The "Official" NAD T 747 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1655 Old 10-29-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello to NAD T 747 owners and those considering ownership of the AVR! I have one on its way to me. I thought I'd start this thread to share my experiences and encourage others to do the same. I will try to emulate some of the better ownership threads on the AVS Forum by putting key information on the start up page so it can be readily referred to rather than become buried in the thread as it (hopefully) lengthens.

Features (from the online brochure here).

• 7 X 60 watts Simultaneous Full Disclosure Power

• 7 X 120 watts Minimum Continuous Power (FTC)

• Auto Setup and Calibration of speaker settings with supplied microphone

• Data Port for use with optional NAD Dock for iPod

• Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio lossless decoding

• Dolby Digital Plus, ProLogic IIx, DTS HD High Resolution Audio, Digital Surround 96/24, Neo:6

• EARS surround, Enhanced Stereo, Dolby Virtual

• 5 Custom AV Presets allow instant recall of unique speaker settings, listening mode, and tone settings

• AM/FM Tuner with 60 Presets (30 AM and 30 FM presets)

• Optional DAB (230V) or XM (120V) Tuner Modules

• 4 HDMI Inputs with Repeater Function

• Analogue Video Inputs are converted to digital HDMI Output

• SD signals are converted to HD up to 1080p with onboard Faroudja DCDi Processing

• 6 Analogue Audio Inputs, plus 7.1 analogue input

• 2 Optical and 2 Coax Digital Audio Inputs

• 4 Analogue Video (S-Video and Composite) and 3 Component Video inputs

• Front Panel Inputs for games, cameras, etc. include S-Video and Composite Video, Analogue Audio, Optical Digital Audio

• 2 Digital Outputs; 1 Optical, 1 Coax

• Zone 2 AV Output with independent Source and Volume setting

• 2 IR Inputs, 1 IR Output

• RS-232 port interface to advanced control systems

• 12V Trigger Out

• AVR 3 Remote; 4 Device Control with NAD code library

• ZR 5 Second Zone Remote

From a dealer web site:

Quote:
General Features:
on-screen display for easy setup and operation
60 AM/FM presets
A/V remote
17-1/8"W x 6-5/8"H x 16-5/8"D
weight: 29 lbs.
warranty: 2 years

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1655 Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

About NAD Electronics:

NAD Electronics is a brand name owned by the Canadian company, Lenbrook. Products include low-cost home audiophile amplifiers and related components. Originally founded in London, England by Martin Borish, the company is presently owned by the Lenbrook Group of Pickering, Ontario, Canada. Originally NAD was an acronym for New Acoustic Dimension.

Its most famous product is the late-1970s NAD 3020 amplifier, designed by Bjørn Erik Edvardsen, which became a staple of low-budget Hi-Fi in Britain.

The company's philosophy is to include only genuinely useful features for aesthetically understated designs when compared to other competitors product. NAD used leading-edge designers but to contract in most cases lower-cost manufacturers on a product-by-product basis, typically in Asia, before the practice became more commonplace.

Power-supply design

NAD focuses on the concept of “effective power” and its amplifiers have been known for delivering generous headroom, meaning that they can deliver dynamic power bursts far in excess of their rated RMS power. The key to this feature is to use a flexible power supply which stores significant reserve current for quick release at moments of high musical load. The various incarnations of this design have been associated with different names over the years including Power Envelope and recently PowerDrive. Additional benefits of this approach include the fact that amplifiers using this technology can handle complex, real-life, lower-impedance loudspeaker loads as compared with the simple 8-ohm resistor typically used to calculate advertised power ratings and the fact that the circuitry in this approach requires less cooling, while maintaining ability to handle complex impedance loads as low as 2 ohms.

Clipping protection

An amplifier that is overdriven, or pushed beyond its designed power capabilities, produces audible distortion known as clipping by cutting off extremes of the music waveform, resulting in harshly unpleasant sound and threatening damage to speakers, particularly tweeters. NAD amplifiers incorporate a user-defeatable "Soft-Clipping" circuit to address this issue. It gently transforms the music waveform as the point of clipping approaches, the goal being clearer reproduction and simultaneous protection of speakers.

From page 4 for the T 747 Manual:

THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING NAD.

The T 747 A/V Receiver is a technologically advanced and highly capable product — yet we have invested great effort in making it simple and easy to use. The T 747 delivers a range of genuinely useful options for surround sound and stereo listening, using powerful digital signal processing and superbly accurate digital-audio circuitry. However, we have also been careful to ensure that the T 747 is as musically transparent and spatially accurate as possible, incorporating much of what we’ve learned from a quarter century’s experience designing audio, video and home-theater components. As with all our products, NAD’s “Music First” design philosophy guided the T 747’s design, such that it can confidently promise you both state-of-the-art surround home-theater and audiophile-quality music listening for years to come.

post #3 of 1655 Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Published reviews of the T 747 as found on the NAD web site.

2010-05-24 Home Theater Mag Reviews the T 747 AV Receiver

2009-12-15 T 747 AV Receiver Best of 2009

2009-09-06 Home Cinema Choice Reviews T 747 AV Receiver

2009-09-06 HomeTheaterReview.com T 747 AV Receiver Review

Also:

Home Theater Sound Reviewer's Choice March 2010

Audioholics NAD T 747 A/V Receiver First Look This "Executive Overview" includes the observation "... NAD has followed the KISS principle throughout the design of this A/V receiver."

Reviewed by Richard Stevenson. Techradar.com. UK model. Reviewed September 18th 2009.

A user review from page 20 of this thread.

post #4 of 1655 Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Front view.

Back view.

post #5 of 1655 Old 10-29-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One can find an authorized dealer using the NAD website Dealer Locator page which also contains the following advisory:

Quote:
A Warning To Our Valued Customers

The warranty on NAD products is not valid if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced, or replaced in any way. NAD is aware of instances in which such unauthorized dealer sales and/or serial number tampering has occurred. Protect your warranty. If you are not sure that a dealer is authorized, please check the Dealer Locator or inquire with the NAD distributor in your country. Why buy only from authorized dealers? Find out here.

According to info from one authorized dealer, the T 747 has a two year warranty.

post #6 of 1655 Old 10-30-2010, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Data Sheet - T 747 A/V Surround Sound Receiver

T 747 A/V Surround Sound Receiver - English Manual

post #7 of 1655 Old 10-30-2010, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The T 747 is a HDMI 1.3 product that was apparently introduced in 2009 when some earlier reviews were written. At the time at least one review noted that video processing was on all the time when using HDMI..

But the current T 747 brochure says

"• 4 HDMI Inputs with Repeater Function."

This apparently means that the video is passed through without processing, a feature that I expressly wanted. No need IMHO to have further processing from the AVR over an HDMI connection when both the source and the TV have processing chips.

The Manual download legend indicates it is "version 2" but there's no indication that I've found of what changes were made. I hope to find out. But, there is no indication that there is any way for the end user to further update the operating system. (No USB or ethernet port.)

More later. (I hope.)

Dana

post #8 of 1655 Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

just a note... "repeater" merely means that it will send and receive hdmi signals... it doesn't imply that there is no processing going on...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #9 of 1655 Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

just a note... "repeater" merely means that it will send and receive hdmi signals... it doesn't imply that there is no processing going on...

Thanks. Here's what Home Theater Review said:

Quote:

Aside from the T 747's power output, it plays host to a variety of modern features aimed at the home theater enthusiast. For starters the T 747 has four HDMI inputs with Repeater Function, meaning once the audio/video signal hits the T 747's internal circuitry the two are split and only the video is sent to the display via the monitor outputs ensuring a clearer signal. All legacy video signals are upconverted to 1080p via the T 747's internal Faroudja DCDi processor and sent to your display via its HDMI monitor out...

I take it from mentioning that "All legacy video signals are upconverted... " that it does pass through HDMI video without processing. But, I've asked NAD for clarification.

Also note that the NAD brochure says "The onboard video processing engine is capable of adjusting older formats to fit your new HD TV set adding enjoyment to your existing library of DVDs." Older formats only are upconverted if I read it correctly.

And, the T 747 Manual page 30 says: "The T 747 has the excellent ability to upconvert standard definition video contents to high definition video signal." (My emphasis.)

Dana

post #10 of 1655 Old 10-30-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

yea, they should be able to clarify that for you....

another "fwiw"...

this line from the review...

"only the video is sent to the display via the monitor outputs ensuring a clearer signal."

is "marketing speak"... due to the way a hdmi stream "works" (i.e. TMDS), the video can't be impacted by audio... whether or not the data island (where the audio information is carried) is blank or carries data, it has no impact on the video data period (where the video information is carried)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #11 of 1655 Old 10-30-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since NAD literature notes that the T 747 has "4 HDMI Inputs with Repeater Function" I went looking for a definition of the term "repeater function." It turns out that it can mean more than one operation.

The most succinct definition I found here as part of a HDCP description.

Quote:

Repeater
A repeater accepts content, decrypts it, then re-encrypts and retransmits the data. It may perform some signal processing, such as upconverting video into a higher-resolution format, or splitting out the audio portion of the signal. Repeaters have HDMI inputs and outputs. Examples include home theater audio-visual receivers that separate and amplify the audio signal, while re-transmitting the video for display on a TV. A repeater could also simply send the input data stream to multiple outputs for simultaneous display on several screens.

So, it is a more general term than I realized. I think it means with respect to the T 747 that it strips off the audio and retransmits the video only to the display. We'll let NAD tell us definitely.

Dana

post #12 of 1655 Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yes, that's the definition of "repeater"...

- chris

post #13 of 1655 Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

NAD Canada responded via email this morning to my email inquiry I sent over the weekend regarding what the nature is of the HDMI repeater function on the T 747. I was invited to call their customer service department and speak with a specific technician there. I did so. He confirmed that the T 747 retransmits via HDMI the incoming HD video signal it receives via HDMI without additional processing.

Dana

post #14 of 1655 Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 AM

Hi there,

I have been reading a lot about the NAD T747 and am a big fan of NAD since I purchased my 2-channel Receiver back in the early 90s (NAD 7250PE). I intend on buying the T747 shortly.

Anyhow, from all I've read NAD still retains it's musicality, which is what impressed me way back when and does a fine job with video too. The only issue I see is one which has come up in a couple of places and that is the lack of video switching between 24/50/60 Hz - one place I saw this comment was a review from somebody (in Switzerland) on the amazon.com website. Funnily enough, it ISN'T something that has come up in any of the "professional" reviews. It sounded as though one had to switch the Receiver's video output depending on what your source is (BD, DVD, Satellite, etc.). Someone else's review talked about a workaround but didn't actually say what that workaround was, I thought that this forum would be the perfect place to post this comment and ask for comments/solutions.

I am in Canada and also wonder whether this may be a Europe-specific problem.

Thanks,
Frank
post #15 of 1655 Old 11-02-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpinilla View Post

Hi there,

I have been reading a lot about the NAD T747 and am a big fan of NAD since I purchased my 2-channel Receiver back in the early 90s (NAD 7250PE). I intend on buying the T747 shortly.

Anyhow, from all I've read NAD still retains it's musicality, which is what impressed me way back when and does a fine job with video too. The only issue I see is one which has come up in a couple of places and that is the lack of video switching between 24/50/60 Hz - one place I saw this comment was a review from somebody (in Switzerland) on the amazon.com website. Funnily enough, it ISN'T something that has come up in any of the "professional" reviews. It sounded as though one had to switch the Receiver's video output depending on what your source is (BD, DVD, Satellite, etc.). Someone else's review talked about a workaround but didn't actually say what that workaround was, I thought that this forum would be the perfect place to post this comment and ask for comments/solutions.

Thanks,
Frank

As you may have noted from my post just above yours, I talked with NAD Canada yesterday! In the course of the conversation about HDMI pass through of video, the rep mentioned a "what if" scenario involving HDMI handshake problems. But, he said if my TV was a North American 60Hz model, there wouldn't be a problem. It is - so I didn't pursue it.

Based on that very short conversation, I do think it's a European issue.

Dana

PS. Thanks for reminding me of where that comment was originally posted. I went looking for it again - and couldn't find it! I'll be getting mine today and may have it up and running within the next day or so.

post #16 of 1655 Old 11-06-2010, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My NAD T 747 arrived on schedule by FEDEX on Tuesday. I would have opened the box and set it up sooner than I did save for typical life events that crowd out one's personal plans. A sick cat came first.

But, I opened the box and got it setup Thursday. And as the title indicates I've been in a state of nirvana since then.

I've not going to attempt a full-blown review although I've done them elsewhere for other equipment, especially since this thread apparently is not of interest to many.

Setup. Setup using the onscreen display was relatively user friendly. Compared with a Denon AVR 789, a consumer mid-level box circa 2008 that had a MSRP about half of the T 747, it is very straight-forward. Once I got used to it - the printed manual helps but usage is the best learning tool - I felt comfortable enough to redo some preliminary settings. It becomes a tool rather than remain an intimidating challenge.

Other Equipment.

• A OPPO BDP-83 workhorse disc player for playback of BD, DVD and CDs.

• A DirecTV HR24-700 HD DVR for TV.

• A LG BD550 player that I use primarily for access to Netflix and Pandora.

In use.

Another reason I am a bit slow to write down my impressions is that I've been too busy enjoying what I hear! Suddenly, audio is important again and I've been fiddling with my listening/viewing area, getting my furniture and 7.1 speakers setup just so and noting the updated info on the NAD setup OSD.

And I've been playing some favorite CDs, discovering nuances that I haven't previously heard.

Summary.

Moving up from the Denon 789 invites a comparison although the best way would be with an A/B switch. But here goes anyway.

The Denon 789 is a good AVR and I have enjoyed it. But the setup is overly complex and the OSD setup menu it has is not easy to navigate. Even after you have successfully done so, you don't want to revisit it. The manual is so difficult to understand that someone in this country using the handle "BatPig" has made quite a reputation for himself on the Denon threads for translating "Denon-speak" into English and writing it up in a lengthy treatise of his own! Not good.

The 789 remote is double-sided with a myriad of buttons!

By contrast one might be tempted to say the T 747 setup is basic. That's good! I don't know the history of the T 747 but to hazard a guess, I'd say it is a simplified version of the higher end NAD AVRs that sell for double and triple its MSRP. Setup is straight-forward. Emphasis is on audio; incoming HD video via HDMI is passed along to the TV without further processing. Perfect.

As for audio some reviewers more knowledgeable than me say NADs are music centric. After listening to some favorite CDs of mine, I think it's rather like Technicolor is to B&W movies. There is coloration that I wasn't hearing when the same CDs played through the same source equipment using the Denon. Individual instruments are distinct, not muffled. The human voice - speaking or singing - through the center speaker is clear and easily understood.

This is the perfect AVR for me. I'm impressed.

A footnote. The T 747 is "XM Radio Ready" which made it easy to swap my XM Radio from the Denon AVR 789. I briefly considered another AVR that among other things was only "Sirius Radio Ready." It turns out that a changeover would have involved considerable expense since XM has a wireless relay antenna that Sirius doesn't.

Dana

post #17 of 1655 Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 PM

Dana, thanks for the update on your purchase, we are in very similar situations. I currently own an older Denon (AVR-1905) and am really looking forward to the purchase of the T747 and getting back to a receiver with "musicality"! If there are any hiccups or extra little tidbits that you'd like to add, at least there is one other reader of this thread!

I am also in line for an Oppo BD but am awaiting the release of the new BDP-93 (supposed to be coming out in the next couple of weeks), keep enjoying the T747 and keep us apprised of any new findings.

Frank
post #18 of 1655 Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dana, thanks for the update on your purchase, we are in very similar situations. I currently own an older Denon (AVR-1905) and am really looking forward to the purchase of the T747 and getting back to a receiver with "musicality"! If there are any hiccups or extra little tidbits that you'd like to add, at least there is one other reader of this thread!

I am also in line for an Oppo BD but am awaiting the release of the new BDP-93 (supposed to be coming out in the next couple of weeks), keep enjoying the T747 and keep us apprised of any new findings.

Frank
Frank, I'm delighted to hear from you again and know of your interest. It makes construction of this thread worthwhile if someone can benefit from it.

Gene DellaSala in his Audioholics NAD T 747 A/V Receiver First Look writeup said:

Quote:
... (I)t seem(s) that NAD has followed the KISS principle throughout the design of this A/V receiver.

It's nice to see NAD hasn't compromised their "amplifier quality first over features" principle which has earned them a loyal following among the most critical A/V enthusiasts.
That seems to sum it up nicely. Quite a design difference from Denon's approach I think.

Oppo has now posted a web page with more details about the 93 along with a way to register to receive more info about release. I am among the 20% or so who cannot see 3D because of an eye problem.

Dana

post #19 of 1655 Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
only one owner as yet...?

any other members has this one...?

I'm intending to get a T 747....!

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #20 of 1655 Old 12-02-2010, 03:07 PM

First, I would like to thank you for starting the thread; I have been hoping someone would.

I've owned numerous pieces of NAD equipment over the years and think the T747 is a good excuse to return. I almost jumped earlier when one authorized online dealer ran a short special but was still doing research on the other NAD receivers (775 mainly). Hopefully the sale will come again.

One area of interest is the ability to store various audio parameters per input. I'm getting very frustrated with "global" settings for speaker size, crossover, sub presence, and default surround modes. Any insight regarding that would be appreciated.

Another area is power. I'm very familiar with NAD's conservative ratings (as are Harmon Kardon's) and would like to hear others comment on equipment they are using with the 747. It would not be a showstopper for me as I am currently using a Carver external 5-channel with my HK and could continue it with the NAD. Still, it would be interesting to hear about what others think about the 60 watts.

Again, thanks for starting the thread. I will follow it closely and contribute when I finally make the purchase.

Marty
post #21 of 1655 Old 12-02-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your comments, Marty. You might want to check out this authorized dealer which is where I purchased mine.

My T747 is driving a 7.1 Aperion Audio 8 ohm speaker setup and there is p-l-e-n-t-y of power. Occasionally when I switch from another source to XM Radio, the volume is so loud that I have to dive for the remote. You'd think I'd learn after the first time.

The OSD settings are well organized and easy to adjust. It is not a complicated receiver. TBTG. Finally, the sound is awesome.

Dana

post #22 of 1655 Old 12-03-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wrote NAD recently about the HDMI warning I read in the Owner's manual. Here's a clip of my question.

Quote:

Dana Baggett
2010-11-29 11:35 Warning about HDMI connection/disconnection

I read this warning on page 8 of the T 747 Owner's Manual:

"Before connecting and disconnecting any HDMI cables, both the T 747 and the ancillary source must be powered OFF and unplugged from the AC outlet. Failure to observe this practice may cause permanent damage to all equipment connected via HDMI sockets."

This is the only HDMI device - I own several - where I have ever read this warning. Does it mean that the T 747 HDMI sockets carry more electrical current than other devices with HDMI?

Many thanks in advance.

Here's the answer I received.

Quote:

Pam Anderson
2010-12-03 11:56 re: Warning about HDMI connection/disconnection
Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Centre.

It is meant to avoid unintended spikes when plugging/unplugging the connector. As a general rule, when connecting or disconnecting cables, input, output, etc, it is best that it is done with the units involved powered down.

In the case of HDMI connector, there are some devices with HDMI wherein when you hot plug/unplug them, the unit hangs up or freezes. Powering down the units involved before making connections/disconnections may prevent such unwanted scenarios.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Pam Anderson

Dana

post #23 of 1655 Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 AM

Good morning.

Came across the NAD T747 in my search for a new receiver. Found a pretty good deal with some free items (blu ray player) thrown in. I assume however that the T747 will not handle 3D. Is that correct?

Thanks.
post #24 of 1655 Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwyzard View Post
Good morning.

Came across the NAD T747 in my search for a new receiver. Found a pretty good deal with some free items (blu ray player) thrown in. I assume however that the T747 will not handle 3D. Is that correct?

Thanks.
Yes, that is correct. It has HDMI 1.3.

Some of the new Blu-ray 3D players - one from LG already released and another coming from OPPO soon - are equipped with two HDMI terminals. One goes directly to the TV to deliver 3D to a compliant display while the other HDMI port provides audio to a noncompliant AVR.

Dana

post #25 of 1655 Old 12-12-2010, 06:58 AM

hello, i have the t747 and i accidentally hit a button on my remote
I do not know which one
and now i cant get any picture or the menu to come up on the tv
im currently hdmi out to tv and hdmi in from my digital cable box and xbox
neither will work
the tv says that the mode is not supported
the resolution is not supported on this tv, please change the resolution
i assume that I changed it somehow
but i cant find how to change it back without seeing the menu

and resetting my receiver would be a huge pain because its all tweaked to my liking
please can anyone assist?
post #26 of 1655 Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:

Hi there,

Thanks,
Frank

OK, I live in the UK and I've run up against this problem.

With the video mode set to Auto, the T747 seems to want to convert everything to 50Hz, with the predictable result that 24p blu-rays and NTSC DVDs (of which I have quite a few) suffer from severe juddering.

This seems ridiculous to me - is it too much to expect that the amp will output the same signal that it's being fed? The option to manually select the output frequency is buried away in the menus, and I'm not prepared to have to change it every time I use a different source.

I'll be contacting NAD to speak to a tech rep to get a definitive answer to this problem. I hope it's solveable by a firmware update or some other means, otherwise the amp is going back to the store to be changed for another brand.

I've scoured the web and have only found a couple of comments about this issue from European users. I agree that none of the professional reviews (including those from the UK) appear to mention it. This has got me wondering as to whether there is a handshaking problem between the amp and certain TV's. I'm using a 3.5 year old Toshiba LCD, which (in common with all flat panel displays) will quite happily display a range of source resolutions and frame-rates - however I wonder if it's telling the T747 that it only supports 50Hz.

I'd be prepared to upgrade to a newer TV if it solved this issue, as I'd really like to keep the T747 - the sound quality is excellent and it's overall a very solid and quality piece of kit.

A.
post #27 of 1655 Old 12-13-2010, 02:49 AM

This amp is already on its way out from what I can tell. The 737 is on its way out as well. Once you see heavy discounting it usually means the new models are coming. This makes sense with CES around the corner.

If anyone is interested it's being discounted 300.00 at Audio Advisor.
post #28 of 1655 Old 12-13-2010, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorakus View Post

OK, I live in the UK and I've run up against this problem.

With the video mode set to Auto, the T747 seems to want to convert everything to 50Hz, with the predictable result that 24p blu-rays and NTSC DVDs (of which I have quite a few) suffer from severe juddering.

This seems ridiculous to me - is it too much to expect that the amp will output the same signal that it's being fed? The option to manually select the output frequency is buried away in the menus, and I'm not prepared to have to change it every time I use a different source.

I'll be contacting NAD to speak to a tech rep to get a definitive answer to this problem. I hope it's solveable by a firmware update or some other means, otherwise the amp is going back to the store to be changed for another brand.

I've scoured the web and have only found a couple of comments about this issue from European users. I agree that none of the professional reviews (including those from the UK) appear to mention it. This has got me wondering as to whether there is a handshaking problem between the amp and certain TV's. I'm using a 3.5 year old Toshiba LCD, which (in common with all flat panel displays) will quite happily display a range of source resolutions and frame-rates - however I wonder if it's telling the T747 that it only supports 50Hz.

I'd be prepared to upgrade to a newer TV if it solved this issue, as I'd really like to keep the T747 - the sound quality is excellent and it's overall a very solid and quality piece of kit.

A.

Here's a clip from the T 747 North America manual pg. 31:

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTES
• The source component, the T 747 and the TV/Monitor must have the same frame rate settings. If they do not have the same settings, video output maybe distorted.

• Selectable Frame Rate for 120V version models of T 747 is limited only to 60Hz and 24Hz. If your TV/Monitor does not support 1080p, 24Hz will not appear as an option.

• For 230V version models of T 747, 50Hz, 60Hz and 24Hz are the selectable Frame Rate options. If your TV/Monitor does not support 1080p, 24Hz will not appear as an option.

Dana

post #29 of 1655 Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Here's a clip from the T 747 North America manual pg. 11:

Hi Dana, I saw that in my copy of the manual.. but my point is, in Auto mode shouldn't the amp just output whatever frame rate is being fed into it? I can't understand why it would be designed to convert everything to 50Hz. It's not as if plasma TVs sold in the UK will only display PAL material.. they can handle any frame rate and resolution you put into them.

A.
post #30 of 1655 Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorakus View Post

Hi Dana, I saw that in my copy of the manual.. but my point is, in Auto mode shouldn't the amp just output whatever frame rate is being fed into it? I can't understand why it would be designed to convert everything to 50Hz. It's not as if plasma TVs sold in the UK will only display PAL material.. they can handle any frame rate and resolution you put into them.

A.

My clip was found on pg. 31. And right above it is this statement - that you've probably also already read.

Quote:
When the Resolution to Display is set to Auto, Frame Rate as an option will not be available.

Dana

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page