Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1655 Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Wapping - have you listened to the 747 directly without using any external amps? Other than the power, is there any difference between your old T773 and the T747?

For goodness sake. Just get the t955 at that hugely discounted, ridiculous price, and be done with it Geez you guys in the US don't know how lucky you are sometimes...with all the competition forcing down prices.
It is such a flexible option. With whatever receiver you end up with...
If you don't like it, wait for the sale to finish and then put it on ebay and sell it for $200 more and make a profit out of it all !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1655 Old 04-21-2011, 03:38 PM

I know this is not a speaker forum but I just got a 747 and have been looking at speakers. The other day I listened to some Rega RS3 and I was amazed. I believe it was running off a Naim amp. Does anyone have experience with these. I am wondering how they sound with the NAD. I think I have narrowed down my choices to these, the B&W CM1s, or on the cheap end 685s and lastly the Dynaudio x12s. Each very different from each other but all good in their own ways.
post #723 of 1655 Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am flogging this dead horse. One last time!!

NAD T763 vs Cambridge Audio 640R

How do these two older receivers compare to each other? I have the opportunity to buy one or the other used. I have the NAD T744 and love the sound. I have never listened to a CA receiver but have heard good things about it. My speakers are Klipsch RF5, RC7, and RS35. My room is 20x15 and I listen to about 40% music and 60% movies. HDMI audio is not important to me since I use the 5.1 analog output from my Sony S5000ES BD player. I use optical for TV and ripped music from my iMac. However, I think the NAD might only support up to 48kHz sample rate. I don't know about CA.

The NAD has only 6 channel amp. CA has 7. But right now I have a 5.1 setup. NAD has had some reliability problems with this model (the seller says he did not have any problems with this particular unit). I don't know anything about the reliability of the CA 640R.

The 640R is more expensive than the 763 for me.

They both are rated 100W per channel with all channels driven. Both have toroidal transformers.

So which one!
post #724 of 1655 Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkontuly View Post
I know this is not a speaker forum but I just got a 747 and have been looking at speakers. The other day I listened to some Rega RS3 and I was amazed. I believe it was running off a Naim amp. Does anyone have experience with these. I am wondering how they sound with the NAD. I think I have narrowed down my choices to these, the B&W CM1s, or on the cheap end 685s and lastly the Dynaudio x12s. Each very different from each other but all good in their own ways.
NADs and NAIMs are similar in performance and somewhat similar in sound. I would not see any issue with driving any of those speakers.

Of course, being me, I would suggest you look into a set of Magenpan MMGs. They are $599 direct, and sound like speakers costing way more than they do. The 747 will get warm driving them to realistic levels.

-Paul
post #725 of 1655 Old 04-21-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:

I am flogging this dead horse. One last time!!

NAD T763 vs Cambridge Audio 640R

How do these two older receivers compare to each other? I have the opportunity to buy one or the other used. I have the NAD T744 and love the sound. I have never listened to a CA receiver but have heard good things about it. My speakers are Klipsch RF5, RC7, and RS35. My room is 20x15 and I listen to about 40% music and 60% movies. HDMI audio is not important to me since I use the 5.1 analog output from my Sony S5000ES BD player. I use optical for TV and ripped music from my iMac. However, I think the NAD might only support up to 48kHz sample rate. I don't know about CA.

The NAD has only 6 channel amp. CA has 7. But right now I have a 5.1 setup. NAD has had some reliability problems with this model (the seller says he did not have any problems with this particular unit). I don't know anything about the reliability of the CA 640R.

The 640R is more expensive than the 763 for me.

They both are rated 100W per channel with all channels driven. Both have toroidal transformers.

So which one!

Are you sure you want to go with older, used equipment? If so, the CA640R sounds sweet, though quite different from NAD. Similar in terms of quality, but different enough you will definitely like one better than the other.

Go for whichever one is going to be the most fun for you.

-Paul
post #726 of 1655 Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.raulerson View Post

Are you sure you want to go with older, used equipment? If so, the CA640R sounds sweet, though quite different from NAD. Similar in terms of quality, but different enough you will definitely like one better than the other.

Go for whichever one is going to be the most fun for you.

-Paul

I just finished watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 on Bluray using my Sony S5000ES connected using analog 5.1 to the NAD T744. Just exhilarating. This NAD T744 has not gotten as much use so it is pretty new since the original owner got it on clearance from audio advisor only in 2009. It is still under warranty!

I just love the sound of NAD T744 in my system, but I loved the HK too. I found the HK to be a little bit brighter - meaning the highs were more pronounced. I am not sure how different the CA unit is. Like I said before I am getting a really good on the T763 but I am sending cash first and hope I don't get cheated. The CA unit is twice as expensive but I probably can use paypal for that.

So what do you mean when you say CA sounds sweet? People have different tastes especially in this forum. Some people hate NAD (don't know why). I have heard one guy say there are no differences between various receivers, but I disagree since I have had Denon, HK, Onkyo and NAD before.
One guy said that NAD shines in music but not so much for HT and claimed CA shines for both. Don't know what he meant.

I wouldn't go for used equipment if it is really expensive, but it looks like the CA units hold on to their value pretty well. However, AudioAdvisor has a demo unit for $800 with warranty. The used one is $500.

I also noticed that the CA unit is 33lbs and the NAD is 45lbs. Why such a big difference for asimilarly equipment units?

I guess I could go with tried and true NAD or a brand I have never heard before.
post #727 of 1655 Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 PM

Nearly a year ago I auditioned the T747 against a Cambridge Audio 650A amp to get a sense of what the CA 650R receiver would sound like. They both had a very similar sound to me, clean and neutral. From my listening I think I could have been happy with either one although the 650R was $400 more at the time.
post #728 of 1655 Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. Thanks for the response. The T747 is $599 while the 650R is still > $1500. However, a used 640R (no HDMI audio) is what I am looking at. Right now I am trying to decide between that and a used T763 to keep the spending low for me. From what I can see, I will be choosing between a 6 ch amp (NAD) and a 7 ch amp (CA). I only need 5 right now but who knows in the future. I need a way to adjust sub level for a particular source (multi channel analog input) so that my BD player is all leveled. I know NAD can do this using presets, but don't know about the CA. Reliability wise, don't know either.
post #729 of 1655 Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:

I just finished watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 on Bluray using my Sony S5000ES connected using analog 5.1 to the NAD T744. Just exhilarating. This NAD T744 has not gotten as much use so it is pretty new since the original owner got it on clearance from audio advisor only in 2009. It is still under warranty!

I just love the sound of NAD T744 in my system, but I loved the HK too. I found the HK to be a little bit brighter - meaning the highs were more pronounced. I am not sure how different the CA unit is. Like I said before I am getting a really good on the T763 but I am sending cash first and hope I don't get cheated. The CA unit is twice as expensive but I probably can use paypal for that.

So what do you mean when you say CA sounds sweet? People have different tastes especially in this forum. Some people hate NAD (don't know why). I have heard one guy say there are no differences between various receivers, but I disagree since I have had Denon, HK, Onkyo and NAD before.
One guy said that NAD shines in music but not so much for HT and claimed CA shines for both. Don't know what he meant.

I wouldn't go for used equipment if it is really expensive, but it looks like the CA units hold on to their value pretty well. However, AudioAdvisor has a demo unit for $800 with warranty. The used one is $500.

I also noticed that the CA unit is 33lbs and the NAD is 45lbs. Why such a big difference for asimilarly equipment units?

I guess I could go with tried and true NAD or a brand I have never heard before.

As you say, sound is pretty subjective, but here is what I hear (in general) between NAD and Cambridge Audio. This is opinion, and I have far more listening time on NAD than I do CA. Also, this is between a NAD C326BEE and a a CA 650A. Haven't had a chance to compare AVRs, but I assume that like NAD, the sounds are very similar. Here are my raw notes, copied in. I'll add a couple explanations below.

"CA overall neutral, similar to NAD. More reserved in the midrange (vocals); treble is slightly (artificially?) emphasized. Bass is clean and tight, but 326 is faster and more balanced. CA is pleasant, but might get tired of it. 650 lost it with HTNW."

What that "translates" to is:

Cambridge Audio 650A has a neutral sound, very similar to the NAD C326BEE. The NAD is more forward with vocals, and has a slightly deeper soundstage. The CA emphasized the treble a little too much for me, as it overshadowed the guitars and vocals.

The bass is tight on both the CA and the NAD, but the NAD is faster and more controlled. Put on _Heading to Nowhere_ by No Nations, NAD was able to handle the over mixed bass on that track with fewer issues; CA could not keep up and blurred the bass line quite a lot.

That track is a torture test for any amp to reproduce in a pleasing manner, as the mix is so bass heavy it sounds more like a disco track than rock, however it sounds amazing when performed live. The CA did give a hint or two of what it sounds like live, the NAD quite a bit more. On more normal material, both of them sounded excellent, but the NAD may give me less ear fatigue.

-Paul
post #730 of 1655 Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As you say, sound is pretty subjective, but here is what I hear (in general) between NAD and Cambridge Audio. This is opinion, and I have far more listening time on NAD than I do CA. Also, this is between a NAD C326BEE and a a CA 650A. Haven't had a chance to compare AVRs, but I assume that like NAD, the sounds are very similar. Here are my raw notes, copied in. I'll add a couple explanations below.

"CA overall neutral, similar to NAD. More reserved in the midrange (vocals); treble is slightly (artificially?) emphasized. Bass is clean and tight, but 326 is faster and more balanced. CA is pleasant, but might get tired of it. 650 lost it with HTNW."

What that "translates" to is:

Cambridge Audio 650A has a neutral sound, very similar to the NAD C326BEE. The NAD is more forward with vocals, and has a slightly deeper soundstage. The CA emphasized the treble a little too much for me, as it overshadowed the guitars and vocals.

The bass is tight on both the CA and the NAD, but the NAD is faster and more controlled. Put on _Heading to Nowhere_ by No Nations, NAD was able to handle the over mixed bass on that track with fewer issues; CA could not keep up and blurred the bass line quite a lot.

That track is a torture test for any amp to reproduce in a pleasing manner, as the mix is so bass heavy it sounds more like a disco track than rock, however it sounds amazing when performed live. The CA did give a hint or two of what it sounds like live, the NAD quite a bit more. On more normal material, both of them sounded excellent, but the NAD may give me less ear fatigue.

-Paul

I found a Heading for Nowhere by No Nations. Is this what you referred to? I might download it.

BTW, I took a chance and paid $255 to the guy in Houston through amazon giftcard and he is shipping his T763 to me today by UPS Ground. Once he ships, I should have it early next week hopefully. Hopefully it works fine like he said. He ended up getting a T747 for HDMI.
post #731 of 1655 Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Good news. He already shipped me the T763 in his T747 box. It actually cost me $242 including shipping. Hopefully it works properly.

Bad news. My HK AVR 745 with 2 HDMI inputs that can do PCM 5.1 is stuck at ebay at $199. It ends tomorrow. It comes with a remote that costs $200!!

Link to the item
post #732 of 1655 Old 04-22-2011, 10:34 PM

Yep - _Heading For Nowhere_ by the Canadian group No Nations.
It's very fun track, and if you have never really heard electric bass through your speakers, this will surprise you.

It's also a lot of fun to hear live.

-Paul
post #733 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Good news. He already shipped me the T763 in his T747 box. It actually cost me $242 including shipping. Hopefully it works properly.

So does this mean the CA640R, T955, T747, T744, and HK745 are all out now?
post #734 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

So does this mean the CA640R, T955, T747, T744, and HK745 are all out now?

Oh well. T744 will go to our living room for a small energy take classic system. Just for casual tv watching and some casual music.

Main home theater had hk avr 745. It is on eBay ending today. I was almost ready to buy the 747 but had reservations about the power. That is when the T955 came along. I think my requirements changed after I tasted 5.1 analog through my new Sony s5000es bd player. So, hdmi audio no longer became a must have. The fact I was able to get a T763 for $242 total gave me the opportunity to listen to a higher end NAD receiver, even though it is older, for the first time. If I find it to be unremarkable and too quirky, I am tempted to follow up on the ca 640r. I figured doing it this way is financially less stressful and gives me the opportunity to listen to multiple brand's products.

