Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 22 - AVS Forum
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
favorini's Avatar favorini 09:40 AM 12-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne View Post

I was wondering how to get the ARC software to correct above 5k?

I see that some people have done 12k readings and I would like to try it for a comparison. I have a direct line to ear height on the tweeters, so I'm not worried too much by the directional issues stated.

I've tried a few different ways but I can't see how to move the target higher.

Jeff

On the MRX 300/500/700, ARC correction is limited to 5 kHz.

jayray's Avatar jayray 09:52 AM 12-09-2010
Quote:

I was wondering how to get the ARC software to correct above 5k?

I see that some people have done 12k readings and I would like to try it for a comparison. I have a direct line to ear height on the tweeters, so I'm not worried too much by the directional issues stated.

I've tried a few different ways but I can't see how to move the target higher.

Jeff

Many of us who have the pre/pros use 5K, although we can go up to 20K. The MRXs have fewer resources for correcting than the pre/pros so Anthem believes the 5K limit is your best. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
John
Noxdowne's Avatar Noxdowne 09:58 AM 12-09-2010
I have a +6db peak to my 5k plus and I was hoping that ARC could help me.

I guess I could just install an L-Pad, because reducing the treble setting on my MRX -4 seems to hurt midrange as well.

Can someone tell me where the treble adjustment starts frequency wise? Like is it 2k and up or 5k etc.

Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me about the midrange.

Jeff
dglozic's Avatar dglozic 02:51 PM 12-09-2010
Quote:

I have a +6db peak to my 5k plus and I was hoping that ARC could help me.

I guess I could just install an L-Pad, because reducing the treble setting on my MRX -4 seems to hurt midrange as well.

Can someone tell me where the treble adjustment starts frequency wise? Like is it 2k and up or 5k etc.

Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me about the midrange.

Jeff

Note that ARC is designed to compensate for the anomalies that even good speakers exhibit when placed in a real world room. When placing speakers with not so good response in a real world room, it is possible to get anomalies that are beyond ARC's abilities. It is always good to start with a nice linear system and speakers - that would allow ARC to apply the correction gently. If people here have DIY speakers, perhaps it would be more beneficial to try to correct the near-field measurements of the speaker (if possible) before burdening ARC to fix both the speakers and the room.
Noxdowne's Avatar Noxdowne 04:32 PM 12-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglozic View Post

Note that ARC is designed to compensate for the anomalies that even good speakers exhibit when placed in a real world room. When placing speakers with not so good response in a real world room, it is possible to get anomalies that are beyond ARC's abilities. It is always good to start with a nice linear system and speakers - that would allow ARC to apply the correction gently. If people here have DIY speakers, perhaps it would be more beneficial to try to correct the near-field measurements of the speaker (if possible) before burdening ARC to fix both the speakers and the room.

In a perfect world yes. I am seeing abnormalities in the store bought speakers too though. Regardless I have installed L-Pads and it should be fine now. I was just wondering if if was possible and explained why I asked.

Cheers

Jeff
dglozic's Avatar dglozic 05:34 PM 12-09-2010
Quote:

In a perfect world yes. I am seeing abnormalities in the store bought speakers too though. Regardless I have installed L-Pads and it should be fine now. I was just wondering if if was possible and explained why I asked.

Cheers

Jeff

What is the crossover frequency for your L/R twitters? If it is high enough, a high current resistor wired in series with your twitter may shelve down the highs in a more natural way. Many crossovers do that - my B&W 805s has a first-order crossover that has a 1 ohm resistor wired in series with the 4.7uF capacitor to the tweeter. If your crossover already has a resistor, you may want to increase its value slightly and rerun ARC.

I am saying this because your L/R speakers are DIY so I assume you can open them up and tweak the crossover. With store-bought speakers, one can do little but live with the sound they produce (short from trying to compensate with room treatmants). In your case, some absorptive panels that are thin enough to not affect midrange may work.
shenzhen dude's Avatar shenzhen dude 06:43 PM 12-09-2010
Anyone else having problem with the internet radio freezing and then you can not change radio menus or stations??? After it locks up the only thing you can change is inputs and when you go back to Media/Internet radio it is still dead. The fix is to turn off system then turn it back on and everything works for awhile and then after 10 to 30 minutes the station goes dead and freezes up again....... I have sent this problem to Anthem tech twice now.
Elder Young's Avatar Elder Young 08:06 PM 12-09-2010
Can the MRX line play back the 192kHz/24-bit Dolby TrueHD track on the "Akira" Blu-ray at 192kHz? Also, how does it handle the 108p30 video on Nine Inch Nails' "Beside You in Time" Blu-ray?
Noxdowne's Avatar Noxdowne 07:40 AM 12-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglozic View Post

What is the crossover frequency for your L/R twitters? If it is high enough, a high current resistor wired in series with your twitter may shelve down the highs in a more natural way. Many crossovers do that - my B&W 805s has a first-order crossover that has a 1 ohm resistor wired in series with the 4.7uF capacitor to the tweeter. If your crossover already has a resistor, you may want to increase its value slightly and rerun ARC.

