Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 16568 Old 12-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ill try that, thanks for the quick reply

Jeff

EDIT: no change, still not getting a signal the PJ can recognize

Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're correct!
Henry Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 16568 Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Check that the HDMI plug is fully inserted STRAIGHT into the socket at each end of the cable -- with nothing tugging it any direction (e.g., the weight of the cable). HDMI plugs are just a friction fit, and it only takes a little shift in the socket to screw up the connection.

Set the output resolution to 480p/60 (not 480i), YCbCr 4:4:4 with Deep Color OFF. (NOTE: I don't own an MRX so I'm not really sure what flexibility it offers for these settings.) This is the "simplest" HDMI signal.

Select a Source that doesn't have any video connected to it (FM might be a good choice) and see if you can get video on-screen that's generated inside the MRX -- e.g., volume level displays. This eliminates any source device issues as the possible cause.

If you can get 480p video, then try 1080i, and finally try 1080p/60. Leave 1080p/24 to last.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #543 of 16568 Old 12-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Check that the HDMI plug is fully inserted STRAIGHT into the socket at each end of the cable -- with nothing tugging it any direction (e.g., the weight of the cable). HDMI plugs are just a friction fit, and it only takes a little shift in the socket to screw up the connection.

Set the output resolution to 480p/60 (not 480i), YCbCr 4:4:4 with Deep Color OFF. (NOTE: I don't own an MRX so I'm not really sure what flexibility it offers for these settings.) This is the "simplest" HDMI signal.

Select a Source that doesn't have any video connected to it (FM might be a good choice) and see if you can get video on-screen that's generated inside the MRX -- e.g., volume level displays. This eliminates any source device issues as the possible cause.

If you can get 480p video, then try 1080i, and finally try 1080p/60. Leave 1080p/24 to last.
--Bob

I did everything you mentioned except the parts where I don't have settings a(4:4:4 AND DEEP COLOR)

Nothing

I get sound from all sources and no video, but if I plug in my projector to either source they work for video.

I did another "factory" reset just for a kick at the cat and still nothing.

Sigh.

Guess I wait until tuesday and try and exchange the unit, but I know they only had 2 including mine.

Jeff

edit: just mentioning I have zero video from the receiver of any kind

Henry Ford
post #544 of 16568 Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
testing my new MRX-500 now!!!!

GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ANTHEM)

post #545 of 16568 Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by artex4special View Post

testing my new MRX-500 now!!!!

Let us know your conclusions ASAP Are you a Rotel user? Let us know how the 500 compares to the Rotel.
post #546 of 16568 Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

I particularly want to know when the MRX earns that coveted 5th exclamation mark.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #547 of 16568 Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Let us know your conclusions ASAP Are you a Rotel user? Let us know how the 500 compares to the Rotel.

i was a rotel user. just sold my rotel rsx-1058. def a warmer sound. only have about 3 hours break in time. sounds quite good from the start. have not tried the ARC yet.

post #548 of 16568 Old 12-05-2010, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

It's not enough to just set the PS3 for Bitstreaming in general. You need to go into its HDMI Audio setup and check the boxes for the allowed output formats. Unlike other Blu-Ray players, the PS3 establishes the allowed output formats during setup, rather than figuring it out during each HDMI handshake.

Since you previously used your PS3 with a different receiver, those presets may not be set correctly for use with the MRX.

Go into Settings and redo the "automatic" HDMI Video, and then Audio setups and that should get all those presets correct for you. At the end of each of those the allowed choices found by the PS3 will be presented. You must Accept those new settings for them to actually take effect.
--Bob

I tried to set up my PS3 HDMI output automatically, then manually, and still no signal. True HD and DTS MA were both checked after auto and manual set up. On the bright side, everything is sounding great with LPCM. I really hope Nick will stop by and comment on this, or some other PS3 slim/MRX 500 users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne View Post

Houston we have a problem...

I hooked up my MRX500 a few hours ago and it defaulted to the FM tuner selection and I had a picture going through to my projector.

When I turned the input to TV or to my PS3 the picture turned into a block of squares, then to a green screen of distortion.

I went back to the tuner and same thing.

Then I went through the setup process and the quick setup with no success.

I'm thinking it is a hand shake issue with the projector, but why would it have been fine until I went to the other inputs and why would it be messed when I returned with no adjustments?

I am at a loss.

You can't get an image through the 500 with any source?

I am getting an image from my PS3 "through" my 500 and then to the pj. My only issue is bitstreaming lossless audio from my PS3 slim. I keep getting "no signal" on the display. This is looking more and more like HDMI weirdness with the MRX 500's...
post #549 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

You can't get an image through the 500 with any source?

I get audio through but no video.

I've even tried the "through" setting and nothing.

I had video for three minutes until I switched from FM tuner to my sources that were already setup for hdmi through my pervious yamaha receiver.

After the MRX tried to sort them it stopped putting video to the PJ, but the PJ is still getting a signal of pixalation from the MRX.

There is nothing at all for video even system generated from the MRX.

Connections are all good or I wouldn't be getting audio.

I just want to reset the handshake and go from there, but who knows how to do that.

Jeff

Henry Ford
post #550 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 AM

Well this is just messed up!

I did 3 factory default resets in a row and the third one took!

I still can't get my PS3 to link up, but at least the PJ and Cable boxes are going through.

What a pain in the a$$

Jeff

Henry Ford
post #551 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:

i was a rotel user. just sold my rotel rsx-1058. def a warmer sound. only have about 3 hours break in time. sounds quite good from the start. have not tried the ARC yet.

I too am a Rotel user at present and soon will have the MRX 500 in place so am very keen to hear your thoughts and feedback as you have had some more time with the amp and also the difference ARC makes.

Thanks
post #552 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I still can't get my PS3 to link up, but at least the PJ and Cable boxes are going through.

What a pain in the a$$

Jeff

Have you talked to anthem tech? I know they have PS3s.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #553 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles17 View Post

I too am a Rotel user at present and soon will have the MRX 500 in place so am very keen to hear your thoughts and feedback as you have had some more time with the amp and also the difference ARC makes.

Thanks

i plan on testing the ARC Wed. i will let you know. Again, out of the box with just the distance settings is sounding awesome. def a great upgrade for my HT

post #554 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 AM

and the MRX will not pass 1080P for me no matter what.

If I set it to video output of 1080P I get a blue screen through my projector when I try to use my ps3 at 1080p output, 1080i is fine.

If I set it on auto or through the 1080p signal will not pass from my ps3, it will only pass 1080i maximum.

Yet, my old Yamaha would pass through without a problem, I have looked at all the settings and I am 100% positive I don't have a source issue.

If I set the video output to my 1080p projector at 1080p as opposed to auto or through, then I get really bad picture shutter when I use my 1080i cable box as the source.

The up conversion sucks to put it mildly.

Henry Ford
post #555 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

i plan on testing the ARC Wed. i will let you know. Again, out of the box with just the distance settings is sounding awesome. def a great upgrade for my HT

Great to hear. Look forward to hearing the impact ARC makes.

Am hoping to have mine all set up by next Monday latest.
post #556 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What a pain in the a$$

Jeff

Quote:

and the MRX will not pass 1080P for me no matter what.

If I set it to video output of 1080P I get a blue screen through my projector when I try to use my ps3 at 1080p output, 1080i is fine.

If I set it on auto or through the 1080p signal will not pass from my ps3, it will only pass 1080i maximum.

Yet, my old Yamaha would pass through without a problem, I have looked at all the settings and I am 100% positive I don't have a source issue.

If I set the video output to my 1080p projector at 1080p as opposed to auto or through, then I get really bad picture shutter when I use my 1080i cable box as the source.

The up conversion sucks to put it mildly.

Believe me! I feel your pain... This HDMI issue has been a real nightmare for me too. I sure hope they can fix these issues with a firmware update.
post #557 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Believe me! I feel your pain... This HDMI issue has been a real nightmare for me too. I sure hope they can fix these issues with a firmware update.

Maybe it has something to do with Alberta power Seriously, if you haven't called Anthem do so immediately. They are the best bet to solve these issues. If you have contacted them, let us know what they said.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #558 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

For those of you who are new to Anthem, let me reinforce what JAYRAY just posted. If you are having problems with your new MRX receiver by all means get in touch with Anthem tech support -- either by email or phone.

These guys are WORLDS apart from what you may have become used to from other electronics companies.

They may not be able to wave a magic wand and make your problem vanish, but they WILL take care of you. Just have the patience to work with them as they suggest things to try to diagnose your problem.
--Bob

post #559 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post
Maybe it has something to do with Alberta power Seriously, if you haven't called Anthem do so immediately. They are the best bet to solve these issues. If you have contacted them, let us know what they said.
John
Quote:
For those of you who are new to Anthem, let me reinforce what JAYRAY just posted. If you are having problems with your new MRX receiver by all means get in touch with Anthem tech support -- either by email or phone.

These guys are WORLDS apart from what you may have become used to from other electronics companies.

They may not be able to wave a magic wand and make your problem vanish, but they WILL take care of you. Just have the patience to work with them as they suggest things to try to diagnose your problem.
--Bob
I'm off this Wednesday, so I'll try and find some time to give tech a call then.
post #560 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:

--Bob

really?

here is the question I asked this morning:

Subject: MRX500 handshake issue

Hello I need someone to call me to explain how to reset the handshake settings on my MRX so I can get it to hookup to my Z700 projector.

I had video for three minutes until I went through the actual setup process and now there is nothing but pixalation from the MRX to the Z700

Jeff

I included my phone number, both cell and home

Here is the reply:

Good afternoon Jeff,

Which video output resolution are you using?

Try setting it to 1080p or through:

Setup

Video output Config

Resolution : 1080p / Through

____________________________________________________________ ___

No phone call as requested, only a BS reply from the owners manual?

I replied that I would look after it myself as the response, 5 hours after I sent the email, was far less helpful than I expected from a company as renowned as Anthem.

As it stands I have 1080i through my ps3, 1080i through the cable box and I have no ability to upconvert.

I pray to god that ARC goes smoothly tomorrow or I will be seriously second guessing my call on this receiver.

Jeff

Henry Ford
post #561 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

really?

here is the question I asked this morning:

Subject: MRX500 handshake issue

Hello I need someone to call me to explain how to reset the handshake settings on my MRX so I can get it to hookup to my Z700 projector.

I had video for three minutes until I went through the actual setup process and now there is nothing but pixalation from the MRX to the Z700

Jeff

I included my phone number, both cell and home

Here is the reply:

Good afternoon Jeff,

Which video output resolution are you using?

Try setting it to 1080p or through:

Setup

Video output Config

Resolution : 1080p / Through

____________________________________________________________ ___

No phone call as requested, only a BS reply from the owners manual?

I replied that I would look after it myself as the response, 5 hours after I sent the email, was far less helpful than I expected from a company as renowned as Anthem.

As it stands I have 1080i through my ps3, 1080i through the cable box and I have no ability to upconvert.

I pray to god that ARC goes smoothly tomorrow or I will be seriously second guessing my call on this receiver.

Jeff

Ouch! That hurts...

I can't say that I'm surprised. That is your typical tech support, the customer is a complete jughead, response. Perhaps I won't place that call to tech afterall.

Where is Nick when you need him?
post #562 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

okay, i understand your frustration but don't you think its YOUR responsibility to call them? why wouldn't you just pick up the phone and make the call. you'll get someone to talk to and they will run you through everything.

post #563 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

okay, i understand your frustration but don't you think its YOUR responsibility to call them? why wouldn't you just pick up the phone and make the call. you'll get someone to talk to and they will run you through everything.

get me a number and I'll call, trying to get a tech number direct is like trying to pick the locks at Fort Knox.

Henry Ford
post #564 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

really?

Yes, really. I've seen it time and again.

Try working with them to figure this out. It sounds to me like you have an unusual problem, possibly even a hardware problem, but I've had the advantage of following your posts here, which I doubt they have seen.

If all I had was the email you posted, I too would probably have assumed all you needed was an answer from the manual.
--Bob

post #565 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

get me a number and I'll call, trying to get a tech number direct is like trying to pick the locks at Fort Knox.

http://anthemav.com/contact-us/contact-us

--Bob

post #566 of 16568 Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:

http://anthemav.com/contact-us/contact-us

--Bob

I called the support number listed on anthem's website a couple of weeks ago and left a message. I received a return phone call the next morning. The tech guy went beyond to answer my questions and make sure I had perspective and understanding on related matters. He was really professional and seemed committed to providing a high level of service.
post #567 of 16568 Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 AM

Thank you for the number.

I'm not trying to be an ass over this, I am just frustrated that every receiver I've ever had has been plug and play and this thing I have to stand on one foot while facing east to get it to work.

I'm not a newbie, if I was this would have been in a box in 5 mins.

Thanks for the help you guys, honest

Jeff

Henry Ford
post #568 of 16568 Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry to read that some folks are having video/handshaking issues. I am sure that Nick and the rest of the support staff can get to the bottom of this.

I do not have a PJ, but my MRX700 works seamlessly with my 58" Panny Plasma.

Stan
post #569 of 16568 Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Ouch! That hurts...

I can't say that I'm surprised. That is your typical tech support, the customer is a complete jughead, response. Perhaps I won't place that call to tech afterall.

Where is Nick when you need him?

As others, and Nick, have noted previously, Anthem/Nick aren't monitoring this forum consistently. Better to contact Anthem directly (it's pretty easy as Bob demonstrated yesterday), so they can get all the information that pertains to your situation - rather than a few sentences in a forum post. All indications point to Anthem taking customer service very seriously. Suggest you give them a shot before jumping to contusions.
post #570 of 16568 Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 AM

I just thought of something: we know that analog signals are converted to digital using 24/96 ADC in MRX receivers. This is done to facilitate ARC in the digital domain. What happens with digital signals, though? Are they upsampled to 24/96 before processing as well?

There is a lot of (virtual) ink is spilled on getting bit perfect digital audio from media servers and computers. People use XBMC or Foobar2000 or JRiver media player to take advantage of WASAPI (Windows Audio Session) and send the bits from the files they play unmolested by the OS. The promise is that if you have a file of any word length and sampling rate, it will be sent as-is to the outboard DAC. Can ARC do its thing on the linear PCM signals without changing their word length and sampling rate or they all must be upsampled to 24/96 before processing? I guess 'bit perfect' does not mean much in that scenario.

What about SPDIF from a red book CD player? Is it also upsampled from 16/44.1 to 24/96 before processing?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page