Guys thanks for all the discussion in this thread. I think unlike most other threads that just deals with misc bells and whistles people here are more into pure audio quality. Also, it feels weird going from hk avr 745 which has room eq, 7.1, PCM 5.1 through hdmi, auto calibration, multi channel calibration, nice tc30 harmony remote to anadromous that is 6.1, no room correction eq, no auto calibration.

Feels like I am going retro but I won't miss the occasional hdmi hang ups, etc. One thing I will miss is the tc30 remote which I love. I should have held on to it.

One thing though that I have learned fro this whole experience is this. The whole business of hdmi, 3d, etc have turned the audio industry upside down forcing small manufacturers to spend a whole bunch of r&D and time. It also makes the consumers constantly upgrade. The guy that sold me the T763 upgraded to the T747 because he bought a new projector and he was told he needed hdmi receiver. I think people that are upgrdading like this present buying opportunities for me. After experiencing hdmi complexities I am now a firm believer of multiple channel analog and a good source component and amp.

Think about this. If I had nothing to begin with this year, I was able to get the Sony s5000es for $350, the NAD t744 for $150, the nadt763 for $242. Having quality sound turns out not to be as expensive if you deal with clearance or used items.
post #735 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys - I came across this asynchronous USB DAC. The advantage it it supports 24/96 kHz which I have several of but I don't know if the T763 supports. I could wait until I get the T763 or just order this now and try it out. Any experience with this unit.

HRT Music Streamer
post #736 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Check your Bluray player, and make sure it is set to pass through the original sound types. It may be downmixing to stereo, or a 5.1 PCM mix or even some special setting only present on your bluray.

The T747 will only present listening choices appropriate to the input material. If you don't mind posting the specifics of what your BRD player is setup for, and what you see on the NAD, someone here might be able to walk you through to an optimal setup. Or at least try.

-Paul

Thanks Paul you were correct, had to change something on my blu-ray player.
post #737 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 AM

I have L/R and surrounds but no center or sub. What is the best listening mode for movies with this set-up.
post #738 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Will the 747 allow you to calibrate for four speakers?
post #739 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Not sure.I haven't tried the speaker set-up yet.
post #740 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Guys - I came across this asynchronous USB DAC. The advantage it it supports 24/96 kHz which I have several of but I don't know if the T763 supports. I could wait until I get the T763 or just order this now and try it out. Any experience with this unit.

HRT Music Streamer
HRT is pretty well respected at the low end of the DAC world. It's not bad, but be sure to get a Music Streamer II, II+, or IIPro. I like the II+ myself, but it is a tad more expensive.

If you are going to audition DACs in the lower end range, you will want to hear the Musical Fidelity V-DAC ($299), Cambridge Audio DacMagic ($430), and the new Arcam rDac ($499).

To get into better sound than these, you need to go upwards in price quite a bit.

-Paul
post #741 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.raulerson

HRT is pretty well respected at the low end of the DAC world. It's not bad, but be sure to get a Music Streamer II, II+, or IIPro. I like the II+ myself, but it is a tad more expensive.

If you are going to audition DACs in the lower end range, you will want to hear the Musical Fidelity V-DAC ($299), Cambridge Audio DacMagic ($430), and the new Arcam rDac ($499).

To get into better sound than these, you need to go upwards in price quite a bit.

-Paul
This is the II for $149. Your other ones are twice as much. I sold my hk avr 745 today for $310. I will lose $36 in fees. So $275 net. Can't believe these DACs are so much more. Also if I have this dac hooked up does Mac os x always use it for all audio. I use the same Mac for Dolby digital tv shows for which I will be using the built in optical.
post #742 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:

This is the II for $149. Your other ones are twice as much. I sold my hk avr 745 today for $310. I will lose $36 in fees. So $275 net. Can't believe these DACs are so much more. Also if I have this dac hooked up does Mac os x always use it for all audio. I use the same Mac for Dolby digital tv shows for which I will be using the built in optical.

The HRT Music Streamer II is not (by my testing here) an improvement over the DACs in the T747. You would have to test to be sure with your new guy. (BTW: Good sale on the HK.

Eh, I hate to tell you this, but a good DAC is really going to cost you more than a receiver - that's one thing that impressed me about the T747 - those Cirrus Logic DACs in there are good - no fooling!

And, here is the kicker, a Streamer II will not process anything but two channel sound. Neither will any of the other DACs I listed. If that is what you are planning on using it for, try the DACs in your receiver first.

If the DACs in your receiver seems to perform poorly, definitely try to borrow or test one of the little Music Fidelity V-Link devices.It is not a DAC, but it does connect to the PC with Asynch USB and generate the cleanest S/PDIF signal you can imagine. One can, for instance, enormously improve the sound of a Mac Mini, even when using the digital optical out.

To significantly improve the sound of the DACS in the T747, one would need to look at a PS-Audio, Benchmark, or Wavelength DAC. $800-$1750 or so. The improvement is worth every penny - it is a LOT of improvement - but it is expensive.

-Paul
post #743 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the only reason I did not go with the T747 yet is because I wanted to try the T763 for less than half the price. I know it is an older receiver but it is a slightly higher end model. I just did not want to spend a whole bunch of money and then wanting more power. I am wondering one thing though - since the 763 has main in and pre-outs and jumpers, can I theoretically remove the jumpers and use it as an amp with a different receiver or pre/pro. That way, if I do want to get a T747 and use the T763's amp, I have that choice. Just a wild idea.

One more thing with the DACs in the T747 - they support 24-bit/192kHz. The T744 can only do 48kHz and I don't know about the T763. Probably the same era as T744. I have some 24/96 recordings in FLAC in my Mac. Well - I have to see
post #744 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Just wondering for music and HT, how much improvement will the NAD 747 over the Denon 38XX series?
post #745 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:

Well, the only reason I did not go with the T747 yet is because I wanted to try the T763 for less than half the price. I know it is an older receiver but it is a slightly higher end model. I just did not want to spend a whole bunch of money and then wanting more power. I am wondering one thing though - since the 763 has main in and pre-outs and jumpers, can I theoretically remove the jumpers and use it as an amp with a different receiver or pre/pro. That way, if I do want to get a T747 and use the T763's amp, I have that choice. Just a wild idea.

One more thing with the DACs in the T747 - they support 24-bit/192kHz. The T744 can only do 48kHz and I don't know about the T763. Probably the same era as T744. I have some 24/96 recordings in FLAC in my Mac. Well - I have to see

I don't have access to a 763, and I would not buy a T747 just for the DACs. Think of them like low hanging fruit, sort of a package deal with a reall decent amp and lots of video control. As well as the really clean NAD sound in small box.

Try the DACs in the 763 (744?) before you discount them, they might be great. You are not going to hear that much difference from 24/96 native and the same file resampled to 24/48. It will still sound amazing.

The biggest jump in quality comes from the 16bit to 24bit jump anyway.

-Paul
post #746 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 10:28 PM

Upgrade from Denon 3808 to Denon 4311 (or) NAD T747 (or) NAD T955 with Denon 3808 as pre-pro
============================================================ ===

Any body owned Denon 3808 and NAD T747? I know NAD T765/T775 probably will be better upgrade but it costs too much and I'm considering NAD T747 due to it's lower price.

I understand that NAD T747 will be better than Denon low end up probably upto 33xx series but starting 38xx series Denon is different beast as their high end starts and it's not just packed with features but highly rated as one of the highest performer in terms of sound quality and lab measurements.

Home theater reviewer says Denon 3808 is high quality sound at mid level price and HCC tech radar has high praise of it power(175 w x 2 ) and the new Denon 4311 also has impressive review from hcc tech radar who is the first one to review it and says it's "Control freaks DREAM machine. AVR-4311 sounded polished, powerful and refined"

Can anyone attest if it's worth upgrading from Denon 3808 as it' weighs 10 pounds more than NAD T747. So this means Denon has better power supply and it has excellent reviews among the community such as hometheater.com, hcc tech radar etc.

AVR 3808 review: http://hcc.techradar.com/node/7088
http://www.hometheater.com/receivers/708denon3808/
Denon lab measurements: http://www.hometheater.com/content/d...-labs-measures

Denon AVR 4311:

http://hcc.techradar.com/reviews/new...alent-01-04-11

I like Denon 3808 but having owing it for more than two years now I got the itch for upgrade. My main reason for considering upgrade is for Sound Quality but I wanted newer NAD as oppose to old one as I like the convenience of HDMI for movie watching and also I own Denon Bluray transport 2500 BTCI which has only HDMI out.

Worst case if there is no one who owned those two receivers then probably I should take Bommai's approach of buying used NAD T763 but then I need to buy a decent player with 7.1 analog out which might be a pain.

Bommai,

How did you get it for such a low price as people are selling it for much higher?

How about NAD T955 with Denon 3808 as pre-pro? Is this a good idea?
================================

NAD T955 power amp for $799 and use the Denon 3808 pre-out to power the front and center channels? Is it going to be good option?

Is it worth in the first place? As HCC tech radar rated Denon 5 channel power output as 140W (5 channels driven, 8 , 0.5% THD 165W (5 channels driven, 4 , 0.5% THD) and has received 5 star rating for these 5 channel measurements while NAD T955 power rating is 100w x 5 and I'm not sure about the measurements?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs and comments. I really appreciate it.
post #747 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 PM

IRT Denon 3808:

It has nice specifications, but you need to find one and audition it for sound (as well, find some NAD gear and give it a listen...). Remember the 3808 is discontinued, the 3811 series looks really nice as a replacement.

Again, you need to listen to them, and not pick one just based on specs. You may like the Denon sound more than the NAD sound. Or vice versa.

-Paul
post #748 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

adumadu,

One big difference I found coming from a HK sound to NAD is the more pronounced and tighter bass and a slight lack of treble. May be the HK was over emphasizing the treble especially with EQ on. I am using an older NAD T744 right now and it definitely sounds different from my HK. I recommend you go to a NAD dealer and listen to some music. Take your music with you. Hopefully this dealer also sells some other brands.

I sold my HK AVR 745 today on ebay for $310. Less that what I would have liked especially since I am including the nice TC30 remote. But I guess I can find comfort in the fact that I got a used T763 for a low price too ($242). I actually found it on craigslist but from farther away and I convinced the seller to ship it to me. I paid him using an amazon gift card through email. I talked to him first and he seemed pretty nice. I got the tracking number and it should be here on Tuesday. I will let people here know what my verdict is. My only concern is the reliability of these units but the seller said he had not had any problems with it. Plus, for $242 I guess I can take the risk.
post #749 of 1655 Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have access to a 763, and I would not buy a T747 just for the DACs. Think of them like low hanging fruit, sort of a package deal with a reall decent amp and lots of video control. As well as the really clean NAD sound in small box.

Try the DACs in the 763 (744?) before you discount them, they might be great. You are not going to hear that much difference from 24/96 native and the same file resampled to 24/48. It will still sound amazing.

The biggest jump in quality comes from the 16bit to 24bit jump anyway.

-Paul

You are correct. May be some day in the future, I would be able to score a used T175 or T175HD for a low price and then use the T763 as an amp
post #750 of 1655 Old 04-24-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:

FWIW the DACS in the T763 and T773 are Cirrus Logic CS4392 24-bit 192kHz that are pretty well thought of from what I've read. That would put them in the "pretty damn good" class for receivers. I would trust Paul's advice on the Streamer, "to significantly improve the sound of the DACS in the T747 (or T763), one would need to look at a PS-Audio, Benchmark, or Wavelength DAC". Definitely a wait & see before spending any money. I suspect the 763 DACS are better than the HT or at least as good.

On the T955 subject, it appears from the specs that the T763 has roughly the same specs as the T955 power-wise (plus both are Holmgren) so I doubt that picking up a 955 would gain you anything at all. I suppose technically you could run a "processor" through the analog inputs to use the 763 amps but it would seem to be more of a wiring & control nightmare than anything.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page