Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 129 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3841 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Honestly, it is really easy.

Like you said measure then arc it. You do need a USB to serial adaptor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by philb37 View Post

Honestly, it is really easy.

Like you said measure then arc it. You do need a USB to serial adaptor.

Yes I've got the adaptor. Tripp lite USA 19-hs.
post #3843 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630

"Page not found"
post #3844 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by romavictor View Post

"Page not found"

let's try it this way

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #3845 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Oh God. Another thread with 5000 posts??? There's gotta be an easy guide somewhere no?

DID you READ ONLY the FIRST POST??????????????
post #3846 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hello..

I am about to make the jump from a Denon 4810 over to either the MRX-500 or 700. My Denon has twin HDMI outs, but this only has one. Since I am going to be also adding a projector, I was wondering how you would hook both up and if you would quality by having to split the signal.

Thanks.
post #3847 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

Now I'm confused? I thought ARC set distances when run.

What is so confusing? If the manual is read properly, you'd understand. The first measurement has absolutely nothing to do with ARC. It is part of the setup of the MRX. You are measuring the primary listening position only! Do not confuse (obviously you are) this with the listening positions mentioned in ARC setup. Two sets of instructions for two different things. At least that is my understanding of it all.
-Peter

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #3848 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Ok, so I know of no quick setup guide... but you asked for some steps... and as much of the great advice on here gets a bit confused with Anthems Statment Series, which is configured differently... here goes the simple ARC quick Setup Guide for MRX...

I'm afraid I'm not in front of my MRX and this is off the top of my head as I take a 5 minute break at work... if you need more detail I can update this later tonight.

1) Required tools:

ARC Serial Cable
ARC USB Cable with provided ARC Microphone
Laptop/Desktop (32 or 64 bit is fine, must be running windows)
1 available USB Port and 1 Serial Port OR 2 available USB Ports and a USB to Serial Adapter (Keyspan highly recommended)
Tape Measure
Origional ARC install CD that Shipped with your MRX and ARC Microphone

2) Measure the distance from each speaker to the Primary Listening Position (where your head would be).
3) Enter your measurments in to the Speaker Distance Setup Menu (this can be doen after running ARC Calibration or before, it does not matter... but I'm providing a step by step here, so I put it before...)
4) Install ARC from the Origional Shipping CD! (this will ensure you have the correct calibration file installed), than it is recommended that you update your installation with the latest version from Anthems site! (see step 5)
5) Optional: (highly recommended) Download the latest version of ARC and install it overtop of the version you just installed from your CD. (It is ok to uninstall the old version first if you like as the calibration file will not get uninstalled). NOTE: the version that shipped with the first MRX's had a bug that would not let you open previously saved files. It is recommended that you upgrade to the latest version! WARNING: If you did not install off of your origional CD but simply installed the latest version from Anthems website, you are missing your calibration file which can only be found on the origional CD. Please see these two posts for some help in locating and copying your calibration file over from your CD to your current installation manually: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1349 and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1642
6) Connect up the Serial Cable to the MRX and your Laptop (if using the USB to Serial Adapter set it up and configure it first) NOTE: Make sure your Serial Port uses COM Port 1-6, not higher!
7) Connect the USB Cable to your Microphone and the Laptop and install the Microphone in the MIC Stand.
8) Adjust the Microphone and Microphone Stand so the microphone is perfectly vertical (USB cable goes straight down). And adjust the height and position of the Microphone so that the Micrphone can be placed exactly where your head will be when you are sitting in your primary listening position (unless you like to stand the whole time you listen to your MRX in which case you can adjust it to wherever you plan for your head to be when listening). This may mean you need to set the microphone way out at the end of the extension so it can be positioned near the back of your couch where your head will end up when you are sitting on the couch.
9) Start the ARC Calibration Software, Run ARC in Advanced Mode (this is really not any harder than Automatic Mode).
10) Turn On your MRX
11) Press the "Measure Button"
12) Select your calibration file
13) Start the ARC measurements (for the simple setup do not change any of the settings except to mark the rear speakers as not present if you are in a 5.1 environment instead of 7.1 or mark both rear and surrounds as not present for 3.1). If during the ARC Calibration, your tests fail... it is probably because you asked it to run calibration for speakers you don't have.
14) For each new Set of Measurements, move the Microphone so it sits in each of your 5 listening positions (as close to where someones head would be) but atleast 2 feet away from all of your other measurments. If you only have one listening positition, take measurements 2 feet on either side of your primary listening position slightly forward and rear of it.
15) Once measurments are done press the "Targets" button, and press 'Alt-Print Screen' to capture your targets window. Now open Micosoft Paint and paste the Targets window into Paint. Save your Targets window as a JPG or PNG file for uploading to the forum later. **(see note below)
16) Press the "Calculate" button.
17) Now take Screen Shots of each of your graphs (you should have 3 colored lines on each: one is the measured response from your tests, one is ideal response ARC would like you to have and one is calculated response of what ARC hopes to achieve). Paste each Screen Shot into Paint and save for upload later to the forum.**(see note below)
18) Press "Upload" button.
19) Once your Upload is complete you can pack up the laptop, Microphone and all the cables. (A lot of just leave the Serial cable connected to the MRX and tuck it away so it is easy to get to if we want to make any changes at a later date).
20) Power on your MRX.
21) Hit setup on your MRX remote and go to ALL of your sources and turn ARC "ON" (with the latest firmware you will probably not need to change anything here. The setting you want to check and make sure is enabled however is called "Anthem Room Correction" and it is found under the 'Advanced Source Setup' menu under the 'Audio/Video Setup and Presets' menu.)
22) Now in your setup menu go to the 'Level Calibration' menu, found under the 'Speaker Configuration' menu und write down all of the speaker level adjustments so you can type them into your post with your graphs. Do NOT make any adjustments to the levels here. If after a week of listening you want to tweak the bass or treble, use the Bass and Treble controls under the 'Advanced Source Setup' menu for the source that needs adjusting.
23) Post your Level Calibration numbers, your Targets window and your Graphs up so we can all see how things look and perhaps make some recommendations that will better help you tweak things! (see the attached samples for what we are looking for. NOTE: You can post your whole screen shot, you do not need to neatly crop them like the examples. Also these examples are not meant to represent what your graphs or targets will look like, they are for demonstration purposes only!

You are now good to go! Obviously there are more advanced options, such as configuring two different calibrations setups (one for "Movies" and one for "Music").

There is no need to set any Volume Levels, take Sound Pressure Readings or do any other advanced speaker configuration (Some of these things are required for Anthems Signature products).

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

** See the following post for some details on customizing Music Profile in this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=4059

** See the following post for more tips on how to capture your graphs and targets window using the "Print Screen" button on your computer. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2104

** See the following post for more tips on what to post to get feedback as well as tips on where to place your mic during measurements. Thanks for the great post Bob! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=7128

** How long does it take to run ARC? Use this post to estimate how long it will take to run ARC. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=7787

** See the following post on tips about updating ARC to the latest version. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=7961

** See the following post for help with updating firmware on the MRX. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=7958

*** PLEASE read and checkout all the information and links in the FAQ post ***
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...58&postcount=2

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
scirica likes this.

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #3849 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
You can measure and input the distances before or after your measurement but you still have to let the receiver know the distances so it can allow sounds to reach your ears at the same time ie. time delay.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #3850 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

A little more helpfull information:

Sub Setup:

Set the sub with the volume 2/3 to all of the way up.
Set all crossovers and filters to off (or as high as they will go).
Phase should be 0 (unless you are being more advanced in which case please see the following great reference:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post13997761
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post15831964

Measurements:

ARC does not calculate these for you, but they can be set before or after running ARC and have no affect on the actual process of Calibrating ARC

Please see my older post with some great info on what the configuration areas of the MRX do and how they interact:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1797

I also posted some additional information of good starting places for learning in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...i#post20370879

Lastly, the thread for the Anthem Signature products has some great information on tweaking your speakers with ARC. See part way down the first post of the thread, but be aware that the Signature Series does get setup and calibrated with a few additional steps than we are required to do for the MRX.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=678260

post #3851 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post
You can measure and input the distances before or after your measurement but you still have to let the receiver know the distances so it can allow sounds to reach your ears at the same time ie. time delay.
John
Exactly, but the measurments are not needed during calibration and are not part of the calculations done during calibration... so if you didn't do them before hand, it is ok to do them afterwards and you will not need to re-run ARC calibration

post #3852 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone sees something I missed (or a bad spelling/typo) shoot me a PM and I'll be sure to update my two posts! Hope they help.

post #3853 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Liked: 11
I guess what amazes me is, it's not really that hard to set the MRX up. It was just a matter of reading through it, and doing it. Yes, the manual has a lot to be desired at times, but it's not that bad. After seeing all the "trouble" people were having here, I was a bit aprehensive before I started. After I made all my connections - which took all of 20 min (maybe) - ARC took about 45 min. That's including installing the software & uploading the results.
-Peter

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #3854 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger!

Exactly, but the measurments are not needed during calibration and are not part of the calculations done during calibration... so if you didn't do them before hand, it is ok to do them afterwards and you will not need to re-run ARC calibration
That is correct, so hopefully people can get on with their lives
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #3855 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post
Ok, so I know of no quick setup guide... but you asked for some steps... and as much of the great advice on here gets a bit confused with Anthems Statment Series, which is configured differently... here goes the simple ARC quick Setup Guide...

I'm afraid I'm not in front of my MRX and this is off the top of my head as I take a 5 minute break at work... if you need more detail I can update this later tonight.

1) Required tools:

ARC Serial Cable
ARC USB Cable with provided ARC Microphone
Laptop/Desktop (32 or 64 bit is fine, must be running windows)
1 available USB Port and 1 Serial Port OR 2 available USB Ports and a USB to Serial Adapter (Keyspan highly recommended)
Tape Measure
Origional ARC install CD that Shipped with your MRX and ARC Microphone

2) Measure from each speaker to the Primary Listening Position
3) Enter Measurments in to the Speaker Distance Setup Menu (this can be doen after running ARC or before, it does not matter... but I'm providing a step by step here...)
4) Install ARC from the Origional Shipping CD! (this will ensure you have the correct calibration file installed), than it is recommended you update your installation with the latest version on Anthems site!
5) Optional: (highly recommended) Download the latest version of ARC and install it overtop of the one you installed off the CD. (It is ok to uninstall the old version first as the calibration file will not get uninstalled). NOTE: the version that shipped with the first MRX's had a bug that would not let you open previously saved files. It is recommended that you upgrade to the latest version! WARNING: If you did not install off of your origional CD but simply installed the latest version, you are missing your calibration file that is only found on the origional CD. Please see these two posts for some help in locating and copying that file from your CD to your current installation manually: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...l#post19778609 and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...l#post19871352
6) Connect up the Serial Cable to the MRX and your Laptop (if using the USB to Serial Adapter set it up and configure it first) NOTE: Make sure your Serial Port uses COM Port 1-6, not higher!
7) Connect the USB Cable to your Microphone and the Laptop and install the Microphone in the MIC Stand.
8) Adjust the Microphone and Microphone Stand so the Microphone is perfectly vertical (USB cable goes straight down). And adjust the height and position of the Microphone so that the Micrphone can be placed exactly where your head will be when you are sitting in your primary position (unless you like to stand the whole time in which case you can adjust it to wherever your head will be when listening). This may mean you need to set the microphone way out like at the end of the extension so it can be positioned near the back of your couch where your head will end up when you are sitting on the couch.
9) Start the ARC Calibration Software, Run ARC in Advanced Mode (this is really not any harder that Automatic).
10) Turn On your MRX
11) Press the "Measure Button"
12) Select your calibration file
13) Start the ARC measurements (for the simple setup do not change any of the settings except to mark the rear speakers as not present if you are in a 5.1 environment instead of 7.1). If during ARC it fails... it is probably because you asked it to run calibration for speakers you don't have.
14) For each new Set of Measurements, move the Microphone so it sits in each of your 5 listening positions (as close to where someones head would be) but atleast 2 feet away from all of your other measurments. If you only have one listening positition, take measurements 2 feet on either side of your primary listening position slightly forward and rear of it.
15) Once measurments are done press the "Targets" button, and press 'Alt-Print Screen' to capture your targets window. Now open Micosoft Paint and past the Targets window into Paint. Save your Targets window as a JPG or PNG file for uploading to the forum later.
16) Press the "Calculate" button.
17) Now take Screen Shots of each of your graphs (should have 3 colored lines on each: one is measure, one is ideal and one is calculated). Paste each Screen Shot into Paint and save for upload later to the forum.
18) Press "Upload" button.
19) Once your Upload is complete you can pack up the laptop, Microphone and all the cables. (A lot of just leave the Serial cable connected to the MRX and tuck it away so it is easy to get to if we want to make any changes at a later date).
20) Power on your MRX.
21) Go to ALL of your sources and turn ARC "ON"
22) Post your Targets window and Graphs up so we can all see how things look and perhaps make some recommendations that will better help you tweak things.

You are now good to go! Obviously there are more advanced options, such as configuring two different calibrations setups (one for "Movies" and one for "Music").

There is not need to set any Volume Levels, take Sound Pressure Readings or do any other advanced speaker configuration (Some of these things are required for Anthems Signature products).
Quote:
A little more helpfull information:

Sub Setup:

Set the sub with the volume 2/3 to all of the way up.
Set all crossovers and filters to off (or as high as they will go).
Phase should be 0 (unless you are being more advanced in which case please see the following great reference:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post13997761
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post15831964

Measurements:

ARC does not calculate these for you, but they can be set before or after running ARC and have no affect on the actual process of Calibrating ARC

Please see my older post with some great info on what the configuration areas of the MRX do and how they interact:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1797

I also posted some additional information of good starting places for learning in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...i#post20370879

Lastly, the thread for the Anthem Signature products has some great information on tweaking your speakers with ARC. See part way down the first post of the thread, but be aware that the Signature Series does get setup and calibrated with a few additional steps than we are required to do for the MRX.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=678260
Thank you Tigger, great job
post #3856 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Hello community. I have a new MRX300 that I am trying to get setup with my satellite and sub arrangement.

I went through the measurement process and ended up with 0 room gain, crossovers at 80Hz, set the sub target to flat.

When listening to movies and music, there is a definite lack of bass/fullness. Music sounds very anemic. This isn't the case if I just level match the sub using a RS meter and a test tone CD. I don't really hear/feel any bass drum kicks and music/movies sound very strange. I ended up needing 3-4 db increase in sub level OR +4db of BASS adjustment.

I also noticed that if I were to use the built-in sub level test tone and set the gain on my sub am using an RS meter to 75 db, the sub is almost off. No bass at all. After running arc and playing the subwoofer test tone, the level if deafening.. off the charts of the RS meter.

I called Anthem and was basically told that there is a software issue that is making alot of people have to manually increase their subwoofer level by about 3-4 db and that they also know about the subwoofer test tone level problem and that a firmware fix is being worked on. But basically, it is known that ARC is often setting the sub level too low by 3-4 db.

Has anyone else had this experience? And, if so, what did you do to get around it for now? Just increase sub level 3-4 db? Did anyone else end up increase the BASS adjustment?
post #3857 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone leave their serial cable attached to the back of the receiver all the time. My access is tight and would just like to leave it attached to the back all the time.
post #3858 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

Does anyone leave their serial cable attached to the back of the receiver all the time. My access is tight and would just like to leave it attached to the back all the time.

Yes. Just coil it up to keep things neat.
post #3859 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. Just coil it up to keep things neat.

post #3860 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Thanks Tigger man. I will try out your steps.
post #3861 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 PM

I was an early adopter of an Anthem MRX 700. Overall I am very pleased with the receiver's build quality and the effectiveness of ARC. As time has gone by though I have become increasingly dissatisfied with the number of serious failings in this AVR's operation. In particular, the receiver's mis-processing of the HDMI signal in Through mode, causing dropped frames and judder. Secondly, the deficient subwoofer level setting as performed by ARC. And lastly, the loud noises accompanying setting changes with my Tivo DVR. I am still hoping that all of these problems can be fixed with future updates but the longer this seems to take, the less confidant I become.
post #3862 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

As time has gone by though I have become increasingly dissatisfied with the number of serious failings in this AVR's operation. In particular, the receiver's mis-processing of the HDMI signal in Through mode, causing dropped frames and judder.

What has Anthem said to you about your problem with Through mode?

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #3863 of 16568 Old 05-05-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drphysics View Post

Hello community. I have a new MRX300 that I am trying to get setup with my satellite and sub arrangement.

I went through the measurement process and ended up with 0 room gain, crossovers at 80Hz, set the sub target to flat.

When listening to movies and music, there is a definite lack of bass/fullness. Music sounds very anemic. This isn't the case if I just level match the sub using a RS meter and a test tone CD. I don't really hear/feel any bass drum kicks and music/movies sound very strange. I ended up needing 3-4 db increase in sub level OR +4db of BASS adjustment.

I also noticed that if I were to use the built-in sub level test tone and set the gain on my sub am using an RS meter to 75 db, the sub is almost off. No bass at all. After running arc and playing the subwoofer test tone, the level if deafening.. off the charts of the RS meter.

I called Anthem and was basically told that there is a software issue that is making alot of people have to manually increase their subwoofer level by about 3-4 db and that they also know about the subwoofer test tone level problem and that a firmware fix is being worked on. But basically, it is known that ARC is often setting the sub level too low by 3-4 db.

Has anyone else had this experience? And, if so, what did you do to get around it for now? Just increase sub level 3-4 db? Did anyone else end up increase the BASS adjustment?

How are we to know? Is it all receivers?
post #3864 of 16568 Old 05-06-2011, 12:45 AM

Well, I knew because I threw in "white and nerdy" and it sounded like the sub wasn't even on.

+4 over what arc set the sub level as and things sound as I would expect.
post #3865 of 16568 Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:

the serial adapter is not plug and play??? what's the configuration process?

Thanks.
post #3866 of 16568 Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the serial adapter is not plug and play??? what's the configuration process?

Thanks.

It will likely work as plug and play but if it doesn't this is the first thing to check. The adapter is plug and play but ARC needs it to be com1-6.
post #3867 of 16568 Old 05-06-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:

It will likely work as plug and play but if it doesn't this is the first thing to check. The adapter is plug and play but ARC needs it to be com1-6.

How do I make sure it's com 1-6? I have no clue how.
post #3868 of 16568 Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How do I make sure it's com 1-6? I have no clue how.

You worry too much. Worry about that IF it doesn't find the processor.
post #3869 of 16568 Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I knew because I threw in "white and nerdy" and it sounded like the sub wasn't even on.

+4 over what arc set the sub level as and things sound as I would expect.

Ah ha. Someone who has actually confirmed with Anthem that there is a deficiency in the subwoofer level after ARC. There have been several people complain about percieved weak bass, including myself, but we are always told to just listen to what ARC gives you for a while because you are just not used to hearing correct sound. This is indeed quite good advice, but I've been listening to what ARC sets for a little over a week now and though my perception has improved, it's not enough to make it sound right to my ears. As soon as I raise the sub level several DB it sounds better and like what I'd expect. I too have measured with my Rat Shack meter after ARC and the sub indeed does measure 3-4 DB lower thant the rest of the speakers. We are also told not to do this becaus the mic on the Rat Shack meter is not as accurate in the low region as the ARC mic, but it seems now there is some truth into what's going on here.

-Glen
post #3870 of 16568 Old 05-06-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

I was an early adopter of an Anthem MRX 700. Overall I am very pleased with the receiver's build quality and the effectiveness of ARC. As time has gone by though I have become increasingly dissatisfied with the number of serious failings in this AVR's operation. In particular, the receiver's mis-processing of the HDMI signal in Through mode, causing dropped frames and judder. Secondly, the deficient subwoofer level setting as performed by ARC. And lastly, the loud noises accompanying setting changes with my Tivo DVR. I am still hoping that all of these problems can be fixed with future updates but the longer this seems to take, the less confidant I become.

New beta software has been released that addresses these and other issues. Anthem is working on them so hopefully it will go public soon.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page