Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 182 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

What are your sub models and specs. You have a big dip from 50 Hz to 20 Hz which prevents you from getting some of the really good concussive LFE. Have you disabled any crossover settings in the subs, they should be disabled or turned to the HIGHEST setting, usually 150-180 Hz. If you can't do anything with your other speakers then enjoy since you really like the sound at this point. The sub positioning sounds to be fixed as well, so check the settings on the back and see if you can improve the low freq. from there. If you do change settings, ARC needs to be run again so it can hear the new response.
John

They are also Noble Fidelity L-10 but I don't think they make these ones themselves. They look like this Ridley Acoustics one: http://www.hd.ca/ridleyacoustics/iwsd250.php but slightly different specs:

Frequency Range: 20Hz to 500Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Power Handling: 250 watts Program

I knew they wouldn't be ideal so then I went with two of them in the front wall. They are run off of one amp that is pretty identical to this one but with the Noble Fidelity name on it: http://www.hd.ca/ridleyacoustics/amp500.php

I have the phase set a 0 and crossover frequency at 80, but I switched it to bypass so I don't think it's using the crossover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

That only displays it on the MRX's display and not via the OSD.

I don't think that displays on the OSD, only on the MRX display.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcdn22 View Post

They are also Noble Fidelity L-10 but I don't think they make these ones themselves. They look like this Ridley Acoustics one: http://www.hd.ca/ridleyacoustics/iwsd250.php but slightly different specs:

Frequency Range: 20Hz to 500Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Power Handling: 250 watts Program

I knew they wouldn't be ideal so then I went with two of them in the front wall. They are run off of one amp that is pretty identical to this one but with the Noble Fidelity name on it: http://www.hd.ca/ridleyacoustics/amp500.php

I have the phase set a 0 and crossover frequency at 80, but I switched it to bypass so I don't think it's using the crossover.

So you bypassed before you ran ARC? The spec to 20 Hz may not be able to get there at higher volume so it is somewhat irrelevant. You need power to play at that freq. and at reasonably high volume levels otherwise, as you see in you sub chart, the very fast drop after 50 Hz.
John
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think that displays on the OSD, only on the MRX display.
John

It does only when you first turn the MRX on and also when you exit the setup screen. Press the setup button on your remote then press it again to exit setup and you will see the OSD show what I'm talking about
Old 06-26-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks5000 View Post

I have this problem when my receiver is off ,I'm getting a radio station out of my sub which turns my sub on , if I unplug the receiver the radio station is gone , I'm using RG6 quad cable , my radio station are not tuned in and never will

I've messed around today, still no solution. I'm starting to think that the wiring inside is touching or screwed up in my receiver.

Could it be that the case is acting as a antenna?

I'll be contacting Anthem tech on this, as its not cable shielding causing it.

I'm not the only one, is a reassuring thing and might be build related?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

I have been using Apple TV with my MRX700 for some time. Although I have two modded Tivo's, I also watch a number of MP4 conversions of bit torrents via my Mac to Apple TV to HT.

And, the combination of Anthem Logic Music audio with streaming ITunes through Apple TV to MRX sounds really good. In fact, good enough so that my Wadia i170 Transport was sold some time ago.

Yes I bought Apple tv the day after the Anthem. Better networking, and airplay. Was a way to give great sound great functionality.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:

So you bypassed before you ran ARC? The spec to 20 Hz may not be able to get there at higher volume so it is somewhat irrelevant. You need power to play at that freq. and at reasonably high volume levels otherwise, as you see in you sub chart, the very fast drop after 50 Hz.
John
John

Yes, I bypassed before I ran ARC. I'll probably try and run it again for fun but otherwise just live with it.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcdn22 View Post

Yes, I bypassed before I ran ARC. I'll probably try and run it again for fun but otherwise just live with it.

Thanks

If you ever decide to do a sub upgrade, one with a 20 Hz or below with good volume level will do the trick. Have fun.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

That only displays it on the MRX's display and not via the OSD.

Eric-t, unfortianatly today, the OSD of resolution/codec only appears when doing things like exiting the setup menu. A few people have requested the ability to see it when doing things like hitting the info button as there MRX's are hidden and they cannot see the front display, but I don't believe it is an option yet.

You might send Anthem a note letting them know you would you have a feature request. Others have sent them a note, but the more people they hear from, the higher up on the future feature list it will move.

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Liked: 11
Does anyone know if Anthem has any plans to provide an iPod/iPad/iPhone app for the MRX receivers?

I have apps for my Verizon set-top box and Apple TV. Would be great to have an app to power on/off, select source, volume, etc.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

If you ever decide to do a sub upgrade, one with a 20 Hz or below with good volume level will do the trick. Have fun.
John

Of course I have prewired for this just in case
Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 AM

Liked: 11
Stuck a piece of cable with a 75ohm connector on the end of it into the FM antenna connection on the MRX. Now I'm seeing the OSD change from Mono/Stereo/Mono as I tune in stations. I officially don't care about this issue anymore, since I have IR. I just wanted to confirm that it worked properly.

Now...I'd like to see a universal or at least documented GUI format to use for usb drives. Or possibly a customizable GUI, since there are so many different media storage options available. I'll add this to the wish list...
Old 06-26-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It does only when you first turn the MRX on and also when you exit the setup screen. Press the setup button on your remote then press it again to exit setup and you will see the OSD show what I'm talking about

When I hit setup and then exit I don't see anything on my TV or on the MRX display.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 06-26-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I hit setup and then exit I don't see anything on my TV or on the MRX display.
John

Interesting. When I hit setup on the remote then hit it again to exit, the OSD pops up at the bottom and shows resolution and codec Can anyone else verify they see the same thing?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone with DirecTV verify something for me. When I tune to a music channel and leave it on that channel and wait for the music channel screen saver to pop up (scrolling banner), I get white flashes every few seconds like a handshake issue. This only happens when the screen saver pops up.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Can someone with DirecTV verify something for me. When I tune to a music channel and leave it on that channel and wait for the music channel screen saver to pop up (scrolling banner), I get white flashes every few seconds like a handshake issue. This only happens when the screen saver pops up.

I have direct tv just tried it no problems!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:52 PM

C&C welcome!

The center channel had the soft dome tweeter (from a Zaph Audio SR71 design) inverted during a recent move (the movers packed a speaker on top of this speaker, with the soft grill of both facing up), so I think it's damaged. It sounds like vocals are coming through a tunnel. ARC shows less high frequency than the other speakers, although I'm surprised to see all of them dropping off before 20khz.

It surprises me that ARC makes no correction to the ~300hz mode in any of the front channels, not even if I lower the max correction frequency to 3000hz to try and free up DSP resources. I lowered it slightly from 5000hz as no corrections are really needed in that area.

Fronts: Avance Epsilon 910AV
Center: Zaph Audio SR71
Rear: Mirage Omnisat V2
Sub: Epik Legend

Any comments from the community? Damaged center channel aside, I think it sounds pretty good.
LL
LL
Old 06-26-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboby View Post

Could be my box which is an HR21-100 causing a handshake type issue when the screen saver comes on.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. When I hit setup on the remote then hit it again to exit, the OSD pops up at the bottom and shows resolution and codec Can anyone else verify they see the same thing?

Ok now I know what you're referring to. You have to have Status Message ON. I keep it off so it wasn't displaying the OSD when I exited the setup menu. There is no way as, tigger mentioned, to bring that up.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 06-26-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok now I know what you're referring to. You have to have Status Message ON. I keep it off so it wasn't displaying the OSD when I exited the setup menu. There is no way as, tigger mentioned, to bring that up.
John

I was just about to ask you that and I also noticed that if you have it set to "Through" mode and press setup and then exit out it won't show either
Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboby View Post

Quote:

Could be my box which is an HR21-100 causing a handshake type issue when the screen saver comes on.

Confirmed it was my box. I did a reset and problem gone

Everything is working great on the new receiver running the beta firmware. Glad to be back up and running
Old 06-26-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just about to ask you that and I also noticed that if you have it set to "Through" mode and press setup and then exit out it won't show either

I use Auto
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 06-26-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use Auto
John

I do as well but wasn't sure if you had yours on "Through" mode or your status message off Thanks for checking.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Confirmed it was my box. I did a reset and problem gone

Everything is working great on the new receiver running the beta firmware. Glad to be back up and running

Glad to hear you got it figured out
Old 06-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Hi everyone after finally getting hold of the keyspan I have run the ARC in my lounge. Please if the resident experts could advise if i need to change anything.

My system is M&K THX 750 LCR and M&K Sur55 and a martin logan desecnt i sub

Thanks in advance
Old 06-26-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=stepchal;20621237]Hi everyone after finally getting hold of the keyspan I have run the ARC in my lounge. Please if the resident experts could advise if i need to change anything.

Can you post your Target window. Based on your subs specs, make sure any crossover settings are bypassed and the notch filter is not active. Then remeasure and post. We may be able to increase you response to 20 Hz.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 AM

[quote=jayray;20621465]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchal View Post

Hi everyone after finally getting hold of the keyspan I have run the ARC in my lounge. Please if the resident experts could advise if i need to change anything.

Can you post your Target window. Based on your subs specs, make sure any crossover settings are bypassed and the notch filter is not active. Then remeasure and post. We may be able to increase you response to 20 Hz.
John

Hi John thanks for the reply where do i get the target window from?
I have the following settings on the ML sub
Phase 90 degrees
25Hz level +1 Db
50 Hz level Zero
Low pass filter set to highest value 80 Hz
High Pass filter Out set to off
Level set to 3.5

this is the control panel so how to bypass and where is the notch filter

thanks again :-)
Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
[quote=stepchal;20622070]
Quote:

Hi John thanks for the reply where do i get the target window from?
I have the following settings on the ML sub
Phase 90 degrees
25Hz level +1 Db
50 Hz level Zero
Low pass filter set to highest value 80 Hz
High Pass filter Out set to off
Level set to 3.5

this is the control panel so how to bypass and where is the notch filter

thanks again :-)

In advanced mode open this solution then press the target button. This will show the target screen that you can paste in for us.

You have quite a peak in the sub at about 35hz. I would try setting your 25hz setting on the sub to 0 (maybe less). Is your sub located in a corner?

Not sure why you have your phase at 90 either. If it's in the front with the mains it probably should be set to 0. This won't show up in ARC though.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

Hi John,

Since v50.04 we've done what we can regarding popping. Feedback from beta testers is the same - while pops are not gone, they're no longer that intrusive. If we were to mute things any more it would be back where it started, with v40.08 parameters and the first fraction of a second missing from music tracks. In practice I find that at most only one pop is heard during a movie, for example when DD 2.0 intro turns into DTS-HD main title. When skipping music tracks it's sometimes there and sometimes isn't... this is why it's such a "joy" to try and fix!

I noticed it is still present as well but not all the time. It is acceptable to me.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 AM

Thanks Shrike645 I will get the target from the screen and will adjust the sub accordingly and see what ARC calculates. I will let you know later in the week.

Thanks again for the advice from the resident gurus ;-)

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems