Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 307 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9181 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

Well, since my 50 day old Integra 70.2 has to go back to service center for second time in 2 weeks my dealer whom I'm good friends with let me take home an MRX 500. Finished ARC setup and set movie & music profiles. I'm impressed so far! So much that the Integra might be out for good!!!

Post your charts and target window so we can see the results.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
How long does it take for ARC to upload? I did all the steps and it flew thru uploading but it seems to be stuck with 3 bars left. Will it give me a failed response if it does not upload?
Thanks
post #9183 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

One more question...I know there is a start up volume setting but is there a maximum volume setting you can set?
post #9184 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGOLFER View Post

How long does it take for ARC to upload? I did all the steps and it flew thru uploading but it seems to be stuck with 3 bars left. Will it give me a failed response if it does not upload?
Thanks

Mine took close to 10 minutes.
post #9185 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Post your charts and target window so we can see the results.
John

How do I do it?

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #9186 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

I guess everyone is out...wish I was. This has to be the most frustrating experience I have ever had with an audio piece. I just aborted the upload after waiting 45 minutes. I guess my adapter sucks but I don't understand that everything reads and continues without issues until it is 90% uploaded and then freezes. This sux. Anthem needs to find a better way. I just ordered the Keyspan and I hope that works but this is just not user friendly at all.

I have to leave town tomorrow for a week and need to at least get the receiver operating for my wife and kids. How do I manually set this up so that they can at least watch TV? When I get home if I have the same issues I'm done and will take this back.

Sorry for the rant but I'm p*ssed right now.
post #9187 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

If it's stuck, abort and then restart your computer. I turn off wireless and firewall in windows and now I never have problems with either my D2v or MRX 500.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9188 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

jayray,

How do I turn off firewall. I'm a PC novice. How long should it take to upload? Any and all help is appreciated. I've tried reading thru the thread but it's hard. I bought a new PC laptop today just to do the ARC and it's not looking good.

I leave tomorrow for a week and the wife and kids come home and I need to at least make it somewhat useable for them.

Any suggestions on manual set up just to get them by before I return next Friday?

Also, does the MRX allow you to set up a max volume?

Thanks,
Ted
post #9189 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do I do it?

Hit "Print Screen" when the charts are visible. Then paste in Windows Paint and save as a jpeg file. Now upload when responding to the thread using the "Manage Files" button. Windows 7 has a "Cutting Tool" that can also be used.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9190 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jayray,

How do I turn off firewall. I'm a PC novice. How long should it take to upload? Any and all help is appreciated. I've tried reading thru the thread but it's hard. I bought a new PC laptop today just to do the ARC and it's not looking good.

I leave tomorrow for a week and the wife and kids come home and I need to at least make it somewhat useable for them.

Any suggestions on manual set up just to get them by before I return next Friday?

Also, does the MRX allow you to set up a max volume?

Thanks,
Ted

For usage without ARC, use the "Quick Setup" just follow the prompts. Then set the inputs up for each source. This should get you going until you get the Keyspan or if restarting works. Just search for how to turn off firewall. Try first after restarting only.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9191 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Here's the target window. I'm surprised it set my surrounds to 60, they're in-ceiling speakers of unknown brand.
We just moved some furniture, so I'll need to run it again anyway.
Luckily the laptop I borrowed has a serial port, so it was a piece of cake.
LL
post #9192 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Here goes.
LL
LL

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #9193 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

sorry, forgot this one
LL

-Bane

post #9194 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Here's the target window. I'm surprised it set my surrounds to 60, they're in-ceiling speakers of unknown brand.

Most find it a piece of cake with the Keyspan
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9195 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here goes.

Your sub has a large dip from 100-60 Hz but could be fixed by repositioning it. Use Quick Measure to reposition the sub with real time measurements. Once you get a good spot, do another ARC measurement and then upload it if it looks good.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9196 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most find it a piece of cake with the Keyspan
John

I agree. I'm giving up and it is now crashing my new computer so I'm ordering the Keyspan now off the internet and will try to redo this next Friday when I return from my trip.

Hopefully everything will work out well. I'm a little disappointed with my dealer who told me he updated the software which he did not. Typical dealer anymore. I also received a floor model I believe because I did not receive any of the antennas that come with the receiver.

If I can get this working with ARC I will be stoked because the sound quality with a manual set up without ARC is better than my Denon 4810 with an Audyssey set up.

I guess I have a week on the road to read up on this thread and see if I can figure this all out.

Thanks for all the help.

Ted
post #9197 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your sub has a large dip from 100-60 Hz but could be fixed by repositioning it. Use Quick Measure to reposition the sub with real time measurements. Once you get a good spot, do another ARC measurement and then upload it if it looks good.
John

How does everything else look?

-Bane

post #9198 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree. I'm giving up and it is now crashing my new computer so I'm ordering the Keyspan now off the internet and will try to redo this next Friday when I return from my trip.

Hopefully everything will work out well. I'm a little disappointed with my dealer who told me he updated the software which he did not. Typical dealer anymore. I also received a floor model I believe because I did not receive any of the antennas that come with the receiver.

If I can get this working with ARC I will be stoked because the sound quality with a manual set up without ARC is better than my Denon 4810 with an Audyssey set up.

I guess I have a week on the road to read up on this thread and see if I can figure this all out.

Thanks for all the help.

Ted

No problem, there's lots of help here when you get the Keyspan.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9199 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Any comments on the graphs I posted Jayray?
post #9200 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any comments on the graphs I posted Jayray?

The charts look good. The sub drops off quickly so make sure any low pass filters are turned off as well as setting the crossover yo the highest Frequency, usually 180Hz. Your center channel was set to 120Hz crossover, pretty high for a center speaker. What are it's specs? Your room gain is very low so that is an area you could tweak if needed later.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9201 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks for all the help.

Ted

Check out Jayrays second post in this thead, the "FAQ" post (also linked in my signature below). Read through all of the links and associated links in the FAQ while you sitting in your hotel room on the road... when you get back you will be well armed to do almost anything the MRX can do

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #9202 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry, forgot this one

Did ARC pick 80 for all of your targets or did you adjust them?

post #9203 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your graphs and targets look really good. As Jayray noted, your center is set to 120Hz, which based on the graphs makes sense... but is a little surprising, though it has been my experience that a lot of centers are up around there.

My old Bose was in that range. My new custom built center goes down nicely to well below 60Hz and sounds so much better. But for the price of the Bose when I need a few short months stop gap till my center was built, it did the trick.

As your sub is going up to 120Hz there really should be no gap between the center and the sub. As things start to become more directional above 80-100Hz, you may notice some vocals coming from the sub, that would be the main issue with th center having such a high crossover point. However if your sub happens to be on your front wall as well, you probably won't notice.

post #9204 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

Did ARC pick 80 for all of your targets or did you adjust them?

I adjusted to that. ARC gave me 60Hz for fronts and 80Hz for surrounds & subwoofer

-Bane

post #9205 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The charts look good. The sub drops off quickly so make sure any low pass filters are turned off as well as setting the crossover yo the highest Frequency, usually 180Hz. Your center channel was set to 120Hz crossover, pretty high for a center speaker. What are it's specs? Your room gain is very low so that is an area you could tweak if needed later.
John

There are no additional filters in the system. So I should change the subwoofer cutoff to 180? The sub is on a low shelf behind and to the left of the left front, in a corner.
The CC is a Vienna Waltz grand, on the mantle above the fireplace. It's a two-way, 70-22khz freq response. I did notice how low it set room gain, should I try setting it to 2?
I'll probably run it again tomorrow, we moved some furniture, now I have a totally clear path to the mains and 5 definable listening positions.
Running it did freak the dogs out a little.
post #9206 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I adjusted to that. ARC gave me 60Hz for fronts and 80Hz for surrounds & subwoofer

That was my guess, as 60 looked like the correct value. I would put them back where ARC set them and listen for a week. I think you will be very happy.

post #9207 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are no additional filters in the system. So I should change the subwoofer cutoff to 180? The sub is on a low shelf behind and to the left of the left front, in a corner.
The CC is a Vienna Waltz grand, on the mantle above the fireplace. It's a two-way, 70-22khz freq response. I did notice how low it set room gain, should I try setting it to 2?
I'll probably run it again tomorrow, we moved some furniture, now I have a totally clear path to the mains and 5 definable listening positions.

No, the sub crossover on the back of the SUB should be at 180. Now that you've changed the room, make sure you do a new measurement. Don't change room gain until you've heard the ARC solution first.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9208 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger! View Post

that was my guess, as 60 looked like the correct value. I would put them back where arc set them and listen for a week. I think you will be very happy.

+1

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9209 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1

The old THX 80Hz crossover doesn't apply to present day systems so let ARC do it, it knows better than we do
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9210 of 16534 Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would not just "Set the sub to 180" in the targets window. In fact we only want to see it hit 120, but it needs to do it naturaly. Just setting it won't help if it can't actually do it.

What are the Speaker Calibration Levels at that ARC set on your MRX? Adjusting the sub level for a few people seemed to help better flatten out the subs response... probably as the sub was getting driven into what is refered to as "party mode" where it starts to protect itself.

Also, as Jayray suggested, moving the sub may help. You can use "Quick Measure" in ARC to see a live graph of your sub as you move it around... this will let you determin the best place for the sub with the flattest response. Set your MIC in your primary position, then set Quick Measure to do sweeps on your sub... move the sub and watch the graphs till you find a good place for the sub.

As for Room Gain... as Jayray stated a few posts up... don't play with this till after we have everything else settled and you've had a little time to listen. We can adjust this and re-upload anytime without re-running ARC. So let's focus on everything else and get it right first. Then after you've listend a little we can try increasing the Room Gain and seeing if you like the increase or not.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page