Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 16595 Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lol! the sensitivity is 92/89db it says suitable power is 15-180 i think i fall into that category i do know more power always seems to sound better! the only reason i ask this is really when listening to movies sometimes the center channel seems to sound a little scratchy and only sometimes when someone yells mainly but not all the time. I dont remember hearing that before but who knows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 16595 Old 03-27-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboby
lol! the sensitivity is 92/89db it says suitable power is 15-180 i think i fall into that category i do know more power always seems to sound better! the only reason i ask this is really when listening to movies sometimes the center channel seems to sound a little scratchy and only sometimes when someone yells mainly but not all the time. I dont remember hearing that before but who knows!
I'm not sure what that "scratchy" sound is, but it's not necessarily a power issue. Your receiver should not have trouble driving those speakers at reasonable SPL levels. I used my 500 with studio 60s and a CC690 with Axioms side and back and there was plenty to spare. The room is 14' x 18' x 8.5'. We played a lot of movies and music and not a hiccup. So for your setup figure out how it compares to mine.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #3093 of 16595 Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Hi everyone. I am a new member. I have been following this thread for a while now. Thank you everyone for your knowledge and opinions. I have learned alot.
I just picked up paradigm monitor 9 v.6s speakers. The sensitivity is 96dB. I am looking to reach 100dB to 115dB @ certain times. I am 9' from speakers. Room is 11'x18' then opens another 11'. I am not sure if you loose 6dB every 3' or if the dB's doubles every 3' away from speaker.
I am looking @ the MRX 300. "I think u only gain around 3dB going from MRX 300 to MRX 700".
According to the formula @ 3' away I only need to have 64 Watts for 114 dB and 128 Watts for 117 dB. How many Watts will I truly need @ 9' away to get my 100-115dBs? Any thoughts? Thanks.
post #3094 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 AM

Hi rickyboby,

may I ask what Rotel you had before?
post #3095 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 AM

Hey guys.

I have a MRX-500 and just wanted to see if anyone is having any issues such as me.

I have a JVC HD950 and a blacked out room, and when I am watching the slew of warnings and previews on Blu-ray content I get several blinding flashes between content changes. I assuming there is some handshake activity that is causing this, but never experienced this with my Pioneer Elite receivers. Not a huge deal, but gets annoying after about the 6th or 7th time it happens before the movie officially starts.

Also having audio output losses on closure of content on my HTPC. I have a ATI 5870 connected via HDMI for HD Bitstream. I have to reboot computer and the MRX and sometimes have to unplug the MRX to acquire sound again.

Thanks!

post #3096 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfein View Post

Hi everyone. I am a new member. I have been following this thread for a while now. Thank you everyone for your knowledge and opinions. I have learned alot.
I just picked up paradigm monitor 9 v.6s speakers. The sensitivity is 96dB. I am looking to reach 100dB to 115dB @ certain times. I am 9' from speakers. Room is 11'x18' then opens another 11'. I am not sure if you loose 6dB every 3' or if the dB's doubles every 3' away from speaker.
I am looking @ the MRX 300. "I think u only gain around 3dB going from MRX 300 to MRX 700".
According to the formula @ 3' away I only need to have 64 Watts for 114 dB and 128 Watts for 117 dB. How many Watts will I truly need @ 9' away to get my 100-115dBs? Any thoughts? Thanks.

100db, you will need 45 watts.
115db, you will need 1426 watts.

Remember, for every 3db gain, you will have to double the power.
post #3097 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzzo View Post

Perhaps you're still having an issue with your COM port or PC power saver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

I know you have tried a lot of things, but maybe one of these will help...

1) I find that the USB cable tends to be loose or wiggle loose from where it connects to the Keyspan adapter. Make sure it is well connected before EACH run. (just moving your laptop a little will cause the cable to come loose).

2) Make sure your laptop is plugged into power and that your power settings are set to not sleep or shut down when plugged in.

3) If you think there is any chance your power settings might be kicking in, press the shift key on your keyboard every 20-30 seconds until the upload is complete.

4) Make sure the keyspan is set to the same speed as the MRX.

5) Try setting the MRX and the Keyspan to the next speed down for communication.

6) If you are not sure that you have a totally free COM port and you are using a laptop, you probably have a built in Modem. As almost no one uses the Modem anymore and it is probably using a COM port in the 1-6 range, you can disable the modem (freeing that COM port) and then have the keyspan use that port. The port will typically not be shared as it was configured for the modem and will help make sure that you don't have any other conflicting software/devices trying to use the COM port.

Hope perhaps one of these will help you!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I was thinking maybe there was something else messing with my COM2 port, but don't really know where to check for what else might trying to access it. I'm running on a desktop, but I have checked all these suggestions that apply. My power saver settings are all set to "never". I checked the modem, which of course I don't use, and it said it was set on COM3, but I went ahead and removed it anyway. I have also been using the fastest baud rate setting in the MRX (115200). I thought about switching to the slower one, but ran out of time to mess around with it. Anyways, when I get some more time to play around I will switch to the slower baud rate and maybe even switch com ports to see if that may help.
Thanks again fellas! \\m/

-G
post #3098 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyrocks View Post

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I was thinking maybe there was something else messing with my COM2 port, but don't really know where to check for what else might trying to access it. I'm running on a desktop, but I have checked all these suggestions that apply. My power saver settings are all set to "never". I checked the modem, which of course I don't use, and it said it was set on COM3, but I went ahead and removed it anyway. I have also been using the fastest baud rate setting in the MRX (115200). I thought about switching to the slower one, but ran out of time to mess around with it. Anyways, when I get some more time to play around I will switch to the slower baud rate and maybe even switch com ports to see if that may help.

-G

Also turn off your wifi if you have it on. I have found this to increase the reliability, not perfect every time but better.
post #3099 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyrocks View Post

-G

If yoru modem was configured from the factory to use COM 3, there is a good chance nothing else is using COM 3. Assuming you disabled the modem in your device manager, COM 3 should now be available to the Keyspan, I would try switching to COM 3 and see if that helps! Good luck.

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technical Information including using ARC:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3100 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboby View Post

finally someone is experiencing the same thing i am with the center channel. i kept on thinking maybe an issue with my unit but im curious what the real issue is. basically, on some movies it kind of sounds like the actor is talking into the microphone too closely and you get a blarring type noise. its not all movies, but its there. kind of like a compression/distortion from the center channel. im in the process of tryng a different amp to see if it cures this issue for me as its extremely annoying. all my other avr's in my setup never did this so not sure why and what is really causing it.

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

Home Automation Construction Thread

post #3101 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Liked: 11
I have just read the review of MRX 700 in Sound + Vision magazine that people already mentioned earlier. Two things cought my attention:

1) Test bench results for power. This time, test bench is actually better than specified (137W stereo, 93W to 5 channels, 73 or something to 7 channels). They also mentioned that MRX 700 almost doubled the power in stereo mode when loaded by 4 ohm, a rare feat for receivers.

2) A curious result for digital frequency sweep in stereo, 96kHz/24bit PCM. It was ruller flat up to 5kHz, then started to drop at about 2dB per octave, to end around -6dB at 30kHz where there was a steep cutoff.

For those familiar with the MRX 700 design, is the measurement in (2) an anomaly or 'working as designed'?
post #3102 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

finally someone is experiencing the same thing i am with the center channel. i kept on thinking maybe an issue with my unit but im curious what the real issue is. basically, on some movies it kind of sounds like the actor is talking into the microphone too closely and you get a blarring type noise. its not all movies, but its there. kind of like a compression/distortion from the center channel. im in the process of tryng a different amp to see if it cures this issue for me as its extremely annoying. all my other avr's in my setup never did this so not sure why and what is really causing it.

