Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #5401 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Using CEC on produces a fair bit of heat from the MRX. Nick mentioned it is equivalent to an incandescent bulb on 24/7. Some may want to use it sparingly.
John

Hi John, I only have one hdmi into my tv! I plan on using the CEC and leaving it on. My Mrx is on top shelve and has plenty of ventilation, do you think this could cause a problem?? I know your not Anthem tech support but would just like your opinion.

Thanks, Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboby View Post

Hi John, I only have one hdmi into my tv! I plan on using the CEC and leaving it on. My Mrx is on top shelve and has plenty of ventilation, do you think this could cause a problem?? I know your not Anthem tech support but would just like your opinion.

Thanks, Rick

Rick,
It won't be a problem, just mentioned it for energy conscious folks. Should be of some benefit in the winter
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #5403 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen Shot View Post

I'm not sure I understand your question. I connect my Apple TV using HDMI and the other option is toslink.

Sorry Screen Shot! I should have been more clear. I use my Macbook pro and itunes to listen to music now. On the new MP the mini displayport is the Hdmi out so you get sound with picture! When I first got the Mrx i used a cable that ran out of my headphone jack and pluged it into the Aux in the front of the Mrx but when i used the mini displayport out to Hdmi it was a huge diff!! But i only get 2 channels for some reason I think i bought the wrong adapter. I am going to get the adapter Apple sells and try it! I was checking out the Apple tv not sure about it yet! I will definitely be purchasing the ipod dock when available

Rick
post #5404 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

1. That is what you can use the two "Movie" and "Music" configurations for... set up one with a sub and one without.... then you can have each input set to either one.

2. No one knows, but Anthem is usually very slow to introduce new models... I wouldn't count on anything before the end of next year at the earliest, and that is pure speculation on my part. However, if you are using a cable/sat box for TV, I would suggest using the component and optical/coax out to save an HDMI port if you are running short.

Point 2 really helps. I use cable box most of the time. Would running it with component and optical/coax degrade picture or sound quality? Also does ARC still run when using optical/coax?

I was also thinking of getting an Oppo blueray player for blueray use instead of using my PS3. Would the sound quality have a noticeable enough improvement through the Oppo to make it worthwhile compared to just sticking with the PS3? If not that could save me another input and some cash.

Thank you all for the help on this!
post #5405 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Rick,
It won't be a problem, just mentioned it for energy conscious folks. Should be of some benefit in the winter
John

Thanks John!! When I got the Mrx it was the only thing I thought it was missing!
I am excited they added this
post #5406 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michollock View Post

Point 2 really helps. I use cable box most of the time. Would running it with component and optical/coax degrade picture or sound quality? Also does ARC still run when using optical/coax?

I was also thinking of getting an Oppo blueray player for blueray use instead of using my PS3. Would the sound quality have a noticeable enough improvement through the Oppo to make it worthwhile compared to just sticking with the PS3? If not that could save me another input and some cash.

Component looks as good as hdmi but without all the syncing crap. ARC doesn't have anything to do with video, it corrects all digital audio signals.
I've had a ps3 and an oppo. No difference in sound quality.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #5407 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by michollock View Post

Yes, you can use Room EQ on all of your sources (which is what ARC provides..)

Cable only uses lossy compression (or stereo PCM...) The quality will be the same as over HDMI.

The Oppo and PS3, in terms of Blu Ray audio quality, should be identical. If you want/need SACD/DVD Audio, or require superior SD DVD up-conversion, go for the Oppo.. if not, spend your money elsewhere..
post #5408 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Liked: 11
I've got my Oppo 83 on A-gon right now. I've decided to go with a PS3 now that I have the mrx300. Digital and arc. No need for analog audio any longer. Blu ray is the same pic and sound. I'd rather have gaming and netflix over sacd/dvd-a. I could care less about dvd upconversion anymore also.
post #5409 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Nick@anthem posted a month or so ago how to work around and manually set the receiver to decode 5.1 true HD sources as PLIIX codec as the setup menu does not list that option. I searched but could not find his post detailing how to do this. Does anybody please remember how to do this or have a link to this post.
Much appreciated.
Noah
post #5410 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

It was packaged in the same plastic bag the remotes were in. It has a 75ohm push on connector on one end with a wire lead.

Is this concern with mono/stereo happening with internet radio?

Internet Radio sounds great! There is no Mono/Stereo OSD indicator while listening to IR. Only the brief pop-up at the bottom of the screen indicating that the MRX has switched to Stereo Internet Radio Media. My only concern with the FM Tuner is because I don't want to go out a year or so down the road to find that it doesn't function properly. Some might think that with Internet Radio, there's no need for concern about the FM section. If that were the case, then there would be no FM Tuner at all. I don't mind making the extra effort to verify that everything works fine. I just rather not spend $100 on an antenna to pick up stations that I either don't listen to anymore, or can get on IR. Actually...the IR listen-ability of the local stations is poor. While Czech and UK stations are crystal clear.
post #5411 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinolau View Post

Internet Radio sounds great! There is no Mono/Stereo OSD indicator while listening to IR. Only the brief pop-up at the bottom of the screen indicating that the MRX has switched to Stereo Internet Radio Media. My only concern with the FM Tuner is because I don't want to go out a year or so down the road to find that it doesn't function properly. Some might think that with Internet Radio, there's no need for concern about the FM section. If that were the case, then there would be no FM Tuner at all. I don't mind making the extra effort to verify that everything works fine. I just rather not spend $100 on an antenna to pick up stations that I either don't listen to anymore, or can get on IR. Actually...the IR listen-ability of the local stations is poor. While Czech and UK stations are crystal clear.

Are you using any FM antenna at all?
post #5412 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoistman View Post

Hi - scanned through this forum today as i have an MRX 500 and been experiencing picture problems that cross both Blu Ray and standard DVD to varying degrees on 2 players.

Getting intermittent picture drop out - originally thought this to be a Blu Ray player issue and contacted the manufacturers (Oppo 83SE). Their advice had been updating firmware on the player - i was about to do this when I thought I would try my original Naim DVD player with a standard DVD (Watchmen) - the same thing happened. The picture seems to drop out or blink to a black screen for a second and increase in frequency as the film progresses (worst occurrence to date is Transformers 2, Book of Eli Blu Rays - making them unwatchable - the sound seems unaffected on all. Thus it would seem the players are not the issue (as I think I saw commented on here ref Oppo Tech). The Naim is connected with Component into the Anthem processor. Oddly it does not happen with all films but still, several.

Also using a Gefen 2:1 switcher and perhaps this is a problem but to use the setup with a projector and a TV - the only option.

All the cables are good qualty so it remains a mystery!

Having changed from a Lexicon MC8 v1 to the Anthem I can say that the audio benefits with (untweaked) ARC applied are significant - just need a fix for the video

Thanks

Had the same issue. I saved settings and did a factory reset. Then I loaded settings again. Was 3 weeks ago and problem never returned. Hope that helps.
post #5413 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:

It's not completely beyond the realm of possibility that I lost this during set-up, but I don't know what FM antenna you're referring too. Piero mentioned the Magnum antenna used at the facility and I was looking into purchasing one, but they're very expensive considering that I have Internet radio and no real need for an antenna of that caliber. Is it possible to purchase the boxed antenna you're referring to?

Quote:

Are you using any FM antenna at all?

No...hence my shopping for one. I'm in a 3rd floor apartment that's about 80 above the river it faces with a clear line of sight of about 1/2 mile towards the local broadcast stations. My 11 year old Denon AVR3300 in the gym is picking up stations out the wazoo. The only reason I even looked closer at the stereo status on the MRX was because the Denon with the 30 year old Klipsch Heresy's sounded so much better using the FM Tuner than the MRX with ARC in the living room.
There is the possibility that there's a dead spot right where the 500 is in the cabinet. I'll disconnect everything and move the 500 into the gym to check if I have to. Though it would be simpler to connect an antenna.
post #5414 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah W View Post

Nick@anthem posted a month or so ago how to work around and manually set the receiver to decode 5.1 true HD sources as PLIIX codec as the setup menu does not list that option. I searched but could not find his post detailing how to do this. Does anybody please remember how to do this or have a link to this post.
Much appreciated.
Noah

How many speakers have you told the MRX you have? If you have 5.1 then PLIIx will not be an option since it is used to take a 5.1 signal and convert it to 7.1. If you have a 7.1 system then you must tell the MRX.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #5415 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen Shot View Post

Is this functionality different than the docking stations currently used by Pioneer, Denon and other companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

I'm not familiar with the docks the other companies have. Though my understanding (at least on the older docks sold with equipment by the big box stores) is that a lot of the docks only use the analog line outs.

