Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 520Likes

post #391 of 17126 Old 11-29-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

Although 6.1-channel speaker config isn't very common we're working on adding a "one back channel" configuration to MRX ARC.

Nick, that is great news! How long will this take to implement? And, can current MRX avr's be updated later on?

Btw, how are the MRX's updated? Can they be updated by the customer, or only through an authorized service center?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 17126 Old 11-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been led to believe that the reciever can be updated by the user and that is done thru the RS232 port. And if the revision is being made in ARC, that update can be done to all recievers.
post #393 of 17126 Old 11-29-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Nick, that is great news! How long will this take to implement? And, can current MRX avr's be updated later on?

Btw, how are the MRX's updated? Can they be updated by the customer, or only through an authorized service center?

As Cornchip75 mentions updates will be done through the serial port in the rear of the MRXs. Same as you would do with ARC. When ARC is updated, you will simply reinstall the update of ARC and do a new measurement for a 6.1 config. Quite easy to do as with their pre/pros.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs

post #394 of 17126 Old 11-29-2010, 04:39 PM

Just wondering. I see that power consumption is 500 watts on the MRX 700.

I was in BB tonight and looking at some of the new Marantz receivers and I put my hand on top of the SR6005 and it was VERY hot. It also kept shutting off. I suspect the BB racks with little to no ventilation didn't help.

Can anyone comment how the Anthem 700 runs compared to other brands of high powered receivers?

I remember putting my hand on top of an Anthem just in the front area and it only felt warm NOT hot.
post #395 of 17126 Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post
As Cornchip75 mentions updates will be done through the serial port in the rear of the MRXs. Same as you would do with ARC. When ARC is updated, you will simply reinstall the update of ARC and do a new measurement for a 6.1 config. Quite easy to do as with their pre/pros.
John
Forgive my ignorance... Does an RS-232 update work the same as an ethernet update? Or, do you have to download it to your PC first?
post #396 of 17126 Old 11-29-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC

Forgive my ignorance... Does an RS-232 update work the same as an ethernet update? Or, do you have to download it to your PC first?
You download files to your PC and then using a USB/serial adapter, such as the Keyspan, you upload into the receiver either firmware updates or ARC files. Ethernet connects to the Internet but that is not how it works with these receivers . Anthem is outstanding in it's response to customer issues and their ability to solve many of them with rapid firmware updates. Not many companies can match that.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #397 of 17126 Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

i used my mrx500 for about 6 movies back to back, all at reference levels. no external amps used. the top got quite hot, but never once did it hiccup or shut-down. i would say that my previous denon was about just as hot.

post #398 of 17126 Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

Nick, that is great news! How long will this take to implement?

Sorry, Ihave no idea how much time a major software update such as DSP mod would take since we don't do all the MRX work ourselves (although we still spec most of it).

For now the plan is to give ARC the ability to run a single rear - we do the ARC software and getting the DSP to play the sweep out of one back channel instead of two shouldn't be hard.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #399 of 17126 Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork52 View Post

Just wondering. I see that power consumption is 500 watts on the MRX 700.

I was in BB tonight and looking at some of the new Marantz receivers and I put my hand on top of the SR6005 and it was VERY hot. It also kept shutting off. I suspect the BB racks with little to no ventilation didn't help.

Can anyone comment how the Anthem 700 runs compared to other brands of high powered receivers?

I remember putting my hand on top of an Anthem just in the front area and it only felt warm NOT hot.

Heat increases with load, as does power consumption. Merely warm at idle or low load.

Speaking of internals note that there's an extruded tunnel shaped heat sink (not a folded piece of metal which is more common in the category) with fan on one end. It turns on when things are really rocking... there's little chance it'll be heard with ordinary use.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #400 of 17126 Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglozic View Post

OK, in all fairness I was comparing MRX 700 and PVA 7 assuming that all the components I saw in the pictures are real and actually hooked up :-). My point was that all things being equal, amp with a single bipolar transistors per channel will have a smaller damping factor than one with multiple pairs, providing that both amps have been executed competently (multiple pairs need to be, well, 'paired' to avoid distorsion when multiple devices are running in tandem).

Again, damping factor is just an indication - a dumping factor of 200 for PVA 7 promises tigher control over woofers. In the end, it all goes down to how the components sound, but I was assuming that MRX 700 and PVA 7 sound similar with PVA 7 having more current capability. Throw in empty cans around small power caps and all bets are off though :-).

Everything has to work as a system, for example power supply has to match output stage and as for filter caps, they can be too big for the design not just too small.

Damping factor of somewhere between 10 and 50 is almost always adequate. More on that:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19084736

Everything has its place - if a situation like sustained bass heavy music in all channel mode has to be covered - yes all channels *can* peak at the same time - a good standalone amp is more suitable than one in a receiver. There has to be a way to get the heat out of the box although as mentioned here several times, you'd have to try hard and wait a while to get an MRX (more so a PVA) into thermal shutdown.

We've been getting inquiries comparing numbers like "7x120W" with regard to published specs for other receivers, as in how come we don't publish all-channels-driven power for MRX. Specs presented as such at these prices do not equate to seven channels putting out 120W at the same time, but seven channels each capable of putting out 120W. Specs confusing? Nah, never happens...

For the average application where a receiver would be suitable a three-channels-driven spec (continuous output) is probably as good as indicator as any.

post #401 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Well, my MRX 500 has arrived

Now I need patience for my dealer to find a gap to install and also move me from 5.1 to 7.1
post #402 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is a very good review of ARC, albeit, the first version and not today's much improved one. Some good info on how it works and the impressions of a very astute reviewer.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/surro...rs/343?start=0

John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #403 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another quick question. How does ARC handle phase correction between the sub and main channels? Does it correct by distance setting(delay), similar to Audyssey? Thanks.
post #404 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Another quick question. How does ARC handle phase correction between the sub and main channels? Does it correct by distance setting(delay), similar to Audyssey? Thanks.

ARC doesn't do this. Phase is set manually.
post #405 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well my MRX500 showed up today and I should have it up and running in 5 days...just waiting for my theater room to be finished.

I can't wait!

Jeff

Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're correct!
Henry Ford
post #406 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

My Anthem dealer now has one less MRX700 in inventory.

It appears that Anthem dealers are now receiving the fulfillment of the balance of initial orders, so, I would expect more reviews and more questions filling this thread.
LL

Stan
post #407 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

My Anthem dealer now has one less MRX700 in inventory.

It appears that Anthem dealers are now receiving the fulfillment of the balance of initial orders, so, I would expect more reviews and more questions filling this thread.

I'm sure you'll let us know how it sounds
Johnb

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #408 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm sure you'll let us know how it sounds
Johnb

John, I will now be able to expand upon my brief initial 1.5 day demo review on an ongoing basis. I apologize for refreshing this review, but you know that I will be setting up my new MRX700 and running ARC this evening.

Quote:

Anthem MRX 700 Demo Mini Review
Here is my brief initial take on the new MRX700.

My Electronics: currently consists of a Denon AVR-4810CI, but I did own an Anthem D2v and Cary Cinema 5, among other separates before opting to simplify things of an electronics nature. I was using an Odyssey HT-3 amp to run the fronts & center until about a month ago. Since that time, I have been using the internal amps in the Denon.

My Speakers: Genesis Technology 6.1Fs, 7.1C, G928 SW, two pairs of Axiom QS8’s. Not too many folks with Genesis speakers. I have never looked back when I replaced a B&W setup over two years ago. The L&R Genesis speakers have a High Level through outputs that connects by speaker cabling to the High Level inputs of the G928 SW. Cabling consists of mostly Nordost Heimdall & Baldur. about a month ago. Please note that my second set of QS8's was being used as Front Heights with the Denon, so the surrounds in the charts below are older full sized Cambridge Soundworks Tower II Speakers.

The Denon 4810 was always intended to be a temporary solution, while awaiting Anthem to release the MRX receivers. But, I was unsure about waiting it out for the 900 or opting for a 700, so I did not preorder a new MRX. My local Anthem dealer, Gary Wurlitzer of Wurlitzer Stereo in Marlborough, MA loaned me his new MRX 700 demo.

Initial Useability Impressions:

Pros: MRX is better looking in person than by picture. The buttons are so Anthem-like (and useable). The MRX t is almost compact in nature and is not oversized like some of the upscale priced Denons and Marantz units. The rear panel is well spaced out and not overcrowded. Speaker connectors are well made. Fonts of display on front of unit are large enough for my old eyes to see. Setup is simple. Last evening I ran manual setup, taking speaker measurements with a tape and using my trusty Ratshack meter and an AIX audio calibration disc to balance the sound. I always wait to run room correction/ARC, until I do some initial listening because I believe that playing with manual setup gives me the ability to betternlearn the ins & outs of new elctronics and to test out the SQ prior to any room correction setup.

Cons: Speaker distance is only measured in foot increments. Other than volume, information only shows up via OSD on monitor when entering setup/making changes.

Initial Sound Impressions: My dealer had told me that he expected that Anthem’s implementation of amps in the MRX receivers would be superior to the Denon. He was correct, and then some. Since selling my last external amplifier, I have found the Denon to be lacking in dynamics and a bit thin in the midrange. The amps in the MRX are dead quiet and extremely dynamic. I ran a number of BD discs and found that the Anthem never lacked for power or distorted, even when turning the volume up much louder than I would normally listen. I would describe the sound as clean and articulate. No, it does not have the depth that I remember from my D2 days, but after taking the Denon out of play, I found that I was no longer wanting for a separate amplifier or my D2. I need to get the how does analog sound questions out of the way. I hooked up one of my Rega TT’s as well as some nice recorded CD’s through my Oppo BDP83. The MRX is OK, but nothing special analogue wise. Digital listening is another story. I have learned thru experience that analogue belongs in a separate system (or with a 2 CH tube integrated with HT bypass), and I now only listen to music digitally in my HT.

ARC: I ran ARC this morning, and am listening/watching a Return To Forever Returns BD disc. Although my fronts are rated 48HZ to 36HZ +/- 3dB, ARC set them to Small 80 Hz. I already knew that I should not be concerned about whether ARC sets my speakers on Small or Large because I know from experience that ARC appears to know more than I do because it sounds really good. Now, I just need to listen to some more flix and some music.

Overall: SQ appears to be extremely good and quiet and at the same time quite dynamic when compared to my Denon/Odyssey implementation. Not as many bells & whistles as the Denon, but I never used most of those. So far I am very pleased with the MRX 700. Right now, the MRX does not leave me wanting for separates. Yes, it could have a bit better user interface with more frills/pizzaz, but it sounds really good, and I will take good sound over the frills any day of the week.

Stan
post #409 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

John, I will now be able to expand upon my brief initial 1.5 day demo review on an ongoing basis. I apologize for refreshing this review, but you know that I will be setting up my new MRX700 and running ARC this evening.

Stan,
You might want to post your charts since not many people have done this so far. Would be interesting to see how measured vs. corrected looks. Good luck with it.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #410 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles17 View Post

Well, my MRX 500 has arrived

Now I need patience for my dealer to find a gap to install and also move me from 5.1 to 7.1

Congrats. We need some of those dancing icons(calling drhankz) similar to the ones given out on the pre/pro thread when a delivery takes place. Good luck setting it up.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #411 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

ARC doesn't do this. Phase is set manually.

Huh? Are you saying that speaker/sub distances are set manually and not by ARC?
post #412 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Huh? Are you saying that speaker/sub distances are set manually and not by ARC?

That is correct.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #413 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

As my room has been under re-construction for several weeks and I await delivery of S-8-s, etc., my MRX has been in mothballs. So looking forward to your further impressions. GoStan Go.
post #414 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have noticed a bit of a theme developing with some of the newer model AVR's. It appears as though the latest Onkyo's, and the odd Denon, have current limiting of some sort which appears to be crippling 5 & 7 channel performance. My guess is that they are adding these limiters to keep heat down to a manageable level. Does anyone know if these new MRX's have any kind of current limiting circuit built in? Nick, maybe you can answer this for us...
post #415 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That is correct.
John

when i ran arc, it set all distances for my speakers and sub. i just doubled checked them and they are all correct. am i missing something?

post #416 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 PM
lpw

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've just spent a frustrating evening trying to run ARC on my new MRX500 without any success. In fact, I thought I almost bricked my new unit while trying to upgrade the new firmware made available today.

A fellow AVS member was kind enough to lend me a Bytecc USB-RS232 adapter, which I believe is the same one that monoprice sells. I found the driver on the Bytecc website and it installed fine (it uses the Prolific driver). I proceeded to upgrade the firmware** and was successful. However, when I tried to run ARC, the software failed to initialize and returned a message saying it can't locate a valid processor. I went into Device Manager and checked the serial port settings: I tried a few different com ports (1-6), even changed the stop bits to 2 from the default 1, but I got the same message each time about being unable to locate a valid processor. I even found a newer version of the Prolific driver, but still no go. Is this because this Bytecc cable won't work with ARC and I have to get the Keyspan adapter or is it something else?

I figured this Bytecc one was successful in upgrading the firmware so it should be fine to run ARC, right? Has everyone who has bought one of these receivers so far been using the Keyspan adapter?

**My first attempt failed and I thought the receiver or my HTPC crashed. I was using my HTPC to run the firmware upgrade and this was being output to my projector screen. When the firmware was writing to the receiver video RAM and ROM, my screen went blank. I waited and waited and figured something went wrong, and so I finally unplugged the receiver. When I turned it back on again, the audio was fine, but there was no video! I clicked on the INFO button and saw there was no firmware version shown for the video on the receiver. I then went and tried the firmware upgrade a 2nd time, but this time using my netbook. This time, everything went fine. The readme text file does mention that this whole process takes about 10 mins, so I unplugged the receiver too quickly the first time when I thought something crashed. I think when it was writing to the video RAM and ROM, it obviously affected the output of video. Anyways, I don't think there was any harm done, but if this had been a computer motherboard I was flashing, I'm sure I would've bricked it.
post #417 of 17126 Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the video output resolution? I have a 1080 tv and a 720 projector, so I'd like to keep the output of my sources at 1080, but my mrx700 is going to be connected to the projector. It can handle downscaling, but sometimes produces artifacting.
post #418 of 17126 Old 12-01-2010, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

when i ran arc, it set all distances for my speakers and sub. i just doubled checked them and they are all correct. am i missing something?

ARC doesn't set the speaker distance. Is it possible that you entered the speaker distance? One way to confirm if ARC is setting or not setting the speaker distance is to set them all to zero and re-run ARC. After ARC completes, you can check the speaker distance. I would think that they will still be zero. If you are going to do that, then make sure you write down each speaker distance in case in have to enter them after running ARC. If you do have to enter the speaker distance, you will *NOT* have to re-run ARC. Make sure you save user and/or installer settings after you enter the speaker distances.
post #419 of 17126 Old 12-01-2010, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

ARC definitely does not set speaker distances. Something strange is happening here
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #420 of 17126 Old 12-01-2010, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpw View Post

I've just spent a frustrating evening trying to run ARC on my new MRX500 without any success. In fact, I thought I almost bricked my new unit while trying to upgrade the new firmware made available today.

A fellow AVS member was kind enough to lend me a Bytecc USB-RS232 adapter, which I believe is the same one that monoprice sells. I found the driver on the Bytecc website and it installed fine (it uses the Prolific driver). I proceeded to upgrade the firmware** and was successful. However, when I tried to run ARC, the software failed to initialize and returned a message saying it can't locate a valid processor. I went into Device Manager and checked the serial port settings: I tried a few different com ports (1-6), even changed the stop bits to 2 from the default 1, but I got the same message each time about being unable to locate a valid processor. I even found a newer version of the Prolific driver, but still no go. Is this because this Bytecc cable won't work with ARC and I have to get the Keyspan adapter or is it something else?

I figured this Bytecc one was successful in upgrading the firmware so it should be fine to run ARC, right? Has everyone who has bought one of these receivers so far been using the Keyspan adapter?

**My first attempt failed and I thought the receiver or my HTPC crashed. I was using my HTPC to run the firmware upgrade and this was being output to my projector screen. When the firmware was writing to the receiver video RAM and ROM, my screen went blank. I waited and waited and figured something went wrong, and so I finally unplugged the receiver. When I turned it back on again, the audio was fine, but there was no video! I clicked on the INFO button and saw there was no firmware version shown for the video on the receiver. I then went and tried the firmware upgrade a 2nd time, but this time using my netbook. This time, everything went fine. The readme text file does mention that this whole process takes about 10 mins, so I unplugged the receiver too quickly the first time when I thought something crashed. I think when it was writing to the video RAM and ROM, it obviously affected the output of video. Anyways, I don't think there was any harm done, but if this had been a computer motherboard I was flashing, I'm sure I would've bricked it.

Probably not everyone has a Keyspan but it is, without a doubt, the most reliable with the Anthem gear. Firmware updates do take a while so go away and let it do it's thing. For ARC, try rebooting and try again. If you try to do it just after a failure, it will keep telling you there is an error. So reboot. If this doesn't work, email or call Anthem tech, they wil be happy to help. Also if you do have a screw up with a firmware update there is a utility call Flash Eraser which is in the ARC download folder. However don't play with this unless Anthem Tech advises.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
3d Hdtv , Anthem , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx700 , Component Amplifiers , MRX-300 , power amp , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems , xpa-5

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page