The "Official" NAD T 747 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IRT: Souces on the T747

Source four will report itself as being setup special for iPods. Might want to use another source, 1-3, or 5+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

flatmm,

1. I'm not a big fan of bi-amping but some swear by it so let's call it a personal preference. With some speakers / amp combinations it can make a difference but with shared power supply receivers and mid-line speakers (don't know what you have), I think the benefits are questionable but this isn't the forum for debating receiver bi-amping. Doesn't hurt to try it out however so go for it if you're curious and your speakers support it.

2. Yes, selecting bi-amp in the setup menu routes a copy of the Front L/R signals to the unused Back L/R Channel speaker outputs. The "pre-amp cross-over/frequency separation" you mentioned occurs in your speaker crossover, not in the NAD. The "high" part of the speaker crossover would use the high frequencies in the signal and reject the lows. The low part would do the opposite.

3. EQ would still work as the EQ is applied to the signal before it leave the NAD. Each speaker receives 2 copies of the EQ'd signal and seperates the high/lows according to it's internal crossover settings.

Marty

Thanks Marty, this is very helpful. I have a B&W 603s -LCR600 - 601s - ASW 5.1 setup which I got many years ago. Was using Rotel RSX 1056 without bi-amp function. Any thoughts if NAD T747/B&W 603 S3 bi-amp make any sense?

Thanks

Flatmm
post #453 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmm View Post

Thanks Marty, this is very helpful. I have a B&W 603s -LCR600 - 601s - ASW 5.1 setup which I got many years ago. Was using Rotel RSX 1056 without bi-amp function. Any thoughts if NAD T747/B&W 603 S3 bi-amp make any sense?
Thanks
Flatmm

Nice speakers (mid-to-late 90's, right?). No real thoughts except for bi-amping with receivers in general. Most people do it to get more power thinking that those 2 unused 60 watt channels are being wasted. So it's a lost 120 watts, right?. No, it isn't. In fact, most/all receivers use a shared power supply & amp stages which is why you get less power into 7 channels than you do into 5.

Not to oversimplify the math but the NAD gets roughly 5X114=570 into 5-channels and 7X80=560 into 7-channels. Now some will argue that the power is "more dedicated" to the front L/R and less to the others and there is possibly some truth to that. In the end however, all power is shared as needed so I don't believe the bi-amping produces any dramatic power differences. Your B&W's are pretty efficient (90db I believe) so your probably OK there anyway.

You may in fact be wasting power on some material (action movies) because the tweeters will not require the power that the lower end will. Then again, for music it may be a benefits. I'd say try it if you're curious. That's the only way you'll know for sure.
post #454 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.raulerson View Post

Source four will report itself as being setup special for iPods. Might want to use another source, 1-3, or 5+.

You can make source 4 a normally-configurable source by turning off the "iPod setup" somewhere in the menus. I think it's in the top-level Source Setup menu. It was one of the first things I did, to free up another source.
post #455 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Hi All,
Crutchfield has shipped my replacement T747 today along w/ars for the damaged one. The service rep said that the damaged unit probably was still operational considering the type of damage that it sustained. He said to go ahead and use the unit till the replacement showed up. I took a flashlight and peeked in from the top to be sure that no major electrical component was near the front and it looked clear so I went ahead and just hooked up my mains to the receiver via main l/r preouts. My source is Sonos and just ran the digi-coax to the receiver. I went into the menu setup and set mains to "large" and manually measured speaker distance. Im running a bi-amp setup: NAD--->NHT X2 Crossover--->NHT Power2 (2x200wpc class D) for 10" woofers and Monarchy Audio (2x25wpc class A) to mids and tweets--->NHT Classic 4 towers.

I must say the receiver sounds pretty pleasant in plain stereo mode. The top end doesnt sound as crisp as the NHT Controller it replaced, mid range sounded laid back as well. Bass was full and punchy. Im no sound guru so take my thoughts as very non-critical. Versus the Marantz SR7005 the NAD doesnt sound so dspeeee...ie a more natural presentation of music. I listened to some Acoustic Alchemy, Norman Brown, Diana Krall, Art of Noise and techno stuff...

Quick thoughts for sure but so far I rather like the "NAD Sound"...

Regards,
Ricky
post #456 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

You can make source 4 a normally-configurable source by turning off the "iPod setup" somewhere in the menus. I think it's in the top-level Source Setup menu. It was one of the first things I did, to free up another source.

Thanks! I will look for that. I knew you could do it, but never looked it up. -Paul
post #457 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 02:51 PM

It is pretty sweet, no fooling!

Wait till it burns in a bit, and you might be in love with the NAD sound. What always amazes me is how you can crank up the volume, and the sound just stays the same.

Just a shame you will have to start the break in period again when your new one arrives.

-Paul
post #458 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Marty, thank you so much. I haven't even explored the Table View yet but I will (so much I don't understand on this unit). I printed your reply so I can refer to it tmw if I get time. My wife wanted to watch a blu-ray before I got home and she got the sountrack thru the speakers but no dialog. I switched Listening Mode to the Stereo mode and it was fine. I have not a clue why other modes eliminated the dialog!

Hopefully will try your solution tmw and will let you know. Even if I solve this one I know I'll be here again with other questions.
post #459 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

Quote:

Thanks! I will look for that. I knew you could do it, but never looked it up. -Paul

I checked when I got home. It's under Setup Menu --> Source Setup --> iPod Setup.

Now if only I could do the same thing with source 10 which is apparently assigned permanently to the radio tuner!
post #460 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

For full DVD-A functionality, you'll have to look elsewhere than a Sony. As for digital streams, if level matched and blind-tested, I'd bet six months salary that you (or anyone else, myself included) cannot tell the difference (assuming no faulty equipment or cables). "Jitter" is measurable with appropriate gear, but unless the player/DAC combo is severely malfunctioning (or, perhaps, you are using a first generation CD player designed during the Carter administration--and even then), that gear does not include human ears. Moreover, even if jitter from gear built in the past ten years were audible, it would be far more likely so from an HDMI connection rather than a S/PDIF (coax or optical).

I know that some people do not believe that "bits are bits"--I'm not looking to create a lengthy, bitter debate. So if you are not among the "bits are bits" crowd, feel free to ignore what I've posted (except the part about Sony not offering a DVD-A player--that is indisputable; you can play the DVD-V portion of a DVD-A disc on a Sony but it will not give you lossless audio in MCH, most likely won't give you lossless audio in 2 channel and you will be missing functions like pause, FF, REW, as well as access to some of the extras found on many DVD-A discs).

I had a discussion with a colleague today. We're electronic engineers, however we never worked on audio products. Now I agree with "bits are bits" theory, and I'll stick with my Panasonic 50$ DVD player using coaxial. This comes from a very long reasonning based on electronic design practices. I do not have time now, but some time later I'll explain my take. Cheers (ie. you keep your 6-month salary and I'll keep mine).
post #461 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchcah View Post

Hi All,
Crutchfield has shipped my replacement T747 today along w/ars for the damaged one. The service rep said that the damaged unit probably was still operational considering the type of damage that it sustained. He said to go ahead and use the unit till the replacement showed up. I took a flashlight and peeked in from the top to be sure that no major electrical component was near the front and it looked clear so I went ahead and just hooked up my mains to the receiver via main l/r preouts. My source is Sonos and just ran the digi-coax to the receiver. I went into the menu setup and set mains to "large" and manually measured speaker distance. Im running a bi-amp setup: NAD--->NHT X2 Crossover--->NHT Power2 (2x200wpc class D) for 10" woofers and Monarchy Audio (2x25wpc class A) to mids and tweets--->NHT Classic 4 towers.

I must say the receiver sounds pretty pleasant in plain stereo mode. The top end doesnt sound as crisp as the NHT Controller it replaced, mid range sounded laid back as well. Bass was full and punchy. Im no sound guru so take my thoughts as very non-critical. Versus the Marantz SR7005 the NAD doesnt sound so dspeeee...ie a more natural presentation of music. I listened to some Acoustic Alchemy, Norman Brown, Diana Krall, Art of Noise and techno stuff...

Quick thoughts for sure but so far I rather like the "NAD Sound"...

Regards,
Ricky

hi ricky,

i'm considering the 747 and the SR 7005 as my new avr. Seems you have heard both...

Will you be able to share what kind of differences in sound for movies and music did you find between these 2 avrs....?

Thanks

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #462 of 1663 Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperadude View Post

I had a discussion with a colleague today. We're electronic engineers, however we never worked on audio products. Now I agree with "bits are bits" theory, and I'll stick with my Panasonic 50$ DVD player using coaxial. This comes from a very long reasonning based on electronic design practices. I do not have time now, but some time later I'll explain my take. Cheers (ie. you keep your 6-month salary and I'll keep mine).

Bits are bits- but jitter is a matter of timing. And except in extreme circumstances, it only comes into play at the DAC, where the digital signal is turned into an analog signal. Until that point, you can shoot digital signals around with impunity - as you say - bits are bits.

At that point though, timing is very critical, and even very small timing discrepancies are audible. Incredibly small timing problems actually compound on one another, and the end result is muddy, indistinct sound.

-Paul
post #463 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 AM

My New 747 is in. I haven't done the auto audessy set-up yet. I'm running it in and getting my initial impressions using analog bypass.

Bon..You wanted to know how it sounds compared to my old 773. Well from my memory about the same. For comfortable listening obviously the volume knob sits higher on the 747 (on around -15db compared to the 773 which I could rarely crank higher than -40 without breaking the windows). But needless to say this receiver has oodles of power. Don't forget I'm powering my stereo fronts with a triamp Linn chakra via pre-outs..so this influences things. I'm also in a smallish room 4 x6 m

Anyway the plan is to use this receiver mainly for surround track listening. My reference is a NAD M55 SACD/DVD-A running into the 747 via analog. I really like how easy it was to set up the 747 to do this. And the nice clear "analog bypass" displaying on the front of the receiver is comfort that things are set up correctly as a reference. I LOVE this !! One other initial setting that was a pleasant surprise was the "enhanced stereo"..being able to disable the front stereo, centre and surround speakers. This allows stereo 2.1 to be sent direct purely to the rear speakers (in a 7.1 set-up). This is a fantastic little trick for listening in an office at my computer, because it shifts the music back behind your head....and makes good use of these rear speakers (which often sit there doing nothing in 5.1 music playback)

There was no problem setting up different HDMI/digital sources under the one "input" with Paul R's great little double return remote "press" fix. Thanks Paul !!

Once I run the thing in, I'll switch focus to the digital side, and auto calibrate etc. Eventually I aim to hook up a Dune Duo, and stream 5.1 PCM Wav and 5.1 Flac to this. Then compare how this sounds with the reference NAD 55 transport. Both connected via analog 5.1

Cheers

Wap
post #464 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 AM

Sweet! I hope you enjoy that beastie as much as we enjoy ours.

-Paul
post #465 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Sweet! I hope you enjoy that beastie as much as we enjoy ours.

-Paul
Sometimes simple delights without all the bells and whistles can bring a nostalgic "knot" in your throat. Listening to a PentaTone remastered QUAD multichannel SACD recording of Symphonie Fantastique (Hector Berlioz). No digital processing. Just 4 analog channels straight out from the 747. It's a pure delight. This is where this receiver excels. Absolutely perfect for this...
post #466 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batuche View Post
Marty, thank you so much. I haven't even explored the Table View yet but I will (so much I don't understand on this unit). I printed your reply so I can refer to it tmw if I get time. My wife wanted to watch a blu-ray before I got home and she got the sountrack thru the speakers but no dialog. I switched Listening Mode to the Stereo mode and it was fine. I have not a clue why other modes eliminated the dialog!

Hopefully will try your solution tmw and will let you know. Even if I solve this one I know I'll be here again with other questions.
You're welcome. My example using Input 4 probably should have used Input 3 or 5 (unless you turn off the iPod thingy (see other posts)). I have done that and forgot about it but the examples should work for any other input.

Can't image why you would not get dialog on a BR assuming the center channel speaker is connected properly. Since most (but not all) dialog in a 5.1 soundtrack comes from the center channel speaker, if it were not connected or defined in the speaker setup menu that may cause it. Changing it to stereo would re-map the dialog to the L/R speakers. Let us know if you can't sort it out and don't worry about other questions - most of us are here because we like helping others out.
post #467 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 AM

Ok you guys just convinced me to order the t747. I should receive it tomorrow. Hopefully it's as nice sounding as everyone said it is. My othern choices were elite-32 and maranta 6005.
post #468 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Those were some of my choices too. Ordered the NAD on Saturday and it should be here later today!
post #469 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post

My New 747 is in. I haven't done the auto audessy set-up yet. I'm running it in and getting my initial impressions using analog bypass.

Bon..You wanted to know how it sounds compared to my old 773. Well from my memory about the same. For comfortable listening obviously the volume knob sits higher on the 747 (on around -15db compared to the 773 which I could rarely crank higher than -40 without breaking the windows). But needless to say this receiver has oodles of power. Don't forget I'm powering my stereo fronts with a triamp Linn chakra via pre-outs..so this influences things. I'm also in a smallish room 4 x6 m

Anyway the plan is to use this receiver mainly for surround track listening. My reference is a NAD M55 SACD/DVD-A running into the 747 via analog. I really like how easy it was to set up the 747 to do this. And the nice clear "analog bypass" displaying on the front of the receiver is comfort that things are set up correctly as a reference. I LOVE this !! One other initial setting that was a pleasant surprise was the "enhanced stereo"..being able to disable the front stereo, centre and surround speakers. This allows stereo 2.1 to be sent direct purely to the rear speakers (in a 7.1 set-up). This is a fantastic little trick for listening in an office at my computer, because it shifts the music back behind your head....and makes good use of these rear speakers (which often sit there doing nothing in 5.1 music playback)

There was no problem setting up different HDMI/digital sources under the one "input" with Paul R's great little double return remote "press" fix. Thanks Paul !!

Once I run the thing in, I'll switch focus to the digital side, and auto calibrate etc. Eventually I aim to hook up a Dune Duo, and stream 5.1 PCM Wav and 5.1 Flac to this. Then compare how this sounds with the reference NAD 55 transport. Both connected via analog 5.1

Cheers

Wap

Thanks for your mini review. So, from your SACD player, are you connecting through 5.1 channel analog to the 747? When you do it this way, can you still calibrate all your channel levels and save it to a preset? For example, I will be using 5.1 analog from a Bluray player (Sony S5000ES) - I assume the sub output from the BD player will have to be boosted between 5 and 15dB by the 747. I want to make sure this is possible for 5.1 external analog input and also that it can be saved to a preset and activate it only for that source. I don't have a power amp. I will be using the 747's internal amps to power my Klipsch RF5, RC7, RS35 speakers in a HT room that is 20 ft x 15 ft. Currently, I have a HK AVR 745 which is a heftier and more powerful receiver than the 747 but I seem to have fallen in love with the NAD sound. My reference is the T744 (I assume the predecessor to the 747). I bought it used and have been using it in my HT room (bought it for the living room originally). I think the dialogs are more intelligible with the T744 and the soundstage opens up. The HK seems to have more oomph and higher frequencies.

My choices are now as follows: Order the T747 and find a buyer for my HK. Get a used T754 for $250 approx. The T754 is a few years old and is the big brother of T744 (which I already have). But there is no hdmi and no 7.1 (only 6.1). Also, with my HT setup I need HDMI to do OSD with my projector. Will be a pain to setup otherwise. So, I don't know if the 747 will have less of a sound than the 754 (it weighs 45lbs compared to 29 lbs for the 747).

One more thing - I wish I had bought the Oppo 93 instead of the Sony S5000ES. I have a few SACDs and the Oppo could have handled everything. I currently play the SACD using Gen1 PS3 through HDMI.
post #470 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

An open question to everyone that has used the external 5.1/7.1 analog inputs on this receiver. How do you rate the pure analog performance from 5.1/7.1 analog inputs. Is it just as dynamic? I know you cannot do bass management or delays or eq, but can you at least modify the individual speaker channel levels to level them. I want to make sure that NAD in the interest of keeping costs low did not skimp on the external analog input. I am really trying to choose between this and an older NAD receiver.
post #471 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

You're welcome. My example using Input 4 probably should have used Input 3 or 5 (unless you turn off the iPod thingy (see other posts)). I have done that and forgot about it but the examples should work for any other input.

Can't image why you would not get dialog on a BR assuming the center channel speaker is connected properly. Since most (but not all) dialog in a 5.1 soundtrack comes from the center channel speaker, if it were not connected or defined in the speaker setup menu that may cause it. Changing it to stereo would re-map the dialog to the L/R speakers. Let us know if you can't sort it out and don't worry about other questions - most of us are here because we like helping others out.

It's quite possible to have the Center Channel (or any other speaker for that matter) turned off - with any selection. Just as it is possible to turn on any combination of speakers with any setting.

I admit, I found that out the hard way, after spending 10 minutes scratching my head why the center channel and surrounds would not play when I first installed the receiver. (We don't have that issue any longer, since we reduced the whole setup to 2 channels, and find that perfectly delightful. Luddites that we are.

Note that speaker setup is, or rather can be saved with a preset, so it is relatively trivial to change speaker distances, loudness, and which speakers are active for any particular preset, including the sub.

-Paul
post #472 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 PM

Oppo BRP- I must admit, I have gotten more and more fascinated by the Oppo players. Everyone seems to love them, and apparently, by some feat of magic, they can play videos from any region.

My wife would like to get some DVD's from the U.K. that are simply not available in the U.S, but I have had no idea how to play the things.

I have no idea if the Oppo would produce audio compatible with U.S. gear while playing other region videos, but if the thing can decode the video, it should be able to decode the audio too, at least to analog outputs.

-Paul
post #473 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oppo BRP- I must admit, I have gotten more and more fascinated by the Oppo players. Everyone seems to love them, and apparently, by some feat of magic, they can play videos from any region.

My wife would like to get some DVD's from the U.K. that are simply not available in the U.S, but I have had no idea how to play the things.

I have no idea if the Oppo would produce audio compatible with U.S. gear while playing other region videos, but if the thing can decode the video, it should be able to decode the audio too, at least to analog outputs.

-Paul

The new oppo players are region locked. You need a third party hack to break that.
post #474 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The OPPO BDP-93 and 95 blu-ray players can be unlocked for playback of all region DVDs by use of a simple firmware "fix" on a disc called "Super Disk BDP-93." Look for it on eBay. Total cost is less than $15. including shipping.

I have no connection with the author. I'm just a satisfied customer.

Getting the OPPO BD players to playback other Blu-ray region discs than "A" for units sold in North America or "B" for OPPO players sold in the UK necessitates a hardware mod. I have read that less than 15% of BD discs are region locked.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #475 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Just wondering how many of you listen/watch with eq on vs eq off in the T747?

EQ off for me, and it is no comparison at all. With the EQ on my speakers sound like I have them wrapped in a blanket.

Kirk
post #476 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 02:57 PM

I agree with k2208, EQ off for everything.
post #477 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your mini review. So, from your SACD player, are you connecting through 5.1 channel analog to the 747? When you do it this way, can you still calibrate all your channel levels and save it to a preset? .

Bom... I know exactly what you want to do. When I have time, I'll test this for you I think you have to drill down into the menu to do it...One thing I can't seem to find how to do with the 747, is adjust speaker levels "on the fly". I used to be able to do this very easily with the 773. I recall, there were specific buttons for this on the remote and on the front of the receiver. Even a separate "surround test" button. I don't think there were presets for these settings though. If the 747 can do this sort of easy channel adjusting "on the fly" thing, can someone point out to me how?
post #478 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:

I currently play the SACD using Gen1 PS3 through HDMI.

Bom. You are going to do way better than this and your Sony with an Oppo 93 via analog out. Better still a 95.

FYI, the reasons I swapped away from a 773 to a 747 were

1/ The size. I didn't need the extra power, and the smaller size of the 747 is actually an advantage IMHO. Why you might ask?..well for firmware upgrades and servicing. As you know NAD receivers don't have ethernet firmware upgrades right now. I found it very hard to pull out the 773 and take down to the dealer. I was just too darn heavy. The 747 at 15kg won't be a problem.

2/ HDMI. I got a PS3. Of course the alternative here is to get an Octava 7.1 switch that has it's own internal DAC.

3/ Warranty. And the 747 was just priced so beautifully.

The reason I did't get a new larger NAD was the size, and still no "ethernet upgrade", though I belive this may be coming with the new swap out cards. When? who knows... "seeing is believing" in the AV game IMHO Also a dealer said customers were having trouble with these cards. Not sure what, but in my part of the world they weren't happy. Maybe the same 50 vs 60 HZ problem layfingers was having. But I really have no idea.

Wap
post #479 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 PM

To adjust speaker levels, bring up the OSD, scroll down to Setup, drill down into Speaker Configuration and Speaker levels.

Takes much longer to type that it does to do it.

Oh, one note - you may have to press the enter button to get level changes to take immediate effect, and if you want to save the new levels, be sure to save them in a preset, or overwrite the speaker settings in whatever preset you wish them to be in.

-Paul
post #480 of 1663 Old 04-13-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post

Bom. You are going to do way better than this and your Sony with an Oppo 93 via analog out. Better still a 95.

FYI, the reasons I swapped away from a 773 to a 747 were

1/ The size. I didn't need the extra power, and the smaller size of the 747 is actually an advantage IMHO. Why you might ask?..well for firmware upgrades and servicing. As you know NAD receivers don't have ethernet firmware upgrades right now. I found it very hard to pull out the 773 and take down to the dealer. I was just too darn heavy. The 747 at 15kg won't be a problem.

2/ HDMI. I got a PS3. Of course the alternative here is to get an Octava 7.1 switch that has it's own internal DAC.

3/ Warranty. And the 747 was just priced so beautifully.

The reason I did't get a new larger NAD was the size, and still no "ethernet upgrade", though I belive this may be coming with the new swap out cards. When? who knows... "seeing is believing" in the AV game IMHO Also a dealer said customers were having trouble with these cards. Not sure what, but in my part of the world they weren't happy. Maybe the same 50 vs 60 HZ problem layfingers was having. But I really have no idea.

Wap

So, would you say that the T747 has the same sound signature as the T773 just with less power? Are you saying my gen1 PS3 is lousy at SACD? I don't have any other reference so I don't know how well an Oppo sounds for example. Also, currently, I don't want to spend too much money. I bought the Sony S5000ES for $350 free shipping no tax on a whim because I heard good things about it - I just wish it had SACD. This player is coming tomorrow and I probably won't be able to return it without taking a financial hit. I might keep this and the PS3 for now. I might upgrade to an Oppo in the future. I am more and more tempted to get the T747 and connect as follows:

1) Gen1 PS3 with HDMI for SACDs, Netflix and occasional games
2) Sony S5000ES connected using 5.1/7.1 analog for Bluray, DVDs, and occasional CDs. I might connect its dedicated 2 channel analog also. Connecting it this way uses the supposed superior DACs in the Sony and also lets me connect the HDMI directly to the projector for video and avoid any refresh rate or black/white crush in the NAD.
3) iMac through optical and DVI to HDMI for watching broadcast TV recorded using eyeTV and HDHomeRun as well as iTunes music
4) Squeezebox 3 for music (need to compare this with iTunes from iMac to see if I should keep it or sell it). I might try both coax digital and 2-channel analog interconnect for this.

One last concern. When I briefly owned the T747 and returned it, I noticed that once in a while the center channel was not working and I had to either turn it off and on or change sources. Did this happen to anyone else? Also, looks like most people found channels levels not equalized after running the auto calibration and had to manually level them. Also, most people are running with EQ off. Hmm. Has NAD completely failed with their home grown EQ algorithms. May be they should have kept the Audessey they have in T755.

BTW, I am still a little leery of the lightness of this unit compared to a T754.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page