what surround sound mode i should set for my pioneer receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to connect digital audio output of rogers HD box to a pioneer VSX23 receiver, what is best surround sound mode I should set in the pionner receiver for 5.1? (dolby digial or DTS neo etc..), btw, if I want to connect blu-ray to the receiver, what surround sound mode i should set for receiver?
Thanks

magang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This depends on if you have a 5.1 system, or are you set up for 7.1? If you have a 5.1 system Dolby Digital is a good choice to select in your receiver. If you have 7.1 system DTS Neo will matrix a 5.1 source to 7.1. Im pretty sure Neo gives mono rear surrounds. PLIIX movie will give you stereo rear surrounds If you don't have 7.1 just stick with Dolby Digital for cable/satellite material for now. Same with the blu ray player. First try the audio in it's native form first. Then try selecting other formats in your receiver to see what sounds best to you. If you don't have rear surrounds a lot of this doesn't apply to you.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

I only have 5.1 in my system, so I will set to Dolby digital for cable box and DVD.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You'll find a lot of material is not 5.1 encoded - e.g. a lot of cable programming (esp SD), extras on dvd/blu-ray. For these you can play with various modes such as Dolby PLII, DTS Neo 6 etc which will create a 5.1 matrix out of 2ch sources.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Try DPL II. You might be able to set DPL II for stereo, and DD sources will work normally, etc. See your manual, or just play around with it.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 9 Old 11-02-2010, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by magang View Post

I am going to connect digital audio output of rogers HD box to a pioneer VSX23 receiver, what is best surround sound mode I should set in the pionner receiver for 5.1? (dolby digial or DTS neo etc..), btw, if I want to connect blu-ray to the receiver, what surround sound mode i should set for receiver?

Might be useful to make a basic distinction.

While the AVR has capabilities for Dolby Digital and DTS, you do not get to select which one is in effect. That is decided by the signals coming into the AVR--the AVR dutifully decodes them. Those signals are a matter for the source unit to handle. And the source unit (cable/sat box, BD player) is in turn controlled by the nature of the source signals it is offered by the broadcast or disc in question.

For example, the HD cable box will typically offer a choice of DD bitstreams (can be 5.1 or 2.0), or 2-ch PCM. If you want 5.1 programs, set it to DD.

The BD player will output any codec supported on DVD and BD formats, and if connected to an agreeable AVR by HDMI, your AVR will have access to whatever the player can dish out. The disc maker decided which audio options to provide.

After that is settled, the question of surround decoding comes into play--and that decision is yours alone. Do you want stereo programs played in stereo? Then turn off all surround processing (Neo:6, PLII, etc). But if you want to hear surround sound from the stereo sources, use one of those modes.
RPGMasta likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 AM

I use different sound modes depending on what I am watching on TV. I have a 5.1 setup.

For the most part, I leave it set to THX Cinema. However, sometimes I use straight Dolby Digital for 5.1 programs. For stereo programs, I may use DD PLII (with or without THX) or DTS Neo6 (or occasionally Neural THX).

For concerts or shows with a lot of music, I might use the "music" variations of DDPLII or THX.

I don't use the advanced sound modes very often, although I have used the Expanded mode on occasion.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

In the Rogers cable box, the digital audio output has 3 options, Dolby DIgital, HDMI and Other, in this time I am not using HDMI, what is difference between Dolby Digital and Other? if I use Other, can I still get 5.1 surround when the program broadcast 5.1? and what surround mode I sholud set in Pioneer Elite Vsx23 receiver?
post #9 of 9 Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 AM

To get 5.1 sound, you want to select Dolby Digital (or HDMI). Your receiver will show 5 input channels on the front screen (L/R/C/LS/RS plus the SW should light up) and recognize it as Dolby Digital.

What sound mode you wish to apply to that is up to you. If you have a 5.1 speaker setup, then you could just leave it on Dolby Digital.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page