Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

I will try and post my screen captures later, but I changed my sub cutoff from 120 to 100 and my calculated results came out MUCH better. It looks like the ARC default is 120. Could this be because the .1 lfe channel is said to have content up to 120hz? I know that Audyssey recommends setting the lfe channel to 120 as well. Plus, I think all the posted results I've seen show the sub cutoff at 120. Just an observation...

It seems to me that when the sub is crossed over at a higher setting than 80hz you gain a lot more of the higher end of the bottom, but some people prefer a more bassy sound. that is why 100 is prob a good compromise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 864
It may simply be that there's too much Room Gain in his solution. When he posts the charts and Targets window we can see.

In your case, you have about 2dB of Room Gain which is towards the low end of the typical range.
--Bob.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #723 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Liked: 10
Howdy - Just received my MRX 500, along with a set of Gallo Ref Stradas in a 3.0 setup (L, R & C), no sub for now (WAF - its an iterative process ). Room is 18x12. When running ARC, do I need to account for the lack of a sub?

Thanks!
post #724 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 02:28 PM
lpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Attach the serial port that comes with The MRX, to the AVR, and then attach the keyspan to the other end of the serial cable. Then attach the USB cable to the other end of the keyspan, and plug USB into the computer.

Thanks for the quick reply!! Totally forgot about the DB9 serial cable that came in the box

post #725 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpw View Post

Thanks for the quick reply!! Totally forgot about the DB9 serial cable that came in the box

I did the same thing!
post #726 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Hi everyone,

just a word of caution for anyone attempting the multimedia update for the MRX series using the USB Flash Drives --- at least one of them is not recognised by the Anthem even though it is usable by everything else.

I first tried the multimedia update using a Lexar JumpDrive VE 4GB USB Drive. The Anthem failed to recognise it from either the front or the back USB inputs.

Thanks to John (jayray) who told me he used a Kingston DataTraveler 8GB USB Flash Drive and it worked like a charm. I went out and purchased one today and as soon as I loaded it into the Anthem up popped the Update option.

So, if you want an inexpensive USB Flash Drive to perform multimedia updates the Kingston works... and this model Lexar doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Tony
post #727 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 05:42 PM

I've had my MRX-700 sitting in the box for several weeks after I moved out the old speakers and waited for the S-8-s, C-5, two Sub 12-s and surrounds to arrive. Tomorrow I set up and ARC. Following this thread as I have, we'll see how smoothly things go.
post #728 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Hi everyone,

just a word of caution for anyone attempting the multimedia update for the MRX series using the USB Flash Drives --- at least one of them is not recognised by the Anthem even though it is usable by everything else.

I first tried the multimedia update using a Lexar JumpDrive VE 4GB USB Drive. The Anthem failed to recognise it from either the front or the back USB inputs.

Thanks to John (jayray) who told me he used a Kingston DataTraveler 8GB USB Flash Drive and it worked like a charm. I went out and purchased one today and as soon as I loaded it into the Anthem up popped the Update option.

So, if you want an inexpensive USB Flash Drive to perform multimedia updates the Kingston works... and this model Lexar doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Tony

What format was the drive, FAT32 or NTFS?
post #729 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster99 View Post

What format was the drive, FAT32 or NTFS?

I believe he said it was FAT32.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #730 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 PM

If I am not going to be going the 3D route, do I need to do the multimedia update with my MRX500?

Thanks
post #731 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As promised, here are my unchanged ARC screen captures.
LL
LL
LL
post #732 of 16587 Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

And, here is what I ended up settling on.
LL
LL
LL
post #733 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post
I believe he said it was FAT32.
John
Correct. Both drives were formatted to FAT32.

Cheers.
post #734 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Hi everyone,

H/W the ARC 3.01 results from my MRX 500 for 5 measuring positions with my Revel Concerta speakers. I have the F12s as the Left and Right fronts, the C12 as the Center, and the M12s on their matching Revel stands as the Left and Right surrounds. My subwoofer is the PSB SubSeries 6i. The Revel speakers have an exceptionally flat frequency response and are arguably the best engineered speakers in their price range.

The listening room is setup as an L shape with four measurements taken directly in the main listening window in the front of the home theatre system and one taken on the left about three feet in front of the main sofa. Distances from the sofa center point are approximately:

Front left, right and center: 10 feet
Subwoofer: 11 feet
Surround left, right: 4 feet

I believe the asymmetrical layout is what causes the ripple effect in the ARC measurements. As you can see ARC doesn't have to work too hard given the flat frequency response up to 5kHz.

Cheers.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #735 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So how does it sound? charts look good but the ultimate test is listening.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #736 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi everyone,

H/W the ARC 3.01 results from my MRX 500 for 5 measuring positions with my Revel Concerta speakers. I have the F12s as the Left and Right fronts, the C12 as the Center, and the M12s on their matching Revel stands as the Left and Right surrounds. My subwoofer is the PSB SubSeries 6i. The Revel speakers have an exceptionally flat frequency response and are arguably the best engineered speakers in their price range.

The listening room is setup as an L shape with four measurements taken directly in the main listening window in the front of the home theatre system and one taken on the left about three feet in front of the main sofa. Distances from the sofa center point are approximately:

I believe the asymmetrical layout is what causes the ripple effect in the ARC measurements. As you can see ARC doesn't have to work too hard given the flat frequency response up to 5kHz.

Cheers.

Just for fun, try setting the sub HPF to Flat. and see what that does to the curve at the 20 Hz range. Just do a recalculation, no need to do another measurement.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #737 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Correct. Both drives were formatted to FAT32.

Cheers.

It may only recognize NTFS then. Although I have found that it is usually the other way around with most electronics. Just a guess.
post #738 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 09:32 AM

on my mrx display i get a video output conflict...whats that mean and how can i fix that issue..i have all my inputs i.e br,xbox,ps3 all running out of the 1 output to the tv....is there something in the mrx to change this etting or something i missed
post #739 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So how does it sound? charts look good but the ultimate test is listening.
John

It sounds great so far... That said, outside of a few demo clips, I haven't really done enough critical listening yet. Shopping is consuming all my free time these days. What I can tell you is that it already sounds better than my Denon 3808 with Audyssey.

I'm curious to see what Bob P. has to say about my two sets of calculations. I didn't have a chance to directly compare them with listening, but setting the sub cutoff to 100 sure does flatten out the response.
post #740 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds great so far... That said, outside of a few demo clips, I haven't really done enough critical listening yet. Shopping is consuming all my free time these days. What I can tell you is that it already sounds better than my Denon 3808 with Audyssey.

I'm curious to see what Bob P. has to say about my two sets of calculations. I didn't have a chance to directly compare them with listening, but setting the sub cutoff to 100 sure does flatten out the response.

I noticed the sub change and to test that use Transformers at 1:56 where the transformer flips over the woman. This sweep is a good test of how smooth the LFE is from your sub. For impact, of course the pod scene in WOTW is very good for that. This is how I tuned my sub with ARC. The Flat setting should also give you some good tactile LFE if your sub can do it and from your chart it looks like you have a good one. I'm not sure what Bob would suggest but at this point there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do to improve. Usually any dip or peak under 2db. is inaudible anyway.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #741 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just for fun, try setting the sub HPF to Flat. and see what that does to the curve at the 20 Hz range. Just do a recalculation, no need to do another measurement.
John

I may try that next time I pull out the ARC gear. The PSB Subseries 6i subwoofer has the following frequency response technical specifications:

On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 29-150Hz
Lf Cutoff -10dB 27Hz

Cheers.

Tony
post #742 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I may try that next time I pull out the ARC gear. The PSB Subseries 6i subwoofer has the following frequency response technical specifications:

On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 29-150Hz
Lf Cutoff -10dB 27Hz

Cheers.

Tony

Make it so, To
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #743 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Cheers.

These look fine to me. How does it sound?
--Bob

post #744 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

The adjusted solution looks fine. You are losing a little bit of the high frequency end of LFE compared to the original solution, but there's not that much LFE up there.

Another approach to smoothing the original sub curve might be to lower Room Gain a bit. You can experiment with different values in the 2.5 to 4 dB range.
--Bob

post #745 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

These look fine to me. How does it sound?
--Bob

Hi Bob,

sounds really good. Very pleased with ARC and the MRX 500. Suffering a minor issue with the MRX 500 that I am working with Anthem on.

Cheers.

Tony
post #746 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Hey all.
sitting back watching a little football! J-E-T-S!
Anyway I had another run this AM I remeasured the room again but this time, (as Bob suggested) I put the sub closer to the wall. I re ran and here are my posts. I do not know if it is reflected in the graphs, but I get much more punch now out of the sub. It is like a very tight and punchy sound! I was watching the Jeff Beck Blue Ray in DTS Master and the bass never sounded better! In fact the whole mix sounds so much better than what I am used to! You Actually feel more like you are at the gig with the audience!
Here are my Music graphs, PS John Mclaughlin from 1984, also sounds better than ever!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #747 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Left out the Surrounds! Prob because my JETS look Horrible!
LL
post #748 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hey all.
Go Patriots!

Sorry, couldn't help it. Let's see who are the Monsters of the Midway now ;-)

Cheers.
post #749 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic
Hey all.
Anyway I had another run this AM I remeasured the room again but this time, (as Bob suggested) I put the sub closer to the wall. I re ran and here are my posts. I do not know if it is reflected in the graphs, but I get much more punch now out of the sub. It is like a very tight and punchy sound! I was watching the Jeff Beck Blue Ray in DTS Master and the bass never sounded better! In fact the whole mix sounds so much better than what I am used to! You Actually feel more like you are at the gig with the audience!
Here are my Music graphs, PS John Mclaughlin from 1984, also sounds better than ever!
When frequencies are corrected accurately
,the result is a more 3D sound field ie. feels more like you're there. This is why ARC gets so many accolades. Reviewers comment on this time and again. Enjoy. BTW, a different sub will give you more deep LFE but that's for another day
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #750 of 16587 Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray

When frequencies are corrected accurately
,the result is a more 3D sound field ie. feels more like you're there. This is why ARC gets so many accolades. Reviewers comment on this time and again. Enjoy. BTW, a different sub will give you more deep LFE but that's for another day
John
Already on my mind! Any recommendations for a 1G?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page