I am saying this because your L/R speakers are DIY so I assume you can open them up and tweak the crossover. With store-bought speakers, one can do little but live with the sound they produce (short from trying to compensate with room treatmants). In your case, some absorptive panels that are thin enough to not affect midrange may work.

Thank you for that, sorry for the thread hijack all.

Jeff
Brian@Paradigm's Avatar Brian@Paradigm 09:25 AM 12-10-2010
Morning Folks,

Just a quick note for those who may be in the neighborhood, I will be participating in a technology event at Olum's of Vestal tomorrow (Saturday) from 11:00-2:00pm.

We will be doing demos with the MRX300 and MRX700, paired with the recently introduced Millenia One System, and SE-3 Floor-standers.

I'll be set up in the back of the Electronics Department, in "The Piano Room," affectionally named for its rough shape instead of the keyboard instrument.

The Millenia will be 5.1 ARC'ed with the Seismic 110 using the MRX300, and I'm thinking of doing an old-school "surround 2.0" rig with SE-3's.

Peanut M&M's seem to be a good pick as well!

Cheers,
Brian
mbfleming's Avatar mbfleming 10:22 AM 12-10-2010
Brian,

Is this the place?

Olum's of Binghamton Inc
Campus Plaza
3701 Vestal Parkway East
Vestal, N.Y. 13850
Monday - Saturday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone : 607-729-5775
Fax: 607-729-6166
Email: Info@olums.com

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Olum's+of+Binghamton+Inc&sll=37.0625,95.677068&sspn=49.223579,104.501953&ie=UTF8&hq=Olum's+of+Binghamton+Inc,+NY&hnear=&cid=9299400746132852984&ll=42.10268,-75.970802&spn=0.113735,0.125999&z=13&iwloc=A
jayray's Avatar jayray 10:36 AM 12-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

Brian,

Is this the place?

Olum's of Binghamton Inc
Campus Plaza
3701 Vestal Parkway East
Vestal, N.Y. 13850
Monday - Saturday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone : 607-729-5775
Fax: 607-729-6166
Email: Info@olums.com

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Olum's+of+Binghamton+Inc&sll=37.0625,95.677068&sspn=49.223579,104.501953&ie=UTF8&hq=Olum's+of+Binghamton+Inc,+NY&hnear=&cid=9299400746132852984&ll=42.10268,-75.970802&spn=0.113735,0.125999&z=13&iwloc=A

Yes it is.
John
HeffeMusic's Avatar HeffeMusic 01:20 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Yes it is.
John

Hey I am setting up ARC now and I checked the auto setup first. The AVR says ARC is in progress.
How long should it be before I here anything out of the speakers? It seems like nothing is happening?

Forget it guys I had to enter the microphones serial numb. Now it is chirping away!
jayray's Avatar jayray 02:20 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hey I am setting up ARC now and I checked the auto setup first. The AVR says ARC is in progress.
How long should it be before I here anything out of the speakers? It seems like nothing is happening?

Forget it guys I had to enter the microphones serial numb. Now it is chirping away!

Let us know how it sounds. Also post your charts.
Kohn
HeffeMusic's Avatar HeffeMusic 02:48 PM 12-10-2010
Hey John,
When I try to upload my graphs the upload page says invalid file? Also I did not run the software upgrade from Anthem. Is that going to screw up my readings, because the AVR reverts to Dolby volume when it is turned on?
jayray's Avatar jayray 02:55 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

Hey John,
When I try to upload my graphs the upload page says invalid file? Also I did not run the software upgrade from Anthem. Is that going to screw up my readings, because the AVR reverts to Dolby volume when it is turned on?

Just turn off Dolby volume before playing anything. The update is very easy and takes less time than ARC. For the graphs you should save them as jpeg files. They should upload easily.
John
HeffeMusic's Avatar HeffeMusic 03:09 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

Just turn off Dolby volume before playing anything. The update is very easy and takes less time than ARC. For the graphs you should save them as jpeg files. They should upload easily.
John

I looked at the Cross Over settings and it set my Studio 20s and 10s and center to Small 60 hz? Does that sound normal?
Noxdowne's Avatar Noxdowne 04:17 PM 12-10-2010
I have the worst luck.

Installed my L-Pads and run quick measurement to adjust all of my 5k plus requency within spec. Everything works good and then I get a shock using my mouse and fry the usb system out of my laptop.

Of course it's my $1500 laptop I use for consulting, I get my girlfirends laptop and load all the software on there and after rebooting the computer 4 times it finally finishes the actual 5 position measurements and I get everything uploaded.

Dumb luck with my laptop, but it sures make me wish the software was in the receiver and not something I have to &*%^ with on a laptop.

That being said, the system sounds really good and for those of you that say the system with ARC sounds lifeless? SHUT OFF DOLBY VOLUME!!!!

God it was killing my sound , I mean it just destroyed the dynamics.

Just a heads up.

Jeff
Anthony A.'s Avatar Anthony A. 04:19 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

I looked at the Cross Over settings and it set my Studio 20s and 10s and center to Small 60 hz? Does that sound normal?

the lowest crossover setting is 60hz, so thats what arc sets it at even if its slightly lower. mine is set the same way, so don't worry. whatever arc sets up, keep it that way first and listen to it for a while. if you decide to make changes, do them in arc advanced, recalculate and then upload.
jayray's Avatar jayray 04:22 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

I have the worst luck.

Installed my L-Pads and run quick measurement to adjust all of my 5k plus requency within spec. Everything works good and then I get a shock using my mouse and fry the usb system out of my laptop.

Of course it's my $1500 laptop I use for consulting, I get my girlfirends laptop and load all the software on there and after rebooting the computer 4 times it finally finishes the actual 5 position measurements and I get everything uploaded.

Dumb luck with my laptop, but it sures make me wish the software was in the receiver and not something I have to &*%^ with on a laptop.

That being said, the system sounds really good and for those of you that say the system with ARC sounds lifeless? SHUT OFF DOLBY VOLUME!!!!

Just a heads up.

Jeff

The latest software update included Dolby Vol. Off as a default. There is no doubt, TURN it OFF and then listen to ARC. BTW Jeff, post your charts if you haven't already.
John
Anthony A.'s Avatar Anthony A. 04:23 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

I have the worst luck.

Just a heads up.

Jeff

i actually prefer the software on my laptop. i can tweak it to my liking without having to turn on the pj like with the denon/audyssey. once you get familiar with it, its very easy and you can just keep trying out different combinations of crossover settings and upload. i just got an mca30 amp to run my fronts, so gotta go!
jayray's Avatar jayray 04:24 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

That sounds fine. What is the cutoff set to for your sub?
John
HeffeMusic's Avatar HeffeMusic 05:14 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

That sounds fine. What is the cutoff set to for your sub?
John

John,
Nothing wants to open up the file I saved? I can't even copy and paste. FYI just watching a concert video and and the amp just shut off? I did the update and I still have Dolby volume on when I turn off the Amp?
HeffeMusic's Avatar HeffeMusic 05:26 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

John,
Nothing wants to open up the file I saved? I can't even copy and paste. FYI just watching a concert video and and the amp just shut off? I did the update and I still have Dolby volume on when I turn off the Amp?

I see that there are 2 updates on the page. I did the 1st one the 2nd one says update 120volts? Is this the update that handles the Dolby volume issue?
icposse2000's Avatar icposse2000 05:38 PM 12-10-2010
The MRX models are now showing up on the harmony website for the remotes, for everyone who's been waiting.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 06:03 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

John,

If you mean that your ARC Windows PC application can't even open its own, saved results file, then see this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19591146

--Bob
jayray's Avatar jayray 06:05 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

I see that there are 2 updates on the page. I did the 1st one the 2nd one says update 120volts? Is this the update that handles the Dolby volume issue?

That refers to the model for which the update applies ie. 120v for North American models. This is the main firmware the other one is the multimedia one which is done by USB. BTW, when you mentioned AMP I assume you meant Receiver. It should revert to DV off when rebooted.
John
HeffeMusic's Avatar HeffeMusic 06:19 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

That refers to the model for which the update applies ie. 120v for North American models. This is the main firmware the other one is the multimedia one which is done by USB. BTW, when you mentioned AMP I assume you meant Receiver. It should revert to DV off when rebooted.
John

Hey John
After I ran the new update via serial port, When I turned the AVR on it still went to Dolby volume on? What I was saying is that I can look at my graphs but every time I try to upload them to another format it says file type unrecognized. AVS will not let me upload them? Maybe when I saved it the first time I should specified what file type?
jayray's Avatar jayray 06:31 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

Hey John
After I ran the new update via serial port, When I turned the AVR on it still went to Dolby volume on? What I was saying is that I can look at my graphs but every time I try to upload them to another format it says file type unrecognized. AVS will not let me upload them? Maybe when I saved it the first time I should specified what file type?

You should be trying to upload a screen capture of the file, not the actual ARC file. When viewing the charts, do a print screen. Paste the pic into Windows paint. Save the file as a jpeg. Upload that.
John
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 06:31 PM 12-10-2010
Quote:

Hey John

Open your results file in the ARC Windows app so you can view the charts. There are several ways you can go at this point. One is to use the Windows key combo for Screen Capture Active Window (see Windows Help). This puts the visible portion of the window in the clipboard. Now you can paste that into, say Windows Paint (bundled with Windows) and Save As the result, choosing the JPEG file format to keep the file size small.

You can't view all the charts at once, so you capture the upper charts, scroll down and then capture the lower charts. If you have a separate Music configuration you do this again for those (select Music in ARC's View menu to see those charts). Then bring up your Targets window and capture that as well. The end of all this is 5 JPEG files on your PC which you can then upload to AVS as part of a post here using the Manage Attachements feature found below the box where you type in your post text. Use the Preview Post button to convince yourself it has all worked before you Submit Reply.
--Bob
Tags: Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop