The "Official" NAD T 747 Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.raulerson View Post

But you can certainly use any audio you want with HDMI video, including optical. Indeed, I did this last night just A/B testing a friend's AppleTV2.
You simply select the digital audio source you want. Or you can turn off digital audio and select an analog source.
Oh, there is a bug there - you must press the enter key on the remote to get the silly thing to keep the setting. Perhaps that bug bit you.
-Paul

Paul,

This is of great interest to some of the thread members. Could you take a quick look at post 136 - 139 and then see if you can duplicate your test. I was able to select an HDMI video source and combine it with analog audio. I was not able to combine HDMI video with Optical Audio. If you have been able to do that you will make a lot of people happy (self included).

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Also in Aus. Also have a PS3, and Imac, so lots of different video sources.

Confusing...all this suff...
post #363 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

Paul,

This is of great interest to some of the thread members. Could you take a quick look at post 136 - 139 and then see if you can duplicate your test. I was able to select an HDMI video source and combine it with analog audio. I was not able to combine HDMI video with Optical Audio. If you have been able to do that you will make a lot of people happy (self included).

Marty

Of course Marty.

Beyond question, you can select any analog or digital input you want for any source. See pic below for example. You do have to press the enter key when you change it to get it to stick, but this is almost certainly a software bug in the UI.

I am sitting in my chair right this moment listening to Alan Parson's _Ammonia Avenue_, with the OSD display up on the television. I wish I could just screen shot the television, but a photo will have to do.

(How the heck do I get a image up here? If it did not attach, please email me and I will send you the picture. )

In words, I am, at this very second, listening to the Coaxial1 digital input, while viewing the screen on HDMI3. This is my "music" source. I do not have analog audio on, since this setting is using the internal Cirrus Logic DACS.

I have another source that does have Analog Audio selected, because I use that with an external DAC.

Also, as I said before, I don't have any video issues. 24fps videos play just great at 24fps, other video works great at 60fps. If I understand some of our international brethren correctly, they are using OPPO blu ray players to convert 50hz video to 60hz, so again, I don't see where there is an issue.

However, I bow to those who know more about video than I do, but I really like this T747. Despite the blurry video in my iPhone photograph, the text is razor sharp on that screen. I can read it from 11feet away, across the room.

-Paul
LL
post #364 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM

All the optical inputs are available too, as are the analog inputs. Example attached.
-Paul
LL
post #365 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Paul. Good news.

The t747 really does seem an incredible bargain right now...

Could I just ask another question? To you, or anybody else.

I'll be using this receiver with HDMI video out to a Dell computer monitor rated at 1920x1200 60hz max resolution.

So does this mean I'll be all sweet using the t747 HDMI video bypass? I'll be buying a european/Aussie version.

Cheers
post #366 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:

All the optical inputs are available too, as are the analog inputs. Example attached.
-Paul

Paul. Thanks for all your efforts on this. The examples you put up are: digital coax/HDMI together (digital coax is not optical toslink) and the second example is optical with NO video source.

What we want to know is if optical toslink(audio) and HDMI(video) can be selected together. This is the only connection possible to an iMac, because iMac's only have toslink (not coax) for audio out...

Are you able to test/confirm this?

Cheers

Wap
post #367 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post

Paul. Thanks for all your efforts on this. The examples you put up are: digital coax/HDMI together (digital coax is not optical toslink) and the second example is optical with NO video source.

What we want to know is if optical toslink(audio) and HDMI(video) can be selected together. This is the only connection possible to an iMac, because iMac's only have toslink (not coax) for audio out...

Are you able to test/confirm this?

Cheers

Wap

Yes, of course it can. Here is the combination you asked for, currently active and playing music, displaying video, and all that jazz. Had to go switch an optical cable around to get it up for you, but it most certainly works.

-Paul

By the way, a $169USD V-Link connected to the USB port on a iMac will (probably) give you much better sound, and gives you a near jitter free coax and optical connection. Just needs a decent USB cable - that's like $30 or so here. I tend to prefer coax these days.

IRT: Monitor resolution - so far as I know, which isn't much, 1080p is 1920 X 1080, so if your monitor does not support that resolution natively, you might want to be sure it will scale the input correctly. I know next to nothing about video, so hopefully the folks here who know a lot more than I do will be able to help you with that.
LL
post #368 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
if i'm sitting in my living room with my laptop and want to play music wirelessly with the T 747..... what do i have to get/do....?

thanks

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #369 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Yes, of course it can. Here is the combination you asked for, currently active and playing music, displaying video, and all that jazz. Had to go switch an optical cable around to get it up for you, but it most certainly works.

-Paul

By the way, a $169USD V-Link connected to the USB port on a iMac will (probably) give you much better sound, and gives you a near jitter free coax and optical connection. Just needs a decent USB cable - that's like $30 or so here. I tend to prefer coax these days.

IRT: Monitor resolution - so far as I know, which isn't much, 1080p is 1920 X 1080, so if your monitor does not support that resolution natively, you might want to be sure it will scale the input correctly. I know next to nothing about video, so hopefully the folks here who know a lot more than I do will be able to help you with that.

Hey Paul. Way to go! Thanks for confirming that! The other issue relates to 50 vs 60 hz. My Dell does 60 hz. So it's kinda like a US "TV". Hence my question..will a Euorpean t747 (with it's 24/50/60 specs) lock onto my Dell at 60 hz and in "auto" video mode behave as if it's "seeing" a US TV (hence the described video thru-put issue goes away)

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for tip on vLink. Does this pass 5.1 surround thru OK?

Final Q. Are you the same Paul.R I helped you out on computeraudiophile.com?

Cheers Paul. And thanks again for help. I can pick up a t747 for a steal at the moment. Worth a try. I mean they are pretty much giving them away...the world has gone insane. This thing just about has to be THE quality bargain of the decade. All that great NAD sound for zilch! Heck. You can't buy a half decent STEREO amp for $500. So lets keep things in perspective people. At these prices who gives a X$&%^&% if a new 757 (with upgrade cards) is coming? Who wants to "upgrade" to 3G anyway. 3G "sound" maybe LOL. The upgrade cards will cost more than the entire t747!

If things don't work out: at these prices when the time comes to upgrade, there is always be ebay
post #370 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Hey Paul. Way to go! Thanks for confirming that! The other issue relates to 50 vs 60 hz. My Dell does 60 hz. So it's kinda like a US "TV". Hence my question..will a Euorpean t747 (with it's 24/50/60 specs) lock onto my Dell at 60 hz and in "auto" video mode behave as if it's "seeing" a US TV (hence the described video thru-put issue goes away)

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for tip on vLink. Does this pass 5.1 surround thru OK?

Final Q. Are you the same Paul.R I helped you out on computeraudiophile.com?

Cheers Paul. And thanks again for help. I can pick up a t747 for a steal at the moment. Worth a try. I mean they are pretty much giving them away...the world has gone insane. This thing just about has to be THE quality bargain of the decade. All that great NAD sound for zilch! Heck. You can't buy a half decent STEREO amp for $500. So lets keep things in perspective people. At these prices who gives a X$&%^&% if a new 757 (with upgrade cards) is coming? Who wants to "upgrade" to 3G anyway. 3G "sound" maybe LOL. The upgrade cards will cost more than the entire t747!

If things don't work out: at these prices when the time comes to upgrade, there is always be ebay

Same Paul.R, yep - thats me. Thought I recognized you.

I am not sure if the V-Link will pass 5.1 encoded sound - haven't tried it. Don't have anything on the computer encoded in 5.1. I rather suspect it will not do so. On the other hand, I have a nice NAD T557 that has really sweet sound and does do 5.1 and 7.1 right over HDMI. Which the T747 just eats up like a cat eats up cream.

With the single caveat that you like the "NAD" sound, I do not think you will be disappointed at all with the T747.

-Paul

P.S> They are blowing out the T557 Blue Ray players for under $300USD too. That is one fine blueray/dvd/CD player.
post #371 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

if i'm sitting in my living room with my laptop and want to play music wirelessly with the T 747..... what do i have to get/do....?

thanks

Depends of course on what software and computer you are using.

If you are using iTunes on MacOS or Windows, just plug in an AppleTV or an Airport express, run the HDMI or optical connection to the T747, select the AE or AppleTV from iTunes, and play away.

Other software has slightly different processes.

That may be slightly simplified, but it takes only a few minutes to setup.

-Paul
post #372 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What we want to know is if optical toslink(audio) and HDMI(video) can be selected together.

Quote:

Sonofagun... based on this post, I was connecting my Apple TV (which I use mainly for streaming music) to an analog input on the T747 via a Musical Fidelity V-DAC, so I could combine that audio with the HDMI video from my DVR and watch TV with the sound off while listening to music.

I've just now tried going directly from the Apple TV to the T747 via optical, by moving the optical cable so it feeds into the T747 instead of the V-DAC, and adjusting the T747 source configuration accordingly. The combination of input H1 for video and O2 for optical does indeed work, with the desired result. Now I'll have to see if it makes a noticeable difference in the sound, between using the T747's DAC and the V-DAC. Can't do it right now without waking up my wife.

At least I already had the V-DAC from my pre-T747 setup so it's not like i paid the money for it just to be able to hook up the Apple TV to the T747. I previously had an integrated amp with only analog audio inputs, so I needed a DAC to hook up the ATV to it.
post #373 of 1671 Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM

Guy's we are talking about a hifi/audiophile piece of gear here. FOR $500-600 odd dollars. You can't even buy a decent video matrix switch for that !!!

I say let others "focus" on all that HDMI 1.4 nonsense and all that technical video wizardry until they all get a headache.

The beauty about all this, is that it gives folk who can spot quality a mile out...a once in a lifetime chance to truly benefit from all this distracting "noise" and snap up a bargain..

In true Wall Street "Masters of the Universe" fashion...get 'em while they're hot
post #374 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkontuly View Post

As far as the apple tv goes it sounds like a very interesting and affordable solution. But to be honest i don't understand how streaming affects the quality of the music. Does it at all? I know you are sticking with a digital stream which is great because the DAC of the NAD will process it instead of the ipod (Which is a 5 year old classic btw) but does the streaming itself cause some issues? I guess i don't know enough regarding wireless and music.

So long as you have a reliable signal with no interference, there should be no effect on the sound. Streaming audio doesn't require much bandwidth, so that should not be an issue. I use two Apple Airport Express routers to get from one end of the house to the other (Mac with iTunes in the bedroom/office and Apple TV in the living room) and haven't had any signal problems.

I already had the wireless network, to support my wife's MacBook, so adding the Apple TV to my system meant $100 for the ATV, plus $300 for a Musical Fidelity V-DAC to convert the ATV's optical output to analog stereo for the integrated amp that I was using at the time.

I've been using the ATV + V-DAC with the T747 because I thought the T747 could combine only analog audio with HDMI video. (I like to listen to music while watching TV with the sound off and the captions on.) Now that I've found out that the T747 can combine optical audio with HDMI video, I can remove the V-DAC from my system. I just listened to a few things using the optical audio and I can't tell any difference from using the V-DAC.
post #375 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

No piece of gear will satisfy everyone of course, but since I am in North America, I don't have the frame rate problem you describe, and I don't really understand what I should see to identify the clipping. The video looks pristine to me on our television, and everything runs through the T747, including an old VCR that never looked so good.

But you can certainly use any audio you want with HDMI video, including optical. Indeed, I did this last night just A/B testing a friend's AppleTV2.
You simply select the digital audio source you want. Or you can turn off digital audio and select an analog source.

Oh, there is a bug there - you must press the enter key on the remote to get the silly thing to keep the setting. Perhaps that bug bit you.

-Paul

What firmware version are you running? I tried my best to get this to work before returning my unit. Damn. Also I could not get the unit to send 24 hz and 60 hz without any conversion. It always wanted to convert everything to one frameratw whichever one u choose.

One more question. Has anyone used the multichannel analog inputs on the 747. Can you boost the lfe by 10-15dB for this input?
post #376 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Not true. Go back and check again if it kept hdmi for video and optical for audio. Even after hitting enter it just would not keep it.

I posted photos of the OSD screen later down. It most certainly does allow you to choose any combination of digital or analog audio with a HDMI input.
post #377 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I posted photos of the OSD screen later down. It most certainly does allow you to choose any combination of digital or analog audio with a HDMI input.

Sorry I posted before seeing your photos. Either I was really stupid when I tried in vain to set this up with my iMac as HDMI2 for video and optical 1 as audio or there is a firmware update in your unit that allows you to do it. I chose H2's source and tried to set it up.

Can you answer my questions from my previously edited post. Thanks.
post #378 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I read through the manual. Can you change channel levels for Multi channel. Analogs. It says nothing that is done in digital domain is available but tone control is available. But I need to make sure lfe 15 dB boost is available. Also how is the quality of Multi channel analog? I just ordered a Sony s5000es bd player from AVS and it is supposed to have an impressive analog Multi channel output.
post #379 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Hi all,
Just to share my thoughts from upgrading from HK AVR-240.

I bought this receiver mostly for music. When I hooked up, I noticed an improvement in sound quality, especially at high volume. However, my fronts (OM-10) are as tricky as my living room. Therefore the benefits of t747 in music are diminished in my case, and I started to have regrets.

Then I put on a movie just to check if the surround works. WOW, unexpectedly, I hear a huge improvement over my avr-240, and I have not done any calibration. The sound is easier to listen to, especially at high volume. It is also much clearer and more coherent, just the way it is when you go to cinema. I have a killer HT speaker system (which retailed for ~4k in Canada with all the taxes, I got them used and cheap), and I've never experienced HT, until now.

The dialogue is much easier to understand as my OM-C2 now has a chance to shine. All the doubts have dissipated. Just the improvement in movies worths the $$ I spent to upgrade, and the potential for music is still there if I have a dedicated listening room in the future.

I can't believe a HT receiver this good can be bought brand new for 600 - 700$. A reviewer that I read said that he was not sure whether someone intruded into his home or it's the sound from the movie, and now I believe him.

I hope I will not succumb to the temptation to change my TV to match the sound.

NAD conservatively rates its products, not so much for HK. I'm 100% sure the T747 will kick ass the avr-2600 rated at 65wpc, just with regarding the power, but of course we're talking about 2 different price points here.

Gotta watch all my movies again !!!
post #380 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 12:11 PM

As with bommai, I also previously tried several times to combine HDMI video with both another HDMI audio, and HDMI video with Optical/Coax audio and was unsuccessful. I tried again this morning and was able to setup an HDMI / Optical combination so not firmware upgrade required. I was still unsuccessful with HDMI / HDMI. I guess the double-enter press was the key to at least part of the issue (or user error for not trying harder).

My thanks to Paul for discovering this, and for documenting it here. I don't currently need the capability but I know it's important to others, and of possible future benefit to me. Nice job.
post #381 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 12:46 PM

I did a comparison of my Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV and the T747 last night and today. I set them both with my SPL meter, and ran them both in Direct mode with no onboard equalization, hooked to my Apple TV via an optical cable.

I am really starting to fall in love with the T747, I have to because my wife stole my Pioneer for the bedroom with some old Bose 201's I had packed in a box for about 7 years.

For music the NAD just offers more fine detail than the Pioneer. I use a M&K V1250THX 10" sub, and Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's for my fronts. I am not exactly sure why but the NAD produces tighter and quicker bass. My wife even commented on the bass. It has a very natural sound that I missed when I went away from Harman Kardon. Let me just say that my Pioneer is no slouch either, I have really enjoyed it and will continue to enjoy it in our bedroom. My 9 year old son is an amazing musical talent so I had him listen to. He was really impressed, and told me it was well worth it. I knew I had struck gold if my 9 year old said so!

I then watched Band Of Brothers episode 6 through both receivers. The Pioneer is somewhat handicapped because I have to connect it to the Blu-ray via 7.1 analog inputs vs HDMI for the NAD. I don't get the onboard room correction by doing that, but I did set up the channels with my SPL meter. While both are incredible for movies, the extra horsepower of the NAD is evident during high action battle scenes. I never had any kind of distortion no matter how hard I pushed it, so I was impressed.

I have been looking hard for other receivers in thus price range to compare, but in all honesty I have not found one I think I would try. According to HT Labs the NAD puts out 99.7 wpc at 0.1% distortion with 5 channels driven, and 66.8 wpc with 7 channels driven. It is hard to find anything under $1000 that comes close, that also has 7.1 analog inputs and pre-outs for all channels. One receiver I would really like to try is the Integra 50.2, but the MSRP is $1400 so I am going to pass on that one.

At the end of the day, the NAD T747 for $599 is just too good to pass up!

Kirk
post #382 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:

As with bommai, I also previously tried several times to combine HDMI video with both another HDMI audio, and HDMI video with Optical/Coax audio and was unsuccessful. I tried again this morning and was able to setup an HDMI / Optical combination so not firmware upgrade required. I was still unsuccessful with HDMI / HDMI. I guess the double-enter press was the key to at least part of the issue (or user error for not trying harder).

My thanks to Paul for discovering this, and for documenting it here. I don't currently need the capability but I know it's important to others, and of possible future benefit to me. Nice job.

Ah- you can not setup the system to use HDMI video from one connection, and HDMI audio from another. That is not, as far as I know, a technical lack, but rather something to do with the HDCP nonsense that HDMI connections must adhere to.

-Paul
post #383 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Sorry I posted before seeing your photos. Either I was really stupid when I tried in vain to set this up with my iMac as HDMI2 for video and optical 1 as audio or there is a firmware update in your unit that allows you to do it. I chose H2's source and tried to set it up.

Can you answer my questions from my previously edited post. Thanks.

Blush
As embarrassing as it sounds, I cannot remember how to get the T747 to reveal it's firmware level to me. I thought I did, and just managed to reset everything to factory settings. (Fortunately for me, I keep good records in my notebook.

Also, would you mind putting up a test process for exactly what you are asking? I don't mind running a couple or three tests, but I would like to get it right the first time. I'll have to borrow a couple interconnects from other systems.

-Paul
post #384 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 01:32 PM

I would appreciate some comments on the quality & quantity, or lack of, with the room correction eq. I would be using this as a pre/pro needing help in 120hz to 400hz region. There is nothing stated anywhere about it except its a five band eq and no manual adjustments. Any before and after measurements taken by anyone? Comments concerning distances, level, and crossover for auto setup are not necessary. Thanks, or should i save 200 and just get the Yamaha Rx-v667 with all the crap that i don't need.
post #385 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yikes. I wish I had tried harder. This was one of the reasons I returned the unit.
post #386 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blush
As embarrassing as it sounds, I cannot remember how to get the T747 to reveal it's firmware level to me. I thought I did, and just managed to reset everything to factory settings. (Fortunately for me, I keep good records in my notebook.

Also, would you mind putting up a test process for exactly what you are asking? I don't mind running a couple or three tests, but I would like to get it right the first time. I'll have to borrow a couple interconnects from other systems.

-Paul

I assume you are referring to my multichannel analog question. Do you have a source such as a bluray player that has multichannel analog output that you can connect to the 747. Many BD players send their sub out at 10 to 15dB lower so that boost has to be applied by the receiver. In my hk 745 I can apply that boost for just that source. I guess I can use the presets for that in the 747. However I still need to know if channel levels are settable for multichannel analog sources. You can test this by having a test tone or some other source material through Multi channel analog and then try to change the channel level for a couple of different channels in including sub woofer. I read the manual but I don't know if it actually works for Multi channel input. I am tempted again to buy this but I better make extra sure this time. My hk avr 745 is still hard to beat though.
post #387 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Maybe Im daft, but I still dont understand the 50 vs 60 hz issue/problem.

I live in Australia too, a land of 50hz PAL.(like Europe) But my 'TV' is in fact a Dell computer monitor rated 60hz.

I have a mixture if video sources 60hz NTSC, 50 hz PAL and 24hz Blu Ray. With a t747 locked in auto mode to the 60hz signal, am I going to have problems like the other earlier people (eg ladyfingers) did in this thread?
post #388 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM

The way I look at this, the only comparable sounding receiver out their is the new Arcam AVR400. (I auditioned it yesterday) But this is nearly 4X the price. It has almost exactly the same specs. They both have the same torroidal type of amplifier. They are both made in China, and have the same "British" background and "music first" philosophy. The only difference is the Arcam has USB, ethernet, lower standby power rating and HDMI 1.4, and is 90W vs 60W per 7 channels. (which is of minor difference as discussed previously). The NAD here has a 3 yr warranty vs 2 for the Arcam. Now I'm not saying the Arcam is not a beautiful piece of kit. It darn well is!

But if you can live without these additional features in the Arcam, you can basically buy a new Oppo and a new 50 inch LCD for your t747 AND still have change...

And doesn't the Oppo have 2x 1.4 HDMI's out? So if you really WANT 3G, you can get it that way....and your streaming and USB player functioning..all through the Oppo..

Oh and the NAD has a volume knob (I'm nostalgic for these!)

So which is better value right now? The NAD or the Arcam?
post #389 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbuzz View Post

I would appreciate some comments on the quality & quantity, or lack of, with the room correction eq. I would be using this as a pre/pro needing help in 120hz to 400hz region. There is nothing stated anywhere about it except its a five band eq and no manual adjustments. Any before and after measurements taken by anyone? Comments concerning distances, level, and crossover for auto setup are not necessary. Thanks, or should i save 200 and just get the Yamaha Rx-v667 with all the crap that i don't need.

The immediate question that comes to my mind is exactly what kind of help does your sound need, and why? Is the room unbearably bright? Do you have a bass resonance node that muddies and amplifies those frequencies?

And from what sources? HT? Music? Gaming?
post #390 of 1671 Old 04-09-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The immediate question that comes to my mind is exactly what kind of help does your sound need, and why? Is the room unbearably bright? Do you have a bass resonance node that muddies and amplifies those frequencies?

And from what sources? HT? Music? Gaming?

And for such problems it is better to do room treatments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page