Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 148 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I read that there was suppose to be an updated firmware release by the end of last week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

I thought I read that there was suppose to be an updated firmware release by the end of last week?

Hahahaha...

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #4413 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

Hahahaha...

Just looked back at my e-mail from them and they said to look out for it by the end of the week, which was last week Oh well, maybe this week.
post #4414 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 09:29 AM

I was told then same last week from Anthem tech. Anyway, I assume that it means the firmware is around the corner.
post #4415 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirik72 View Post

I was told then same last week from Anthem tech. Anyway, I assume that it means the firmware is around the corner.

I think I won't get in too much trouble in saying that new beta FW was released last Friday, and it looks to be RC...
post #4416 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

RC=ReCalled??

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #4417 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:

RC=ReCalled??

No, Release Candidate.

post #4418 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I think I won't get in too much trouble in saying that new beta FW was released last Friday, and it looks to be RC...

Actually it was out earlier than that but some new changes were added very recently so those are being tested now.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #4419 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Liked: 12
I am a tad confused?

Reading the d2 thread should we now be doing what bob says?

I.e the setting sub and front left at 75db????

Before running ARC?
post #4420 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Actually it was out earlier than that but some new changes were added very recently so those are being tested now.
John

Which were zipped and uploaded to the beta site on Friday.

Not sure the point of this reply.......
post #4421 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
anyone compared a MRX-500 with an Arcam AVR400 yet ? I'm hoping to get a demo of both as not sure which way to jump

over here in UK - prob can get the AVR400 cheaper than the 500

or cheaper still than both of them - by a long margin an A-3000/3067
post #4422 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM

Mark, it is hard to describe what arc can do to your system, i have not heard the 400 nor would i need to after the 300.
I believe it is the best sound ever in my room and i have had a 350 arcam, denon, onkyos, yamaha rotel tag etc
You need a loan to try it in your room
post #4423 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

philb37- thanks for reply - I too had a AVR350 - and if it sounds anything like it - the Anthem sound like a winner - will have to get a demo

I only reallymoved across to my AX10Ai/59TXi as I wanted proper Room-EQ

so if the Anthem sounds as good as the AVR350 - with up to date processing and of course ARC - then
post #4424 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 AM

Where are you mark?
post #4425 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Uk
post #4426 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb37 View Post

I am a tad confused?

Reading the d2 thread should we now be doing what bob says?

I.e the setting sub and front left at 75db????

Before running ARC?

Nick has mentioned it is not neccesary to do the leveling with the MRXs.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #4427 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

ARC attempts to Measure the inherent Room Gain in your listening room and preserve that in the solution (within limits). That is, it treats Room Gain as a "desirable" room response characteristic rather than something to be eliminated.

Room Gain shows up on the charts as the shallow hump in the Target curves in the vicinity of the crossover frequencies. If you look at the flat part of the Target curve in the mid-frequencies then the Room Gain numeric value is simply the height, in dB, of the Room Gain hump over that basic volume level of the solution. The audible effect of Room Gain is precisely what you would expect from the shape of that hump. Note that if your sub has great low frequency extension, its Target will stay up at the Room Gain peak level all the way off the low frequency end of the chart.

Movie mixers in particular expect home theaters to have a modest amount of Room Gain. 2-4 dB for example. People mixing music have no such consensus, but in general appear to expect less Room Gain. Thus some folks like to reduce the Room Gain built into in their Music ARC configuration by about 1 dB. It's not at all obvious that you'd really even hear such a modest change.

ARC's attempts to Measure Room Gain can be confused by peaks and dips in the raw speaker output near the crossover frequencies. So ARC puts sanity bounds on its Room Gain solution. It won't apply a Room Gain less than 0dB nor more than 4dB (actually slightly less than that for technical reasons). You can force ARC to apply more than 4dB Room Gain in the Targets window prior to Calculation if you really feel the need to do so.

If ARC is confused by a dip in the Measured curves and thus pegs Room Gain near the 0dB lower limit, often you can get a more pleasing result by forcing it up a modest amount -- say to 2dB. But if your speakers need a lot of boost already near the crossovers, then asking ARC to do an additional 2dB may require more boost than it will allow (i.e., to protect speakers and amps), so you need to compromise raising Room Gain against getting a clean Calculated solution without residual errors off the Target curve.

Preserving the inherent Room Gain in your room has the added advantage that natural sounds in sound tracks (e.g., doors closing, male voices), sound more like the real events that might happen in your listening room. Room Gain is part of what gives you the pleasant feeling you are listening in a home theater rather than an anechoic chamber.

Since ARC is attempting to Measure the ACTUAL Room Gain of your listening room, rather than just applying some preset adjustment chosen by the engineers, the Room Gain values you get will vary depending on all the things that can vary an ARC Measurement -- including changing mic locations or shifting the speakers. Large listening rooms, or rooms with extensive acoustic treatment, will generally have a lower Measured Room Gain. If it comes in below 2dB, you could experiment by raising it up to 2dB in Targets before you Calculate. Trust your ears.
--Bob

Bob,
Very informative! So raising room gain by more than 2db may be ill advised as ARC may not be able to correct it that far without potentially overloading the speakers? So is the best way to slowly go up on room gain and recalculate until you see that ARC cannot successfully correct the response curve to the target?

In working my way through this thread I see that you have the most experience in reading these arc curves (or at least is seems so, not my intent to pass anybody else's skills over).

Do you have any guidance on my arc curves that I posted over the weekend? Looks like I created an anechoic chamber based on my room gain of 0. Not my intent, guess I got carried away?
Thank you,
Noah
post #4428 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah W View Post

Bob,
Very informative! So raising room gain by more than 2db may be ill advised as ARC may not be able to correct it that far without potentially overloading the speakers? So is the best way to slowly go up on room gain and recalculate until you see that ARC cannot successfully correct the response curve to the target?

In working my way through this thread I see that you have the most experience in reading these arc curves (or at least is seems so, not my intent to pass anybody else's skills over).

Do you have any guidance on my arc curves that I posted over the weekend? Looks like I created an anechoic chamber based on my room gain of 0. Not my intent, guess I got carried away?
Thank you,
Noah

I'm sorry I don't have time to look at the charts right now.

ARC in the D2v limits boosts to 6dB. So if the Measured curve is more than 6dB below the Target -- perhaps because you raised the Target by adding additional Room Gain -- then you will be left with a residual error. That is, the Calculated curve won't achieve the Target. In general you will get better sound if you re-adjust so that the solution matches the Target.

You may find that adjusting the cutoff/crossover frequencies allows you to make a better fit, but if you push those too far in either direction you can introduce other problems. Raise them too high and you get dialog in the subwoofer. Lower them too much and the speaker may nit be able to do the job down there.

So you play around a bit too see what you can achieve.

Or you move the speakers to get better uncorrected Measurements to work from. Or you add room acoustic treatments to help tame the problems in the room.

Now ARC in the MRX differs in some ways from ARC in the D2v. But the tweaking methodology is the same.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4429 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 PM
ASU

Just moved into new house and reran arc and got the following charts. Still not sure on how to read them so if anyone could offer any input it would be appreciated.
LL
LL
LL
post #4430 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirik72 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

RC=ReCalled??

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post

No, Release Candidate.

Quote:

John

Quote:

Which were zipped and uploaded to the beta site on Friday.

Not sure the point of this reply.......

I just had an e-mail from Anthem an hour ago stating that the firmware should be really soon. This is an additional response to the one they already responded to last week. Didn't expect this one on a holiday I guess they are just keeping the ones who asked updated.
post #4431 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just had an e-mail from Anthem an hour ago stating that the firmware should be really soon. This is an additional response to the one they already responded to last week. Didn't expect this one on a holiday I guess they are just keeping the ones who asked updated.

It's not a holiday in Canada
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #4432 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not a holiday in Canada
John

I forgot Just didn't expect a follow up to an already response from them
post #4433 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I forgot Just didn't expect a follow up to an already response from them

Anthem isn't as bad as some think.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #4434 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anthem isn't as bad as some think.
John
Agreed
post #4435 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
ARC attempts to Measure the inherent Room Gain in your listening room and preserve that in the solution (within limits). That is, it treats Room Gain as a "desirable" room response characteristic rather than something to be eliminated.

Room Gain shows up on the charts as the shallow hump in the Target curves in the vicinity of the crossover frequencies. If you look at the flat part of the Target curve in the mid-frequencies then the Room Gain numeric value is simply the height, in dB, of the Room Gain hump over that basic volume level of the solution. The audible effect of Room Gain is precisely what you would expect from the shape of that hump. Note that if your sub has great low frequency extension, its Target will stay up at the Room Gain peak level all the way off the low frequency end of the chart.

Movie mixers in particular expect home theaters to have a modest amount of Room Gain. 2-4 dB for example. People mixing music have no such consensus, but in general appear to expect less Room Gain. Thus some folks like to reduce the Room Gain built into in their Music ARC configuration by about 1 dB. It's not at all obvious that you'd really even hear such a modest change.

ARC's attempts to Measure Room Gain can be confused by peaks and dips in the raw speaker output near the crossover frequencies. So ARC puts sanity bounds on its Room Gain solution. It won't apply a Room Gain less than 0dB nor more than 4dB (actually slightly less than that for technical reasons). You can force ARC to apply more than 4dB Room Gain in the Targets window prior to Calculation if you really feel the need to do so.

If ARC is confused by a dip in the Measured curves and thus pegs Room Gain near the 0dB lower limit, often you can get a more pleasing result by forcing it up a modest amount -- say to 2dB. But if your speakers need a lot of boost already near the crossovers, then asking ARC to do an additional 2dB may require more boost than it will allow (i.e., to protect speakers and amps), so you need to compromise raising Room Gain against getting a clean Calculated solution without residual errors off the Target curve.

Preserving the inherent Room Gain in your room has the added advantage that natural sounds in sound tracks (e.g., doors closing, male voices), sound more like the real events that might happen in your listening room. Room Gain is part of what gives you the pleasant feeling you are listening in a home theater rather than an anechoic chamber.

Since ARC is attempting to Measure the ACTUAL Room Gain of your listening room, rather than just applying some preset adjustment chosen by the engineers, the Room Gain values you get will vary depending on all the things that can vary an ARC Measurement -- including changing mic locations or shifting the speakers. Large listening rooms, or rooms with extensive acoustic treatment, will generally have a lower Measured Room Gain. If it comes in below 2dB, you could experiment by raising it up to 2dB in Targets before you Calculate. Trust your ears.
--Bob
Very nice explanation, thank you.

I would like to test out the MRX 300 in my system as I think it will be superior to my pioneer ax2, which is getting old.

I'm using external amplification on 5 of the channels via a Primare A30.5 power amp, almost 60 lbs, so pretty beefy. That's why I'm going for the MRX 300 as it will essensially function as a pre.

Anyone else using the MRX series as pre?
post #4436 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post
Very nice explanation, thank you.

I would like to test out the MRX 300 in my system as I think it will be superior to my pioneer ax2, which is getting old.

I'm using external amplification on 5 of the channels via a Primare A30.5 power amp, almost 60 lbs, so pretty beefy. That's why I'm going for the MRX 300 as it will essensially function as a pre.

I use my 300 as a pre/pro
post #4437 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post
anyone compared a MRX-500 with an Arcam AVR400 yet ? I'm hoping to get a demo of both as not sure which way to jump

over here in UK
I would love to read such a comparison too. I am debating over the same units as you.
I thought I was ready to jump on the Arcam except I have been reading quite a few people complaining about bugs in the arcams unit from the past series. The lack of an in depth review of the AVR400 would make it a leap of faith at this point (I can't seem to find a local Arcam rep who has it available for demo)...
So I was looking into the MRX500 as well, as the serie seemed to be very well built (built quality is just as much important to me than bells and whistle, I've had a Sherwood for over 10 years without a single glitch).
But the Anthem not being able to pass through pc resolution is making me hesitate on buying one.
post #4438 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I too am using the MRX as a Pre/Pro...

I think this is the best way to go... that is if you have space and the extra cash for a decent multi-channel amp... This way, when the AVR is obsolete 5 years from now... you will not be out the extra money you spent on an internal amp.

The Anthem MCA series are wonderful power amps... and bargain can usually be found on Audiogon.... I love my MCA 50!

~ Swearengen
post #4439 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 04:25 PM

I'll be using the MRX-500 with the MCA 50. High hopes for it.
post #4440 of 16520 Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhose 15 View Post
I'll be using the MRX-500 with the MCA 50. High hopes for it.
Just curious... why did you go for the 500 instead of the 300?

~ Swearengen
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page