Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 349 - AVS Forum
First ... 347  348  349 350  351  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
jayray's Avatar jayray 01:14 PM 04-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

I suppose it depends on how high the dolby volume settings are set to - but on my Arcam when I enabled Dolby Volume you wouldn't get sudden noticeable changes/compression mid-way through a film -or change on pause/re-playback - Dolby Volume is very sophisticated and works well - ie you shouldnt get any sudden reductions in dynamic range

check that the other Dolby range control (see 4.6.7 of manual) is not enabled

It seems to have quirks on the MRX can 't say on other receivers.
John

Apgood's Avatar Apgood 04:59 PM 04-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtchoice View Post

hi guys,
new to the avs. but has been browsing for years.

i recenlty set up my HT in the new aprt. my set up is follow
F: dynaudio c1 markii
c: DYnaudio sc center
R: Dynaudio DM 2/6
sub: Paradigm sub 12
Receiver: MRX 700

my listening enviroment is not that pefect as in a gprock apartment.
from the tv to my seat is about 3.6m. wide of the rear speakers are 3.3m.
after runing the ARC, I got the chart below.
can anyone have a look and any comments is appreciated.

meanwhile, i just hook up a bd cambridge 751 with the mrx700.
after watching few buleray movies, i am experince something strange.
after a movie starts for a while, the whole audio sound just dramatically reduced, however, if i pause the movie, and resume again, the sound level back to loud, but after a while, especially after big bang bang explosion sence, the sound level fade out again, and i have no idea what is the problem. i never had the problem when i use my htpc connection. any one can give me some idea. thanks

I have that same issue everytime after I firmware upgrade my mrx. What I do to fix it is re-upload my saved arc file.
rtchoice's Avatar rtchoice 03:05 AM 04-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

It does cause strange things as many have noted.
John

you are superb John. problem solved. now i am really enjoy the anthem. cheers.

by the way, does my ARC looks alright?
markabuckley's Avatar markabuckley 03:23 AM 04-22-2012
^^ so was Dolby Volume the problem ?

what are people's opinions of Dolby Volume (set to the minimal settings - ie non too obtrusive) - is it good ? I am quite happy with my current receiver - but 2 things attract me to the Anthem (1) ARC (of course) and (2) almost as important to me Dolby Volume. I had Dolby Volume on my Arcam and it was brilliant - used it all the time - as I get fed up with constantly holding remote and changing volume on current receiver ...

I'd thought that Dolby Volume should be the same on all receivers that have it ? as I think it is a propietary licenced set of software routines is it not ? therefore "should" be the same on all receivers that have it ?

thanks
richmagnus's Avatar richmagnus 07:44 AM 04-22-2012
I use Dolby volume in the evenings because of sleeping children and it works flawlessly on my MRX 300. It is the same as it was on my Arcam AVR 500 that the Anthem replaced. Very useful and much much better than Audyssey Dynamic EQ which was so OTT.
markabuckley's Avatar markabuckley 08:15 AM 04-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post

I use Dolby volume in the evenings because of sleeping children and it works flawlessly on my MRX 300. It is the same as it was on my Arcam AVR 500 that the Anthem replaced. Very useful and much much better than Audyssey Dynamic EQ which was so OTT.

thanks Rich - perhaps the reports are just from people that don't like the effect then or have the Dolby Volume settings too high/aggressive
jayray's Avatar jayray 08:36 AM 04-22-2012
Quote:

thanks Rich - perhaps the reports are just from people that don't like the effect then or have the Dolby Volume settings too high/aggressive

Usually people don't like it for movies.
John
audit13's Avatar audit13 08:40 AM 04-22-2012
Hi Everyone,

I've been enjoying my mrx for months and love the sound.

I have been using a media player and htpc to play my audio files, including 2.0 and 5.1 channel flac, all via hdmi. I tested the usb ports on the Anthem and I found that it can't play high bitrate flac or wav files. I'm on firmware 50.12. MP3s and stereo 44.1/16 wav are fine.

Anyone know what types of files the mrx will play? It's not a big deal for me because I can continue to use my htpc or media player.
markabuckley's Avatar markabuckley 10:07 AM 04-22-2012
Quote:

Usually people don't like it for movies.
John

its main purpose is for movies is it not ?
jayray's Avatar jayray 10:41 AM 04-22-2012
Quote:

Commercials often have higher vol levels compared to the program material so it seems to work better for that.
John
Tigger!'s Avatar Tigger! 12:36 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:

Quote:

Commercials often have higher vol levels compared to the program material so it seems to work better for that.
John

I think most of us use it for night time watching. I use it mostly for TV as it helps with commercials, as Jayray pointed out... and it helps with quiet passages that are hard to hear without loud listening volumes as well as it helps to tames loud explosions and gun shots, etc.

It will work fine with movies, but part of the fun of movie sound tracks is the dynamics of the sound track and, for obvious reasons, Dolby Volume tames them considerably which takes away from some of the punch and suspense that the sound track can add with its dramatic volume changes.

I use dolby volume on for my cable box and leave it off for my bluray player.
richmagnus's Avatar richmagnus 12:53 PM 04-22-2012
I find it very effective for late night movie viewing but would not use to watch a big blockbuster. I would wait till everyone is out!!!!!!
DS-21's Avatar DS-21 02:39 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:

what are people's opinions of Dolby Volume (set to the minimal settings - ie non too obtrusive) - is it good ?

Keep in mind that DV is actually two discrete parts, a "modeler" (a loudness compensation program similar to Audyssey DynamicEQ) and a "leveler" (a dynamic compressor program similar to Audyssey Dynamic Volume).

I've never used the "leveler," mostly because I've not figured out how to have it automatically come on for TV viewing and then turn off when I switch to SACD/DVD-A or AppleTV. Seems that it's a global-only setting.

I use the "modeler" all the time, and like it. Like Audyssey DynamicEQ (which I also quite liked) it does a good job of maintaining a perceptually-similar spectral balance. One just has to play with different reference-level offset setting to get it to work optimally.
jayray's Avatar jayray 02:53 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Keep in mind that DV is actually two discrete parts, a "modeler" (a loudness compensation program similar to Audyssey DynamicEQ) and a "leveler" (a dynamic compressor program similar to Audyssey Dynamic Volume).

I've never used the "leveler," mostly because I've not figured out how to have it automatically come on for TV viewing and then turn off when I switch to SACD/DVD-A or AppleTV. Seems that it's a global-only setting.

I use the "modeler" all the time, and like it. Like Audyssey DynamicEQ (which I also quite liked) it does a good job of maintaining a perceptually-similar spectral balance. One just has to play with different reference-level offset setting to get it to work optimally.

My problem is I don't have kids around so I can play as loud as I want all the time.
John
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar Spurrier Sucks 03:15 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglozic View Post

Anthem places the file with the data in the 'Documents' folder with the .ARC extension. Just copy that file to a USB thumb drive and paste it into your laptop's 'Documents' folder (also install the same ARC tool on your laptop). When you launch it and get it to 'open file', the file you pasted into Documents should be there. But this is just a convenience - you can really load and save files anywhere.

I had to update to the latest ARC FW update and now it will open the file so I can see the graphs. How do I copy the graphs so I can show them? I've tried to copy and paste but i don't seem to be able to do so. Any help? I see it can be done because other people are doing it.
saeyedoc's Avatar saeyedoc 03:35 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post

I had to update to the latest ARC FW update and now it will open the file so I can see the graphs. How do I copy the graphs so I can show them? I've tried to copy and paste but i don't seem to be able to do so. Any help? I see it can be done because other people are doing it.

Print screen, then use paint. It's in the FAQ.
DS-21's Avatar DS-21 03:57 PM 04-22-2012
Interesting news from the comments section of a loudspeaker review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. David A. Rich View Post

With regard to room-correction reviews, I have an upcoming one on the Anthem ARC, which I employed in the speaker review. The unit's Quick Measure function was especially useful for quickly locating optimal speaker placement.

While he doesn't say it, given the prices he mentions in the review ("In the $4500 price range, two PC-3.5s, two well placed mono subwoofers, and a good digital room equalizer/bass management system form a 4 way system which would be competitive with some speaker systems costing over $10,000.") I suspect he's talking about an MRX unit and not a pre/pro.

That's one review I'm looking forward to seeing!

Due respect to Prof. Rubinson, who has done more to promote multichannel music reproduction than anyone else, but Dr. Rich is the best in the business.

NOT the most readable, perhaps (by a long shot), but the one who provides the best information, unencumbered by various mythological idiocies about wires, amps, etc. (One will never read what brand of "interconnects" are used in one of Dr. Rich's reviews!)

I'll be especially interested to see how he handles the issue that has thus far stumped me: how to actually measure what ARC does in room, given that there are no multichannel analog inputs to accept measurement signals.
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar Spurrier Sucks 04:07 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Print screen, then use paint. It's in the FAQ.

Where in FAQ? Maybe I'm just not looking good enough but I don't see it. Do I need any certain software to print and paint because I don't see anything like that? Sorry for the questions but it's the only way to learn.
sharp10's Avatar sharp10 04:20 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:

Where in FAQ? Maybe I'm just not looking good enough but I don't see it. Do I need any certain software to print and paint because I don't see anything like that? Sorry for the questions but it's the only way to learn.

If you go to page one of this thread, click on the first link by Tigger, I think it is post 3849

I you are using windows, you should have Microsoft paint.
sharp10's Avatar sharp10 04:22 PM 04-22-2012
This post has step by step instructions for running ARC. It also includes how to post your graphs in paint.
Ouiff's Avatar Ouiff 04:25 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:

If you look on your keyboard you will see one of the keys will say something like pntscr or it may actually say print screen. It may be a function key if using a laptop so you will need to press the function key then the print screen key.

This is basically doing a copy of the screen that you are actually viewing when you press the key.

Next step is to open microsoft paint. Click start and type in paint and you should see it pop up in your list of options. Click to open this, then in the white area on the screen, right click and select paste.

From here you can play around with it if you want to crop it (get rid of the detail you don't need, but this isn't necessary) then save it - file, save as and select file type and location.

Good luck
lerxst's Avatar lerxst 05:11 PM 04-22-2012
Re: the usage of Print Screen for capturing ARC graphs, if you use Alt-Print Screen, i.e. hold down the Alt key in combination with the Print Screen key, Windows will copy just the currently selected window, rather than the entire Windows desktop.

Dan
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar Spurrier Sucks 05:16 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp10 View Post

If you go to page one of this thread, click on the first link by Tigger, I think it is post 3849

I you are using windows, you should have Microsoft paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp10 View Post

This post has step by step instructions for running ARC. It also includes how to post your graphs in paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouiff View Post

If you look on your keyboard you will see one of the keys will say something like pntscr or it may actually say print screen. It may be a function key if using a laptop so you will need to press the function key then the print screen key.

This is basically doing a copy of the screen that you are actually viewing when you press the key.

Next step is to open microsoft paint. Click start and type in paint and you should see it pop up in your list of options. Click to open this, then in the white area on the screen, right click and select paste.

From here you can play around with it if you want to crop it (get rid of the detail you don't need, but this isn't necessary) then save it - file, save as and select file type and location.

Good luck

Thank you all very much for your hard work and patience. Here are my graphs from my first run of ARC. I have since upgraded to the latest FW and I believe I read it is best to rerun ARC with the new FW.

Would someone want to tell me what I am looking at? Is it good? How can I make it better? Thanks.
TKO1's Avatar TKO1 05:37 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Interesting news from the comments section of a loudspeaker review.

While he doesn't say it, given the prices he mentions in the review ("In the $4500 price range, two PC-3.5s, two well placed mono subwoofers, and a good digital room equalizer/bass management system form a 4 way system which would be competitive with some speaker systems costing over $10,000.") I suspect he's talking about an MRX unit and not a pre/pro.

That's one review I'm looking forward to seeing!

I'll be especially interested to see how he handles the issue that has thus far stumped me: how to actually measure what ARC does in room, given that there are no multichannel analog inputs to accept measurement signals.

Agreed. Dr. Rich is the type of scientific reviewer all these magazines need to employ.

Since he quotes a lot of Dr. Toole's incredible work at the NRC, he might use Dr. Sean Olive's analysis methodology as noted here in his Audio Musings blog on Room Correction given they were colleagues at the NRC and after at Harman.

Cheers.
jayray's Avatar jayray 05:39 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:

Thank you all very much for your hard work and patience. Here are my graphs from my first run of ARC. I have since upgraded to the latest FW and I believe I read it is best to rerun ARC with the new FW.

Would someone want to tell me what I am looking at? Is it good? How can I make it better? Thanks.

They look quite good. You might want to post your Target window as well. That's the one with all the crossover info.
John
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar Spurrier Sucks 05:57 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:

They look quite good. You might want to post your Target window as well. That's the one with all the crossover info.
John

Here it is.

jayray's Avatar jayray 06:28 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:

Here it is.

Your sub response suggests it can go below 20Hz at good volume levels. If so and there is some protection built in, you can set the sub HPF to flat in the advanced menu at the bottom of the target window. It is presently set to Auto.
Once selected, exit the Targets and click on Calculate. Now you can upload that to your MRX.
BTW, it is not necessary to do a new measurement after firmware updates, simply upload your last good ARC file if you wish. Some do that just to be sure. I have never done it and it always sounds the same.

John
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar Spurrier Sucks 06:32 PM 04-22-2012
Quote:

Your sub response suggests it can go below 20Hz at good volume levels. If so and there is some protection built in, you can set the sub HPF to flat in the advanced menu at the bottom of the target window. It is presently set to Auto.
Once selected, exit the Targets and click on Calculate. Now you can upload that to your MRX.
John

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
blb1215's Avatar blb1215 08:46 AM 04-24-2012
I have officially joined the Anthem club with the purchase of a MRX-500. I have been trying to get familiar with and trying different settings. I ran ARC this am and am posting my charts for review and suggestions.

My speaker levels are
Left front 0
Center +1
Right front +2
Right surround 0
Right back +1
Left back +1
Left surround -1
Sub -2

I have a suggestion for a future firmware suggestion, if possible make the use and amount of dolby volume leveler assignable by input instead of global. Better yet to separate the leveler function from the EQ function. It would be great to have one input with dolby volumn without leveler and another with dolby volumn with leveler.

I also have a question on one of the settings under dolby volume - Dolby Volume Cinema Reference Mode - in the manual it states "When on, Dolby Volume takes into account the difference on reference level used in movie production from that in music production.

I did not know music had a reference level and I am not sure exactly what this does. In testing so far with Fios it increases the volume when on.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what this setting is doing or if it is useful?
LL
LL
LL
Tigger!'s Avatar Tigger! 02:20 PM 04-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post

I have officially joined the Anthem club with the purchase of a MRX-500. I have been trying to get familiar with and trying different settings. I ran ARC this am and am posting my charts for review and suggestions.

My speaker levels are
Left front 0
Center +1
Right front +2
Right surround 0
Right back +1
Left back +1
Left surround -1
Sub -2

I have a suggestion for a future firmware suggestion, if possible make the use and amount of dolby volume leveler assignable by input instead of global. Better yet to separate the leveler function from the EQ function. It would be great to have one input with dolby volumn without leveler and another with dolby volumn with leveler.

I also have a question on one of the settings under dolby volume - Dolby Volume Cinema Reference Mode - in the manual it states "When on, Dolby Volume takes into account the difference on reference level used in movie production from that in music production.

I did not know music had a reference level and I am not sure exactly what this does. In testing so far with Fios it increases the volume when on.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what this setting is doing or if it is useful?

Your ARC config looks pretty good out of the gate... I'm guessing you reviewed the comments on a few of the previous posts and played before posting?

Looking quickly: Your Speaker Levels look excelent. Your Speaker Graphs look very good. Your Targets make sense based on the graphs you posted. Your sub looks excellent and it appears you set your sub to be "Flat" which makes sense from what I can see in the graphs.

How does it sound?

The one other thing I see, ARC picked a very low value for your room gain (based on your graphs, this makes sense). If your room is naturally some what dead, the value ARC picked is probably approriate. If however you feel like everything is a bit flat and you wish it had a little more volume in the low end, you might try a room gain of between 2.5-3.5 and see what you think.

NOTE: Sometimes more room gain is not better. Give it a listen for a week where ARC set it first. Once you are comfortable where it is, you can try adjusting the room gain and see if you like it a bit higher or prefer it where ARC set it.
Tags: Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
First ... 347  348  349 350  351  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop