Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 16568 Old 11-12-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

This would be true of the BDP-83 but I have the BDP-83SE so I would prefer to use the 83SE's DACs. Although if I had the MRX-500/700 to test I could see which configuration would sound best but I would assume the DACs in the 83SE would be better. But you never know.

Bill

I will do this, this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 16568 Old 11-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
[quote=TKO1;19479875]If you are only intending to use the analog outputs it makes no sense to buy this receiver as its key differentiation from other similar receivers/amplifiers is to offer ARC in a less expensive package which makes it extremely appealing (as this thread and the other MRX thread has aptly demonstrated).

If you plan on feeding it analog input and then attempting to use ARC it won't be upsampled/requantised to 24bits like the D2v does with analog inputs and it will still be using the DACs and signal path in the MRX. Therefore all you are really looking at is gain on a wire....

P.S. I am not arguing that the OPPO BDP-83SE doesn't have a high-quality analog signal path which it does....

Cheers.

Tony,
I don't just listen to analog. Don't get me wrong I love HDMI, I watch Blue Rays all the time. My Onkyo with HDMI with audysee sounds great. I just think a comp like Anthem has to make a better sounding amp compared to Onkyo. Do you guy's think the sound will be allot better than my Onkyo? I was at a Anthem dealer today who had a 500 connected to studio 100s ( with out ARC, and to tell you the truth I was not impressed at all? But that is with out ARC.
post #33 of 16568 Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

Bill. if you want true analog nirvana, you need to have either a separate 2 channel tube system, or a tube preamplifier with a HT bypass. IMO, if I wanted to stay in the analog domain and I owned your BDP83-SE I would be investing in a VTL 5.5 or something similar with HT bypass before upgrading your Onkyo 886. Just my opinion - not sure what it is worth.

Stan,

Your opinion is worth quite a bit IMO. I had both a Rogue Audio Perseus and a TAD TADAC tube preamps with HT Bypass. I regret selling the Perseus but I just had to have a preamp with HT Bypass and bass management. I will definitely check out the VTL preamps.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #34 of 16568 Old 11-12-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I will do this, this weekend.

Brian,

That would be great, thanks. What are your thoughts on the MRX-700 so far?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #35 of 16568 Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 PM

Liked: 10
I'm seeing conflicting information on the official Anthem site and posts here versus the reviews.

Reviews say 7.1 channel surround, which is expected. Then anthem page says 7 channels, but photos of the back don't show two pairs of surround (sides and rears).

Also, I see 7 channels 120watts per channel, but then something about only 120 watts in 2 channel mode... and then 90 watts in 5 channel mode. What about someone with a 7.1 surround setup? how much power will be going to my Paradigm studio 100s?
post #36 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
[quote=HeffeMusic;19480323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post
Tony,
I don't just listen to analog. Don't get me wrong I love HDMI, I watch Blue Rays all the time. My Onkyo with HDMI with audysee sounds great. I just think a comp like Anthem has to make a better sounding amp compared to Onkyo. Do you guy's think the sound will be allot better than my Onkyo? I was at a Anthem dealer today who had a 500 connected to studio 100s ( with out ARC, and to tell you the truth I was not impressed at all? But that is with out ARC.
I have found that trying to make audio buying choices by relying upon listening experiences in an AV Dealer's sound room is like buying a new car off of the auto dealer's show room without taking the car out for an hour drive on different types of roads.

And, if your Anthem dealer did not run ARC yet, I am sure that he did not even run an SPL meter to equalize the speaker settings. Shame on him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Stan,

Your opinion is worth quite a bit IMO. Bill, I had both a Rogue Audio Perseus and a TAD TADAC tube preamps with HT Bypass. I regret selling the Perseus but I just had to have a preamp with HT Bypass and bass management. I will definitely check out the VTL preamps.

Bill
It is an unreasonable expectation that a surround preamplifier or receiver also provide the analog sound that many of us would like to hear. These modern day pre's and receivers are all superb digital based surround directed/designed machines and I finally gave in several years ago to music in the digital domain in my HT setup. My latest separate 2 channel setup was with a Manley Stingray and one of my Rega turntables.

Stan
post #37 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 05:17 AM

So. I'm trying to program my Marantz RC5000 remote for the MRX700. One small problem, sometimes we listen to Radio stations provided by our sat. provider via the sat box - which is connected via HDMI to the MRX. When switching to the "TV" station for the radio station, I used to be able to set my old receiver into its "Stereo" mode with 1 button. There is no 1 button for Stereo or any other listening modes on the MRX. Since I have the listening presets set to use a surround mode (AnCinema) for 2.0, it thinks the 2.0 coming from the sat radio station should be AnCinema.

If I set the listening preset to Stereo, all of the old style non-HD TV channels come in as stereo and I'd have to have the remote somehow turn on AnCinema or some other surround mode.

I can't just use the audio / arrow keys as if I do that, it would go to different settings depending on where it start - eg if I'm listening to an HD channel and hit audio up up up it'll end up on something different than if it starts from a 2.0pcm based channel.

This is especially important as my wife has no clue how to use any other remote than the Marantz for everything - all she does is hit the "Jazz" button and it does everything for her (except switching back to 2 ch stereo mode now!)

Are there any discrete remote codes for setting to Stereo mode? Or any other thoughts?
post #38 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 06:17 AM

I'm new to the forum and I've had the MRX-500 for two weeks now (very happy with it). Question about HDMI, sometimes the receiver reads NO SIGNAL and 480P and I get no picture/sound when I watch TV. I have the resolution set to auto and the DVD player works fine. I use a Comcast/Motorola box. Is this a HDMI handshake issue? My last receivers was a Yamaha RXV-440 so I have no experience with HDMI.

Thanks
post #39 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 06:40 AM

I received my MRX-500 a few days ago but have run into a problem and was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue:

When I set the video output to through pass (I like to leave the video signal alone) the tv and audio signal always drops for 3-5 seconds whenever I bring up the setup screen on the receiver. The signal also drops whenever I close the setup menu. This happens every time. Setting the video output to auto or 1080P does not cause any problems. I called my dealer and he tested his demo unit and he has the same problem and will be calling anthem for more information. Right now I have left the video output to auto until my dealer calls me back with an update from Anthem.

This happens whether I am watching cable via motorola box or PS3, basically across all my sources.

Does anyone else have this problem?
post #40 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
First, I'd like to thank the person who got the latest version of ARC off the Anthem website and stated that it fixed his "Invalid File Format" error. It also fixed mine.

Here are my measurements. Notice the drop off above 10k, which some have said not to worry about. I'm most impressed with my dealers design of my room and the acoustic treatments, which appear to have given me a very good Freq Resp before ARC ran.
LL
LL

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #41 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 07:25 AM

Yes. My MRX-700 had that issue two weeks ago with my Oppo BDP so passed it on to Anthem. The replicated it so they know there is an issue. Just use 1080P, if it gets a 1080P/24 singal it will pass it.
post #42 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

First, I'd like to thank the person who got the latest version of ARC off the Anthem website and stated that it fixed his "Invalid File Format" error. It also fixed mine.

Here are my measurements. Notice the drop off above 10k, which some have said not to worry about. I'm most impressed with my dealers design of my room and the acoustic treatments, which appear to have given me a very good Freq Resp before ARC ran.

I downloaded 3.01 today and it worked great. Anthem is great when it comes to customer support and fixing issue. I had one of the original D2's and they were on top of all of the issues.
post #43 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Does anyone know if ARC will run in Parallels on a Mac one will I have to use Bootcamp. It would be much easier to just use Parallels but earthier is fine. Just need to know before I start to install Windows. Thanks in advance

J.C.
post #44 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. Hall View Post

Does anyone know if ARC will run in Parallels on a Mac one will I have to use Bootcamp. It would be much easier to just use Parallels but earthier is fine. Just need to know before I start to install Windows. Thanks in advance

J.C.

The MRX Manual section on ARC says don't use Parallels. I don't know what the issue is.

In the prepro ARC discussions we have people using Bootcamp and others using Fusion 2 to get Windows on their Macs. i use Bootcamp.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #45 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 10:44 AM

Thank you for the quick answer. I think I will just go with bootcamp as it may be the more stable option anyways

J.C.
post #46 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 AM

Another question. Does it matter if I use the 64 bit or 32 bit version on Windows 7 on my Mac?
post #47 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 118
FWIW. I have 5 HT related programs (QSC, ADA, RTI, SIM2, Sonance) on various components that are Windows only and all work perfectly on my Mac with Fusion. I use a cheap USB/Serial adaptor.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #48 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I am considering upgrading my AVM-20, and this might be the tipping point that makes it affordable enough to justify. As I use a PC as my sole video source, and have tweaked it and set it up to do all my upscaling to my tastes, I really am only looking to get the HD audio formats, so is the MRX-300 going to give me at least the same quality of sound and flexibility that I had with my AVM-20? I would be using the pre-outs to my MCA-20 and 50 for amplification, but want to gain the new surround formats as well as ARC. Any thoughts from other users out there?
post #49 of 16568 Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. Hall View Post

Another question. Does it matter if I use the 64 bit or 32 bit version on Windows 7 on my Mac?

I just recently went Windows 7 and I chose 32 bit. 32 will be assimilated(borg) much quicker than 64. I would go with 32 for now. [/i]
post #50 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_G View Post

I am considering upgrading my AVM-20, and this might be the tipping point that makes it affordable enough to justify. As I use a PC as my sole video source, and have tweaked it and set it up to do all my upscaling to my tastes, I really am only looking to get the HD audio formats, so is the MRX-300 going to give me at least the same quality of sound and flexibility that I had with my AVM-20? I would be using the pre-outs to my MCA-20 and 50 for amplification, but want to gain the new surround formats as well as ARC. Any thoughts from other users out there?

sounds like a good solution to me.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #51 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

your welcome!

actually, i wanted to make sure that i didn't screw anything up the first time around when installing from the cd so i ended up removing the program (the downloaded one) and installed a fresh copy again from the cd. sure enough, i got the same issue. so i removed it, re-downloaded arc from the anthem website and all works fine. so i guess the cd version that i have is maybe corrupted or an issue with it. im just glad that its all working now, but for anyone else with this issue, download from the website and it should work.

post #52 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 10:37 AM
ASU

Just ordered an MRX-500 on thurs. Was thinking about buying a cheap netbook to run arc with so I dont have to lug the desktop back and forth. The netbook has windows 7 starter and 2 usb ports(i'll buy the uhs-19 also). Was wondering if anyone sees any issues with this or if it will work ok?
post #53 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I am interested in MRX 300 or 500 for my family room . I have been trying to contact the local dealers (Phoenix area) for last 1 week with no success. I have tried the only 2 dealers listed on anthem site. None of them has picked up the phone after 20-30 tries over last 1 week (and yes I called in regular business hrs). I left couple of messages for one of them earlier this week to call me back because of my interest in the receiver , and to see if they have any available or on dislplay. I haven't received any call back yet. Is there any place else I can buy these receivers . I really don't feel like buying from any of these dealers with this kind of experience before the sale.
post #54 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
No issues with Windows 7, just make sure you buy the Keyspan USB to serial adapter.... You will find that they have the most up to date drivers out of any of the usb to serial products out there...
http://www.amazon.com/Keyspan-Speed-.../dp/B0000VYJRY

Driver Page for Keyspan USA-19hs
click on help and resources tab for the drivers.
post #55 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Here is my brief initial take on the new MRX700.

My Electronics: currently consists of a Denon AVR-4810CI, but I did own an Anthem D2v and Cary Cinema 5, among other separates before opting to simplify things of an electronics nature. I was using an Odyssey HT-3 amp to run the fronts & center until about a month ago. Since that time, I have been using the internal amps in the Denon.

My Speakers: Genesis Technology 6.1Fs, 7.1C, G928 SW, two pairs of Axiom QS8’s. Not too many folks with Genesis speakers. I have never looked back when I replaced a B&W setup over two years ago. The L&R Genesis speakers have a High Level through outputs that connects by speaker cabling to the High Level inputs of the G928 SW. Cabling consists of mostly Nordost Heimdall & Baldur. about a month ago. Please note that my second set of QS8's was being used as Front Heights with the Denon, so the surrounds in the charts below are older full sized Cambridge Soundworks Tower II Speakers.

The Denon 4810 was always intended to be a temporary solution, while awaiting Anthem to release the MRX receivers. But, I was unsure about waiting it out for the 900 or opting for a 700, so I did not preorder a new MRX. My local Anthem dealer, Gary Wurlitzer of Wurlitzer Stereo in Marlborough, MA loaned me his new MRX 700 demo.

Initial Useability Impressions:

Pros: MRX is better looking in person than by picture. The buttons are so Anthem-like (and useable). The MRX t is almost compact in nature and is not oversized like some of the upscale priced Denons and Marantz units. The rear panel is well spaced out and not overcrowded. Speaker connectors are well made. Fonts of display on front of unit are large enough for my old eyes to see. Setup is simple. Last evening I ran manual setup, taking speaker measurements with a tape and using my trusty Ratshack meter and an AIX audio calibration disc to balance the sound. I always wait to run room correction/ARC, until I do some initial listening because I believe that playing with manual setup gives me the ability to betternlearn the ins & outs of new elctronics and to test out the SQ prior to any room correction setup.

Cons: Speaker distance is only measured in foot increments. Other than volume, information only shows up via OSD on monitor when entering setup/making changes.

Initial Sound Impressions: My dealer had told me that he expected that Anthem’s implementation of amps in the MRX receivers would be superior to the Denon. He was correct, and then some. Since selling my last external amplifier, I have found the Denon to be lacking in dynamics and a bit thin in the midrange. The amps in the MRX are dead quiet and extremely dynamic. I ran a number of BD discs and found that the Anthem never lacked for power or distorted, even when turning the volume up much louder than I would normally listen. I would describe the sound as clean and articulate. No, it does not have the depth that I remember from my D2 days, but after taking the Denon out of play, I found that I was no longer wanting for a separate amplifier or my D2. I need to get the how does analog sound questions out of the way. I hooked up one of my Rega TT’s as well as some nice recorded CD’s through my Oppo BDP83. The MRX is OK, but nothing special analogue wise. Digital listening is another story. I have learned thru experience that analogue belongs in a separate system (or with a 2 CH tube integrated with HT bypass), and I now only listen to music digitally in my HT.

ARC: I ran ARC this morning, and am listening/watching a Return To Forever Returns BD disc. Although my fronts are rated 48HZ to 36HZ +/- 3dB, ARC set them to Small 80 Hz. I already knew that I should not be concerned about whether ARC sets my speakers on Small or Large because I know from experience that ARC appears to know more than I do because it sounds really good. Now, I just need to listen to some more flix and some music.

Overall: SQ appears to be extremely good and quiet and at the same time quite dynamic when compared to my Denon/Odyssey implementation. Not as many bells & whistles as the Denon, but I never used most of those. I do miss being able to change Listening Modes on the remote and this is a huge omission by Anthem. Sort of reminds me of the early days with the D2, and I see that thread is running over 10K repsonses. So far I am very pleased with the MRX 700. Right now, the MRX does not leave me wanting for separates. Yes, it could have a bit better user interface with more frills/pizzaz, but it sounds really good, and I will take good sound over the frills any day of the week.

LL
LL

Stan
post #56 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

I am interested in MRX 300 or 500 for my family room . I have been trying to contact the local dealers (Phoenix area) for last 1 week with no success. I have tried the only 2 dealers listed on anthem site. None of them has picked up the phone after 20-30 tries over last 1 week (and yes I called in regular business hrs). I left couple of messages for one of them earlier this week to call me back because of my interest in the receiver , and to see if they have any available or on dislplay. I haven't received any call back yet. Is there any place else I can buy these receivers . I really don't feel like buying from any of these dealers with this kind of experience before the sale.

Maybe try driving over and talking to them?

There is nothing more frustrating than being in a business and the person helping you keeps going to the telephone.

Maybe they feel the same way and just can't afford extra staff to stand at the counter.

I wouldn't write off any business because they don't answer the phone quickly, I do applaud the ones that do great service in person though.

I ordered the 500 btw. The 300 is not going to be "in store" until the end of December as production hasn't even started yet.

I also wanted the internet radio after thinking about it and the little extra power.

The 500 is for sure the "it" model for the money, the 300 would make an awesome pre-pro though with external amplification.

I am running 5 of my channels through external and just the 2 rear "7.1" upper speakers through the internal amp.....or should I say when it arrives in 10 days

Jeff

Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're correct!
Henry Ford
post #57 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Well I would like to know if they have the units in stock and on display before I waste 1-2 hrs of my time during my busy schedule on a week day. I don't see a point of driving to and fro during my work time and finding out that they have nothing hooked up to audition and nothing in stock
I really don't believe that any high end electronics dealer can be so busy in this economy that he doesn't get 30 seconds in a week to reply or to pick a phone
post #58 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 PM

I am in the same situation as ASU. I have ordered one of these receivers and I will need some sort of Windows netbook/computer to implement ARC and updates. I have a Macpro in another part of the house and no laptop. I would appreciate advice about any relatively inexpensive product to perform this function.
post #59 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 12:35 PM
ASU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

I have been trying to contact the local dealers (Phoenix area) for last 1 week with no success. I have tried the only 2 dealers listed on anthem site.

Hey Mani I am in the Phx area too. From what I have gathered Hi Fi sales is no longer in business. Spoke to someone at the other store listed on the anthem site. They did not have any recievers and did not have much knowledge of the product. So i contacted Roh's in Tucson. Spoke with Sam there who was very knowledgable and also had just been to anthem/paradigm in canada a few weeks ago. They did not have any in stock or for display either. Did some searching beforehand and found that they are a family business and have been there for something like 60 yrs. Felt comfortable enough to put a deposit down over the phone and will make the 2hr drive when the receiver comes in.
post #60 of 16568 Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info ASU
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page