Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 118 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 16526 Old 04-10-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzycanuck View Post

I raised my centre channel up about 6 inches and here are my results since repairing my binding post

Looks like ARC was correct in detecting a problem with your LF. How is you center mounted? Is it set back on a stand? It still has a null. Also I would try messing around with your subs placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 16526 Old 04-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Moving it closer to the wall? It is about 2 feet from wall now
post #3513 of 16526 Old 04-10-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Moving it closer to the wall? It is about 2 feet from wall now

I would take some time to listen to what you have. Your sub looks better but I would be surprised if moving it improves anything. You might have a sub that can't produce high dB at the lowest frequencies, although I think it should sound quite good. The centre looks better as well. Listen for a while and let us know what you think.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #3514 of 16526 Old 04-10-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I raised my centre channel up about 6 inches and here are my results since repairing my binding post

Yep, that did the trick. Now, your left front looks much better. Have a listen to what you have now and see how it sounds to you. I'm now sure your sub is capable of playing any lower. So, you can live with what you have, or you can look to replace your sub in the future. Your fronts have a dip between 100 Hz and 300 Hz that you might want to play around with if you feel like tweaking some more; but, for now, I would say listen to what you have now and then decide.
post #3515 of 16526 Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

I would take some time to listen to what you have. Your sub looks better but I would be surprised if moving it improves anything. You might have a sub that can't produce high dB at the lowest frequencies, although I think it should sound quite good. The centre looks better as well. Listen for a while and let us know what you think.
John

John, you may be correct about the sub. I can't seem to find any specs on it so I'm not sure As far as the center, both runs look close but don't you think the null is an issue? Between the two, I think the first run was better for the center.
post #3516 of 16526 Old 04-10-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

John, you may be correct about the sub. I can't seem to find any specs on it so I'm not sure As far as the center, both runs look close but don't you think the null is an issue? Between the two, I think the first run was better for the center.

ARC has done a reasonable job of correcting the null and we're now at the point if diminishing returns. Listening is needed at this point. Sometimes we get somewhat obsessive about the charts but they are there to help while listening is the final arbiter.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #3517 of 16526 Old 04-10-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

ARC has done a reasonable job of correcting the null and we're now at the point if diminishing returns. Listening is needed at this point. Sometimes we get somewhat obsessive about the charts but they are there to help while listening is the final arbiter.
John

Point taking
post #3518 of 16526 Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I have been noticing lately that while watching a film... the audio (voices) doesn't sound as though they are coming from the TV.

What I mean to say is that the actors voices don't sound like they are coming from the right height or position.... Does that make sense?

My center channel is just below my display. But it has always been there. I haven't really noticed this until I ran ARC...

Could it be that I had my microphone height set to high when I ran ARC? Would the ear level of sitting up right vs slouching make that much of a difference?

Maybe I am losing it...

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #3519 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 AM

Gentlemen,

I will be setting up my dads new system and have a few questions.

I have a question for the general thread about MRX receiver issues. I have read there is a 1080/24p bug, there are popping noises between trailers, and some people have muffled centers. Have I missed any other general problems that I might encounter? Also, the 1080/24p bug is my biggest concern, any timeline for a fix? He will have an Oppo 93.

Found a NIB Kuro and bought it. I'd like to say thanks to Litlgi74 and BCJ for your time and effort. You guys were so thorough it was a little scary.

I am setting up the entire system at the start of May when I'm done finals.
post #3520 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 AM

Thank-you Eric-T, jayray and ninja 12 for your comments and suggestions.

Here is a link to my front speakers http://www.kef.com/gb/about/museum

my centre speaker http://www.kef.com/gb/about/museum

Sad that it is listed in the museum of their site..lol

I could not find any specs on my sub either. I will have to look up my own literature that came with it if anyone is interested. Perhaps it is time for an upgrade in speakers. Don't anyone tell my wife..lol

Any subwoofer suggestions?
post #3521 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhose 15 View Post

Gentlemen,

I will be setting up my dads new system and have a few questions.

I have a question for the general thread about MRX receiver issues. I have read there is a 1080/24p bug, there are popping noises between trailers, and some people have muffled centers. Have I missed any other general problems that I might encounter? Also, the 1080/24p bug is my biggest concern, any timeline for a fix? He will have an Oppo 93.

Found a NIB Kuro and bought it. I'd like to say thanks to Litlgi74 and BCJ for your time and effort. You guys were so thorough it was a little scary.

I am setting up the entire system at the start of May when I'm done finals.

Congrats on the NIB Kuro (that's how I found my last summer)

As far as the general issues with the MRX receivers, the 1080p24 and popping noises are the two main ones. The muffled center speaker, however, is not a receiver-wide issue (it appears it only happens after running ARC for a few people and is most likely caused by room variables or Mic placement.....things that can be fixed).

There is no timeline for either fix (1080p24 and popping noise), but Anthem has been aware of these problems for quite a while, so it is anticipated that the next firmware release will address these issues.
The popping issues isn't too bad and is very very quick/brief when it happens (it only happens when audio format changes during a program, lets say a Dolby Digital TV show switches to a PLII TV show, or previews during a movie that are PLII and then the Dolby Digital track of the actual movie kicks-in, etc).
The 1080p24 playback issue, however, is very annoying and is the biggest complaint. But, as stated, Anthem is completely aware of this receiver-wide issue and the next firmware should contain a fix.
post #3522 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Gardenhose...

Where did you find your Kuro... My dad has been looking for one for a while. I picked up my KRP-500m on ebay NIB for around $1300... but haven't been able to find one since.

Glad you found my observations helpful... but I can't even begin to explain how frustrating the process was.

Hopefully Anthem gets things worked out soon...

PS... If your Kuro is capable... make sure you calibrate it with the ISF day and night settings...

John

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #3523 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

Congrats on the NIB Kuro (that's how I found my last summer)

As far as the general issues with the MRX receivers, the 1080p24 and popping noises are the two main ones. The muffled center speaker, however, is not a receiver-wide issue (it appears it only happens after running ARC for a few people and is most likely caused by room variables or Mic placement.....things that can be fixed).

There is no timeline for either fix (1080p24 and popping noise), but Anthem has been aware of these problems for quite a while, so it is anticipated that the next firmware release will address these issues.
The popping issues isn't too bad and is very very quick/brief when it happens (it only happens when audio format changes during a program, lets say a Dolby Digital TV show switches to a PLII TV show, or previews during a movie that are PLII and then the Dolby Digital track of the actual movie kicks-in, etc).
The 1080p24 playback issue, however, is very annoying and is the biggest complaint. But, as stated, Anthem is completely aware of this receiver-wide issue and the next firmware should contain a fix.

BCJ,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully those will be fixed by the time everything is set up and I'll do my best when I run arc.

Does the 1080p 24 issue only present itself as a lip sync issue? Or is the MRX processing/affecting the signal as well? Would running 2 hdmi out of the Oppo (one to tv, one to receiver) fix this issue?
post #3524 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

Hey Gardenhose...

Where did you find your Kuro... My dad has been looking for one for a while. I picked up my KRP-500m on ebay NIB for around $1300... but haven't been able to find one since.

Glad you found my observations helpful... but I can't even begin to explain how frustrating the process was.

Hopefully Anthem gets things worked out soon...

PS... If your Kuro is capable... make sure you calibrate it with the ISF day and night settings...

John

I found it in a small store in Brandon, Manitoba, I'm from Saskatchewan. I called 10 or so stores around western Canada and they were the only ones with the 60 inch. I believe a place in Edmonton (this was about 5 months ago) had a couple 50 inch elites left. Probably gone by now but who knows. I don't know which store but I found them on pioneer's website.

And to keep this somewhat on topic, stupid question, but running hdmi 1.4 cables into the Pioneer should be fine, right? Backwards compatible to 1.3?

edit: that still wasn't on topic, sorry
post #3525 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

I found it in a small store in Brandon, Manitoba, I'm from Saskatchewan. I called 10 or so stores around western Canada and they were the only ones with the 60 inch. I believe a place in Edmonton (this was about 5 months ago) had a couple 50 inch elites left. Probably gone by now but who knows. I don't know which store but I found them on pioneer's website.

And to keep this somewhat on topic, stupid question, but running hdmi 1.4 cables into the Pioneer should be fine, right? Backwards compatible to 1.3?

edit: that still wasn't on topic, sorry

Technically speaking, yes.....higher HDMI works with lower, but lower does not work with higher.

As far as running two HDMI outputs to correct the 1080p24 issue, I would *think* (don't take my word on it) that would correct the problem, as the MRX would only be handling the audio while the TV is handling the 1080p24 playback.
post #3526 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As far as running two HDMI outputs to correct the 1080p24 issue, I would *think* (don't take my word on it) that would correct the problem, as the MRX would only be handling the audio while the TV is handling the 1080p24 playback.

I am doing something similar to this:

My Media player does not have two HDMI outs... but fortunately, for now I am able to rig the Anthem into working by using a 1x2 HDMI splitter... sending video from my Dune to my display and HD audio to my MRX...

But I also want to mention... you may not experience the stuttering, screen blackouts and or the lip sync issues of 1080p24 I am experiencing... There are many on this forum that are not having any issues.

Nevertheless... I currently need to rig my MRX to sync the audio and video..

Hopefully by the time you have your gear all set up... there will be a firmware fix available.

~ Swearengen
post #3527 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Cool, thanks guys! I think I will run two then. Is it possible that a lip sync issue could occur this way? That by processing the audio component the video runs ahead of the soundtrack? If so, is there a way to correct the timing?

That is hypothetical of course, I do not have experience with lip sync issues.
post #3528 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cool, thanks guys! I think I will run two then. Is it possible that a lip sync issue could occur this way? That by processing the audio component the video runs ahead of the soundtrack? If so, is there a way to correct the timing?

That is hypothetical of course, I do not have experience with lip sync issues.

I suppose anything is possible. As far as correcting the "possible." The MRX only offers the feature of audio delay... up to 150ms. But as of right now, if the film is 1080p24 (the only res I have issues with)... the MRX's lip sync feature does absolutely nothing to correct the problem of any needed audio delay.

But if the video runs ahead of the audio... I don't think the MRX has a feature of delaying video... That may be up to the features of the BD player.

You will find out soon enough what workarounds you may have to make until Anthem corrects the 1080p24 bug with a new firmware release.

Like I said... all other resolutions and frame rates seem to work fine using the "Through" feature of the MRX.

Time will tell.

PS... Is there a pre/pro out there that only manages the audio side of HDMI? I am sure I am not the only that could care less about video processing.

Thanks

~ Swearengen
post #3529 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Dos anyone have any experience with the MRX line and the Jamo D600 THX Ultra 2 or the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 speaker system?

I am about to get an MRX500 and new speakers. I actually ordered the MRX before the weekend but put it on hold since I needed more brain time. I have "decided" to go for a THX speaker system, since I will only use this setup for cinema. I have an dedicated stereo system in my living room. At the dealer I heard the MRX500 with the Jamo D600 THX Ultra 2 speaker system and I really liked what I heard. My home cinema room isn't the biggest, 10' 4" wide and 15' 9" long, so my concern with the Jamo series is that the LCR speaker is a bit wide (2' 1") leaving only 1' 4" between the three front speakers and only 8" to the side walls. If I go for the Klipsch system with the smaller KL-525-THX as LCR the distances increases. See attached pictures. From an WAF and esthetic point of view the Jamo is the way to go.

Dos anyone have any thoughts or experience on the above? Dos it really matter if the front speakers is close to each other?

Klipsch THX Ultra 2 Home Theater System
Jamo D600 Home Cinema System

Thanks

Eirik
LL
LL
post #3530 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

i have the klipsch ultra 2 setup and find its great for the money. if i were to do it all over again though, i would opt for seaton or jtr speakers. just so you know, i am one of the users who is experiencing the center channel "blaring" sound through my kl-650 speakers. its not the speaker as i have swapped all three fronts. hopefully this will be addressed by anthem. im not the only one who has this distortion from their center channel.

post #3531 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post
i have the klipsch ultra 2 setup and find its great for the money. if i were to do it all over again though, i would opt for seaton or jtr speakers. just so you know, i am one of the users who is experiencing the center channel "blaring" sound through my kl-650 speakers. its not the speaker as i have swapped all three fronts. hopefully this will be addressed by anthem. im not the only one who has this distortion from their center channel.
Yes, I two have the center channel problem, It is almost like a strained sound. Someone described it once as it sounded like someone talking into a bad mic! I did do a lot of messing around with arc and moving speakers and mic adjustment. It did help a little but still not fixed all the way! It only comes through on some movies and tv broadcast. I talked to the guy i deal with at my dealer today very knowledgeable and he assures me that Anthem will fix these kind of issues some of us seem to be experiencing!! He is not there to just sell something although it is his job, he is also a enthusiast just like we are So i do believe a fix is coming!!! He said he has seen Anthem do some crazy stuff before to fix problems and keep customers happy
post #3532 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Another user on MPCClub suggested I use a HDMI Repeater to re-clock the signal from the Dune before it gets to the MRX... but since 1080p24 will still not be passed through the MRX using the repeater... even if the extender corrects the lip sync issue, I will still get that beautifully big, bright red OSD when I adjust the volume.

You know there is an option to turn the OSD off all the time, and then it will not show up even on the 1080p24 fix or no fix.

It would be interesting to know if the re-clocking corrected the issue.

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #3533 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

Glad to hear things are starting to get worked out.
As I posted a few days ago, I took my Anthem MRX-300 back into my dealer, but they unfortunately didn't have any new ones in stock, so they loaned me an Integra DTR-40.2 for the time being (dang good receiver too).

Can't wait to hear about the new receiver when you get it!

post #3534 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gardenhose, if it helps, I have the MRX700 and an Oppo93 and have not noticed any issues in 1080p24 (yes, I have the same processing bug as everyone else and the OSD volume shows) but I'm not noticing any lip sync or dropout issues.

HDMI is an end to end system, not hop to hop, so sometimes it takes multiple combinations of just the right equipment to find an issue... in the case of the lipsync and black out issues it may require the right combination with a paritcular TV etc.

You may not see any problems as most of us on here have not seen an issue.

Is there a problem that should be fixed... yes, probably atleast two, infact... one for "true through" of 24p and the other for the few combinations that are experiencing additional issues. Is the worse of the two problems one you are likely to see... so far only two have seen it so the odds of not seeing it are overwhelmingly in your favor.

post #3535 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtye View Post

Here are the graphs,

Targets first, then ARC in movie mode, then ARC in 2 channel music mode
Speakers are
B&W XT4
B&W XTC
B&W XT2

So, I've been working some long hours lately and fighting off a bad cold... so I hope someone else gave you some more ideas. I'm still new to deep troubleshooting of some of these problems but based on what I see, your fronts look pretty much the same for both your Movie and Music profiles. It is very odd that the low end drops off the way it does, but since you say you are hearing great base with the movie profile, I would be interested to know what you here if you try the following tests:

(Let stick with a common known source, your Blu-ray player with a traditional CD, not an MP3 or other digital file).

What do you hear when you - Use your BDP Source set to the Movie Profile and your 2.0 profile source as:

1) AnthemLogic-Cinema
2) AnthemLogic-Music
3) Stereo

Do all of these sound the same as using your Music Profile with your 2.0 profile set on Stereo?

If no, which ones are providing the same base levels you are expecting (do any provide the same level of base as you get when watching a movie?)

It maybe that you are getting more base from your surrounds or even your center. Possibly your Fronts are even canceling each other out... you might check to see if one of them is accidently got the polarity swapped, always worth double checking.

I hope I missed some other feedback from others on your config. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

post #3536 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

I suppose anything is possible. As far as correcting the "possible." The MRX only offers the feature of audio delay... up to 150ms. But as of right now, if the film is 1080p24 (the only res I have issues with)... the MRX's lip sync feature does absolutely nothing to correct the problem of any needed audio delay.

But if the video runs ahead of the audio... I don't think the MRX has a feature of delaying video... That may be up to the features of the BD player.

You will find out soon enough what workarounds you may have to make until Anthem corrects the 1080p24 bug with a new firmware release.

Like I said... all other resolutions and frame rates seem to work fine using the "Through" feature of the MRX.

Time will tell.

PS... Is there a pre/pro out there that only manages the audio side of HDMI? I am sure I am not the only that could care less about video processing.

Thanks

Since audio and video are transmitted as a single package over HDMI, escaping video processing in an AVR is fairly difficult to do when using HDMI.

One feature that no one has implemented is a frame store (2 or 3 frame buffer) so you can actually advance the audio.. anyone out there listening..

If you want a digital audio solution without video, the only company that really offers a solution is Denon with their Denon Link common clock system, which claims to eliminate jitter via an audio only connection...
post #3537 of 16526 Old 04-11-2011, 09:54 PM

@Tigger

Thanks! I have heard overwhelmingly positive reviews and my uncle is Doug Schneider of Soundstage! who suggested I check them out. I will hopefully be as lucky as you with your setup.
post #3538 of 16526 Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Audiolab AP8000, but it does not decode lossless codes, just accepts PCM via HDMI, so decoding must be done in the BD player
post #3539 of 16526 Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 AM

Good Morning to all. I have a question about hooking the 700 series up. Currently my tv does not have HDMI. Can I hook this up with HDMI from the blue ray and cable box outs into the 700 series in and run component to the tv and not loose quality? I have an opportunity to test the 700 in my theatre room. The tv that I am waiting for is not out yet and my current Toshiba Cinema Series CRT is going to have to make due for now. I am waiting for either the Samsung UN65D8000 or the Sony KDL-65HX729.
post #3540 of 16526 Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 AM

Just a quick update about using a "Power Conditioner" with the MRX and my audio issue.

I've had my MRX300 plugged directly to the wall outlet for the past three weeks bypassing my Panamax as Anthem recommended. Over the weekend, the unit's audio failed again, of course with a house full of people over to watch a movie.

Not posting to bash the unit, just wanted to update my problem in case anyone else has this issue. Unit is going to my Anthem retailer so they can evaluate.

I just want to be able to power on the unit without having to cross my fingers that I have audio. The ARC technology has had too much of an impact on my room to give up on the Anthem.

I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid - Jayne
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page