Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 16555 Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzzo View Post

Gotta agree. Now that I've had my MRX-700 running for over a week I believe the receiver would be a great value even if it didn't have ARC. It's just a terrific implementation for the money in all material respects. And in terms of value, ARC (in concert with PBK; I used MCACC and Audyssey previously) for my room is quite possibly worth the price of the receiver. That you get both must have other manufacturers hoping the word doesn't get out.

Does PBK make a difference if you already have ARC? And is PBK proprietary to Paradigm? Can you use it with non-Paradigm subwoofers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 16555 Old 11-22-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Have you run ARC yet and if so, what are your initial impressions of it vs. Audyssey. I presently use PBK with my Sub 25 and do ARC on top. The results are phenomenal but then this is with my main HT. My MRX 500 is in the family room with a 2.1 setup so not the best way to test the unit or ARC. It does sound much better than with my denon and Audyssey, but that was hardly a surprise.
John

Even though I'm in a new listening space, I wouldn't compare Audyssey with ARC. ARC seems as though it's doing a more thorough job throughout the relevant spectrum and is making the pedestrian speakers I have sound alot better than they have before. There's a very pleasing balance of sound.

With new speakers coming soon that are a significant upgrade, I'm now more optimistic they'll sound good in my space.
post #273 of 16555 Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd I/O View Post

Does PBK make a difference if you already have ARC? And is PBK proprietary to Paradigm? Can you use it with non-Paradigm subwoofers?

PBK is supposed to be particularly beneficial if you're running 2 subs as I do. It is proprietary to Paradigm. Can't answer your last question.
post #274 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd I/O View Post

PBK can only be used with Paradigm. I have used PBK with ARC and for my room. It was a better solution than ARC alone, but by a small amount.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #275 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 AM

when are custom dealers going to get these recievers ?
might have to start looking into something else .
post #276 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had a different AVR for a while with Dolby Volume that split it up into 2 pieces: "modeling" (similar to Dynamic EQ) and "volume leveling" (similar to Dynamic Volume). You could have the modeling enabled without the volume leveling and also could apply a few different degrees of volume leveling if desired.

Looking at the MRX manual, it appears that Dolby Volume is either on or off and there is no way to just use the "modeling" without the "volume leveling". I also don't see a way to adjust the amount of volume leveling? Am I missing something or is this the way it is?
post #277 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

NOW you are talking about a GOOD DEALER

I gotta say, around here in Orange County and San Diego, the pickings are slim. It's like buying a car.
post #278 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor08730 View Post

when are custom dealers going to get these recievers ?
might have to start looking into something else .

some have them now. whats your location/zip
post #279 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

I gotta say, around here in Orange County and San Diego, the pickings are slim. It's like buying a car.

That is not uncommon with high-end gear.

I live in NH and when I was buying my Anthem D2 - I had to
drive 2 hours each way to MAINE for a Demo. Then I ordered
it from the Maine Dealer and he had it shipped to me because
in NH there is no Sales Tax.

It was a worthwhile pain in the butt but I have enjoyed it for
many years now.
post #280 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any possibility Audyssey DSX will be available on MRX 900
post #281 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

I had a different AVR for a while with Dolby Volume that split it up into 2 pieces: "modeling" (similar to Dynamic EQ) and "volume leveling" (similar to Dynamic Volume). You could have the modeling enabled without the volume leveling and also could apply a few different degrees of volume leveling if desired.

Looking at the MRX manual, it appears that Dolby Volume is either on or off and there is no way to just use the "modeling" without the "volume leveling". I also don't see a way to adjust the amount of volume leveling? Am I missing something or is this the way it is?

Go into speaker configuration and then select Level calibration then Dolby Volume Leveler Amount.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #282 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

NOT in ONE MILLION YEARS is my prediction.
post #283 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

NOT in ONE MILLION YEARS is my prediction.

I think that's a VERY SAFE PREDICTION.
post #284 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

I think that's a VERY SAFE PREDICTION.

Thanks Ninja and Happy Anthem Holidays
post #285 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Go into speaker configuration and then select Level calibration then Dolby Volume Leveler Amount.

Thanks - I missed that. But since the Dolby Volume level is set in that menu (instead of the Source Setup) does that mean it applies to all sources? That is, you can't have the volume leveling off for one source and on for another without manually adjusting this setting each time you switch sources?
post #286 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:

That is not uncommon with high-end gear.

I live in NH and when I was buying my Anthem D2 - I had to
drive 2 hours each way to MAINE for a Demo. Then I ordered
it from the Maine Dealer and he had it shipped to me because
in NH there is no Sales Tax.

It was a worthwhile pain in the butt but I have enjoyed it for
many years now.

The guy up here, an authorized dealer mind you, tried to tell me ARC only adresses the subwoofer and my attempts to educate him were a waste. He also had no idea Anthem had brought the MRX-s to market, or even that they were ever conceived. The other auth. dealer had been running a demo but without ARC and he was surprised to know it was included.
post #287 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The guy up here, an authorized dealer mind you, tried to tell me ARC only adresses the subwoofer and my attempts to educate him were a waste. He also had no idea Anthem had brought the MRX-s to market, or even that they were ever conceived. The other auth. dealer had been running a demo but without ARC and he was surprised to know it was included.

A PERFECT example of a clueless dealer.
post #288 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

WOW!!!!! Are you sure they are an authorized dealer? I don't understand how someone, who's an authorized Anthem dealer, would not know something like that. Wellllllll, maybe I shouldn't be.
post #289 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A PERFECT example of a clueless dealer.

Best example that the best info comes from the "Knowers" on this thread
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #290 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

WOW!!!!! Are you sure they are an authorized dealer? I don't understand how someone, who's an authorized Anthem dealer, would not know something like that. Wellllllll, maybe I shouldn't be.

They had their pet products that were pricier and they tried to move me to them. One of the dealers tried to sell the Arcam as superior. I took a listen and then noticed when going through the menus, he didn't have room correction working on that either. Since it was more than twice the price of the MRX-700, not knowing what either really sounded like because they weren't configured, I'd bet against his "knowledge" and go with the Anthem. Something tells me I made the right decision.

Heads up to Anthem, the market in OC/SD is large and would seem to be a perfect target. Maybe they need to send someone to places like this to hand hold. There's an awful lot of great techology in their products that isn't being explained or even understood and perhaps some education would help them in many ways.
post #291 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They had their pet products that were pricier and they tried to move me to them. One of the dealers tried to sell the Arcam as superior. I took a listen and then noticed when going through the menus, he didn't have room correction working on that either. Since it was more than twice the price of the MRX-700, not knowing what either really sounded like because they weren't configured, I'd bet against his "knowledge" and go with the Anthem. Something tells me I made the right decision.

Heads up to Anthem, the market in OC/SD is large and would seem to be a perfect target. Maybe they need to send someone to places like this to hand hold. There's an awful lot of great techology in their products that isn't being explained or even understood and perhaps some education would help them in many ways.

I need a vacation perhaps I should go
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #292 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfugh View Post

John

Actually I have no major "concerns", but I'd love to see one in a users setting, user setup, user photos, user GUI photos, user impressions based on previous ownership, etc... Anthem's dealership network is limited, Anthem's ownership is also limited, yet I continually see folks saying it's an Anthem trust us - buy it and you'll see, well...I don't trust that statement.

The AVM50V and D2V have issues, not insurmountable but issues nonetheless; I'd like to hear if anyone has issues with the MRX series of receivers. All I hear is trust me it's awesome, it's an Anthem.

Will the MRX series make a great pre/pro; I think it will, but from what I can gather from this thread there are issues:

1. Can't pass through HDMI to a display in standby? Big issue for WAF factor.
2. No multi-channel in w/some level of pass through; you have to use HDMI and use ARC. Yes I want to use ARC, but I want to see for myself - not just trust that "it is better why do you want that"?
3. No ability for any level of amp assign or off for a "pure" processor mode?
4. Only 1 HDMI out for a display? Not good if you have a display and a projector.
5. Only 4 HDMI in's? No issue for me, but it is for a lot of folks.
6. What are the DACs? Not a huge issue, implementation is the bigger factor, but what are they in the MRX series of receivers?
7. How does the video processing work? Can it be bypassed? What are they using in comparison to the upper level processors?

My other Questions:

1. Is ARC assignable to 24/192 HDMI inputs? Can a 24/192 BD music/movie disc have ARC applied?
2. Has anyone tested the above?
3. How does ARC work with 2 sub woofers? No I'm not going to the AVM/D2V thread, the MRX series is not the processor series based on what you have said. Similar yes, but not the same.
4. Is any one using the MRX series as a processor and what do you think?
5. What is Anthem's policy on trade-in's? I might go from an MRX-700 to a 900 when released.

