Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 16595 Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Roy View Post

Hello. I have a 5.1 setup. Somtimes I like to listen to 2-channel with a sub though. I vaguely remember being able to do it when I had my old AVM20/MCA 50 setup a few years ago.

There are two Bass Management configurations: Movie and Music. You can set Music to only use 2-channel plus sub by setting Center/Surround/Aux to Off. (Look under Setup > Speaker Configuration.) Then you can change appropriate sources to use the Music config (Setup > Audio/Video Setup and Presets > Main Source Setup > Bass Manager). You may also want to try out different Listening Mode Presets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 AM

Got the MRX500 set in place, hooked up and 1st ARC run over the weekend. I am coming from an Arcam AVP700, Anthem amp setup. First impressions on the unit itself are very positive. The setup was very straightforward and the GUI is wonderful. Unit looks great, and hookup was a breeze. This GUI makes the Arcam's look like stone tablets. We've come a long way in 5 years.

ARC
My first issue came with running ARC. I did not encounter any of the problems I thought I would (like comm errors etc.) I used the keyspan and Windows 7 and it was flawless.

I strongly recommend NOT leveling your sub to 75db before running ARC. I did (based on some info from this post), and when ARC started, the sub output was too low during test tones. ARC gave me an error, and I turned up the sub to about 12 O'clock and reran ARC without issue.

I have not posted the charts, but what ARC said it could do in taming my room was nothing short of amazing. Now...whether it acutally DID that after applying the corrections I don't know. How do you verify? Can you "test" with ARC? Anyway, it sounded very different from my carefully leveled Arcam setup. Not neccesarily worse...just very noticeably different. ARC set the my sub to 120Hz and the remaining 5 speakers at 60Hz.

After applying ARC, the soundstage became very tight... even contracted. Midbass punch was astounding, and the cutoff/crossover ARC chose seems to blend well, but the soundstage is much smaller and I (so far) believe that my imaging has suffered terribly. The sound is so sterile as to be cold. No doubt ARC improved the sound in relation to the room response, but the sound in relation to my ears (again, so far) has suffered a bit. It is probably just the unfamiliar sound of a properly corrected room. I'm only offering my observation that there was not a "UREKA" moment of bliss with ARC applied.

Dolby Volume
Should Dolby Volume be turned back on after running and implementing ARC without it? Interestingly in relation to sound changes, when Dolby Volume is turned on, the soundfield changes for the better. Why would that be? I turned off DV before running ARC as per suggestions. With ARC applied, if I turn on DV for digital cable tv, the soundstage opens up, it gets louder, warmer, and the result just seems to "sound better".

I still have a lot to experiement with. Kind of hard when you don't know exactly what the heck you are doing (I have never used room correction before). Overall, I think the MRX500 will eventually win me over when it's properly dialed in, but my initial impressions after my first ARC implementation are lukewarm.

"I told my wife my A/V habit was as enjoyable as our sex life and she never touched my equipment again."
post #903 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss21xd View Post

I still have a lot to experiement with. Kind of hard when you don't know exactly what the heck you are doing (I have never used room correction before). Overall, I think the MRX500 will eventually win me over when it's properly dialed in, but my initial impressions after my first ARC implementation are lukewarm.

To make a few comments based on my initial experience with the MRX 500.

My dealer did the installation and ARC so I can not comment on any technical details; rather my comments are experienced based.

The unit was installed last Tuesday and I would guess has 30 odds hours to date. The sound is very warm and I do miss some treble and life if that makes sense. I listen to music using Anthem logic music and the soundstage is broad but not pin point accurate (I need to experiment with some subtle moving of my front speakers in the hopes this will help). I am enjoying my music more and more and know that I am going to listen to lots more music than I did with my Rotel.

For watching movies there is an improvement but I would like to be more enveloped in surround sound. I am thinking of making all my back speakers a touch louder to see if this will help. Don't get me wrong, the sound is good but am not 100% happy yet.

What I have been very happy with is the video upscaling. I have a Mede8er multimedia player linked via HDMI and the improvement in picture quality is great. Even a very average picture is improved and this has been the biggest wow factor for me.

@Boss21xd I think as the hours mount up you will see some real sound quality improvements. Hope things do get better for you and thanks so much for sharing your impressions with us. I do feel the exact same way as you though on ARC and experience!!
post #904 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Got the MRX500 set in place, hooked up and 1st ARC run over the weekend. I am coming from an Arcam AVP700, Anthem amp setup. First impressions on the unit itself are very positive. The setup was very straightforward and the GUI is wonderful. Unit looks great, and hookup was a breeze. This GUI makes the Arcam's look like stone tablets. We've come a long way in 5 years.

