff. Nor do I care about tons of different sound modes. That is what I loved about my old HK, simplicity. I really do like my Pioneer Elite, and it has been very reliable, but it is about 6 years old and I like to try new brands.

Kirk
post #274 of 1655 Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the input. I am really looking hard at the NAD, Onkyo 608 & 708, Denon 2311. For $599 it seems like the NAD is a steal, and I am not really in to all the extra bells and whistles of alot of the new receivers.

I want awesome lossless sound, room correction, true power, simplicity, and reliability. I really do not need networking or airplay stuff. Nor do I care about tons of different sound modes. That is what I loved about my old HK, simplicity. I really do like my Pioneer Elite, and it has been very reliable, but it is about 6 years old and I like to try new brands.

I think you'll find the NAD pretty solid, especially in terms of simplicity and power. I am disgruntled about the video issues, but the sound is better than anything at the price.
post #275 of 1655 Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:

As someone who payed full price for my T747 and has had it in use 11 months now, I can say that I am very satisfied with my NAD. I agree that it is definitely a steal at $599.

Its one sound mode, EARS, is excellent to these ears. And it definitely should meet your requirements, with its relative simplicity and particularly with its amazing sound.
post #276 of 1655 Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 AM

So for those who have the 747, how do you feel the power at 60wpc compare to my Pioneer Elite at 110wpc?

The Pioneer does say it outputs 110x7, but I am not sure it really does that. I would be curious to actually see what it puts out in 2 channel and 7 channel modes.

Kirk
post #277 of 1655 Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:

So for those who have the 747, how do you feel the power at 60wpc compare to my Pioneer Elite at 110wpc?

The Pioneer does say it outputs 110x7, but I am not sure it really does that. I would be curious to actually see what it puts out in 2 channel and 7 channel modes.

Depends upon the load of course, doesn't it? The NAD would possible perform better if it is driving current hungry low ohm speakers.

-Paul
post #278 of 1655 Old 03-31-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I read a review of the T747 that said it was able to output insane amount of power. NAD understates their power. I think you will find it plenty powerful. NAD stuff hardly goes on sale so this is your moment.
post #279 of 1655 Old 03-31-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:

In this review, http://hometheaterreview.com/nad-t-7...iver-reviewed/ the reviewer states: "I know what you're thinking: 60 Watts seems a bit low. Before you write off the T 747's modest power, keep in mind that many manufacturers arrive at their inflated power rankings by a bit of electronic slight of hand, a trick that looks good on paper yet in practice has found many 100-Watt claims to actually be 45-Watt realities. So when NAD says the T 747 is rated at 60-Watts continuous you know it's a real number. Now, if you're listening to music or watching TV in stereo, then the T 747's power output rises to 110 Watts. While higher power ratings are sexy and more power usually means better quality, I assure you, I'd take less power from NAD than more from anyone else." And "Dynamically the T 747 is a rock star proving 60-Watts per channel is more than enough juice to get the blood flowing."

I don't listen at deafening levels although I tend to want the sound to fill the room. My sub is usually the one rattling my windows but several times I thought I had my sub on when only my center and 4 relatively slim floor standers were in use. In my 16' x 13'3" space I have never felt I needed more power.
post #280 of 1655 Old 03-31-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:

NAD's 60W/channel is at 4 ohms, continuous through 20Hz-20KHz. Pioneer's 110W/channel is almost certainly at 8 ohms tested at 1kHz. The NAD will almost certainly annihilate the Pioneer. Additionally, the NAD sound is very graceful at the limits.

I have owned a NAD 3020i stereo amplifier that was a fraction as powerful as the T747, and that little thing had no trouble at all at any volume.
post #281 of 1655 Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:

k2208,

I look at a lot of review numbers (curiosity) for mid-line receivers and my guess is you are getting close to the 130 watts for 2-channel on your Pioneer. Two channel numbers are usually pretty honest with name brand receivers. The differences start to show up with 5 & 7 channel numbers which are usually not stated. I couldn't find any real test numbers for the Elite 82 but did find one for the 84 (rated at 140 watts). The 84 did deliver the 140 watts into two channels. The 84's protection circuits tripped at 77 watts with 7 channels driven (roughly half its 2-channel power) which is actually pretty good. Here are some other examples including the NAD. Usually you find that as the channel number goes up, the power goes down except for NAD and HK.

NAD T747 (rated at 60 per channel)
2 X 150 @ 1% distortion
5 X 114 @ 1% distortion
7 X 80 @ 1% distortion

Denon AVR-2311 (rated at 105 per channel)
2 X 154 @ 1% distortion
5 X 91 @ 1% distortion
7 X 74 @ 1% distortion

Pioneer 1120 (rated at 110 per channel)
2 X 153 @ 1% distortion
5 X 52 @ 1% distortion
7 X 47 @ 1% distortion

Onkyo NR1008 (rated at 135 per channel)
2 X 160 @ 1% distortion
5 X 125 @ 1% distortion (after a few seconds the protection circuit
Kicks in limiting output to 45 watts)
7 X 45 @ 1% distortion
post #282 of 1655 Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 PM

One additional comment that sort of relates to ladyfingers comments above. The NAD and others in my post are all at 8ohms but some manufacturers do "spec" their receivers at 1kHz and not "20 - 20K". Even more important is the question "how much is left in the tank" when driving less than 8ohm loads. Rare is the speaker that doesn't dip into the 4 ohm range (especially if your speakers are 6ohm or so to start). Anyway, the NAD does excel at driving 4 or 6ohm loads. In one test, a NAD 747 driving a 2-channel 4ohm load didn't exceed 1% distortion until 197 watts per channel. Pretty amazing stuff.
post #283 of 1655 Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 PM

I posted about this over in the PSB owners thread. The T747 manual (on page 10) specifically says "please make sure that all the speakers are rated 8 ohms minimum per speaker." I'm interested in PSB's Image series but according to their site, they're all rated 6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum. If 5 of these speakers aren't going to overwhelm the T747, why would they note the minimum in the manual? There's a big difference between "we recommend" and "please make sure." This seems doubly odd because this would seem to disqualify PSB for T747 owners and I believe PSB and NAD are owned by the same parent company.

I know there are other PSB owners around. Ever had any issues with the T747 cutting out/?
post #284 of 1655 Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menocu View Post

I posted about this over in the PSB owners thread. The T747 manual (on page 10) specifically says "please make sure that all the speakers are rated 8 ohms minimum per speaker." I'm interested in PSB's Image series but according to their site, they're all rated 6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum. If 5 of these speakers aren't going to overwhelm the T747, why would they note the minimum in the manual? There's a big difference between "we recommend" and "please make sure." This seems doubly odd because this would seem to disqualify PSB for T747 owners and I believe PSB and NAD are owned by the same parent company.

I know there are other PSB owners around. Ever had any issues with the T747 cutting out/?

I'll be darned, it does say exactly that. As you point out, a bit odd.

However, I have had nary a problem- driving two PSB Imagine B and a pair of Image T45s. Or a pair of Magenpan MMGs.

It has gotten warm upon occasion - especially after playing constantly for 10 or 12 hours.

-Paul
post #285 of 1655 Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

One additional comment that sort of relates to ladyfingers comments above. The NAD and others in my post are all at 8ohms but some manufacturers do "spec" their receivers at 1kHz and not "20 - 20K". Even more important is the question "how much is left in the tank" when driving less than 8ohm loads. Rare is the speaker that doesn't dip into the 4 ohm range (especially if your speakers are 6ohm or so to start). Anyway, the NAD does excel at driving 4 or 6ohm loads. In one test, a NAD 747 driving a 2-channel 4ohm load didn't exceed 1% distortion until 197 watts per channel. Pretty amazing stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menocu View Post

Thanks for the wattage ratings and info Marty.

I also saw that info in the manual and was somewhat alarmed. All 5 of my speakers are 6 ohm rated. My salesman for the T747 said that it can handle the load and he was correct. Again not one issue with needing more power. It does tend to warm up a bit but I would say that there is plenty "left in the tank".

Eddie
post #286 of 1655 Old 04-01-2011, 06:00 AM

My main speakers are Polk SDA 1C's (from 1989) and measure exactly 5.3ohm at rest. I have no doubt that depending on the music they routinely dip below 4. I wouldn't get too concerned about the warning, and certainly wouldn't worry about 6ohms. My 747 rarely even gets mildly warm (my previous HK got warmer).
post #287 of 1655 Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 AM

Here's a nice short video by NAD for AA regarding NAD power ratings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oZ0slUhcU
post #288 of 1655 Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchcah View Post

Here's a nice short video by NAD for AA regarding NAD power ratings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oZ0slUhcU

Excellent! Thanks!

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #289 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 05:08 AM

Well, I ordered my 747 last night from Crutchfield. It was such a killer deal I just could not pass it up!

I will update you guys when I get it and have it up and running.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Kirk
post #290 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 09:44 AM

I too ordered my T747 yesterday...I just returned the Marantz SR7005 because I didnt really care for the sound. Prior, I had the NHT Controller with the NHT Power 5...great sounding combo but it lacked all of the current surround codecs. My speaker setup consists of NHT C4 mains (biamped w/NHT X2 crossover, NHT Power 2 for woofers, Monarchy Audio SM70 for mids and tweets), NHT C3 center, Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds.

Having read this thread and the couple of professional reviews ordering the NAD was a no brainer especially at the current price point. I have no doubt there will be ample power for my center and surrounds. Im looking forward to receiving my first NAD product

Regards,
Ricky
post #291 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I too ordered my T747 yesterday...I just returned the Marantz SR7005 because I didnt really care for the sound. Prior, I had the NHT Controller with the NHT Power 5...great sounding combo but it lacked all of the current surround codecs. My speaker setup consists of NHT C4 mains (biamped w/NHT X2 crossover, NHT Power 2 for woofers, Monarchy Audio SM70 for mids and tweets), NHT C3 center, Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds.

Having read this thread and the couple of professional reviews ordering the NAD was a no brainer especially at the current price point. I have no doubt there will be ample power for my center and surrounds. Im looking forward to receiving my first NAD product

Regards,
Ricky
hi ricky,

i was also very close to ordering the 747 but kind of backed out due to the video issues since i live in asia. i guess it's not so much of a issue for people in north america.

after dropping the 747 i zeroed in on the Yamaha RX A2000 and Marantz SR 7005.

Now after reading some excellent reviews i was about to place the order for the SR 7005 in a couple of days.

But i'm kinda stopped in my tracks after reading your above statement.....

Could you go on to expand why you didn't care SR 7005's sound ? Is it not to your taste or did you feel the amp was under-powered....? Why did you return it ?

This could help in some ways....

Thanks

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #292 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 01:29 PM

The 747 is on my list but currently I am somewhat sold on the Pio SC35. Wondering if anyone has compared both? If so, how is the sound in terms of musicality? I listen to 2 channel music about as much as video? Doe the 747 have a video pass through?

My setup:

5.1 Monitor Audio Gold Ref
Oppo BDP83

Thanks
post #293 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Hi Rana_Kirti,
I think you should still order up the Marantz SR7005...its a fine receiver. I too have read the myriad of positive reviews. Power is not an issue especially since the receiver only powered my center and surrounds. As far as the sound I was hearing its based soley on a memory comparison to the Controller...non-scientific to say the least! Functionally the Marantz SR7005 worked as advertized...its just that after running Audyssey and tweeking I still couldnt get the sound that I was looking for. This is a very subjective matter which is why my opinion should not factor into your descision to at least try the Marantz. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Ricky
post #294 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmajoril View Post

The 747 is on my list but currently I am somewhat sold on the Pio SC35. Wondering if anyone has compared both? If so, how is the sound in terms of musicality? I listen to 2 channel music about as much as video? Doe the 747 have a video pass through?

My setup:

5.1 Monitor Audio Gold Ref
Oppo BDP83

Thanks

My setup:

- 5.1 Monitor Audio, 303 fronts, M3 surrounds (late 90's Silver equivalents), RX Centre
- Oppo BDP 95

The T747 does not have video pass through although I have only noticed an improvement in video since incorporating the NAD and a new Tributaries hdmi cable. I have never compared them side by side but did like the sound of a Pioneer Elite with the RX series at the store. I bought the T747 for NAD's musical reputation and am extremely satisfied with it's audio.

Eddie
post #295 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

hi ricky,

i was also very close to ordering the 747 but kind of backed out due to the video issues since i live in asia. i guess it's not so much of a issue for people in north america.

after dropping the 747 i zeroed in on the Yamaha RX A2000 and Marantz SR 7005.

Now after reading some excellent reviews i was about to place the order for the SR 7005 in a couple of days.

But i'm kinda stopped in my tracks after reading your above statement.....

Could you go on to expand why you didn't care SR 7005's sound ? Is it not to your taste or did you feel the amp was under-powered....? Why did you return it ?

This could help in some ways....

Thanks

An external splitter and selector makes the video issues moot.
post #296 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 05:32 PM

I went back and read this whole topic. I am a little concerned about the video stuff. I will be connecting the following:

1. Panasonic DMP-BD55 bluray(HDMI)
2. DirecTV HD Box(HDMI)
3. Apple TV 1(HDMI)
4. Wii(component)

I will then connect the T747 via HDMI to my 42" Panasonic TC-P42S1.

Where might I run into issues? Also if I am reading this all correctly, my TV will not receive any audio from all of these sources? So the only sound I can get will be through the stereo, nothing from TV speakers?

Kirk
post #297 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:

I went back and read this whole topic. I am a little concerned about the video stuff. I will be connecting the following:

1. Panasonic DMP-BD55 bluray(HDMI)
2. DirecTV HD Box(HDMI)
3. Apple TV 1(HDMI)
4. Wii(component)

I will then connect the T747 via HDMI to my 42" Panasonic TC-P42S1.

Where might I run into issues? Also if I am reading this all correctly, my TV will not receive any audio from all of these sources? So the only sound I can get will be through the stereo, nothing from TV speakers?

Don't want to rehash all this again, but essentially the T747 cannot pass a video signal through untouched, which can cause issues for people who watch things with lots of different frame rates. If you run into this, you have to manually adjust the frame rate in the NAD, which is buried deep in the menus, or as Ladyfingers said, add a HDMI splitter and bypass video altogether. This primarily seems to be a headache for people outside of North America where PAL/NTSC can complicate things.

As for audio, you can decide whether to pass audio through to your tv or not. If I watch movies late at night, I often mute the NAD and turn the volume up on the tv- less noisy for the neighbors.
post #298 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 06:46 PM

So essentially I can choose to pass the audio through to the tv also? That would be awesome.

menocu...have you had any issues with the video stuff? I am in Ohio, so I would assume I would be on the better end of this stuff, but you never know.

Kirk
post #299 of 1655 Old 04-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi Rana_Kirti,
I think you should still order up the Marantz SR7005...its a fine receiver. I too have read the myriad of positive reviews. Power is not an issue especially since the receiver only powered my center and surrounds. As far as the sound I was hearing its based soley on a memory comparison to the Controller...non-scientific to say the least! Functionally the Marantz SR7005 worked as advertized...its just that after running Audyssey and tweeking I still couldnt get the sound that I was looking for. This is a very subjective matter which is why my opinion should not factor into your descision to at least try the Marantz. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Ricky

Thanks... i'm gonna the 7005 a listen. i've already heard the t 747 and liked it so lets see wht happens.. i'm gonna give the ladyfinger's solution a good thought.

Though i'd be looking forward to your comparison of the SR 7005 vs. NAD T 474. Do update me as to how you find the sound differed on both of them and which one you preferred and why....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfingers View Post

An external splitter and selector makes the video issues moot.

buddy,

can u put a link to the product page of the external splitter and selector that you are using....?

Thanks

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #300 of 1655 Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

Thanks... i'm gonna the 7005 a listen. i've already heard the t 747 and liked it so lets see wht happens.. i'm gonna give the ladyfinger's solution a good thought.

Though i'd be looking forward to your comparison of the SR 7005 vs. NAD T 474. Do update me as to how you find the sound differed on both of them and which one you preferred and why....

buddy,

can u put a link to the product page of the external splitter and selector that you are using....?

Thanks

http://www.ezyhd.com.au/hdmi-splitter.html

And the auto source selector:

http://www.ezyhd.com.au/hdmi-switch.html
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page