Could it be that you now hear better what is recorded? I have a D1/P5/W5 setup and have noticed on some content, usually tv, that sometimes I hear studio effects that if I really listen for on other setups in the house are there but would not be noticed.
post #3103 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_bit_bucket View Post

Could it be that you now hear better what is recorded? I have a D1/P5/W5 setup and have noticed on some content, usually tv, that sometimes I hear studio effects that if I really listen for on other setups in the house are there but would not be noticed.

thats definitely possible. it could be that the mrx is so revealing that the source is to blame. that is what i have reasoned thus far especially since my klipsch kl-650 ultra 2 speakers are very revealing themselves. but rickyboby has paradigms which, to me (no insults to anyone), find that they are not as revealing as the klipsch so that is why i thought that maybe it could be the processing the mrx is doing to the center channel.

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

Home Automation Construction Thread

post #3104 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thats definitely possible. it could be that the mrx is so revealing that the source is to blame. that is what i have reasoned thus far especially since my klipsch kl-650 ultra 2 speakers are very revealing themselves. but rickyboby has paradigms which, to me (no insults to anyone), find that they are not as revealing as the klipsch so that is why i thought that maybe it could be the processing the mrx is doing to the center channel.

Hard to say. I have some CD's from my youth that are horribly mastered and I never realized it until I could afford better gear. When I first got the W5 speakers the first TV show I watched the dialog in the opening of the show sounded really bad. It was on the DVR and I kept backing up, was very disappointed in the speakers, thought they had a bad affect for the particular actors voice. Scene change and everything was fine. Something was bad in the mix.
post #3105 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

100db, you will need 45 watts.
115db, you will need 1426 watts.

Remember, for every 3db gain, you will have to double the power.

Thank you for the response. So with the MRX 300 I will get 101-102dB with my distance from speaks.
I might go to sep amp later.
Speakers are only rated for 200watts, but I think u can go over spec 50% safely.
post #3106 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
the power results of that review surprised me a bit ? anyone know any tech details of any of these amps for comparison with its peers ?

kVA rating of the internal transformer
uF of the secondary capacitance
DACs ? multiple stereo DACs or single "CODEC" multi-channel DAC ?

I'm looking to replace my 59TXi (well AX10Ai here in the UK) - which I think tested at something like 125W / 7 channels driven - the MRX700 is quite expensive over here £2100 which is about $3,300 - considerably more than say a Pioneer 37.
post #3107 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

the power results of that review surprised me a bit ? anyone know any tech details of any of these amps for comparison with its peers ?

kVA rating of the internal transformer
uF of the secondary capacitance
DACs ? multiple stereo DACs or single "CODEC" multi-channel DAC ?

I'm looking to replace my 59TXi (well AX10Ai here in the UK) - which I think tested at something like 125W / 7 channels driven - the MRX700 is quite expensive over here £2100 which is about $3,300 - considerably more than say a Pioneer 37.

I don't understand why? The power results are in line (and slightly better) then those specified by Anthem.
post #3108 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM

hey everyone great thread. I've read most of it but haven't seen many mentions of the audio return channel. i got a new TV (sony hx909) last week and was trying to get some of the streaming content to play over the receiver. i have everything hooked up through hdmi and the receiver is updated to the newest firmware, yet i don't get the sounds of the TV over the receiver i just keep getting the sound from the cable box. is there something special that needs to be set up in order for the audio return channel to work right or is this a feature that isn't quite fully supported yet?
post #3109 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi1508 View Post

hey everyone great thread. I've read most of it but haven't seen many mentions of the audio return channel. i got a new TV (sony hx909) last week and was trying to get some of the streaming content to play over the receiver. i have everything hooked up through hdmi and the receiver is updated to the newest firmware, yet i don't get the sounds of the TV over the receiver i just keep getting the sound from the cable box. is there something special that needs to be set up in order for the audio return channel to work right or is this a feature that isn't quite fully supported yet?

I can't be sure but I think it will be supported in a very near firmware update.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #3110 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Hi Hanser!
I had the rsx 1055 receiver it was pretty good just out dated but l have always loved the sound from Rotel! I have had many different Rotel amps and pre as well, mostly older stuff. Also I have had a few Parasound amps and adcom pieces but i must say i am a anthem fan now!!
post #3111 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

If yoru modem was configured from the factory to use COM 3, there is a good chance nothing else is using COM 3. Assuming you disabled the modem in your device manager, COM 3 should now be available to the Keyspan, I would try switching to COM 3 and see if that helps! Good luck.

Thanks Tig. That will be the first thing I try.

-G
post #3112 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Hey Anthony,
Let me know if that separate amp works i was thinking of trying the same thing! you described exactly what it sounds like, it is annoying!!! Not happy with it thats for sure! I was thinking of taking it back and getting the 500 because i love the anthem sound. I did notice something last night. I watched a regular dvd and it was there then i watched a blueray and didn't notice it. I want to get this worked out and have to decide pretty quick! please let me know what you come up with.
Thanks, Rick
post #3113 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a similar issue with my D2v in the centre channel. Eventually it disappeared after the cutoff for my sub was changed by a newer ARC measurement. The effect sounded like the person talking had the microphone too close to their mouth. The beginning of War of The Worlds, where Morgan Freeman is doing the introduction, is where I first noticed it. My centre is a Paradigm CC690.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #3114 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM

I updated the multimedia firmware (now v1.01) on my MRX500 and now it seems that the songs in an album, on my USB stick, are listed alphabetically instead of by track number. This ruins the flow of the album.

Can someone with an un-updated MRX500/700 check and see if that is the case with v1.00 of the firmware?

thanks!
post #3115 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Hey Anthony,
Let me know if that separate amp works i was thinking of trying the same thing! you described exactly what it sounds like, it is annoying!!! Not happy with it thats for sure! I was thinking of taking it back and getting the 500 because i love the anthem sound. I did notice something last night. I watched a regular dvd and it was there then i watched a blueray and didn't notice it. I want to get this worked out and have to decide pretty quick! please let me know what you come up with.
Thanks, Rick

What movies are you hearing the sound? Maybe others are experiencing the same thing.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #3116 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Would it be possible for Anthem to allow for the internal amp of the MRX to be turned of or bypassed via firmware? It seems silly to be drawing power that isn't being used.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #3117 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

What movies are you hearing the sound? Maybe others are experiencing the same thing.

I noticed it on Polar express and last night on the movie Conviction. Ive got to do something because i dont like that! I dont hear it on tv or in music I didnt hear it on Saving Private Ryan. So i dont know Thats why i was wondering if the 500 would be better? I dont want to have to spend another 500$ if i dont have to but cant have this either as we watch a lot of movies.
post #3118 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I noticed it on Polar express and last night on the movie Conviction. Ive got to do something because i dont like that! I dont hear it on tv or in music I didnt hear it on Saving Private Ryan. So i dont know

Polar Express bluray or DVD? Stupid question, bur can you repeat the sound problem... At what point in the movie did you here it?

~ Swearengen
post #3119 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_ears View Post

I updated the multimedia firmware (now v1.01) on my MRX500 and now it seems that the songs in an album, on my USB stick, are listed alphabetically instead of by track number. This ruins the flow of the album.

Can someone with an un-updated MRX500/700 check and see if that is the case with v1.00 of the firmware?

thanks!

It's the same either with v1.00 or v1.01. But, if you use "Folder View" the songs are listed in correct order.
post #3120 of 16595 Old 03-28-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

Polar Express bluray or DVD? Stupid question, bur can you repeat the sound problem... At what point in the movie did you here it?

I dont think its a stupid question. It was a dvd and i noticed it when the train was going out of control and then at the end when the elves yell more altitude.
i heard it a lot during the movie conviction last night, again a dvd. I will try again tonight and see what happens in Polar Express
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page