ARC
My first issue came with running ARC. I did not encounter any of the problems I thought I would (like comm errors etc.) I used the keyspan and Windows 7 and it was flawless.

I strongly recommend NOT leveling your sub to 75db before running ARC. I did (based on some info from this post), and when ARC started, the sub output was too low during test tones. ARC gave me an error, and I turned up the sub to about 12 O'clock and reran ARC without issue.

I have not posted the charts, but what ARC said it could do in taming my room was nothing short of amazing. Now...whether it acutally DID that after applying the corrections I don't know. How do you verify? Can you "test" with ARC? Anyway, it sounded very different from my carefully leveled Arcam setup. Not neccesarily worse...just very noticeably different. ARC set the my sub to 120Hz and the remaining 5 speakers at 60Hz.

After applying ARC, the soundstage became very tight... even contracted. Midbass punch was astounding, and the cutoff/crossover ARC chose seems to blend well, but the soundstage is much smaller and I (so far) believe that my imaging has suffered terribly. The sound is so sterile as to be cold. No doubt ARC improved the sound in relation to the room response, but the sound in relation to my ears (again, so far) has suffered a bit. It is probably just the unfamiliar sound of a properly corrected room. I'm only offering my observation that there was not a "UREKA" moment of bliss with ARC applied.

Dolby Volume
Should Dolby Volume be turned back on after running and implementing ARC without it? Interestingly in relation to sound changes, when Dolby Volume is turned on, the soundfield changes for the better. Why would that be? I turned off DV before running ARC as per suggestions. With ARC applied, if I turn on DV for digital cable tv, the soundstage opens up, it gets louder, warmer, and the result just seems to "sound better".

Without posting your charts and target window, it is very hard for anyone to comment. Your experience is very diff than most of the posters here and on the Anthem pre/pro thread so charts are the first step to finding the problem with your setup.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #905 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles17 View Post

To make a few comments based on my initial experience with the MRX 500.

My dealer did the installation and ARC so I can not comment on any technical details; rather my comments are experienced based.

The unit was installed last Tuesday and I would guess has 30 odds hours to date. The sound is very warm and I do miss some treble and life if that makes sense. I listen to music using Anthem logic music and the soundstage is broad but not pin point accurate (I need to experiment with some subtle moving of my front speakers in the hopes this will help). I am enjoying my music more and more and know that I am going to listen to lots more music than I did with my Rotel.

For watching movies there is an improvement but I would like to be more enveloped in surround sound. I am thinking of making all my back speakers a touch louder to see if this will help. Don't get me wrong, the sound is good but am not 100% happy yet.

What I have been very happy with is the video upscaling. I have a Mede8er multimedia player linked via HDMI and the improvement in picture quality is great. Even a very average picture is improved and this has been the biggest wow factor for me.

@Boss21xd I think as the hours mount up you will see some real sound quality improvements. Hope things do get better for you and thanks so much for sharing your impressions with us. I do feel the exact same way as you though on ARC and experience!!

If you move your speakers you'll have to run ARC again. Since your dealer did the initial set up I hope your set up to run ARC after the move. ARC quick measure can be very helpful in positioning the speakers.
post #906 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Without posting your charts and target window, it is very hard for anyone to comment. Your experience is very diff than most of the posters here and on the Anthem pre/pro thread so charts are the first step to finding the problem with your setup.
John

Problem is I'm not sure I have a problem. It is entirely possible that my previous setup done with AVIA disc, RTA and radioshack meter was god awful horrible, and I just got used to it.

All I know is the unit is properly connected, my room is the nearly the same as it was previous (moved couch 4 inches after quick measuring for sub placement before ARC), and ARC sounds vastly different than anything I have heard in that space before it. Most assuredly tighter and cleaner, but with decreased width, depth and imaging. Again...not bad per se.

I will try to post some graphs tonight.

"I told my wife my A/V habit was as enjoyable as our sex life and she never touched my equipment again."
post #907 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Problem is I'm not sure I have a problem. It is entirely possible that my previous setup done with AVIA disc, RTA and radioshack meter was god awful horrible, and I just got used to it.

I think you may have nailed your problem on the head with that statement. If you have been listening to bad stuff for so long, then eventually, you are going to think that bad stuff is the norm and that's what you are going to expect to hear all of the time. When it sounds right, it's not going to sound like the bad stuff, and you are going to think that the good stuff is wrong/not right. I suggest you just sit back for a couple of weeks and just listen to what ARC has done and then decide if you want to make changes.

BTW, post your charts so that we can see what's really going on.
post #908 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

If you move your speakers you'll have to run ARC again. Since your dealer did the initial set up I hope your set up to run ARC after the move. ARC quick measure can be very helpful in positioning the speakers.

I was just looking at turning speakers a few degrees - not moving physically. Just to try and see if I could get imaging better. Would that require a rerun of ARC?
post #909 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I was just looking at turning speakers a few degrees - not moving physically. Just to try and see if I could get imaging better. Would that require a rerun of ARC?

Yes
post #910 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

Yes

Thanks ninja12 for your quick response - not what I was hoping to hear
post #911 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks ninja12 for your quick response - not what I was hoping to hear

While Ninja12 is correct, you can try it without remeasuring and give it a try. Turning them in a little doesn't show up with ARC, I've tried it, but your sensory experience may be enhanced. Your brain and ARC sense things differently. If you can tell a diff, then remeasure if you want.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #912 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickows View Post

Hi all. I'm planning on picking up an MRX500 on Monday. I will be using a Samsung netbook to do ARC. It uses Windows 7 Startup. Will I be able to run ARC with this operating system?

Apologies if a similar quesiton has been asked previously - I looked through the thread an couldn't find any info regarding this.

I used a netbook with Windows 7 Starter and it worked fine. However read the following:

I had my first expirience this weekend running ARC and I did have some problems at first. Now I don't know if this was mentioned or if I missed it but I first tried to use my PC that is plugged into the MRX via HDMI and the video go to my projector. DONT DO THIS! Little did I know that the MRX shuts down and then starts up again in a mode where the video doesn't go thru. So I reset everything and get ARC setup on my Netbook. I installed the latest version of the web site but you also need to copy the microphone serial file that is on the disk. Netbooks don't have an optical drive. Thankfully I am networked to my PC and could easily copy the file over.

After that ARC ran ok... well there were some user errors but I'll get to that later.
post #913 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornchip75 View Post

I used a netbook with Windows 7 Starter and it worked fine. However read the following:

I had my first expirience this weekend running ARC and I did have some problems at first. Now I don't know if this was mentioned or if I missed it but I first tried to use my PC that is plugged into the MRX via HDMI and the video go to my projector. DONT DO THIS! Little did I know that the MRX shuts down and then starts up again in a mode where the video doesn't go thru. So I reset everything and get ARC setup on my Netbook. I installed the latest version of the web site but you also need to copy the microphone serial file that is on the disk. Netbooks don't have an optical drive. Thankfully I am networked to my PC and could easily copy the file over.

After that ARC ran ok... well there were some user errors but I'll get to that later.

Just copy the mic file using a USB drive. The netbooks must have a USB port.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #914 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Anthony A / BRAC / Mongoose, I think I had a similar experience.

I had watched some HD tv and some DVDs and Blu-Rays for about a week after getting the MRX with no issues. Then Friday night I watched a couple of episodes of BSG on Blu and about half of the dialog sounded terrible. It was distorted and echo-y (if thats a word). All of this was coming from the center channel. Happend with DV on and off. Other shows have sounded great and still do. I never had this bad distortion sound before on this show, but before I was using a yamaha HTR-5830 using optical (so no HD audio). I don't think its the speaker because other shows have sounded great and still do. I wonder what it is because I can't imagine the audio track being that bad on the disk.

And this was before I ran ARC, and have not tried since.
post #915 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post
Just copy the mic file using a USB drive. The netbooks must have a USB port.
John
Of course that will work or you could use an external drive too. What I was saying is if all you have is a netbook then your kinda screwed (thats all I had for a few months when my laptop died). You just need an optical drive somewhere to get this unique file right?
post #916 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornchip75

Of course that will work or you could use an external drive too. What I was saying is if all you have is a netbook then your kinda screwed (thats all I had for a few months when my laptop died). You just need an optical drive somewhere to get this unique file right?
I couldn't imagine someone without a computer but then I'm sure there must be someone who doesn't.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #917 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Hi there,

Since I heard of these receivers I've followed first the old thread and now this one. And I'm also patiently waiting for the receivers to arrive somehow near me. I live in Sweden and I'm contact with the closest distributor.

I have a little odd setup when it comes to the LCR speakers, they are all JBL SVA-2100. And while they are 93db they to do like power. (YBA Passion 1000 mono blocks are my reference as it's the best amplification that have been connected to them..)

Today I have Rotel RSP-1068 processor/preamp and Odyssey Stratos HT3+ 3-channel power amp. Oh yeah, I do have surround speakers as well, Mirage Omnisat V2. Slightly smaller than the LCR speakers but it works quite good.

I use a HTPC as source for everything.

My concern/question is which model of MRX I should choose.

1/ MRX300 + keep the Odyssey power amp (probably won't use internet radio..)
2/ MRX500 + keep the Odyssey power amp (but you never know about internet radio..)
3/ MRX500 and sell the Odyssey power amp
4/ MRX700 and sell the Odyssey power amp

A lot of you have speakers that these receivers have been tested on. I'm pretty sure mine haven't been tested by Anthem themselves at least...

Thanks for any replies to this and to an entertaining and informative thread.
post #918 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 03:37 PM

As promised earlier.
LL
LL
LL

post #919 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBula View Post
Hi there,

Since I heard of these receivers I've followed first the old thread and now this one. And I'm also patiently waiting for the receivers to arrive somehow near me. I live in Sweden and I'm contact with the closest distributor.

I have a little odd setup when it comes to the LCR speakers, they are all JBL SVA-2100. And while they are 93db they to do like power. (YBA Passion 1000 mono blocks are my reference as it's the best amplification that have been connected to them..)

Today I have Rotel RSP-1068 processor/preamp and Odyssey Stratos HT3+ 3-channel power amp. Oh yeah, I do have surround speakers as well, Mirage Omnisat V2. Slightly smaller than the LCR speakers but it works quite good.

I use a HTPC as source for everything.

My concern/question is which model of MRX I should choose.

1/ MRX300 + keep the Odyssey power amp (probably won't use internet radio..)
2/ MRX500 + keep the Odyssey power amp (but you never know about internet radio..)
3/ MRX500 and sell the Odyssey power amp
4/ MRX700 and sell the Odyssey power amp

A lot of you have speakers that these receivers have been tested on. I'm pretty sure mine haven't been tested by Anthem themselves at least...

Thanks for any replies to this and to an entertaining and informative thread.
Keep the amp! Great amp btw. Pick the one you want based on features and once you have the MRX in-place make your decision to sell it or not. I'm sure the Anthem has great amps, but IMO I wouldn't sell until you're sure you don't need it.
post #920 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 04:00 PM

I just set up my mrx 500. I do not understand what the charts and results of the arc are. I am using a mca 30 for my fronts and center. studio 100's, cc690, and adp 590's for the rears. my sub is a sesmic 110. Just curious what it all means and if there is anything I should do.
Thanks for your help.
LL
LL
LL
post #921 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eking3030 View Post
I just set up my mrx 500. I do not understand what the charts and results of the arc are. I am using a mca 30 for my fronts and center. studio 100's, cc690, and adp 590's for the rears. my sub is a sesmic 110. Just curious what it all means and if there is anything I should do.
Thanks for your help.
I'm kinda in the same boat, but I do know that most of the gurus will want the "calculations" on your ARC charts. I don't think you included them.

post #922 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eking3030
Thanks for your help.
At the top of the charts is the calculate button. Click this and a solution will appear as a green line hopefully running close to the dotted(target curve). This will take about a minute depending on your computer.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #923 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As promised earlier.
taking a quick look I would say your main speakers and surrounds look like ARC has corrected pretty well everything that needed it. Your sub could be better. It has a very steep dropoff from 40-20 Hz. Make sure any crossover setting on your sub is turned off or turned all the way up to it's highest freq. This is often anywhere from 150-180 Hz. If you have any EQ in the sub, turn it off as well. Let ARC correct the sub as the resources for sub correction are plentiful in ARC. Once this is done, do another measurement and post the chart. Hope this helps.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #924 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Jayray, When the new FW comes out, can you post it on your 2nd post page.

Thanks
post #925 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

NEW FW

ARC-1 Software v3.0
MRX 700 Software Upgrade v50.02 (120 volt)
MRX 700 Software Upgrade v50.02 (230 volt)
MRX Multimedia Upgrade
MRX Serial Commands
post #926 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 04:45 PM

Sorry about that, here they are
LL
LL
LL
post #927 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Can anyone say whether the mrx receivers display volume levels onscreen?
How will ARC react to a speaker system with integrated subs like the def-techs? (From the point of view of ARC there will be no subs.)
post #928 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

NEW FW

ARC-1 Software v3.0
MRX 700 Software Upgrade v50.02 (120 volt)
MRX 700 Software Upgrade v50.02 (230 volt)
MRX Multimedia Upgrade
MRX Serial Commands

Hey Brian,
How new are these upgrades?
post #929 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hey Brian,
How new are these upgrades?

Today
post #930 of 16595 Old 12-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Today

Thanks. ARC is new to?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page