Pioneer AV Receiver Protection Mode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just installed a new in wall speaker system with a Pioneer VSX-520-k and have been thrilled with the sound quality thus far.

The problem I am running into is when I watch blu ray movies such as the recent Star Trek. I set the receiver to auto surround to detect the codec, but what happens is that the receiver will turn itself off (protection mode) when a loud sound effect (explosion or loud clang of metal) happens. quiet scenes at high volume are fine, but the action sequences seem to do something to the receiver to make it give up the ghost.

I have confirmed that one of the speakers is bad, and have disconnected it (but still have the same problem). I am going to try putting the receiver in 5 channel stereo to see if I can replicate the problem, but I am honesty baffled by this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mine would do that if I accidentally shorterd the speaker wires. Maybe you have a short caused by the vibration of a speaker or maybe the sub is shaking something. I don't really know, just guessing here.

Adam

Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Wine?" Descartes says, "I think not," and disappears.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-07-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

let me include some additional information:

all 5 in wall speakers are rated at 8 ohms, 50watt minimal 100W maximum. I am not currently using a subwoofer. my receiver is rated at 550 total watts at 110W per channel.

I would have wanted to use 16 gauge speaker wire, but I already had 18 gauge wire pre run through the walls.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Have you done a calibration on these speakers? If you are running them all full range and are cranking the volume really high you could be asking to much from the receiver. You could also damage the speakers this way. You said you already had a damaged speaker. Damaged speakers can short a receiver and cause it to go into protection mode.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-07-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

well my family accidently threw away the microphone for calibration. I did, however, lower the Db level per channel from 0 Db down to -8 Db, which seemed to fix the problem. I was able to play movies at a very high volume level without any problem. i think the issue is fixed now.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-07-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you don't have the microphone you could do a manual calibration. Your main concern is to not run those in wall speakers full range. You should set a cross over for them. I think it is possible to do this without using a subwoofer. Turning the channel volume down to -8 really isn't fixing the problem.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpchris85 View Post

well my family accidently threw away the microphone for calibration. I did, however, lower the Db level per channel from 0 Db down to -8 Db, which seemed to fix the problem. I was able to play movies at a very high volume level without any problem. i think the issue is fixed now.

Lowering the gain on every channel by 8 dB is the same as lowering the volume by 8 dB. So, you are no longer listening at a very high volume level. You did not fix the problem.

AJ
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page