Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 352 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10531 of 16546 Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

Ed Mullen from SVSound recommends adjusting the gain on the sub after room correction has been applied. I personally have left my PC12-NSD exactly as ARC has set it and have been extremely pleased. I'd say, leave it as ARC has set it for a week, then try Tigger's method, then mine and see which you prefer. My bet? You'll like ARC's implementation just fine.

I am definitely sensing a theme that a majority of people leave the sub setting where it is after running arc. I will definitely give the arc settings a few weeks to adjust too the sound. Cheers for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 16546 Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM

Hi,

I was just curious to know what settings you all preferred for Music and HT. I must admit to quite liking the Anthem Music setting as you retain the imaging from L & R and the surrounds add quite a nice balance. Are there many stereo purists out there who have been converted? I have yet to have a go at setting up arc with seperate settings for music and HT. So far I have just used the Anthem movie setting as well. I've read some comments around the dialogue through the centre(sorry center) channel sounding muddy on this setting but to be honest I have found the no issues. If anything the centre dialogue sounds excellent. Just keen to hear what others like/dislike before embarking on another round of tinkering.
post #10533 of 16546 Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Bi-amping appears to have created a phase mismatch at the crossover frequency. Reverse the polarity of your speaker cables at the high frequency terminals (either at the speakers or the amp but not both), then re-measure.

AJ

Thanks AJ - as it's 545am here, I doubt the missus etc would appreciate the woop wooooooooooop! test tone. I was going to put the crossover link back into one of the speakers and re-test.

It's not a room null, I turned the speaker near 180 degrees away from the mic into a wall and that trough was still there and I doubt a power amp can selectively kill a certain frequency on both speakers.

@Kinolau - Thanks, these speakers are only a few months old and when I pull a plug out of the binding post on the HF connection, the tweeter drops out.

I'll let you guys know in a few hours.

Cheers,

R.

edit: Ok, I am officially wearing the hat of shame for the rest of the day. Yes, one of the speakers was out of phase at the HF stage, but in my defence everything was colour coded properly. I had previously swapped them over a week ago for a test and didn't put them back correctly. I just don't know how I missed that, I'm always so nerdy about it.
post #10534 of 16546 Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Danger View Post

Thanks AJ - as it's 545am here, I doubt the missus etc would appreciate the woop wooooooooooop! test tone. I was going to put the crossover link back into one of the speakers and re-test.

It's not a room null, I turned the speaker near 180 degrees away from the mic into a wall and that trough was still there and I doubt a power amp can selectively kill a certain frequency on both speakers.

@Kinolau - Thanks, these speakers are only a few months old and when I pull a plug out of the binding post on the HF connection, the tweeter drops out.

I'll let you guys know in a few hours.

Cheers,

R.

edit: Ok, I am officially wearing the hat of shame for the rest of the day. Yes, one of the speakers was out of phase at the HF stage, but in my defence everything was colour coded properly. I had previously swapped them over a week ago for a test and didn't put them back correctly. I just don't know how I missed that, I'm always so nerdy about it.

It's happened to all of us at one point At least your pride wasn't so great that you chose to ignore starting with the basics and checking your cabling over!

Glad you found it. Amazing what few hours sleep will do! lol.

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #10535 of 16546 Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

It's happened to all of us at one point At least your pride wasn't so great that you chose to ignore starting with the basics and checking your cabling over!

Glad you found it. Amazing what few hours sleep will do! lol.

That's pretty much it - every time I had fixed it, I ended up wiring the other one backward until I had 2 speakers out of phase. No more yoga-style blind fiddling positions behind the shelf again. This time I went and grabbed a multi meter to take my brain out of the equation.

It gave me a good lesson with ARC today tho. I've got a good grip on it now and how to tweak a wee bit here and there afterwards.
post #10536 of 16546 Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

We've all done that at some point.

At least you know your speakers have a decent reverse null now.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #10537 of 16546 Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

We've all done that at some point.

At least you know your speakers have a decent reverse null now.