I'm not trying to be a pain, these are questions I have. I have a dealer 2 hours away, but based on the current economic situations he will not have an Anthem receiver for demo but only for special order. Actually, he's trying to sell me the Yamaha A3000 vice the Anthem due to the fact he can give me a demo of it (1v pre out compared to the Anthems 4.3v max). Kind of amazing considering they are about the same price; I have a feeling Yamaha is giving dealers a lot of leeway on the Aventage series due to their recent custom install software. Who knows?

Sorry for the negativity, but that's it.

Mark

BTW I will use the MRX as a multichannel music/movie processor in HT bypass with a 2-channel preamp.

1. ARC applies to all incoming signals regardless of bitrate or freq.
2.I have run the 2L Sondheim, I think that is the spelling, which is 192/24 and it sounded fantastic,not sure if it was playing at the native freq. and bit rate
3.There is no reason to expect ARC to not tame 2 subs even in the MRXs. They are treated as one, just as is done with the pre/pros. This solution has worked very well for those who have tried it. This can be read in the Anthem forum. And BTW, a lot can be learned from that thread with regard to ARC regardless of your unit. ARC works the same way, just fewer filters. I have not tested this but email Anthem tech and ask them. They probably know someone who beta tested this scenario. As I have mentioned, the sub correction in the MRXs is as good as in the AVM 50v and D2v. I processed my D2v files for my MRX 500 and it was indistinguishable from the original D2v file I used.
4. Can't answer this but people at CES were very excited about doing just that with the 300. At $999 and with ARC they saw the value of it for that purpose.
5. Anthem has done upgrades to the pre/pros but not sure what the policy will be with these units.
Hope this helps.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #293 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the same time BMW and Mercedes merge
post #294 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Same liklihood as a Mexican team winning the Stanley Cup this year.
post #295 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same likelihood as a Mexican team winning the Stanley Cup this year.

Same likelihood as the Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #296 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

John
Thanks for your input.
Mark
post #297 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfugh View Post

7. How does the video processing work? Can it be bypassed? What are they using in comparison to the upper level processors?

Can't bypass video processing. The processor is Genesis Torino ("new" version, but nobody has said exactly what the new version is).

ETA: There is a video resolution Through mode, where "the receiver's output resolution is the same as the source's resolution." That may be what you are looking for.
post #298 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Liked: 12
I am an Anthem/Paradigm dealer in NE tenessee and I am shocked at some of these reports concerning poor dealer practice. We recently recieved the MRX 700 and 500 and within hours the 700 was up and playing with ARC! If a dealer does not understand and/or appreciate the performance of Anthem, run, don't walk to another dealer. These aforementioned dealers should be shot. We handle virtually all Anthem and generally have in addition to the MRX, a D2v and A-5 on demo. If we don't have a particular unit on demo, with a little advance notice, we would. Additionally, almost any client would be allowed to audition an item in home. Boy, I wish all you dissatisfied guys lived near me. I ask any interested person to give me at least 2 HOURS to discuss these products. Any less time, Ican't fully explain MOST of what they need to know.
TJG
post #299 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG55 View Post

I am an Anthem/Paradigm dealer in NE tenessee and I am shocked at some of these reports concerning poor dealer practice. We recently recieved the MRX 700 and 500 and within hours the 700 was up and playing with ARC! If a dealer does not understand and/or appreciate the performance of Anthem, run, don't walk to another dealer. These aforementioned dealers should be shot. We handle virtually all Anthem and generally have in addition to the MRX, a D2v and A-5 on demo. If we don't have a particular unit on demo, with a little advance notice, we would. Additionally, almost any client would be allowed to audition an item in home. Boy, I wish all you dissatisfied guys lived near me. I ask any interested person to give me at least 2 HOURS to discuss these products. Any less time, Ican't fully explain MOST of what they need to know.
TJG

Yes in every barrel there are GOOD Dealers and NOT so good dealers.

Three Cheers for the GOOD ONES
post #300 of 16555 Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG55 View Post

TJG

Well that's refreshing. Maybe you should open an Orange County, CA store. The market here is enormous and you'd be the only good storefront dealer in the area.

I could maybe receive new models of Anthem products for you and make sure they're working ok -- maybe show them to my friends -- break them in for a while. We'd want to make sure they sounded good in my LR.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page