The "Official" NAD T 747 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post
My guess is that your projector doesn't display 1080p. Therein may lie the answer.

The manual says on page 31:

I quoted this section of the manual earlier on the thread to someone else. I am sorry if you missed it.

Your first impression comments remind me of my experience with owning a "pre-owned" Jaguar some years ago, before the company was bought out. My late son was a Jaguar master technician who owned his own repair shop in MD. My wife wanted to respect his love for Jags by buying a used one from a neighbor. The Jag didn't have the bells and whistles of the then-current upper end models from Detroit which perhaps affected sales. It wasn't until we rode in it that we really appreciated what the Jag reputation is all about.

So it is with NAD. As the review on Audioholics noted:



If a feature rich AVR floats your boat, I'd suggest returning the T 747. It's audio performance that NADs are known for.

Dana

I respectfully disagree. My projector is an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080UB. It has a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels and supports all resolutions. 1080p60 and 1080p48 being the native ones. If you give it 1080p24 it will double the frames and show it as 1080p48. It won't convert it using telecine conversion to 60Hz. In addition to that, it actually shows in the menu what the exact input signal properties are. I have verified this by using pixel accurate grid patterns from my iMac to the projector and every pixel was displayed.

So, when I connected my PS3 directly to the projector and displayed the input signal properties while playing a Bluray movie, it showed 1080p 23.90 Hz, 12-bit color.

Without changing anything else, but just introducing the T747 in between, made the projector show the input signal properties as 1080p 60Hz, 10-bit color.

Now, unlike many other bluray players, PS3 has an auto mode for 24Hz as well as a force mode. I used force mode - so I know the PS3 is outputting 24Hz and yet the T747 converts the signal.

I also disagree with bells and whistles comment. I am with you in the spirit of limiting bells and whistles and in fact that is what I want, but that is not what the T747 is doing.

What I would have wanted is a pure pass through of video. NAD proudly says that they have a pure analog pass through of audio without any DSP or A/D - D/A. They should have that philosophy for video also where they pass through the input to the output with absolutely no interference. But that is not what is happening. In fact the manual states that in auto mode, the T747 will use the best resolution that the display is capable of - not retain what is coming in. I proved this another way. I limited the output from my PS3 to 720p. The T747 still displayed 1080p60 when I pressed the DISP button on the remote. The DISP display shows what the NAD is outputting to the display not what is coming in.

So, we have a fixed output from T747 with source materials of varying resolution and so the scaler on the T747 is constantly engaged. I ran into almost the same issue in 2007 with a HK AVR 247 and that is why I returned it. I did not realize this kind of limitation is still an issue now.

I wonder how NAD's higher end receivers handle this.

Right now - I have to choose auto and watch everything in 1080p60 which I don't mind - but I do watch a lot of bluray movies and made sure my projector and PS3 are both capable of handling 24Hz. So, everytime I watch a movie, I will have to change the setting in T747 to force 24Hz output. Also, even then I don't know what kind of processing the T747 is applying to the video - including black/white clipping etc.
bommai is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
drbonbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brunswick, ME
Posts: 5,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the information about your projector. It appears that there is a difference of opinion about its handling of 1080p24 input.

Quote:


“The Epson will accept 1080p/24 sources, but according to Epson only displays at 1080p/60. Displays that can output 1080p/24 signals at 48Hz, 72Hz or 96Hz can provide a subtly smoother image by eliminating the "judder" associated with the 3/2 pulldown required to output film's 24p native images at 60Hz.”
http://ultimateavmag.com/videoprojec...07epsonprocin/

Second source is the Perfect Vision magazine for the Powerlite Home Cinema
Page 36 of the October 2007 Perfect Vision magazine also confirms that 1080P/24 is displayed at 60HZ.
http://www.avguide.com/products/product-4001/

It's your projector so I leave this to you to sort out.

Is the T 747 doing something the manual says it doesn't do? My conclusion is that it is reading the EDID from your projector as 1080p60 and is delivering that signal when set to auto. As you say, you can force the 747 to deliver 1080p24. You want that as the default setting.

Perhaps the forthcoming replacement for the T 747 will be so designed.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
drbonbi is offline  
post #183 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Thanks for the information about your projector. It appears that there is a difference of opinion about its handling of 1080p24 input.



It's your projector so I leave this to you to sort out.

Is the T 747 doing something the manual says it doesn't do? My conclusion is that it is reading the EDID from your projector as 1080p60 and is delivering that signal when set to auto. As you say, you can force the 747 to deliver 1080p24. You want that as the default setting.

Perhaps the forthcoming replacement for the T 747 will be so designed.

Dana

The projector I have is not the once you referenced above. Mine is the 1080UB (note the UB at the end). It does 24Hz natively. No question about. In fact, I will double check the EDID information tonight by setting the PS3 to AUTO for 24Hz output and then check the signal information on the projector while playing a bluray movie without the T747 in the middle. That would mean the PS3 is detecting the 24Hz support in the EDID from the projector.

You keep insisting it is my projector. Do you have a 24Hz display that you can test with? Does it work?

Also, forcing 24Hz for bluray movies is fine but then everything (including 60hz content) will be shown in 24Hz. So that is not good either.
bommai is offline  
post #184 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
drbonbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brunswick, ME
Posts: 5,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

The projector I have is not the once you referenced above. Mine is the 1080UB (note the UB at the end). It does 24Hz natively. No question about. In fact, I will double check the EDID information tonight by setting the PS3 to AUTO for 24Hz output and then check the signal information on the projector while playing a bluray movie without the T747 in the middle. That would mean the PS3 is detecting the 24Hz support in the EDID from the projector.

You keep insisting it is my projector. Do you have a 24Hz display that you can test with? Does it work?

Also, forcing 24Hz for bluray movies is fine but then everything (including 60hz content) will be shown in 24Hz. So that is not good either.

Yes, I guess I was mislead by the heading on the post.

Quote:


The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080UB has been removed from the list since it is 60HZ when 1080P/24 is applied

I'm not insisting on anything. What I'm saying is that the T 747 performs as described in the manual. You want to re-engineer it so that output to the display is driven by input regardless of internal settings or EDID of the display. That's not going to happen with the 747. Maybe with its successor.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
drbonbi is offline  
post #185 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Yes, I guess I was mislead by the heading on the post.



I'm not insisting on anything. What I'm saying is that the T 747 performs as described in the manual. You want to re-engineer it so that output to the display is driven by input regardless of internal settings or EDID of the display. That's not going to happen with the 747. Maybe with its successor.

Dana

You quoted something in your previous post about the 1080UB not being able to do 24Hz. Where did you get that from? Just curious.
bommai is offline  
post #186 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
drbonbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brunswick, ME
Posts: 5,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

You quoted something in your previous post about the 1080UB not being able to do 24Hz. Where did you get that from? Just curious.

About half way down on this page. It's the title on the post that includes the other references. The thrust is that the projector accepts 1080p24 but displays it at its native 1080p60 resolution.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
drbonbi is offline  
post #187 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here is a quote from projector central review of Epson 1080UB. See the 24fps support.
bommai is offline  
post #188 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

About half way down on this page. It's the title on the post that includes the other references. The thrust is that the projector accepts 1080p24 but displays it at its native 1080p60 resolution.

Dana

Actually, the 1080UB is still in the list.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/3903502-post922.html

And, here is the confirmation.
bommai is offline  
post #189 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
drbonbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brunswick, ME
Posts: 5,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Actually, the 1080UB is still in the list.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/3903502-post922.html

And, here is the confirmation.

Good clarification. A review here states the feature clearly.

Quote:
One welcome feature is a control called 2:2 Pulldown. When this control is enabled, a 1080p/24 video signal is displayed at 48Hzeach frame is repeated twice, just like in most commercial film projectors. This eliminates the judder of 3:2 pulldown when 1080p/24 is converted to 60Hz, as it is in most modern displays.

Now back to the T 747.

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
drbonbi is offline  
post #190 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Good clarification. A review here states the feature clearly.



Now back to the T 747.

Based on my tests last night (very late night!), the T747 is never passing through HDMI video as-is. It is applying something to it. Now I am concerned that it might be doing frame rate conversion multiple times if I send it a 24Hz signal and make it explicitly output a 24Hz signal. What if it converts it into 60Hz internally first. That would suck!

If I decide to keep this receiver it would almost seem that I have to split the signal first and send HDMI to receiver only for the purpose of audio. Luckily, I have only two sources. One is my iMac (DVI-HDMI for video, optical for audio) and my PS3 (HDMI for both). My projector has 2 HDMI inputs and I have wired both of them.

Any chance NAD can issue a software update to fix this. I wonder how their higher end receivers behave.

I noticed that the HK AVR 3600 supports total bypass of video processing/scaling. However, since I already have a HK 745 I really wanted to give NAD sound a try.
bommai is offline  
post #191 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Member
 
menocu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in seeing how this debate turns out. I'd say the option to pass an HDMI video signal untouched is a pretty essential feature for any HDMI-capable AVR, especially.
menocu is offline  
post #192 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I respectfully disagree. My projector is an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080UB. It has a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels and supports all resolutions. 1080p60 and 1080p48 being the native ones. If you give it 1080p24 it will double the frames and show it as 1080p48. It won't convert it using telecine conversion to 60Hz. In addition to that, it actually shows in the menu what the exact input signal properties are. I have verified this by using pixel accurate grid patterns from my iMac to the projector and every pixel was displayed.

So, when I connected my PS3 directly to the projector and displayed the input signal properties while playing a Bluray movie, it showed 1080p 23.90 Hz, 12-bit color.

Without changing anything else, but just introducing the T747 in between, made the projector show the input signal properties as 1080p 60Hz, 10-bit color.

Now, unlike many other bluray players, PS3 has an auto mode for 24Hz as well as a force mode. I used force mode - so I know the PS3 is outputting 24Hz and yet the T747 converts the signal.

I also disagree with bells and whistles comment. I am with you in the spirit of limiting bells and whistles and in fact that is what I want, but that is not what the T747 is doing.

What I would have wanted is a pure pass through of video. NAD proudly says that they have a pure analog pass through of audio without any DSP or A/D - D/A. They should have that philosophy for video also where they pass through the input to the output with absolutely no interference. But that is not what is happening. In fact the manual states that in auto mode, the T747 will use the best resolution that the display is capable of - not retain what is coming in. I proved this another way. I limited the output from my PS3 to 720p. The T747 still displayed 1080p60 when I pressed the DISP button on the remote. The DISP display shows what the NAD is outputting to the display not what is coming in.

So, we have a fixed output from T747 with source materials of varying resolution and so the scaler on the T747 is constantly engaged. I ran into almost the same issue in 2007 with a HK AVR 247 and that is why I returned it. I did not realize this kind of limitation is still an issue now.

I wonder how NAD's higher end receivers handle this.

Right now - I have to choose auto and watch everything in 1080p60 which I don't mind - but I do watch a lot of bluray movies and made sure my projector and PS3 are both capable of handling 24Hz. So, everytime I watch a movie, I will have to change the setting in T747 to force 24Hz output. Also, even then I don't know what kind of processing the T747 is applying to the video - including black/white clipping etc.

The 747 does not have a direct video bypass mode. The video processor can be switched OFF but still remains in the video path. Regarding the Epson, make sure that its firmware is updated as Epson is very slow in providing these...

Just my $0.02...
M Code is online now  
post #193 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The 747 does not have a direct video bypass mode. The video processor can be switched OFF but still remains in the video path. Regarding the Epson, make sure that its firmware is updated as Epson is very slow in providing these...

Just my $0.02...

Mcode,

Glad to see you in this thread. What do you mean by the video processor can be switched off but still remains in the video path. How can I turn this off? In auto mode it picks the best resolution my projector supports and then scales the output to this resolution thus resulting in processing. How can I avoid this?
bommai is offline  
post #194 of 1663 Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jtbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

I haven't been able to get above 48kHz yet, via HDMI at least. I tried a DVD burned from 2.0ch 24/96 FLAC downloads in my Oppo BDP-80, with the Oppo's maximum output sample rate set to 96kHz. I also have a commercial Blu-ray with a 2.0 24/88.2 soundtrack, but haven't tried it yet.

The problem here turned out to be with the configuration of the Oppo. In its Audio Format Setup menu, it had Secondary Audio set to "On," which mixes secondary audio streams in with the primary audio, and disables high-definition audio output. After I set Secondary Audio to "Off," I was able to get 96kHz into the T747, using both the DVD and the Blu-ray mentioned above.

The T747 displayed the Blu-ray as 96kHz even though it's really 88.2kHz. I don't know whether it actually got upsampled somewhere, or it's just the way the display is designed.
jtbell is offline  
post #195 of 1663 Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I spent more time with the T747. A mix of frustration and enjoyment.

No matter what I did, I cannot get the 24Hz issue to work. So, I guess it is a limitation of the receiver. Also, no go on mixing HDMI video and optical audio. So, my iMac is a no go either.

On the sample rate front, success. I was able to display the same rate on the front panel. My multi channel SACDs played at 176.4 kHz from the PS3. Stereo SACD only played at 48 kHz. Weird. I have to compare that with the HK AVR 745.

24-bit/96-kHz 5.1 PCM works great through HDMI

24-bit/96-kHz 2.0 PCM works great through optical.

Two big issues. I did an auto calibration. It sent test tones and finally said calibration completed. I got out and made sure it was persistent. I went back in and the settings were still there. Speaker size, distance, channel levels were all set. Channel levels were set a little odd. Right Front speaker was reduced by 4 dB. Weird. I took out my SPL meter and sent test tones using my Video Essentials DVD. I ran through the test tones and my right channel was too low. I manually adjusted all 5.1 channel levels. So, the auto configuration did not get the levels correct - not even close. Distances were set ok.

It picked large for LCR and small -80Hz for SL and SR.

I watched Dark Knight on bluray for a couple of minutes and noticed that my center channel was not working at all. I rebooted the receiver and it worked. May be there is a glitch in my receiver.

After watching dark knight for a few minutes, I realized something was really wrong. The center channel was not working. I paused it and turned off the 747 and turned it back on and then the center channel started working. But then looked through the speaker configuration - and all my settings were gone! All speakers became SMALL and distances were 0. What happened to my settings? DId they just vanish.

I have a Monoprice HDX-402E matrix HDMI switcher/splitter. I used that to split the PS3 video and audio. Video goes straight to video. Audio goes through the receiver. Now I can watch 1080p24 from bluray while also listening to PCM 5.1 at 24-bit/96.

I was hoping to get rid of it since the T747 is newer and has four HDMI inputs. Oh well. Tomorrow I am going to do A/B comparison and some more music/movie listening.
bommai is offline  
post #196 of 1663 Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just talked to NAD Technical Support.

Here are the major points according to them:

1) The scaler cannot be defeated. It can only send out one particular resolution. The one it determines to be the best according to EDID info coming from the display (AUTO mode) or the specific mode set by the user such as 1080p 24, 1080p 60, etc. I forgot to ask him if it processes any video in a particular refresh rate internally.

I was told that I might be able to put this setting into a preset and activate a particular preset for bluray movie, a different preset for other content, etc. He was not sure though that this setting can be done through the preset.

2) Next I asked him about firmware upgrade. The latest version is M 1.36. You can find your version by putting the receiver in AM radio source and the press and hold down the listening mode button for 7 seconds. He recommended that I don't attempt a firmware upgrade myself and that the dealer should do it. I don't have any dealers around me

3) I mentioned my disappearance of configuration information and he said it could be a glitch and I should do a factory reset.

I am going to do more listening tests over the weekend.
bommai is offline  
post #197 of 1663 Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
drbonbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brunswick, ME
Posts: 5,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
I just talked to NAD Technical Support.

Here are the major points according to them:

1) The scaler cannot be defeated. It can only send out one particular resolution. The one it determines to be the best according to EDID info coming from the display (AUTO mode) or the specific mode set by the user such as 1080p 24, 1080p 60, etc. I forgot to ask him if it processes any video in a particular refresh rate internally.

I was told that I might be able to put this setting into a preset and activate a particular preset for bluray movie, a different preset for other content, etc. He was not sure though that this setting can be done through the preset.

2) Next I asked him about firmware upgrade. The latest version is M 1.36. You can find your version by putting the receiver in AM radio source and the press and hold down the listening mode button for 7 seconds. He recommended that I don't attempt a firmware upgrade myself and that the dealer should do it. I don't have any dealers around me

3) I mentioned my disappearance of configuration information and he said it could be a glitch and I should do a factory reset.

I am going to do more listening tests over the weekend.
All good to know. I thought your config info would be saved if you used a preset.

Thanks for sharing.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
drbonbi is offline  
post #198 of 1663 Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
dana - do you know how the presets work? What all gets saved? Can it save pretty much everything in the setup and then I restore it back when I activate that preset! I don't know.
bommai is offline  
post #199 of 1663 Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
drbonbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brunswick, ME
Posts: 5,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

dana - do you know how the presets work? What all gets saved? Can it save pretty much everything in the setup and then I restore it back when I activate that preset! I don't know.

Yes, that's essentially it. See pg. 18 of the manual. You can have multiple presets. That may make it easier when you want to switch to a 1080p24 source.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
drbonbi is offline  
post #200 of 1663 Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Yes, that's essentially it. See pg. 18 of the manual. You can have multiple presets. That may make it easier when you want to switch to a 1080p24 source.

Dana

I reread the section and I don't think Video setup is part of the preset. They don't mention it. I wish it was. That would be perfect.
bommai is offline  
post #201 of 1663 Old 02-12-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anybody have this problem with the T747?

I did the auto configuration through microphone. While it was sending test tones, I noticed the front right speaker sounded louder. The surround left speaker sounded loud also. The sub sounded loud also.

After setting up, I used test tones from video essentials DVD and an spl meter. I noticed that the front right and surround left speakers were softer by about 4 dB. The sub was softer by 8 dB. I manually changed the levels.

Two questions. Why is this happening? And does my changing levels manually affect the stored EQ settings.

My room is rectangular.
bommai is offline  
post #202 of 1663 Old 02-12-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am having good luck with the monoprice 4x2 matrix hdmi switcher/splitter. I connected my PS3 and IMac to the inputs. I connected one output to hdmi 1 of the T747 and the other one to my projector. I also connected the output of the 747 to another input of my projector. I can set the projector to this input for osd. I can use the other input of the projector to watch 24hz content since it comes from the hdmi switcher and not the T747.

This arrangement makes sure the video does not go through any processing in the receiver. Cons. One more equipment to buy and control with remote. Extra cabling, space and opportunity for hdmi mess-ups. Also I am only using one hdmi input in the T747. What a waste!
bommai is offline  
post #203 of 1663 Old 02-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
rana_kirti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bommai, I appreciate you sharing your experiences with the 747. I'm keen about this avr and m considering buying it

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
rana_kirti is offline  
post #204 of 1663 Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Update on my T747 experience.

We watched the movie "Knowing" last night in Bluray. I used the Monoprice HDX-402E splitter/switcher along with NAD T747, PS3, Klipsch Reference RF5 fronts, RC7 center, RS35 surrounds, Elemental Designs A3-300 sub. Epson 1080UB projector. I used the splitter to get the 24Hz signal directly to the projector. The PS3 is gen 1 and it was decoding DTS-HD-Ma internally and sending PCM 5.1 to the T747 (through the matrix switcher). Sound was great. The airplane crash and the subway crash scenes were exhilarating. Dialogs were clear. No extra processing. Just 5.1 lossless audio. Impressed.

I need to watch some more content. Then I will have to reinstall my HK AVR 745 and repeat and see if I see justifiable difference.
bommai is offline  
post #205 of 1663 Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
rana_kirti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i'm looking forward to your findings....

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
rana_kirti is offline  
post #206 of 1663 Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If I press the TEST button on the remote for several seconds, it turns on or off the EQ. While watching Live Free or Die Hard in Bluray last night, I tried both settings. The off setting sounded better than the on setting. It could be just the volume level difference between the two, but I think I liked it when it said it is OFF. Hmm.
bommai is offline  
post #207 of 1663 Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Member
 
menocu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My T747 arrived over the weekend and I got it hooked up and calibrated. I'm using HDMI for OPPO BDP-83>T747>Samsung LCD. I'd say the sound is certainly impressive. I'm upgrading from a 12 year old Denon, so while the OSD and remote aren't perfect, they're much better than what I'm used to in an AVR (and worse than what I'm used to in my BDP and TV. As I now must use at least 3 remotes just to watch a DVD, I'm seriously pondering investing in a nice universal remote, maybe Harmony that I've heard so much about (any recommendations on those- under $200?).

I had the same channel level weirdness bommai had, where after auto-calibrating, distances on the speakers seemed spot-on but the levels seemed almost randomly adjusted (+1 on FL, -3 on FR?). Strange, but it sounds good. Not sure if I should manually adjust or just go with it.

2 biggest issues so far:

1. The frame rate that seems to be bothering many users. I was previously running HDMI straight from the OPPO to the tv with a 2nd optical cable to the Denon. Now it's pure HDMI to the receiver then to the tv (there's only 1 HDMI out on OPPO's BDP-83). It took quite a bit of playing around with the settings on the OPPO and the NAD to get a video image that doesn't have motion artifacts and looks okay for both DVDs and Blu-ray, or at least the few of each I tested. I can definitely understand why this is frustrating for owners and why passing the video through untouched is popular feature. I feel if the T747 had true passthrough, it would be unbeatable in its price range. My only other alternatives would seem to be a)go back to running HDMI to the tv and optical to the NAD (boo) b)buy an HDMI switcher c)upgrade to the OPPO BDP-93. I'm probably going to stick it out for now, at least until some major issue arises, like having to constantly switch frame rates on the NAD (it really is buried in the OSD).

2. I'm now getting a popping noise, occasionally a pretty loud one, seemingly every time I hit play or stop or return to the dvd/blu-ray menu. Oddly, this pop seems to only be coming from the tv, even when the volume is turned way down. This has never been an issue before, even when I was running HDMI directly to the tv from the OPPO. Not sure what's causing this or if anyone else is having the issue. Any advice is appreciated.
menocu is offline  
post #208 of 1663 Old 02-15-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by menocu View Post

My T747 arrived over the weekend and I got it hooked up and calibrated. I'm using HDMI for OPPO BDP-83>T747>Samsung LCD. I'd say the sound is certainly impressive. I'm upgrading from a 12 year old Denon, so while the OSD and remote aren't perfect, they're much better than what I'm used to in an AVR (and worse than what I'm used to in my BDP and TV. As I now must use at least 3 remotes just to watch a DVD, I'm seriously pondering investing in a nice universal remote, maybe Harmony that I've heard so much about (any recommendations on those- under $200?).

I had the same channel level weirdness bommai had, where after auto-calibrating, distances on the speakers seemed spot-on but the levels seemed almost randomly adjusted (+1 on FL, -3 on FR?). Strange, but it sounds good. Not sure if I should manually adjust or just go with it.

2 biggest issues so far:

1. The frame rate that seems to be bothering many users. I was previously running HDMI straight from the OPPO to the tv with a 2nd optical cable to the Denon. Now it's pure HDMI to the receiver then to the tv (there's only 1 HDMI out on OPPO's BDP-83). It took quite a bit of playing around with the settings on the OPPO and the NAD to get a video image that doesn't have motion artifacts and looks okay for both DVDs and Blu-ray, or at least the few of each I tested. I can definitely understand why this is frustrating for owners and why passing the video through untouched is popular feature. I feel if the T747 had true passthrough, it would be unbeatable in its price range. My only other alternatives would seem to be a)go back to running HDMI to the tv and optical to the NAD (boo) b)buy an HDMI switcher c)upgrade to the OPPO BDP-93. I'm probably going to stick it out for now, at least until some major issue arises, like having to constantly switch frame rates on the NAD (it really is buried in the OSD).

2. I'm now getting a popping noise, occasionally a pretty loud one, seemingly every time I hit play or stop or return to the dvd/blu-ray menu. Oddly, this pop seems to only be coming from the tv, even when the volume is turned way down. This has never been an issue before, even when I was running HDMI directly to the tv from the OPPO. Not sure what's causing this or if anyone else is having the issue. Any advice is appreciated.

If you don't care for audio in TV, then in the T747 you can turn off audio to TV. It will send only video. Yeah - the sound quality will be a step or two up from Denon. What did you do regarding the frame rate issue? Did you just change it manually everytime you watch a different material? I am wondering how the sound quality compares to a HK AVR 3600. It has HDMI pass through for video I believe.
bommai is offline  
post #209 of 1663 Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For two days in a row, I have noticed that when I turn on the AVR and play a PS3, there is nothing in the center channel. If I change source and change it back in the AVR or if I turn it off and on, the center channel comes back. Does anyone have this problem?
bommai is offline  
post #210 of 1663 Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jtbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My T747 arrived last Wednesday, and I've integrated it completely into my A/V setup and Logitech Harmony remote.

Configuring the Harmony to use the T747 was mostly straightforward. I had to teach it the T747's "Menu" command because the one in the Harmony database didn't work.

There's an HDMI handshake issue with my 5-year-old Panasonic TC-32LX50 LCD TV and Sony DHG-HDD500 HD DVR. When the Harmony turns on the TV, DVR and T747 normally (without any special tweaks in the Harmony configuration) the video comes through, but not the audio. If I then force another handshake by quickly switching the T747 to another source and back again, it does pass the audio. I suspect this has to do with the TV taking a long time to start up, and I expect that it can be solved by programming a suitable delay into the startup sequence. In the meantime, I'm using a 2ch analog audio connection between the DVR and the T747, which sounds OK to me anyway. (My audio setup is completely 2-channel.)

The other two HDMI-connected devices do start up OK together with the TV: the Apple TV and the Oppo Blu-ray player. So this issue is specific to the DVR+T747 combination. The DVR started up OK with the HDMI switch that I used before.

The T747 does not appear to affect video passing through it from the DVR via HDMI, with the DVR's output set to 1080i, the T747's output set likewise via Video Setup --> Video Format, and Video Setup --> Picture Setup --> Video Modes set to "Normal." If there is a difference between a DVR --> T747 --> TV connection and a direct DVR --> TV connection, I can't detect it by eye. This is with a 5 1/2 year old 32" LCD TV. A plasma or more modern LCD with lower black levels might reveal differences, if they exist, at those levels.

As I've posted before, I wanted to be able to set up the T747 so I could watch something on my DVR while substituting audio from my Apple TV (streaming from iTunes on my Mac). This works, using the following source setup:

Code:
     Audio
 #    A  D  Video
 1   A1 --   H1   (DVR 1)
 4   -- H4   H4   (Apple TV)
 6   A3 --   H1   (DVR 1 and ATV audio)
and similarly for a second DVR. I get a very brief gap (fraction of a second) in the audio when switching from source 4 to 6, and a much longer gap when switching from 6 to 4 because of the HDMI handshake. If this ends up being a real nuisance, I'll change source 4 to use A3 for audio instead of H4. The Apple TV feeds A3 via a Musical Fidelity V-DAC which works very well.

Although there are ten sources, only nine of them are configurable to use different physical inputs. Source 10 is permanently assigned to the radio tuner.

Switching in general is much more reliable with the T747 than previously with an NAD C352 amp (audio) and an HDMI switch (video). One or the other of those two occasionally failed to pick up the command properly from my Harmony remote, and I had to fix it using the Harmony's "device mode." This was a minor nuisance for me, but a real head-scratcher for my wife. The T747 has always recognized the Harmony reliably and switched cleanly.

Overall, I'm happy with the T747 so far. There are a couple of minor annoyances, but I figure there would be something no matter which receiver I use.
jtbell is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off