Yeah, I just did it too many times in a very short period My graphs look decent, still have a little bit of a dip at the fronts in the 140hz range, but that's the room and ARC has popped it up close enough.

My centre is rear ported and very good, but ARC set's it at 100hz as it's too close to the wall. I was just wondering if there's anything I could put behind it that's about an inch thick that would act as as a bit of a natural bass trap? Camera case foam perhaps?

In fact here's a close up of the only problem areas of my front end, I could only move the front's out from the wall about another 2 inches and I've toe'ed them in a little bit since and the centre is as far out on the shelf as it can go, but any ideas you guys have are welcomed as ever.

post #10538 of 16546 Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Hi Tigger,

I re ran arc today. The only changes made were bringing the gain down on the sub. I had to do a few runs on this as you get an error message if the sub gain is set too low. In addition I moved L&R speakers out from the wall another inch and toed them in slightly.

Here were the new results:

Dolby Vol Calibration offset -3
Front left +3
Centre +3
Front right +3
Surround right -1
Surround left -3
Subwoofer – 0

Really happy that the sub level seems to be spot on now. The only change it did make was bringing the gain down to 1.25 and my previous reading was over 2. Not entirely sure what would of caused this.

I cant turn the crossover any higher on the sub so it seems as though 100 htz is the best crossover I can get for the sub.

While the houe was empty I did some fairly high level listening(around -10) and the bass does sound more well rounded and tighter than before.

I've also attached my new readings. I am pretty happy with the latest ARC run and it sounds great so will sit back and listen for a few weeks.
LL
LL
LL
post #10539 of 16546 Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwicol View Post

Hi Tigger,

I re ran arc today. The only changes made were bringing the gain down on the sub. I had to do a few runs on this as you get an error message if the sub gain is set too low. In addition I moved L&R speakers out from the wall another inch and toed them in slightly.

Front left +3
Centre +3
Front right +3
Surround right -1
Surround left -3
Subwoofer - 0

Really happy that the sub level seems to be spot on now. The only change it did make was bringing the gain down to 1.25 and my previous reading was over 2. Not entirely sure what would of caused this.

I cant turn the crossover any higher on the sub so it seems as though 100 htz is the best crossover I can get for the sub.

While the houe was empty I did some fairly high level listening(around -10) and the bass does sound more well rounded and tighter than before.

I've also attached my new readings. I am pretty happy with the latest ARC run and it sounds great so will sit back and listen for a few weeks.

I think what you have looks great! Enjoy

post #10540 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all,

New happy owner of a MRX-300 here. I’m not sure if it is the ARC correction or the receiver itself, but my system has never sounded better. The sound is highly detailed, and very impressive! I have had a few weird hdmi issues (like a pop once in a while, and some weird syncing) but overall no complaints so far which is nice coming from a R-972 which had a ton of hdmi issues.

I did a quick setup last night and wanted to see if there is any improvements I can make.

Levels:
fl +2
c -1
fr +1
sr +1
sl +1
sub -4

I attached the ARC charts and targets.

Any thoughts?
LL
LL
LL
post #10541 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer View Post

Hello all,

New happy owner of a MRX-300 here. I'm not sure if it is the ARC correction or the receiver itself, but my system has never sounded better. The sound is highly detailed, and very impressive! I have had a few weird hdmi issues (like a pop once in a while, and some weird syncing) but overall no complaints so far which is nice coming from a R-972 which had a ton of hdmi issues.

I did a quick setup last night and wanted to see if there is any improvements I can make.

Levels:
fl +2
c -1
fr +1
sr +1
sl +1
sub -4

I attached the ARC charts.

Any thoughts?

Attach your targets as well - but no, they look good. You have that same valley at 140hz in the fronts that I do. But Tigger is the man to talk to about that. You could turn the gain down a hair on the sub, but not necessary.

Having come from an Arcam AVR pops I can sympathise with... gawds how did I ever live with that!

What gear do you have that is popping and what are you doing when it pops? There's absolutely zero pops with mine so far with sources of sat, htpc, xbox and blu ray.
post #10542 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Attach your targets as well - but no, they look good. You have that same valley at 140hz in the fronts that I do. But Tigger is the man to talk to about that. You could turn the gain down a hair on the sub, but not necessary.

Having come from an Arcam AVR pops I can sympathise with... gawds how did I ever live with that!

What gear do you have that is popping and what are you doing when it pops? There's absolutely zero pops with mine so far with sources of sat, htpc, xbox and blu ray.

It was when I was using the PS3 as a blu ray player, and I exited the movie to go to the main menu. But it was no big deal to me, since it wasn't consistent.
post #10543 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My centre is rear ported and very good, but ARC set's it at 100hz as it's too close to the wall. I was just wondering if there's anything I could put behind it that's about an inch thick that would act as as a bit of a natural bass trap? Camera case foam perhaps?

First, plug the port. Try a rolled-up towel to start, then maybe change it to foam if you find that someone in your household is missing the towel.

Then see if you need to do anything else.

Though keep in mind that the only really good center is one that is the exact same speaker as the other two front speakers, at the same height and in the same orientation. Everything else is going to fall short in some respect.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #10544 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello all,

New happy owner of a MRX-300 here. I’m not sure if it is the ARC correction or the receiver itself, but my system has never sounded better. The sound is highly detailed, and very impressive! I have had a few weird hdmi issues (like a pop once in a while, and some weird syncing) but overall no complaints so far which is nice coming from a R-972 which had a ton of hdmi issues.

Levels:
fl +2
c -1
fr +1
sr +1
sl +1
sub -4

I attached the ARC charts and targets.

Any thoughts?

Thoughts....

Levels look good. As Acer suggested, if you run ARC again for any reason, turn your sub down just a hair. However, no point in doing this unless you have another reason to re-run ARC.

Fronts: How close are these to any walls? Possitioning them a bit closer might give you some boundary gain that could help lift the low end a bit... depending on how much you gain, you might be able to fill in some the valley we see in the 80-150Hz range, though the higher end may not gain much.

Surround: Look Great

Center: Looks Great

Sub: I see you set it to Flat, that makes sense based on the graph you posted, if you are comfortable with your subs protection. The main area I would focus is on your subs location. Is it close to a wall or corner? If yes, pulling it out a foot or so may reduce some boundary gain that may help you get better high end extension (currently ARC has set your cutoff on the sub at 80, we like to see it naturally hit 120 which it looks like it should do). Note, you may end up turning the gain up a hair if you are succesful in losing some of the boundary gain.

To play with your sub, you can use Quick Measure. Note, after playing with Quick Measure, if you didn't make any changes you will need to re-upload your last ARC configuration as Quick Measure wipes out your old ARC settings. Of course if you did make changes, you would want to re-run ARC again.

Popping noise: What version of firmware are you on? And was the experience repeatable? Is it possible the PS3 simply sent a burst of garbage while switching modes?

post #10545 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

Popping noise: What version of firmware are you on? And was the experience repeatable? Is it possible the PS3 simply sent a burst of garbage while switching modes?

As far as the receiver? I'm on 50.23. I did have the receiver pretty loud, which made the pop loud. I'm not sure if it is repeatable, I'll have to try it again and see. But I tried a lot of different blu-rays and it only did it once.

Thanks Tigger. I will try your suggestions tonight and see what happens. The front speakers are currently about 2ft. away from the back wall, and the sub is in the front left corner. Would moving it forward away from the corner (but still close to the side wall) help? I'm not able to move it very far away from the side wall due to the fact that it would collide with the FL speaker.
post #10546 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:

First, plug the port. Try a rolled-up towel to start, then maybe change it to foam if you find that someone in your household is missing the towel.

Then see if you need to do anything else.

Though keep in mind that the only really good center is one that is the exact same speaker as the other two front speakers, at the same height and in the same orientation. Everything else is going to fall short in some respect.

Ill give that a go, I was worried that plugging it might affect it's design, which is why I thought some camera foam of 12x24'' behind it might settle it down. The centre is a kef 202/2c which is very closely matched to it's 205/2 left and right brothers. I'll enclose a shot from the side to show the problem and maybe you guys can throw some genius my way.

This is only nit picking btw it's doesn't sound bad or boomy, I just know I can squeeze a bit better out of it.

cheers.

R.

Here's my centre and front right to give you an idea of boundary

post #10547 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi Tigger,

Front left +3
Centre +3
Front right +3
Surround right -1
Surround left -3
Subwoofer - 0

How did you arrive at Dolby Vol Calibration offset -3? Mine is set at default "0" and I have not attempted to calibrate. The manual states to set at 75db and that this usually needs no change from "0". Does this affect anything other than making the output correct to reference level when the volume is at 0?

Thanks,
Barry
post #10548 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as the receiver? I'm on 50.23. I did have the receiver pretty loud, which made the pop loud. I'm not sure if it is repeatable, I'll have to try it again and see. But I tried a lot of different blu-rays and it only did it once.

Thanks Tigger. I will try your suggestions tonight and see what happens. The front speakers are currently about 2ft. away from the back wall, and the sub is in the front left corner. Would moving it forward away from the corner (but still close to the side wall) help? I'm not able to move it very far away from the side wall due to the fact that it would collide with the FL speaker.

If the sub is in a corner, it is getting boundary gain from two walls (actually, most subs sit close to the floor... so really 3 "walls" as the floor counts as well). So if you can keep the sub the same distance from the sidewall and slide it forward away from the front wall, that would then limit the affects of 1 wall and maybe just enough to do what you are looking for.

As for the fronts, you might see what happens when they are more around 8-12 inches from the front wall.

Remember, the advice we are offering is based on generalizations and expected behavior in most environments. That having been said, every environment is different and the variables are so numerous that a little trial an error/experimentation will always be required

post #10549 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Rock Danger,
Do you see any sound quality difference between MRX300 as amp or as preamp?
Eventhough the 300 has the smallest amp comparing to 500 & 700 but I doubt if the difference is big enough to invest thousands in amp, unless you have a huge room or a room with open areas.
post #10550 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

Rock Danger,
Do you see any sound quality difference between MRX300 as amp or as preamp?
Eventhough the 300 has the smallest amp comparing to 500 & 700 but I doubt if the difference is big enough to invest thousands in amp, unless you have a huge room or a room with open areas.

Do I hear a difference you mean? Yes, considerable. The MRX300 is a stop gap for a processor that's why I don't have the 700. The room is 15x15 feet not including the large bay window area, so it's a big enough room.

Is your point that buying a power amp at X$ makes no difference to the sound? Or have I misunderstood your question?
post #10551 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Do I hear a difference you mean? Yes, considerable. The MRX300 is a stop gap for a processor that's why I don't have the 700. The room is 15x15 feet not including the large bay window area, so it's a big enough room.

Is your point that buying a power amp at X$ makes no difference to the sound? Or have I misunderstood your question?

I meant, does it worth to invest X$ in external amp comparing to the 300's amp?
Now I see you have a big room, you probably hear the difference between the 300's amp and external amp. I had D2v and P5 but never enjoyed them as much as I enjoy my 700 in my room.
post #10552 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ill give that a go, I was worried that plugging it might affect it's design, which is why I thought some camera foam of 12x24'' behind it might settle it down. The centre is a kef 202/2c which is very closely matched to it's 205/2 left and right brothers.

First, KEF should have shipped you a port plug ("bung" is the British term) with the center (and the mains, too; I would plug all of 'em). If they didn't, assuming you bought them new from an authorized dealer, they should just send 'em to you. So I wouldn't worry about affecting the design. (Which it will, but in a positive direction in your room.)

Second, while I'm a generally big KEF fan...we'll have to agree to disagree about how well "matched" the centers are. For movies I'm sure it's fine; I would not be satisfied with anything less than three identical mains for multichannel music, though.) I am jealous of those 205/2's, though. Those are just gorgeous loudspeakers. While I've never heard the 205/2, the Ref 201/2 standmounts are the only speaker I have heard thus far (out of quite a few!) that made me for even a second consider moving on from my reference Tannoys.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #10553 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

I meant, does is worth to invest X$ in external amp comparing to the 300's amp?
Now I see you have a big room, you probably hear the difference between the 300's amp and external amp. I had D2v and P5 but never enjoyed them as much as I enjoy my 700 in my room.

It works for me, there is a notable difference from allowing me to bi-amp my fronts and with one channel left over for the centre. It gives me more headroom and a better grip all round even tho technically speaking it is just amplifying the original characteristic wave of the MRX.

I haven't heard your particular set up but must say I'm really very surprised that your MRX700 is outperforming a D2v and P5 - I really don't know what to say , except I'm glad you're happy with your new choice.
post #10554 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:

First, KEF should have shipped you a port plug ("bung" is the British term) with the center (and the mains, too; I would plug all of 'em). If they didn't, assuming you bought them new from an authorized dealer, they should just send 'em to you. So I wouldn't worry about affecting the design. (Which it will, but in a positive direction in your room.)

Second, while I'm a generally big KEF fan...we'll have to agree to disagree about how well "matched" the centers are. For movies I'm sure it's fine; I would not be satisfied with anything less than three identical mains for multichannel music, though.) I am jealous of those 205/2's, though. Those are just gorgeous loudspeakers. While I've never heard the 205/2, the Ref 201/2 standmounts are the only speaker I have heard thus far (out of quite a few!) that made me for even a second consider moving on from my reference Tannoys.

Nope, no plugs or bungs - I'm pretty sure they aren't even an option, but thanks for the heads up I'll check on that with my dealer. I'm not disagreeing, my last B&W set was identical across the front so I get where you're coming from, but the 202/2c has the same mid/horn driver, so it's close. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in multi channel is all I can say.

They are a very nice speaker and as you go up the range they just get better the 207's are absolute beasts, to big for the room and my wallet tho. Adding the power amp definitely helped as the mrx300 would start to fly apart at louder volumes.
post #10555 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 PM

I transferred a large number of songs to a 4 gig memory stick and when I list them under artist name on the MRX about 25% of them are not listed as knowning the correct artist. I do not remember the exact wording but they are all lumped together at the bottom. Unlisted maybe? On my computer (win 7 and media player) they are all good. Has anybody run into this and how to fix it? I did search and could not see any issues. Thanks.
post #10556 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by f468357 View Post

I transferred a large number of songs to a 4 gig memory stick and when I list them under artist name on the MRX about 25% of them are not listed as knowning the correct artist. I do not remember the exact wording but they are all lumped together at the bottom. Unlisted maybe? On my computer (win 7 and media player) they are all good. Has anybody run into this and how to fix it? I did search and could not see any issues. Thanks.

Are these MP3s files?

For some my MP3 files, I had to manually add the artist and song title.
post #10557 of 16546 Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post

How did you arrive at Dolby Vol Calibration offset -3? Mine is set at default "0" and I have not attempted to calibrate. The manual states to set at 75db and that this usually needs no change from "0". Does this affect anything other than making the output correct to reference level when the volume is at 0?

Thanks,
Barry

Hi Barry,

I havent changed the Dolby Vol Calibration offset. ARC has adjusted this measurement automatically based on the arc results.
post #10558 of 16546 Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I just wanted to let you Anthem guys know that I am selling my Anthem AVM-20 and will be listing it in an hour or so. It is in mint condition and operates perfectly. If anyone is interested, please feel free to pm me. I will be selling it way cheaper than what they usually go for.
post #10559 of 16546 Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi Barry,

I havent changed the Dolby Vol Calibration offset. ARC has adjusted this measurement automatically based on the arc results.

I wasn't aware this was a setting that ARC calculated.

Thanks,
Barry
post #10560 of 16546 Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Are these MP3s files?

For some my MP3 files, I had to manually add the artist and song title.

Yes they are mp3's and I have added all of the information through editing in windows 7 media player if it was missing. They look fine on the computer but not on the MRX.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page