The "Official" NAD T 747 Owner's Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1591 of 1655 Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's great, thanks again for your help. I'll pass on what you have suggested!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1655 Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags22 View Post

I have tried to bypass the NAD's video processing with a splitter, but ran into an issue.

It goes like this; HDMI out from BD into splitter, then 1 HDMI to TV and 1 to amp. Easy as!....but, I lose lossless audio when the HDMI to the tv is plugged in?

To break it down, if its just the HDMI from BD to splitter to amp, lossless audio, as soon as I plug the cable in to the tv, no lossless?

Could it be a compatibility issue? I've used different good quality cables also, any ideas, anyone?

Cheers
Wags

All I can think of is that your TV needs to be set to not accept/process any sound. What's likely happening is that it's sending a message back that it can't process the signal, so the BD player downgrades to lossy.

Try changing your BD player's output from bitstream to LPCM. There's no difference in quality at all, but it might change the problem from "format not accepted" to simply "out of range" and I would imagine LPCM can't be downgraded like bitstream can.

Another trick may be to switch the AVR on first so that it becomes the primary device.
post #1593 of 1655 Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfingers View Post

All I can think of is that your TV needs to be set to not accept/process any sound. What's likely happening is that it's sending a message back that it can't process the signal, so the BD player downgrades to lossy.

Try changing your BD player's output from bitstream to LPCM. There's no difference in quality at all, but it might change the problem from "format not accepted" to simply "out of range" and I would imagine LPCM can't be downgraded like bitstream can.

Another trick may be to switch the AVR on first so that it becomes the primary device.

Cheers for the tips Ladyfingers, I'll give it a go.........
post #1594 of 1655 Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Cheers for the tips Ladyfingers, I'll give it a go.........

Did it work for you?
post #1595 of 1655 Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 PM

Hi all,
There have been some major changes in my life and I've been offline for a year

I just bi-amp'ed my 747, and want to share the experience, and hopefully get some comments on your own.

Before bi-amp'ing, I was using some "high quality" speaker wires made in UK. Now that I have to use more wires, I use the cheap 16ag ones I had bought for my rear speakers.

After bi-amp'ing, I noticed a very subtle difference, although I am not positive at all that I will be able to detect the difference in a blind test.

The sound SEEMs a little bit warmer to me, and a little bit less fatiguing also (although I would not say the original sound is fatiguing). Anyway, I think that I like the bi-amp sound better so I left the system in that configuration.
post #1596 of 1655 Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:

Did it work for you?

Havn't tried it yet, maybe this weekend.

I'll keep you posted as I really want this to work!

Its not an easy task as I have to get in behind the cabinet to fiddle with things!

Cheers
Wags
post #1597 of 1655 Old 03-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Havn't tried it yet, maybe this weekend.

I'll keep you posted as I really want this to work!

Its not an easy task as I have to get in behind the cabinet to fiddle with things!

Cheers
Wags

You should just have to change the output setting on your BD player menu.
post #1598 of 1655 Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:

You should just have to change the output setting on your BD player menu.

The only selections I can make on the audio out (HDMI) of the BD player is 'auto' or 'PCM 2ch'?

Edit, BD player is Sony BDP - S360.
post #1599 of 1655 Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:

The only selections I can make on the audio out (HDMI) of the BD player is 'auto' or 'PCM 2ch'?

Edit, BD player is Sony BDP - S360.

I think bypass the splitter to make the setting, as the TV is likely telling the BD player it can only do 2ch.
post #1600 of 1655 Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:

I think bypass the splitter to make the setting, as the TV is likely telling the BD player it can only do 2ch.

No joy with this bloody splitter, I'm putting it on eBay and I'll just have to live with the video compression the NAD delivers. Not happy though.

Wags
post #1601 of 1655 Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 AM

Does anyone have parts of the T747 for sale? I need a video board for mine.

Thanks.
post #1602 of 1655 Old 04-15-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:

No joy with this bloody splitter, I'm putting it on eBay and I'll just have to live with the video compression the NAD delivers. Not happy though.

Wags

Sorry to hear that, sounds like a dud. Have you tried another BD player?

My EzyHD splitter has been flawless. No downsampling issues, no handshake dumps. Keith is prompt and the product works well.

I combined my splitter with a 5-1 auto-selector box, so all HDMI goes into the splitter before the NAD.

Not incredibly cheap, but it's stuff you can use in any future HDMI system.

Here's a little diagram of my wiring.
LL
post #1603 of 1655 Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:

My EzyHD splitter has been flawless. No downsampling issues, no handshake dumps. Keith is prompt and the product works well.

I combined my splitter with a 5-1 auto-selector box, so all HDMI goes into the splitter before the NAD.

Not incredibly cheap, but it's stuff you can use in any future HDMI system.

I am considering picking up a new, in-box T 747 from a local dealer; if I ensure that the dealer applies any available F/W updates, will I still have problems with the HDMI section on this receiver?

I am a huge fan of NAD's sound (I have a C 375BEE for my 2-channel music system), but after skimming 53 pages of AVS posts on the T 747, I am nervous about all of the video processing issues.

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death and I know I am late to the party, but it's hard to tell from the postings what's a current problem and what may have been addressed with F/W updates.

Thanks in advance.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #1604 of 1655 Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

I am considering picking up a new, in-box T 747 from a local dealer; if I ensure that the dealer applies any available F/W updates, will I still have problems with the HDMI section on this receiver?

I am a huge fan of NAD's sound (I have a C 375BEE for my 2-channel music system), but after skimming 53 pages of AVS posts on the T 747, I am nervous about all of the video processing issues.

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death and I know I am late to the party, but it's hard to tell from the postings what's a current problem and what may have been addressed with F/W updates.

Thanks in advance.

Are u in the us or outside? I don't think it is a big deal within the US. You should look at the T757 also or a clearance T765 or T775.
post #1605 of 1655 Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Are u in the us or outside? I don't think it is a big deal within the US. You should look at the T757 also or a clearance T765 or T775.

Thanks for the reply... I am in the US, but from what I am reading even switching between 60 and 24 Hz is a manual process (e.g. going between my Apple TV at 720p/60 and my Blu-ray player at 1080p/24).

I've looked at the newer NAD AVRs, but the T 747 appears to be the last model with Dolby Headphone - I watch a lot of movies with headphones and fell in love with the positional audio processing yielded with DH (albeit on a much cheaper system).

I am either getting the T 747 w/ Dolby Headphone or one of the newer Yamaha models with Silent Cinema. I have an older Yamaha AVR and, frankly, it sounds OK but not great. Hence my dilemma ...

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #1606 of 1655 Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 AM

Hello All,

the "bi-amp" feature is missing in my NAD 747 menu.
i only have the "zone 2" feature.
any idea ?

THANKS!
post #1607 of 1655 Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, sorry for the late reply.

In my experience, the T747 has been overall something of a bust because of two problems: the innate video scalling and the gating DAC.

I have bypassed the scaling with a splitter, but the 2s gap upon encountering a silent digital stream has not been addressed yet by any update. It may still be, though as bonmai said another NAD of his with the same problem was fixed by update.

If you are using external DACs and a splitter, it's likely to suit your needs (and it sounds fantastic), but if you are dependent on its digital capabilities I'd recommend another model.
post #1608 of 1655 Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Hi there, sorry for the late reply.

In my experience, the T747 has been overall something of a bust because of two problems: the innate video scalling and the gating DAC.

I have bypassed the scaling with a splitter, but the 2s gap upon encountering a silent digital stream has not been addressed yet by any update. It may still be, though as bonmai said another NAD of his with the same problem was fixed by update.

If you are using external DACs and a splitter, it's likely to suit your needs (and it sounds fantastic), but if you are dependent on its digital capabilities I'd recommend another model.

Well, to each their own of course. In the U.S. I have not ran into the video issues you mention, and though I use an external DAC for music, the internal DACs sound great with video, bluray and so forth.

I think you might want to consider qualifying your thinking with "outside the U.S." or something else appropriate. Man, you have been complaining about that for over a year...

-Paul
post #1609 of 1655 Old 05-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.raulerson View Post

Well, to each their own of course. In the U.S. I have not ran into the video issues you mention, and though I use an external DAC for music, the internal DACs sound great with video, bluray and so forth.

I think you might want to consider qualifying your thinking with "outside the U.S." or something else appropriate. Man, you have been complaining about that for over a year...

-Paul

I have been told that a firmware update will likely be available sometime later this year, and that it might fix the issue. If not, I'll sell and replace.

This was an expensive purchase for me and so the limitation I've outlined are rather serious to me. I think it's quite dreadful that I had a $300 Sony HTiB that locked onto LPCM instantaneously and didn't affect the video signal but that a $1050 NAD couldn't manage.

It does sound very good though.
post #1610 of 1655 Old 05-28-2012, 03:33 PM

Hmmm... Well, let's see. Can't use it for video and the DACs are a problem because they lose their lock with 2 seconds of silence. Sounds like a bargain at any price.

I really wanted it for Dolby Headphone and was hoping for high quality sound as a bonus, but the video processing problems sound like a complete nightmare. I don't know why the AVRs are putting in *any* video processing, since the TVs themselves are so good it.

Thanks, Ladyfingers, and others, for saving me from a huge purchase mistake.

post #1611 of 1655 Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM

I just got a used nad 747 , i have it in bi amp mode connected to my pmc db1s , the highs are great but there an absolute lack of bass!!!
I have laptop hooked u to avr via hdmi .
Im playing flac files...
I thought nads were supposed to be bass heavy!!!
post #1612 of 1655 Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM

Ok i even connected a sub , the bass characteristic is the same thin and tubby even when playing movies. If increase the subs volume the bass gets boomy but doesnt go deep at all.
To me it seems that the nads dac that is to blame.
Im i right?
Any suggestions..
post #1613 of 1655 Old 05-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Ok i even connected a sub , the bass characteristic is the same thin and tubby even when playing movies. If increase the subs volume the bass gets boomy but doesnt go deep at all.
To me it seems that the nads dac that is to blame.
Im i right?
Any suggestions..

What speaker size setting have you got it on?

Have you set everything back to manufacturer defaults?
post #1614 of 1655 Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:

What speaker size setting have you got it on?

Have you set everything back to manufacturer defaults?

No i havent reset it yet.
Speaker size is small @ 80 hz , sub yes.
There is bass but its very fast and punchy , im not getting the same deep impact while watching movies with my old denon 791 , the denons sound quality was pathetic though , nad is clean and clear no matter how loud you go.
Is there any other lfe setting that im missing out ?
I havent tried any input other then hdmi , i heard nads response is pretty flat when using hdmi.
With tone defeat on the higher frequencies are clear and warm , but the lows have no extension at all.
So i usually have the bass at +4 and treble at - 2
post #1615 of 1655 Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No i havent reset it yet.
Speaker size is small @ 80 hz , sub yes.
There is bass but its very fast and punchy , im not getting the same deep impact while watching movies with my old denon 791 , the denons sound quality was pathetic though , nad is clean and clear no matter how loud you go.
Is there any other lfe setting that im missing out ?
I havent tried any input other then hdmi , i heard nads response is pretty flat when using hdmi.
With tone defeat on the higher frequencies are clear and warm , but the lows have no extension at all.
So i usually have the bass at +4 and treble at - 2

Make sure the eq is turned off. The 747 implementation is not very good. Make sure you use an spl meter and a calibration DVD or bluray to do level calibration. Save these settings to a preset immediately. Then you can assign these presets to one or more of your sources.
post #1616 of 1655 Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Make sure the eq is turned off. The 747 implementation is not very good. Make sure you use an spl meter and a calibration DVD or bluray to do level calibration. Save these settings to a preset immediately. Then you can assign these presets to one or more of your sources.

I did reset it , it sounds the same.
My take on the nad is that it has more flat frequency response which is supposed to more natural sounding , it could be that the coloration in the denon avr that i used before that was artficially enhancing the bass.Another thing to note is my room is quite large 20 by 20 feet but i have the sitting area about half way 10 feet away from the speakers and my pmc db1+ has a five inch driver . Never then less i was quite amazed with their bass response with my old denon , pmc db1s are transmission line speakers and alot of audiophiles praise them for their bass extension and can be compared with mid size floor standers in regards to low frequency response.
post #1617 of 1655 Old 06-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I did reset it , it sounds the same.
My take on the nad is that it has more flat frequency response which is supposed to more natural sounding , it could be that the coloration in the denon avr that i used before that was artficially enhancing the bass.Another thing to note is my room is quite large 20 by 20 feet but i have the sitting area about half way 10 feet away from the speakers and my pmc db1+ has a five inch driver . Never then less i was quite amazed with their bass response with my old denon , pmc db1s are transmission line speakers and alot of audiophiles praise them for their bass extension and can be compared with mid size floor standers in regards to low frequency response.

I don't know what you're encountering, because the bass through my ULS15 with no EQ is earthquake territory. Is your sub's level right?
post #1618 of 1655 Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 AM

Hi,

I need some advice regarding my setup. I have a pair of B&W 683 speakers and a NAD T747 receiver. Main source is a HTPC. Now I'd like to upgrade this system to 5.0/5.1 As far as I can see, the NAD 747 auto calibration only works with 5.1 or 7.1, but in my current situation (relatively small room and neighbours) I wouldn't really need a subwoofer that much.

Now I ask myself: Is the auto calibration of the T747 any good? Does it work as intended?

I have browsed through all kinds of message boards and it seems the T747 only corrects volume, not EQ. If it does, is it reliable?

I know that the volume can be adjusted manually for each channel but I'm not sure it would make me happy.
post #1619 of 1655 Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Hello All,

I'm now a proud owner of a T747.
This is my first experience with anything hdmi as i've typically stuck to analogue previously.
For simplicity reasons and to get better sound from movies on my laptop i have tried to connect to the receiver via hdmi from the laptop for movie playback.

I have an issue as the video is not being displayed but sound is.
My TV is not hdmi and is connected through component cable.

Is there any known issues with taking hdmi input and sending to display via component?

Rob
post #1620 of 1655 Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo77 View Post

Hello All,
I'm now a proud owner of a T747.
This is my first experience with anything hdmi as i've typically stuck to analogue previously.
For simplicity reasons and to get better sound from movies on my laptop i have tried to connect to the receiver via hdmi from the laptop for movie playback.
I have an issue as the video is not being displayed but sound is.
My TV is not hdmi and is connected through component cable.
Is there any known issues with taking hdmi input and sending to display via component?
Rob

Cannot be done. Welcome to the world of DRM/ Content protection, yadayadayada.

You can do component to HDMI but not the other way around.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page