Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 313 - AVS Forum
First ... 311  312  313 314  315  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
Tigger!'s Avatar Tigger! 11:04 AM 02-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

ARC set it at 80 and moving it will be a little hard because of space. Also it set my center at 120 is that OK. My fronts are about 2ft from the side walls. Also it locked up today when switching from BDP to SAT on the MRX500 remote. I'm on 50.19

FIRST, report the lockup to Anthem and request 50.12.

As for your Center being set to 120 and your surrounds being set to 100, based on how your speakers measured, they look to be exactly correct. Your speakers simply don't go any lower so picking a lower cutoff will not help.

Now is it an issue that your cutoff on the center is 120 (and for that matter your surrounds at 100)... yes, this could be a bit of an issue as your sub is currently at 80. This leaves a big gap between between 80-120 where your levels will be to low for the center channel.

In all likelihood, there is nothing that is going to improve your center or surrounds that will get them to go lower... so the place to focus is your sub.

Your sub looks quite capable up to 120Hz, it simply needs some repositioning to get it there naturally. Use Quick Measure to play with your subs position and see if you can get the dip at 60 to come up some and perhaps the peak at 40 to come down some.

If you truely cannot move your sub, it maybe possible to tell ARC to use 120 on the sub and it may be able to mostly fill what is missing. THIS IS NOT THE RECOMMENDED APPROACH! And for most people just changing the cutoff would likely do very little. However, in your case it may work, you would need to try it. If you do, please post up your graphs so we can see what they look like after you change your sub from 80 to 120 and recalculate.

Lastly, what did ARC set your Speaker Calibration Levels at? I think we should check that your subs levels are correctly set and that should tell us.

Tigger!'s Avatar Tigger! 11:07 AM 02-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinolau View Post

I would think that if there were no problems with v50.12...then Anthem would have v50.12 posted on the website, instead of v50.19

I believe (in fact I know from personal experience) that v50.19 probably won't address all reported/known issues...but before that, Anthem was sending out v50.14 via email to those reporting problems with previous version firmware. It makes absolutely no sense that an earlier version firmware is going to address all known issues. v50.12 might be more stable than v50.19 depending on what problem is being targeted. But really...you're just trading one set of problems for another.

Personally...I'd upgrade the FW to v50.19 and see if you have any problems at all. Installing earlier FW may create problems that don't even exist.

Just my two cents...

50.19 is working for most out there, without an issue. It does appear that 50.19 has some bugs still to be worked out and I'm sure we will see a new version soon, however if it works for you, than there is no need to down grade to 50.12 and lose the other fixes that are in 50.19.

If you find you are having lockups with 50.19, then report the issue to Anthem so they know about it and request that they send you 50.12.
jayray's Avatar jayray 11:13 AM 02-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinolau View Post

I would think that if there were no problems with v50.12...then Anthem would have v50.12 posted on the website, instead of v50.19

I believe (in fact I know from personal experience) that v50.19 probably won't address all reported/known issues...but before that, Anthem was sending out v50.14 via email to those reporting problems with previous version firmware. It makes absolutely no sense that an earlier version firmware is going to address all known issues. v50.12 might be more stable than v50.19 depending on what problem is being targeted. But really...you're just trading one set of problems for another.

Personally...I'd upgrade the FW to v50.19 and see if you have any problems at all. Installing earlier FW may create problems that don't even exist.

Just my two cents...

Not necessarily since not all units share the same issues, so he might solve his problem without introducing another.
John
jsil 03:05 PM 02-26-2012
Tigger!,
My speakers are NHT VT-1.2 towers, (2)VS-1.2 satellites SB, (2)Superzero's for SBR, VS2a center and hsu VTF15H sub. I spoke to NHT last week about crossovers for my speakers and per NHT. The crossovers for Towers 40-60hz, Satellites 70-80hz, Superzero 100hz and center 60-80hz. This is for a 7.1 set up thanks. I'm going to try and move the sub around the room.
ThePrisoner's Avatar ThePrisoner 03:10 PM 02-26-2012
I use an Auralex Subdude under my Paradigm DSP-3400 sub. I'm going to try to tweak my sub some more using quick measure, if possible. Should I remove the Auralex from under my sub or leave it since I will be using it after calibration?
ThePrisoner's Avatar ThePrisoner 05:02 PM 02-26-2012
Ok. I tried to move sub more but I'm out of placement space in my living room. These are my most recent ARC measurements. Is there anything I can do by adjusting values of my graphs? My system sound great to me. I'm kinda down about not having close to reference sub performance but it is what it is. Now its time for some music and movie watching!
LL
LL
LL
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 06:10 PM 02-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

Ok. I tried to move sub more but I'm out of placement space in my living room. These are my most recent ARC measurements. Is there anything I can do by adjusting values of my graphs? My system sound great to me. I'm kinda down about not having close to reference sub performance but it is what it is. Now its time for some music and movie watching!

Since you said "My system sound great to me.", indicates that your ears are satisfied with what they are hearing. So, now it's time to do like you said and enjoy some music and movie watching.
Tigger!'s Avatar Tigger! 06:43 PM 02-26-2012
Quote:

Tigger!,
My speakers are NHT VT-1.2 towers, (2)VS-1.2 satellites SB, (2)Superzero's for SBR, VS2a center and hsu VTF15H sub. I spoke to NHT last week about crossovers for my speakers and per NHT. The crossovers for Towers 40-60hz, Satellites 70-80hz, Superzero 100hz and center 60-80hz. This is for a 7.1 set up thanks. I'm going to try and move the sub around the room.

Sorry, should have been more specific... the rear surrounds were set to 100, which based on the specs you list makes sense.

The main surrounds are set at 60, you could set them to 80 if you would prefer, they appear to be handling 60 though it is at the very edge of there capabilities.

As for the center, per your listed specs of 60-80... looking at your graph, the center brushes 80Hz, however it falls off so quickly that there is no way to nicely crossover at that frequency. I would not recommend changing the cutoff that ARC recommended. You could try 100 but I would not go 80. You can try repositioning your center if you would like to see if maybe you can improve the low end extension.

Good luck with moving the sub, I think this is where your best effort should be focused
ThePrisoner's Avatar ThePrisoner 07:02 PM 02-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

Since you said "My system sound great to me.", indicates that your ears are satisfied with what they are hearing. So, now it's time to do like you said and enjoy some music and movie watching.

Thanks to you guys in this thread for all the help in explaining what ARC does and how to utilize to my best abilities.

One other question. In setting distance to sub, should I measure to the first side of cabinet from my seat or to woofer?
jsil 09:07 PM 02-26-2012
Tigger!,

Got the sub moved and after ARC my reading for the sub is 120hz but the level calibration is -7. Going to adjust the sub level again to get a reading close to +/-3. Got done calibrating and got the FL +3, FR+3, Center -3, SR -1, SL+1, Sub +2, and both AUX +1. Sub still at 120hz. I done for today going to watch Abduction don't laugh guys. Thanks again for all your help.
Tigger!'s Avatar Tigger! 10:15 PM 02-26-2012
Quote:

Tigger!,

Got the sub moved and after ARC my reading for the sub is 120hz but the level calibration is -7. Going to adjust the sub level again to get a reading close to +/-3. Got done calibrating and got the FL +3, FR+3, Center -3, SR -1, SL+1, Sub +2, and both AUX +1. Sub still at 120hz. I done for today going to watch Abduction don't laugh guys. Thanks again for all your help.

Way to stick with it! Congrats, now sit back and enjoy!
jsil 12:39 AM 02-27-2012
Tigger!,

Please explain why you need the sub at 120hz.
Tigger!'s Avatar Tigger! 07:08 AM 02-27-2012
Quote:

Tigger!,

Please explain why you need the sub at 120hz.

Jsil,

Please read the post on the previous page. We discuss why in several of the posts. This is also well covered through out this thread.

I highly recommend reading the FAQ post on the first page of this thread (see my signature below for a link).
mjlav's Avatar mjlav 09:07 AM 02-27-2012
Hi All,
This is my first post after tons of reading. I am uploading the targets and charts from an in-wall install in my FR. I used all paradigm in-walls 3xSA-25s in front (with the center above my on-wall TV, inverted) and 2xAMS-100s in the ceiling above the listening position. I then have an Epik Legend sub, about 1/3 along the front wall. Again, system powered by an MRX300. I'd love to get some feedback about the charts...obviously I can do nothing about positioning the speakers, but was impressed by the measurements. System sound exceeds my expectations. Thanks!

Mjlav
LL
LL
LL
dglozic's Avatar dglozic 09:50 AM 02-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlav View Post

Hi All,
This is my first post after tons of reading. I am uploading the targets and charts from an in-wall install in my FR. I used all paradigm in-walls 3xSA-25s in front (with the center above my on-wall TV, inverted) and 2xAMS-100s in the ceiling above the listening position. I then have an Epik Legend sub, about 1/3 along the front wall. Again, system powered by an MRX300. I'd love to get some feedback about the charts...obviously I can do nothing about positioning the speakers, but was impressed by the measurements. System sound exceeds my expectations. Thanks!

Mjlav

Hahaha - I was just looking at your charts and wondered why most of us have measured charts drop after 10kHz or so, while you have fairly flat highs for your surrounds when I realized that they are in-ceiling and firing directly at the ARC microphone . Otherwise it looks fairly good. Your fronts have a dip in the upper bass region (may be the in-wall installation) that you cannot do anything about but ARC fixed it. Your sub also looks fairly good - the sound should be fairly good based on the charts alone.
Hostility's Avatar Hostility 10:10 AM 02-27-2012
I'm curious, with the mrx 300 can it still be updated with firmware as it doesn't have Ethernet or USB? I'm looking at either the 300 or 500 as a prepro and it's strictly for ht and gaming so I don't need Internet radio stuff.
rwheelwright's Avatar rwheelwright 10:12 AM 02-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post

I'm curious, with the mrx 300 can it still be updated with firmware as it doesn't have Ethernet or USB? I'm looking at either the 300 or 500 as a prepro and it's strictly for ht and gaming so I don't need Internet radio stuff.

Of course. All the MRX models update their firmware via serial port. Now, if yo udo not have a serial port you can get a USB to serial adapter which many people have used. I believe the Keyspan is the approved brand. As for model, I am not sure but I know it is listed all over this topic.
Tigger!'s Avatar Tigger! 10:27 AM 02-27-2012
Quote:

Hi All,

Mjlav

Your charts and Targets look really good. As you said, not much you could do to change things now... but I don't think you need to, they look really good!

Enjoy!
jsil 10:33 AM 02-27-2012
Here are the new charts after moving the sub. I turned the sub so it's at a 90 degree angle. This help to bring my sub to 120hz.
LL
LL
LL
jayray's Avatar jayray 11:05 AM 02-27-2012
Quote:

Here are the new charts after moving the sub. I turn the sub so it's at a 90 degree angle. This help to bring my sub to 120hz.

Your sub looks very good now. You should notice some great kick drum effects now as well as good low end punch. Enjoy.
John
Tigger!'s Avatar Tigger! 12:03 PM 02-27-2012
Quote:

Here are the new charts after moving the sub. I turn the sub so it's at a 90 degree angle. This help to bring my sub to 120hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Your sub looks very good now. You should notice some great kick drum effects now as well as good low end punch. Enjoy.
John

+1

Way to stick with it. I'm sure you are going to find the hard work paid off
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 12:18 PM 02-27-2012
Quote:

Hi All,

Mjlav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

Your charts and Targets look really good. As you said, not much you could do to change things now... but I don't think you need to, they look really good!

Enjoy!

I'm in 100% agreement with Tigger's assessment. Now, it's time to see if your ears are in 100% agreement with your charts.
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 12:20 PM 02-27-2012
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

+1

Way to stick with it. I'm sure you are going to find the hard work paid off

Yep, I am in agreement again. Looks good, and hopefully, it sounds as good!! Enjoy!!
jsil 02:26 PM 02-27-2012
I have to agree the sub does sound much better and more tight I'm happy. Just wished that the usb could be use with my itouch like my denon did for Pandora.
Hostility's Avatar Hostility 03:29 PM 02-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post

Of course. All the MRX models update their firmware via serial port. Now, if yo udo not have a serial port you can get a USB to serial adapter which many people have used. I believe the Keyspan is the approved brand. As for model, I am not sure but I know it is listed all over this topic.

ok thanks, Was planning on the 700, but think for close to the same price im going to get the 300 + xpa5
audit13's Avatar audit13 03:32 PM 02-27-2012
Quote:

ok thanks, Was planning on the 700, but think for close to the same price im going to get the 300 + xpa5

I suggest you listen to the mrx300 on its own before getting adding external amp. You'll be surprised at how good it sounds on its own
Hostility's Avatar Hostility 04:02 PM 02-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I suggest you listen to the mrx300 on its own before getting adding external amp. You'll be surprised at how good it sounds on its own

Yea ill give it a shot. I always like to have mo powa! lol, so i figured if im willing to spend the money on a 700, why not get the 300 with external amp. But yea i will give it a shot on its own.

Im coming from an onkyo 807
audit13's Avatar audit13 04:05 PM 02-27-2012
Quote:

Yea ill give it a shot. I always like to have mo powa! lol, so i figured if im willing to spend the money on a 700, why not get the 300 with external amp. But yea i will give it a shot on its own.

Im coming from an onkyo 807

I went from an Onkyo 705 to Marantz 7002 and the Anthem. I was amazed at the increase in sound quality, detail, bass, etc.
mwinely's Avatar mwinely 04:05 PM 02-27-2012
I'm a new poster to this thread - about 3 weeks from picking up my mrx-500. I second audit13's assessment above. I was in my local av store to audition the anthem 500 versus the integra model at roughly the same price (50.3 I think). They did not have the 500 in the audition room, but had the 300 instead. To my ears, the sound from the 300 was warmer, more detailed, and dynamic than the integra at 500 bucks more. That sold me on the anthem immediately. I can't wait to pick mine up several weeks from now and hope to read some more user reviews on how they like their anthem in the meantime.
Hostility's Avatar Hostility 05:13 PM 02-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinely View Post

I'm a new poster to this thread - about 3 weeks from picking up my mrx-500. I second audit13's assessment above. I was in my local av store to audition the anthem 500 versus the integra model at roughly the same price (50.3 I think). They did not have the 500 in the audition room, but had the 300 instead. To my ears, the sound from the 300 was warmer, more detailed, and dynamic than the integra at 500 bucks more. That sold me on the anthem immediately. I can't wait to pick mine up several weeks from now and hope to read some more user reviews on how they like their anthem in the meantime.

One thing i really like is that the people in this thread are so helpful, and it seems after you run your arc and post up results people are willing to help you in the right direction to making it sound just right!
Tags: Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
First ... 311  312  313 314  315  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop