Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 325 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9721 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You need to turn down your sub a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

OK, I run PBK's quick measurement after I connected my MRX to the right connection of my Sub 25. There was a big difference. I had to find a new location and orientation for my sub. After that I run PBK and then ARC. Now it sounds even better than what I had the first time. The base is house shaking at all locations and the speakers blend too good. But what surprised me was the speakers' levels got much higher than the first time. The first time all speakers were about one or two db higher or lower than zero except sub that was -8db. This time my speakers are as follows:
FL: +6db
C: +4db
FR: +7db
SR: +5db
SL: +4db
Sub: -6db
I don't know what I did wrong. I did not zeroed out the speakers levels before running ARC because ARC will zero out all speakers before running test tones.
Attached are my charts. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

OK, I run PBK's quick measurement after I connected my MRX to the right connection of my Sub 25. There was a big difference. I had to find a new location and orientation for my sub. After that I run PBK and then ARC. Now it sounds even better than what I had the first time. The base is house shaking at all locations and the speakers blend too good. But what surprised me was the speakers' levels got much higher than the first time. The first time all speakers were about one or two db higher or lower than zero except sub that was -8db. This time my speakers are as follows:
I don't know what I did wrong. I did not zeroed out the speakers levels before running ARC because ARC will zero out all speakers before running test tones.

Your charts look really good. The only problem is that your sub is turned up too high which is why it's set to -6. Just turn your sub down a couple of notches and rerun ARC.

Also, you get my vote to be entered into jayray's Sub Hall Of Fame!!
post #9723 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

your charts look really good. The only problem is that your sub is turned up too high which is why it's set to -6. Just turn your sub down a couple of notches and rerun arc.

Also, you get my vote to be entered into jayray's sub hall of fame!!

+1

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9724 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

++1 Agree with all of the above! Turn the sub down a bit and I think the levels will settle back down. Sub chart is very nice.

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #9725 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Your charts look really good. The only problem is that your sub is turned up too high which is why it's set to -6. Just turn your sub down a couple of notches and rerun ARC.

Also, you get my vote to be entered into jayray's Sub Hall Of Fame!!

Thanks George, Ninja12, Jayray and Tigger for a great compliment.
My sub's vollume was the same the first time and all my speakers were around zero after ARC. I will run ARC again with lower sub vollume. Any idea why my speaker levels are too high?
post #9726 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks George, Ninja12, Jayray and Tigger for a great compliment.
My sub's vollume was the same the first time and all my speakers were around zero after ARC. I will run ARC again with lower sub vollume. Any idea why my speaker levels are too high?

Because ARC is trying to match the volume, for your speakers, with your sub's volume.
post #9727 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Because ARC is trying to match the volume, for your speakers, with your sub's volume.

Thanks ninja12.
I will report my new ARC.
post #9728 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Liked: 11
So i did ARC again, moved the right front speaker slightly more, the fiance hasn't noticed so i think i might be in luck with leaving it there. Also changed how and where i put the mic. Kept mic at same height for all positions and put it in 4 positions around the couch with 1 position in front of the main listening position.

Set the cut offs for 30 but thinking I might put them back to 40, just to make sure i don't damage the speaker and also just to ensure the neighbours don't complain.

Any thoughts on the graphs now would be appreciated though. I think this is as close to perfect i will be able to get it for now but still happy to keep working on it with suggestions.
LL
LL
LL
post #9729 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

So, clearly the XLR's would only be an option for the Integrated 225, as the MRX does not have XLR inputs.

This question is going to come down to a number of things. Do you prefer the D/A converter in the Oppo over the one in the MRX? If yes, then the Integrated 225 maybe your best bet for music. Obviously for the MRX you will be connecting the Oppo using a digital source (most of us use HDMI). You would not want to use the analog input from the Oppo if you were running it to the MRX. (see previous post)

Keep in mind however, that the MRX has ARC, which is bound to be a much larger game changer for most, in the sound department, than the possible differences between the D/A converters in the Oppo vs MRX.

If you are considering the MRX regardless, why not start with the MRX and if you really feel D/A converter in the Oppo has a better sound, then consider the Integrated 225. But remember, the 225 will not have ARC for room correction, so you will likely be listening to your room more than the difference of the D/A converters.

Indeed, starting with the MRX seems the way to go. You got the crux of my question, namely, which pair sounds better, the MRX internal D/A to its preamp-amp, or the Oppo D/A to some int. amp via XLR. I have no idea how much you'd lose over the XLR lines vs whatever you lose in the MRX. But if ARC dominates D/A considerations, the diff is moot.

Incidentally, I considered the AudioControl AVR-4 receiver as well, but it seems more analog-oriented than the MRX line, and I'd like to be all-digital, unless there's a compelling reason to use the XLR connection. Interestingly, I was just on the AudioControl website and noticed they have a processor and amplifier pair, the Maestro M4 and the Savoy G3, respectively. (The M4 looks like the AVR-4 without the int. amp, and adding XLR outputs) It would appear, by the connections provided by the pair, that XLR would be the argued for hook up. Additionally, the separate G3 is 200W, instead of 120W for the AVR-4 and MRX 700. So, if one were to judge by the introduction of that pair, AudioControl seems to be making a case for XLR producing a better sound--else why would they compete with their own AVR-4? If that weren't so, they could simply make an AVR-5, much like the contemplated MRX 900. I haven't checked the D/A specs on any of the AudioControl equipment. Also, if room correction dominates the sound quality, then I guess it would come down to whether you needed 200W or not, and which of the room correction softwares was better (though I didn't see any mention of a room correction software at AudioControl--perhaps you are expected to use a 3rd-party offering. Update: I see they have a room correction processor called Diva.).
post #9730 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouiff View Post

So i did ARC again, moved the right front speaker slightly more, the fiance hasn't noticed so i think i might be in luck with leaving it there. Also changed how and where i put the mic. Kept mic at same height for all positions and put it in 4 positions around the couch with 1 position in front of the main listening position.

Set the cut offs for 30 but thinking I might put them back to 40, just to make sure i don't damage the speaker and also just to ensure the neighbours don't complain.

Any thoughts on the graphs now would be appreciated though. I think this is as close to perfect i will be able to get it for now but still happy to keep working on it with suggestions.

Graphs look great. More important is how does it sound at your primary listening position and secondly at your other listening positions?

post #9731 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

Litlgi74,

This is interesting, so the lockups only occure with 50.19 (either version) and the buzing is corrected with the new DSP2...

You might ask Piero if DSP2 v50.03 is compatible with the Main Firmware release 50.12. Perhaps you can load the new DSP2 firmware over 50.12 and see if that solves both issues.... would be interesting to see. I would only try this if Piero or Nick says that the DSP2 firmware will work with the older Main Firmware!!!

Yay!

After trying FW 50.19, 50.20b and 50.22. All with different lock up problems of their own... I finally got the okay to go ahead and update the DSP2 portion of FW 50.12 with the DSP2 portion 50.19... and all seems to be going quite well!

Fingers crossed!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #9732 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM

Tigger

Glad to get that news. So you think they look better than before?

I have only listened to music which i have always thought sounded great to be honest, not sure if i have noticed alot of difference on the music side of things although i may playt around and turn off arc to see the difference.

Played 50 minutes of Tron last night and it did sound very good, i guess it's a different kind of sound track but it was great. I thought the low end may be a tad low and was worried about that with the neighbours so as mentioned i will bump that up to 40 (at present it's at 30) and i will watch a few moives over the weekend for the final verdict but it does sound very good from the lmited viewing so far.

Cheers
Heath
post #9733 of 16720 Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by asur1 View Post

You got the crux of my question, namely, which pair sounds better, the MRX internal D/A to its preamp-amp, or the Oppo D/A to some int. amp via XLR. I have no idea how much you'd lose over the XLR lines vs whatever you lose in the MRX. But if ARC dominates D/A considerations, the diff is moot.

Let's look at the actual potential causes of sonic differences here.

Noise. XLR are "better" than unbalanced RCA. They are better because they reject noise better than unbalanced RCA connectors. In most domestic systems cable-induced noise is not an issue, though in some it is. However, a digital connection is generally going to be equally noise-free. So in this case, I'd call the type of I/O a wash.

ARC: Point MRX, no discussion needed.

Bass management: See "ARC," supra.

Power: The MRX amps are perfectly competent to power most systems, but aren't anything special. The 225 is in a different league power-wise, and can play full-throttle for much longer because they have a lot more heat sinking. Rated like an AVR (including Anthem's) it would likely be called a ~325W unit, rather than 225W continuous with 1.5dB headroom. That said, when playing music even at deafening levels, amps rarely run full throttle for more than a few bursts.) If you use very inefficient or hard-to-drive speakers, the 225 is a better choice. The Anthem 225 is the most impressive integrated I've ever seen. It's certainly ballsier than the Classe one I have in a different home. If they upgrade their next-gen unit to have bass management and room correction like the Harman/Kardon 990, I'll buy one for my bedroom.

Phono input: Point 225, no discussion needed.

On balance, to me that points to the MRX as being the better-sounding solution. Though if you don't use ARC or bass management then the 225 is better because it has easily .

By contrast, the DACs will not sound absolutely identical, and in both cases you only have one stage of conversion. (No A/D/A loops.) Both Oppo and Anthem have excellent modern designs, and competently execute them. DACs just aren't a source of sonic variation in modern equipment. (Well, except for some "high end" gear that is incompetently designed, poorly built, or shipped out with inadequate quality-control screening. Anthem may occasionally have some QC issues - my first MRX 300 shipped to me with a dead video something - but their gear is all competently designed for low noise, low distortion, and flat frequency response.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asur1 View Post

So, if one were to judge by the introduction of that pair, AudioControl seems to be making a case for XLR producing a better sound--else why would they compete with their own AVR-4?

That is more likely than not the incorrect inference. AudioControl (another company known for its solid design and general lack of BS) probably did it just because they could capture more sales by having separates, as opposed to an AVR. And make higher margins on the separates than an AVR. And get audiophool goodwill by having the expected "high end" parts. (Many functionally deaf people wouldn't be caught dead under any circumstances with a lowly AVR instead of multiple separate boxes doing the exact same thing with the exact same fidelity to the source material; they seem to think it will lead to a revocation of their man-card or something.)

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #9734 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

Yay!

After trying FW 50.19, 50.20b and 50.22. All with different lock up problems of their own... I finally got the okay to go ahead and update the DSP2 portion of FW 50.12 with the DSP2 portion 50.19... and all seems to be going quite well!

Fingers crossed!

Interesting..
post #9735 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouiff View Post

I would suggest keeping it at 30 for a while or at least until you notice speakers bottoming out or neighbours complaining. Based on your charts your L/R speakers have the -3dB point at around 35Hz in that particular position. If you place the cutoffs at 40, you will be taking away some of the output that they are still capable of producing. Remember, all the bass in your system is coming from your L/R pair - it is important to reach as low as possible. In fact, if it was me, I would run them flat (full range) because even at 30Hz the curve slopes down higher, robbing you of 1 or 2dB at the natural speaker rolloff. Before MRX, I ran my B&W 805 speakers with Arcam A85 amplifier pure direct (no filters whatsoever in the chain) and nothing happen, except good sound .
post #9736 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM

Greetings from across the pond

I Thought it was time to post up my graphs, I can definitely tell the difference with ARC enabled :smashin: Just watched Underworld Awakening ! very good sound on that.

Quick overview on setup,
  • Speaker are mounted high up on walls just beneath ceiling
  • Sub crossover = set to highest
  • Sub phase = 0
  • Sub amplifier mode = on, other options are auto high or auto low

I have these speakers
Movie 2005 - Movie Series - CANTON German loudspeaker tradition (en)
Mounted high up on the walls in each corner of the room just beneath the ceiling (i know not ideal but thats all the choices I have)

With this sub
SUB 8 - Active Subwoofer - CANTON German loudspeaker tradition (en)
(soon to be replaced with a Seismic 110)

So I am unable to move the speakers as they are fixed to the walls although I could change the brackets to moveable ones if need be.

The sub is positioned in a bay window behind a corner sofa so not much room for position change ;(

Here we are,

I checked the Speakers db gain setup in the Anthem GUI and they were all with 2 steps of zero :smashin:.

Should all my cutoffs be set at 120 aswell as the sub?
Looks like there is something wrong with my right surround?.

Thanks for looking

J
post #9737 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 AM

Is there anyone in Jayray's sub hall of fame that doesn't have a Paradigm sub? Congrats usxplong on joining that elite club. My first measurements will come tomorrow, but I know I won't be in it.
post #9738 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinely View Post

Is there anyone in Jayray's sub hall of fame that doesn't have a Paradigm sub? Congrats usxplong on joining that elite club. My first measurements will come tomorrow, but I know I won't be in it.

I'm in, and I don't have a Paradigm Sub. I have a Velodyne DD-18.
post #9739 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Did you use the DD18's built-in EQ before or after you ran ARC? Did ARC make much of a difference with your DD18?
post #9740 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

Did you use the DD18's built-in EQ before or after you ran ARC? Did ARC make much of a difference with your DD18?

I used the built-in EQ before I ran ARC. What do you really mean by did ARC make much of a difference? If you're asking if ARC had to make a lot of corrections for my sub, then the answer is no. You can see my sub's FR in the link below. ARC did blend my sub with the rest of my speakers very nicely and the bass is not localizable. It just fills the room very nicely.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21761845
post #9741 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlad2000 View Post

Greetings from across the pond

I Thought it was time to post up my graphs, I can definitely tell the difference with ARC enabled :smashin: Just watched Underworld Awakening ! very good sound on that.

Quick overview on setup,
  • Speaker are mounted high up on walls just beneath ceiling
  • Sub crossover = set to highest
  • Sub phase = 0
  • Sub amplifier mode = on, other options are auto high or auto low

I have these speakers
Movie 2005 - Movie Series - CANTON German loudspeaker tradition (en)
Mounted high up on the walls in each corner of the room just beneath the ceiling (i know not ideal but thats all the choices I have)

With this sub
SUB 8 - Active Subwoofer - CANTON German loudspeaker tradition (en)
(soon to be replaced with a Seismic 110)

So I am unable to move the speakers as they are fixed to the walls although I could change the brackets to moveable ones if need be.

The sub is positioned in a bay window behind a corner sofa so not much room for position change ;(

Here we are,

I checked the Speakers db gain setup in the Anthem GUI and they were all with 2 steps of zero :smashin:.

Should all my cutoffs be set at 120 aswell as the sub?
Looks like there is something wrong with my right surround?.

Thanks for looking

J

Things look good! ARC has done a great job with your limitations.

The Right Surround puzzled me at first as well... than I noticed the scale of your Y axis. It looks like you accidently zoomed out on that graph. Hit the "Auto Scale" button and it should snap back to the standard Zoom level and I think it will look much more like your Left. I don't think anything is wrong with it from what I can make out in the zoomed out view.

As for 120, this is a little unusual, but it appears to be correct based on the way your speakers measured. I'm guessing these speakers are usually sold as a set including the sub and as such have been matched to the subs crossover electronicly in the speakers themselves.

post #9742 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

To get a picture as pretty as Jayray's, you really have to have a sub with built in EQ that is run before hand... that is why the red measured line already looks so good when ARC runs. The EQ in the sub did most of the heavy lifting. Then you run ARC afterwards and it cleans up any small things that are left

For those of us that don't have an EQ system like PBK built into our subs... their "Pre ARC EQ Sub" graphs sort of feel like they cheated lol, but the reality is, even if your measured curve doesn't look as pretty as theirs, our non EQ'd subs still usually end up with a calculated curve that is pretty good after we run ARC.

One thing that is interesting though... you know that if you were to look at Jayrays PBK graphs, they would show a sub that has peaks and valleys and a nice flat calculated curve. The fact that ARC measures the sub after PBK has been applied lets you see just how close PBK was able to get the sub when you see the measured line in ARC! (And for those of us without PBK, what our subs would likely look like if we could do a measurment after ARC was applied).

post #9743 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
A nice addition to ARC would be the ability to measure after running it to actually see the corrected curves instead of the calculated ones. I don't see why this can't be implemented, the hardware and software are already there.
post #9744 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

A nice addition to ARC would be the ability to measure after running it to actually see the corrected curves instead of the calculated ones. I don't see why this can't be implemented, the hardware and software are already there.

The calculated curve just like the measured curve is a average for the room. Measuring after ARC is applied the curves would probably not match up perfectly and then Anthem support would be getting more calls than would care to have and spend time explaining something that is normal.
post #9745 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. It takes time and patience but once you get it, you will always have smile on your face especially when you see others being amazed by your system.
post #9746 of 16720 Old 03-15-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

The calculated curve just like the measured curve is a average for the room. Measuring after ARC is applied the curves would probably not match up perfectly and then Anthem support would be getting more calls than would care to have and spend time explaining something that is normal.

+1 Yup, I can see the headache already... though I have to admit, it would still be a nice "Advanced" feature... even it it were simply using "Quick Measure" in a special mode where it does not reset the MRX and disable ARC. Somethings ARC may think it can fix, that it actually can't... where a reposition might be able to help, so it would be nice to see where a pre-existing issues ARC tried to correct did not actually come close to the target set by the calculated curve.

Guess this is why I really have to take the time one of these weekends to sit down and learn REW (Room EQ Wizard)... I've got the Calibrated Mic and have of course downloaded the software and manual... just haven't had time to play with it or finish reading the manual.

post #9747 of 16720 Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
+2. I'd be all for the ability to measure After results as well, or to be able to use QUick Measure without erasing your ARC settings.

BTW, the ARC mic can be used with REW or other measurement programs. It seems about as accurate as the uncalibrated Behringer ECM mic.
post #9748 of 16720 Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 AM

I picked up my MRX-500 yesterday and I am one happy owner this morning. I did not get a chance to tweak much yesterday. I ran through ARC one time. After completion, I put in A House of Flying Daggers, the scene with the drums. Wow!!! I realize that I never truly was engaging the surrounds properly. Once I uploaded the correction and played the scene, it was amazing.
Overall - the clarity and detail in music and movies through my limited time is fabulous - and I know I haven't optimized my system yet.
My first attempt at ARC, I turned my sub down as I read a number of posts in this thread and the sub was typically too loud. I overcompensated and it was too soft and was not able to read it properly. Once I upped the sub level, I got it too loud again - oh well.
ARC is a great tool and also a bad tool. You get so much information, I know better now what my speaker limitations are - this is going to cost me some money. I am in the market for a Paradigm SUB15 at minimum, maybe a SUB2
My speakers are as follows:
Paradigm Monitor 9 v.6 for fronts
Paradigm CC290 v.6 center
Paradigm PV150 in-walls for surrounds.
JBL ES250P 12" sub
My surrounds are much less sensitive than my fronts and centers which are easy to tell by my level measurements.

FL 0db
FR 0 db
CTR +2 db
Surr R +8 db
Surr L +6 db
Surr Back R +6db
Surr Back L +8db
Sub -8 db
My charts are attached. I would appreciate some feedback. I will re-run again with my sub turned down. I was curious though whether I should expect much of a difference in my overall speaker response. I will experiment with some different sub and front locations. Thanks for any help you can give me. Regardless, my sound is an order of magnitude better than I have ever had now without doing anything else.
Attachment 240730

Attachment 240731

Attachment 240732
LL
LL
LL
post #9749 of 16720 Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If possible find some back boxes for the PVs. It will increase their performance and efficiency. We've used Dynamat for same situations. In most cases, they can be retrofitted.
TJG
post #9750 of 16720 Old 03-17-2012, 09:58 AM

Thanks for that suggestion. I will look into that. Has anyone used Millenia Series for surrounds? I don't think I can get away with mounting ADP's on wall in our living room/HT area.
Also - how easy is it to get out in-walls once installed. i have not tried to do that.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com