What the current equipment does, especially on the higher end stuff, I could not say.

If I had an iPod...I'd be leaning towards something like the iMod from Red Wine Audio
post #5416 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:

No...hence my shopping for one. I'm in a 3rd floor apartment that's about 80 above the river it faces with a clear line of sight of about 1/2 mile towards the the local broadcast stations. My 11 year old Denon AVR3300 in the gym is picking up stations out the wazoo. The only reason I even looked closer at the stereo status on the MRX was because the Denon with the 30 year old Klipsch Heresy's sounded so much better using the FM Tuner than the MRX with ARC in the living room.
There is the possibility that there's a dead spot right where the 500 is in the cabinet. I'll disconnect everything and move the 500 into the gym to check if I have to. Though it would be simpler to connect an antenna.

Connect the included antenna. FM reception is poor without it - very good with it.
post #5417 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 06:26 PM

Jayray,
I have a 7.1 channel system. For 5.1 sources I like to matrix it so that my rears are active as well.
Thanks,
Noah
post #5418 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah W View Post

Jayray,
I have a 7.1 channel system. For 5.1 sources I like to matrix it so that my rears are active as well.
Thanks,
Noah

Noah,
Then you should see PLIIx as an option. Although it may show as PLII. Is this not a choice?
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #5419 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I know the four HDMI inputs can be renamed but can someone tell me what the factory defaults inputs are set at? I think HDMI1 is BDP but not sure what HDMI 2,3 and 4 are.
post #5420 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Hi all,

Finally installed everything today with my 700. Just ran the ARC and now am getting a message that I can't upload the ARC because can't find valid anthem processor. Using Vista7 with Keyspan USB adapter.

Help please.
post #5421 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcdn22 View Post

Hi all,

Finally installed everything today with my 700. Just ran the ARC and now am getting a message that I can't upload the ARC because can't find valid anthem processor. Using Vista7 with Keyspan USB adapter.

Help please.

BTW, I uploaded the ARC software from disc and then installed 3.0.1 over it. It was 3.0 before that. I have also installed 50.04 firmware.
post #5422 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 09:05 PM

Nevermind, just restarted computer 3 times and it finally worked. Not sure why.
post #5423 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

No...hence my shopping for one. I'm in a 3rd floor apartment that's about 80 above the river it faces with a clear line of sight of about 1/2 mile towards the local broadcast stations. My 11 year old Denon AVR3300 in the gym is picking up stations out the wazoo. The only reason I even looked closer at the stereo status on the MRX was because the Denon with the 30 year old Klipsch Heresy's sounded so much better using the FM Tuner than the MRX with ARC in the living room.

Without an antenna, I don't care how close the radio station is... you are going to have a hard time getting it to come in and most likely if you do pickup a station near by, it will be mono as the signal will appear weak without an antenna.

If you have other receivers with antenna's, borrow the antenna off one of them. Or even simply go to radio snack and pickup a cheap antenna. It may not be the best antenna, but for local stations it should pull them in fine.

Also keep in mind, just cause the radio station is located down the street, in a building with a big sign on it for the station... does not mean the brodcast antenna for the station is down the street. Often the actual broadcast antenna is up on a mountian somewhere.

If your other receivers are picking up stations without an antenna (unless they are a cheap alarm clock radio with a built in antenna or that use the power cord as an antenna) I would be concerned. High end equipment almost never has a built in antenna and therefore if it was picking up stations without an external antenna it means it is picking up the radio stations just from the case of the equipment or the electronics inside! No equipment is perfectly shielded, so picking up really strong local signals may be possible... but if it is pulling in lots of stations that would be very surprising and a bad sign for the shielding of the receiver.

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #5424 of 17007 Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo7479 View Post

so palyed with cables and found out that the radio is the source and the hdmi out. only when I've got the cable touching or near the tv hdmi input or the recievers output does it pick up the radio coaxial antenna what ever is beside the out put hdmi.

just like any radio connection its audible when the connection is made from the hdmi output to the tv(connection made) unplug it from the tv it gone or unplugged from reciever.

some how the metal in the hdmi cable is picking it up and acting like a antenna

I have this problem when my receiver is off ,I'm getting a radio station out of my sub which turns my sub on , if I unplug the receiver the radio station is gone , I'm using RG6 quad cable , my radio station are not tuned in and never will
post #5425 of 17007 Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 AM

So here are my results. I have no idea what they mean. I am running all inwall for LCR (Noble Fidelity L-82), Noble fidelity L-85 in-ceilings, and 2 in-wall passive subs in my front wall but they are run off the same LFE so effectively one. A compromise I made for the new basement design. So basically, it is what it is, I can't move anything around. It sounds awesome to me and I love it...as does my wife.
LL
LL
LL
post #5426 of 17007 Old 06-26-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcdn22 View Post

So here are my results. I have no idea what they mean. I am running all in wall for CR (Noble Fidelity L-82), Noble fidelity L-85 in-ceilings, and 2 in-wall passive subs in my front wall but they are run off the same LFE so effectively one. A compromise I made for the new basement design. So basically, it is what it is, I can't move anything around. It sounds awesome to me and I love it...as does my wife.

What are your sub models and specs. You have a big dip from 50 Hz to 20 Hz which prevents you from getting some of the really good concussive LFE. Have you disabled any crossover settings in the subs, they should be disabled or turned to the HIGHEST setting, usually 150-180 Hz. If you can't do anything with your other speakers then enjoy since you really like the sound at this point. The sub positioning sounds to be fixed as well, so check the settings on the back and see if you can improve the low freq. from there. If you do change settings, ARC needs to be run again so it can hear the new response.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #5427 of 17007 Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I am back up and running. So far so good One question I have is how do you bring up the OSD menu that shows what resolution and codec? It's the same OSD that pops up when you turn the MRX on and also shows when exiting the setup menu. Is there a button on the remote to display this?
post #5428 of 17007 Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am back up and running. So far so good One question I have is how do you bring up the OSD menu that shows what resolution and codec? It's the same OSD that pops up when you turn the MRX on and also shows when exiting the setup menu. Is there a button on the remote to display this?

I think you want the info button on the remote. Pressed repeatedly, you will see various info on codec, video resolution, firmware versions etc.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #5429 of 17007 Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you want the info button on the remote. Pressed repeatedly, you will see various info on codec, video resolution, firmware versions etc.
John

That only displays it on the MRX's display and not via the OSD.
post #5430 of 17007 Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:

What are your sub models and specs. You have a big dip from 50 Hz to 20 Hz which prevents you from getting some of the really good concussive LFE. Have you disabled any crossover settings in the subs, they should be disabled or turned to the HIGHEST setting, usually 150-180 Hz. If you can't do anything with your other speakers then enjoy since you really like the sound at this point. The sub positioning sounds to be fixed as well, so check the settings on the back and see if you can improve the low freq. from there. If you do change settings, ARC needs to be run again so it can hear the new response.
John

They are also Noble Fidelity L-10 but I don't think they make these ones themselves. They look like this Ridley Acoustics one: http://www.hd.ca/ridleyacoustics/iwsd250.php but slightly different specs:

Frequency Range: 20Hz to 500Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Power Handling: 250 watts Program

I knew they wouldn't be ideal so then I went with two of them in the front wall. They are run off of one amp that is pretty identical to this one but with the Noble Fidelity name on it: http://www.hd.ca/ridleyacoustics/amp500.php

I have the phase set a 0 and crossover frequency at 80, but I switched it to bypass so I don't think it's using the crossover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page