Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 351 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
T, et.al,

Just finished some experimentation with the MRX 700:

Media will NOT output to either Rec Out or Z2.

Tuner will NOT output to Rec Out but WILL output to Z2.

IPOD undetermined since it is a proprietery connector, but is selectable from Z2 remote. ??

TJG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGriff1051 View Post

Maybe I'm losing my mind but I don't think so. With the 50.23 firmware, I can no longer play 24/192 files from my media server (Eagles, Phish from HD tracks) via the coax input unless I turn off ARC. 24/96 files work fine. Can any one else verify this? I sent an email to Anthem to inform them and get the old 50.12 firmware.

Just curious, could you describe your media streamer setup? Which streamer, where do you store your files, etc?

I'm starting to look into options for streaming hi-res audio to my MRX-300. Today, I use a Logitech Squeezebox 3, which works awesome, but is limited to 44.1/48kHz output.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 04-28-2012, 10:15 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst View Post

Just curious, could you describe your media streamer setup? Which streamer, where do you store your files, etc?

I'm starting to look into options for streaming hi-res audio to my MRX-300. Today, I use a Logitech Squeezebox 3, which works awesome, but is limited to 44.1/48kHz output.

Thanks,

Dan

Using a M2Tech Evo USB to Spdif converter, also have the V-link 192 which does the same thing. They sound the same to me but sadly neither are working with the Anthem at the highest rate.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

First thing you need to do is turn the gain on your sub way down. What is it set at right now? Turn it down by half and re-run ARC.

It's set to halfway (12 o clock). I'll turn it back to 9 o clock and re run. Cheers Alex.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG55 View Post

T, et.al,

Just finished some experimentation with the MRX 700:

Media will NOT output to either Rec Out or Z2.

Tuner will NOT output to Rec Out but WILL output to Z2.

IPOD undetermined since it is a proprietery connector, but is selectable from Z2 remote. ??

TJG

Again very interesting. It is no surprise that vTuner and USB will not go to Zone 2 as they use the digital side of the MRX and I don't think anything that is digital on the MRX can be directed to Zone 2.

As for the yet unreleased MDX-1 Dock, it should work with Zone 2, if you have it configured for analog playback, I believe. However, if you have an MRX-500/700 and choose to use it in its digital form, then you will again be limited to just Zone 1.

What is odd is that none of the digital signals can be sent to the Rec Out. I'm guessing this holds true for things coming in via digital links as well such as coax and optical?

I'm guessing that Anthem does not have a line out signal from the digital processor to send to the Rec Out output... again, very interesting.

Thanks for the investigation work.

Out of curiosity, what got you researching this? I can't think of the last time I wanted to record anything in an analog form, though my tape deck is connected to the Rec Outs (old habbits, I suppose... and what else was I going to connect to it a VCR?)

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwicol View Post

Hi All,

I recently purchased the MRX-500 which I am completely sold on. Even before running ARC the sound quality, imaging and detail was streaks ahead of my previous pioneer receiver. I am running the Anthem with Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 across L, R and C with matching Ascend HTM-200 SE surround speakers and the sub is a M & K MV-75 MK11.

I've been experimenting with ARC while reading through the forum. I know that as my sub is in the corner of the lounge there is some reflection gain from the corner. I dont really have another option in terms of moving the sub, well one that would keen my marriage on an even keel particularly after recently shipping the ascends to NZ and buying the anthem

My readings are as follows:

Dolby Vol Calibration offset -3
Front Left +3
Centre +3
Front Right +3
Surround Right -1
Surround Left -3
Sub Woofer -10

I've attached the graphs and targets. I know looking at the readings that the sub volume is too high. I did turn right down on a previous run and it took the sub level down to -6.

It would be really awesome to hear your expert opinions on anything else I can do to blend the sub.

The other issue I have is that I listen to a massive range of genres. Everything from indie, rock to drum and bass and dubstep. I find the arc settings great for indie, rock and the bass is well integrated but where dubstep has the bassline as the main event I keep wanting to alter the bass higher. Do any of you guys have similar issues between genres or should I just do what everyone says and listen to arc untouched for a few weeks.

Cheers!!

Quote:

It's set to halfway (12 o clock). I'll turn it back to 9 o clock and re run. Cheers Alex.

Hi Kiwicol,

I imagine this will not reach you till tomorrow... unless you are a worse night owl than me! But here are a few thoughts based on what I'm seeing..

1) Your sub is, as you observed, up way to high. What is interesting is your first run was at -6 (which is still to high) and you turned it up for the next run? If your sub was at -6 at 9 o'clock and is at -10 at 12 o'clock, I think I would try around 7 o'clock. We would love to see it between -3 to +3.

2) Your sub is suffering from boundary gain. You can see its stron influance from about 30-50Hz. This is not helping, but if you have no ability to re-locate, probably not much you can do. You can try rotating the sub and seeing if it improves. Try turning the sub at 45, 90, 180 and angles in between. You may find one that works better than what you have now.

3) Your cutoff on the sub is currently set at 100. This is not bad, though we aim for 120 naturally. Are all of the lowpass filters disabled/bypassed? Or at least set as high as they will go, probably something like 180Hz?

4) Your main speakers look good, though there is an odd dip from 100-200Hz. Not sure what is causing that and likely not much you can do about it. However ARC has nicely corrected for it. Currently to fill that dip is using about 6db of fill, which is the most that ARC will apply and as the dip is in the main range where typically room gain has a large influance, I don't think you would want to try adjusting your room gain up from where ARC set it as you won't be able to fill anymore to match a higher room gain. However, the current room gain is good and I don't think you would want to raise it. Just be aware that it is also probably not an option, even if you did feel you wanted to raise it at some point.

5) Center looks awesome.

6) Surrounds look good.

On the whole, things look really good. How does it sound? If I were to invest any time playing, I would see what could be done with the sub.

Then, I would listen for a solid week and see how things are sounding, as you suggested. If you have one particular track/album/genres of music that you feel needs a little help (more bass, less treble, etc). I would consider that more a recording issue of that particular album or genres. After all, if it sounds correct for other genres, than the amp and speakers are working as they are meant to (they don't know what genres of music you are listening to... they treat them all the same ). However, you can make on the fly adjusments of the bass and treble controls to suit your taste for an album that needs some assistance. Keep in mind that the music recording industry does not set standards the way the movie industry does... so it is a very real possiblity that different genres of music and music mixed at different studios by different techs will sound very different.

To use the on the fly bass and treble controls, use the 'Audio' button on your remote, press it a couple of times till the front display of the MRX shows Bass (and with one more press Treble). Then use the up down arrows to adjust up and down to your preference. NOTE: these adjustments will be lost as soon as you turn off the MRX or switch sources, they are temporary. If you wanted to set them permanently on a particular source, you can do that under the source setup of the MRX setup menu. Though, as it is only one particular genres of music you are looking to affect, I think the on the fly adjustment, when needed to suit your taste, is the way to go.

Again, before you start playing with the Bass and Treble controls... I would listen for at least 1 week first... just to set a good mental base line

Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Maybe I'm losing my mind but I don't think so. With the 50.23 firmware, I can no longer play 24/192 files from my media server (Eagles, Phish from HD tracks) via the coax input unless I turn off ARC. 24/96 files work fine. Can any one else verify this? I sent an email to Anthem to inform them and get the old 50.12 firmware.

I believe the mrx cannot decode flac files. Is your media server converting the flac file to pcm and then sending it to your mrx?

I used a htpc and a little media player to playback my flac files.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I believe the mrx cannot decode flac files. Is your media server converting the flac file to pcm and then sending it to your mrx?

I used a htpc and a little media player to playback my flac files.

Ripped using dbpoweramp to Wav files. 24/96 works fine
Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ripped using dbpoweramp to Wav files. 24/96 works fine

I have some 192/24 flac files which I play using my htpc and Pivos media player via hdmi connection only. With my htpc, I use Foobar2000 with WASPI in exclusove mode to send 192/24 pcm files to my mrx and it has no problems with ARC turned on.

I am still running 50.12 which helps to substantiate your claim that the newer firmware broke the mrx's 192/24 playback abilities.

Is it possible to replace the coax connection with an hdmi connection?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

Hi Kiwicol,

I imagine this will not reach you till tomorrow... unless you are a worse night owl than me! But here are a few thoughts based on what I'm seeing..

1) Your sub is, as you observed, up way to high. What is interesting is your first run was at -6 (which is still to high) and you turned it up for the next run? If your sub was at -6 at 9 o'clock and is at -10 at 12 o'clock, I think I would try around 7 o'clock. We would love to see it between -3 to +3.

2) Your sub is suffering from boundary gain. You can see its stron influance from about 30-50Hz. This is not helping, but if you have no ability to re-locate, probably not much you can do. You can try rotating the sub and seeing if it improves. Try turning the sub at 45, 90, 180 and angles in between. You may find one that works better than what you have now.

3) Your cutoff on the sub is currently set at 100. This is not bad, though we aim for 120 naturally. Are all of the lowpass filters disabled/bypassed? Or at least set as high as they will go, probably something like 180Hz?

4) Your main speakers look good, though there is an odd dip from 100-200Hz. Not sure what is causing that and likely not much you can do about it. However ARC has nicely corrected for it. Currently to fill that dip is using about 6db of fill, which is the most that ARC will apply and as the dip is in the main range where typically room gain has a large influance, I don't think you would want to try adjusting your room gain up from where ARC set it as you won't be able to fill anymore to match a higher room gain. However, the current room gain is good and I don't think you would want to raise it. Just be aware that it is also probably not an option, even if you did feel you wanted to raise it at some point.

5) Center looks awesome.

6) Surrounds look good.

On the whole, things look really good. How does it sound? If I were to invest any time playing, I would see what could be done with the sub.

Then, I would listen for a solid week and see how things are sounding, as you suggested. If you have one particular track/album/genres of music that you feel needs a little help (more bass, less treble, etc). I would consider that more a recording issue of that particular album or genres. After all, if it sounds correct for other genres, than the amp and speakers are working as they are meant to (they don't know what genres of music you are listening to... they treat them all the same ). However, you can make on the fly adjusments of the bass and treble controls to suit your taste for an album that needs some assistance. Keep in mind that the music recording industry does not set standards the way the movie industry does... so it is a very real possiblity that different genres of music and music mixed at different studios by different techs will sound very different.

To use the on the fly bass and treble controls, use the 'Audio' button on your remote, press it a couple of times till the front display of the MRX shows Bass (and with one more press Treble). Then use the up down arrows to adjust up and down to your preference. NOTE: these adjustments will be lost as soon as you turn off the MRX or switch sources, they are temporary. If you wanted to set them permanently on a particular source, you can do that under the source setup of the MRX setup menu. Though, as it is only one particular genres of music you are looking to affect, I think the on the fly adjustment, when needed to suit your taste, is the way to go.

Again, before you start playing with the Bass and Treble controls... I would listen for at least 1 week first... just to set a good mental base line

Hi Tigger,

Cheers for the awesome reply. I knew when I ran the second arc that the sub would be set too high but I am taking a while to get used to the what is probably well integrated bass as opposed to the bloated bass I have been listening too. The sub is currently sitting on 0 gain which is 12 o clock so I reckon I am going to have to turn the volume almost all the way down -6 to get the levels within -3. I will have a go at moving the angle of the sub around. It is a front firing sealed sub which is the oldest piece of kit in my setup so could be next on the upgrade list. :-)

I have the crossover turned as high as it will go(maximum is 125 hz) so that may be why there is an issue getting the crossover to 120 hz). Every run I've done has it sitting at 100 so far.

The left front is around 2 ft from a side wall and the front has the L of a couch around 4 feet in front of it too which could be causing a few issues. Also our lounge has wall to ceiling glass, wooden floors and skylights in the roof. Its also open plan so basically is an acoustic nightmare. Lets just say I am giving arc a few challenges :-)

Overall I am immensly happy with the sound quality. ARC seems to have tightened up the sound incredibly and the soundstage and imaging is great. Its almost as if ARC has bought the whole sound into focus.

I think my love of bass is causing me to want to keep the sub levels higher. When listening to bands I like a blended sound but when moving to drum and bass or dubstep I like the room to be pulsating :-)

I will give the new arc settings a week without tweaking( I promise). Just need to get some time to run again without kids in bed putting their hands over their ears from the test tones :-)

Thanks again for all your input. Really appreciated and will keep you updated when I have re ran arc.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Colin,

If you like bass, you should turn the gain down on the sub and run ARC. Hopefully it will set it somewhere between -3 to +3. Then, you can turn the gain on the sub up a little to your liking. What you are doing now by turning up the sub, ARC is actually turning it down relative to your other speakers thus defeating what you are trying to do.

Of course, I would suggest that when you get your sub between -3 to +3, is to leave it like that for a couple of weeks. You will probably like it just that way.

Alex
Old 04-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 140
On my SVS it says gain disabled and ARC has set mt sub to -7. What should I do for this? Just adjust the bass in the menu?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post

On my SVS it says gain disabled and ARC has set mt sub to -7. What should I do for this? Just adjust the bass in the menu?

When you select disabled on your SVS, I believe that means the SVS's internal crossover has been disabled. As far as I know, there is no way to disable gain on an SVS sub.

Which SVS do you have?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 11
FW v50.23 had been working fine since it's release. But true to form...my MRX500 has started locking up again after about a month or so. More emails to support
Old 04-29-2012, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

When you select disabled on your SVS, I believe that means the SVS's internal crossover has been disabled. As far as I know, there is no way to disable gain on an SVS sub.

Which SVS do you have?

PC12-Plus
Old 04-29-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post

PC12-Plus

Awesome sub Are you sure the "disable" doesn't refer to the crossover?

When running any sub with the mrx, I recommend disabling the sub's internal crossover or turning the sub's crossover frequency to the max.

Since your sub's level is -7, the mrx is attenuating its output.

Check your setting again, reduce the gain, and re-run ARC.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Hello,

I was using the following settings for my audio pre-sets:

Audio Signal Selection
2.0 AnthemLogic-Cinema
2.0 DD Surround PLII Movie
Multi Channel PCM None
5.1 Dolby Digital None
Dolby Digital Surround EX Same as Dolby D-5.1
5.1 DTS None
DTS-ES Same as DTS-5.1

Do the lossless 7.1 tracks fall under "Dolby Digital Surround EX" or "DTS-ES"? If not, then how do you change them (if you can at all)? The reason I ask is because I was watching MI4 last night and I was having trouble getting any sound to come out of my rear surrounds. I ended up figuring out that it was because I had the settings above. If I changed Dolby Digital Surround EX to "None" all 7 speakers would play fine. If I put it back to "Same as DD 5.1" the rear speakers would cut out again. The MRX GUI was displaying "Dolby TrueHD 3/4" through all of this.

Can anyone help me out with some advice? I'm not 100% sure, but this may have only started happening after I updated the firmware to 5.23. I could have sworn it was fine using 5.19. I watched Transformers 3 on my system a few months ago and all 7 speakers were being used.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco Grande View Post

Hello,

I was using the following settings for my audio pre-sets:

Audio Signal Selection
2.0 AnthemLogic-Cinema
2.0 DD Surround PLII Movie
Multi Channel PCM None
5.1 Dolby Digital None
Dolby Digital Surround EX Same as Dolby D-5.1
5.1 DTS None
DTS-ES Same as DTS-5.1

Do the lossless 7.1 tracks fall under "Dolby Digital Surround EX" or "DTS-ES"? If not, then how do you change them (if you can at all)? The reason I ask is because I was watching MI4 last night and I was having trouble getting any sound to come out of my rear surrounds. I ended up figuring out that it was because I had the settings above. If I changed Dolby Digital Surround EX to "None" all 7 speakers would play fine. If I put it back to "Same as DD 5.1" the rear speakers would cut out again. The MRX GUI was displaying "Dolby TrueHD 3/4" through all of this.

Can anyone help me out with some advice? I'm not 100% sure, but this may have only started happening after I updated the firmware to 5.23. I could have sworn it was fine using 5.19. I watched Transformers 3 on my system a few months ago and all 7 speakers were being used.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I could be complete wrong but I thought you don't want to use any of those surround formats when 7.1 is native to the disk. I thought the "Dolby Digital Surround EX" or "DTS-ES" tracks would take 5.1 and upconvert to 6 or 7 but if it was already 7 you want to leave it alone. More knowledgable people can probably answer better than I.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post

Is there anyway to check the sampling frequency of incoming audio signal on the MRX display ?

I received an email from Anthem to confirm that the mrx cannot display in frequency of any incoming signals.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:

I have some 192/24 flac files which I play using my htpc and Pivos media player via hdmi connection only. With my htpc, I use Foobar2000 with WASPI in exclusove mode to send 192/24 pcm files to my mrx and it has no problems with ARC turned on.

I am still running 50.12 which helps to substantiate your claim that the newer firmware broke the mrx's 192/24 playback abilities.

Is it possible to replace the coax connection with an hdmi connection?

Got the 50.12 firmware from Anthem today and hi-res works again.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good stuff Hopefully, you won't have problems with 50.12.

I'm still on 50.12 which is what my receiver came with.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Good stuff Hopefully, you won't have problems with 50.12.

I'm still on 50.12 which is what my receiver came with.

Actually never had any issues with 50.12. The last two firmware iterations have had issues. May just stick with 50.12 unless there is a new feature coming with the firmware
Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PLEASE report your findings back to Anthem!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:

PLEASE report your findings back to Anthem!

Already did.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recently put a statement A5 on an MRX300 - it's being used to bi-amp the fronts and the remaining channel goes to the centre.

I'll do some quick measure again soon but was kinda stumped by the obvious valley on the high end. I didn't have this when the MRX300 was driving the speakers without being bi-amped.

The signal is split at the L+R pre out on the MRX giving it 2 rights and 2 lefts fed into the power amp which runs to the speakers in bi-amp mode as I've said.

Is this a signature of my speakers or room or both? It all sounds fine, I'm just wondering if the power amp is less forgiving and giving the ARC mic a more accurate reading?

Thoughts? see images below - thanks!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

Colin,

If you like bass, you should turn the gain down on the sub and run ARC. Hopefully it will set it somewhere between -3 to +3. Then, you can turn the gain on the sub up a little to your liking. What you are doing now by turning up the sub, ARC is actually turning it down relative to your other speakers thus defeating what you are trying to do.

Of course, I would suggest that when you get your sub between -3 to +3, is to leave it like that for a couple of weeks. You will probably like it just that way.

Hi Alex,

Cheers for your reply, yeah I know what you mean know in terms of arc just over compensating so will definitely re run with the gain set down and let you guys know the results.

Cheers for the reply.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Liked: 11
Your charts look like mine did when I swapped out the tweeters in my 31 year old Klipsch Heresy's. My interpretation...was that the high end was dropping out around 6000hz. I eventually sent the tweeters back and took the $37 hit on all of the ship costs.
Are you sure that the tweeters are getting power? Where you're dropping off the chart is right about where the tweeters should be kicking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Danger View Post

I recently put a statement A5 on an MRX300 - it's being used to bi-amp the fronts and the remaining channel goes to the centre.

I'll do some quick measure again soon but was kinda stumped by the obvious valley on the high end. I didn't have this when the MRX300 was driving the speakers without being bi-amped.

The signal is split at the L+R pre out on the MRX giving it 2 rights and 2 lefts fed into the power amp which runs to the speakers in bi-amp mode as I've said.

Is this a signature of my speakers or room or both? It all sounds fine, I'm just wondering if the power amp is less forgiving and giving the ARC mic a more accurate reading?

Thoughts? see images below - thanks!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Alex,

Cheers for your reply, yeah I know what you mean know in terms of arc just over compensating so will definitely re run with the gain set down and let you guys know the results.

Cheers for the reply.

If you want more bass... playing with the gain is not the way to get it. Use the Tone controls.

If you really feel the need to push just the sub, you can adjust the sub level ARC sets, after ARC has done its job... but don't move it more than 1-2 units or you will create a shelf at the crossover point to the sub.

The correct way to give your low end a boost is the tone controls

Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

If you want more bass... playing with the gain is not the way to get it. Use the Tone controls.

If you really feel the need to push just the sub, you can adjust the sub level ARC sets, after ARC has done its job... but don't move it more than 1-2 units or you will create a shelf at the crossover point to the sub.

The correct way to give your low end a boost is the tone controls

Ed Mullen from SVSound recommends adjusting the gain on the sub after room correction has been applied. I personally have left my PC12-NSD exactly as ARC has set it and have been extremely pleased. I'd say, leave it as ARC has set it for a week, then try Tigger's method, then mine and see which you prefer. My bet? You'll like ARC's implementation just fine.

Alex
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Danger View Post

Bi-amping appears to have created a phase mismatch at the crossover frequency. Reverse the polarity of your speaker cables at the high frequency terminals (either at the speakers or the amp but not both), then re-measure.

AJ

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com