Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 354 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb266 View Post

Hey everyone.. Great thread.. Has been so helpful in the few days i've had my MRX700...

Ive done an ARC calibration and am a bit disappointed in the lack of bottom end.. I don't know if the ARC just corrected for a total bass trap of a room or if i'm doing something wrong!

My main concern is the Music profile which was done just using L/R and no sub..

My speakers are Dynaudio Confidence C2's which have a fairly decent bottom end...

Maybe all the experts here could have a look at my graphs and offer me some advice..

Cheers..

S.

Hi Sjb266,

I see a few things... starting with what Jayray pointed out. Your low end is off the charts (literally and figuratively). Is there anything unique about your speakers, like is there an internal amp for the woofers (if yes can you turn the volume level down)? If not, I have to imagine you have them trapped in a corner at the moment. Try pulling them away from the corner a couple of feet (both from the front wall and the side wall). Once we get the low end to settle down a bit (probably in the mid 80's), ARC will be able to deal with things a lot better and should naturally set your speakers at 60 for both Movie and Music.

Once ARC sets your fronts to around 60/80, naturally on its own, you should then adjust the your the cutoff of your fronts on the Music profile (and only the music profile) to probably around 35 or 40. Once you get your new charts posted we can better tell you were to set it, but you can start with 40 and we will let you know if you should go up or down a little once we see the new graphs. [Don't forget, once you adjust the cutoff in the targets window, you need to hit the "calculate" button before you take screen shots of your graphs or upload the new results]

Your surrounds look good, on the whole.

Can you post up your Speaker Calibration Levels for us to look at? I'm guessing your sub was set with a large negative number... if that is the case we should adjust the volume level on your sub.

As for your sub, it is also in a corner or tight to a wall? Again, like the fronts, moving this away from the walls will likely help some. We need to position it so that the large spike you see drops down close the the flat area you see from about 70-190Hz. Once we get that spike under control, your sub will likely head up to 120Hz naturally. You can use Quick Measure to help you move the sub and see how the graph looks in real time.

Once you get everything moved, post up again so we can see how things look. We may have a second round of suggestions as some of what we are seeing is pretty dramatic right now.

Last comment I would make, once you get things where they belong, the bass from the Music Profile will be much better (it is suffering from the 120 cutoff ARC has set at the moment), however, you have likely become accustomed to way to much bass with your old system. At least assuming your old system used the same speakers and speaker locations. I would expect it will take you a week or two for you to adjust to the new bass levels. Though they will likely sound a lot more detailed with less thumping and mud then your old setup sounded, right out of the gate. (Unless, of course, your old system had a decent built in EQ that was helping to tame the bass for you).

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey94025 View Post

This is a useful reference and likely helpful to others who aren't getting optimal sound. Can you summarize what in the end improved things for you, e.g. speaker placement, rerunning ARC, firmware, etc.? Thanks!

I was fairly happy with my MRX right out of the box but after running ARC, I felt that I may have done more harm than good. It just didn't sound right to me. The sound was not as warm as I like and I found music to be very bright and fatiguing. Good sound should be easy to listen to for long periods of time. This was not the case for me.
So I would post my charts over and over, each time changing things based on suggestions from this thread.
Some of the adjustments I made were.....moving my fronts away from the wall.changing mic positions, moving my sub around, and replacing my sub. I continued to have sub issues and eventually used quick measure and moved some furniture to unbox my sub. I also used more than 5 mic positions when running ARC. Things finally sounded great. Even then it was suggested that that I only use 5 mic positions but I didn't run ARC since I felt things were fine. I eventually did go back to 5. . Well it turned out that Tigger was right on this one too. I didn't even feel the need to post my charts. It has been at least a month now since I ran ARC and don't feel the need to do it again unless something changes to my room ......very happy with my Anthem.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 AM

Liked: 12
hey guys, just a question. Im still dying to pick one of these up, i found a used mrx 500 For about $100 less the what the 300 sells for, but its used. Is there much difference between 300 and 500? Or am i better off buying new with warranty. I would still have to toss in money for gas ontop of the mrx500, where i wouldn't with the 300.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb266 View Post

Hey everyone.. Great thread.. Has been so helpful in the few days i've had my MRX700...

Ive done an ARC calibration and am a bit disappointed in the lack of bottom end.. I don't know if the ARC just corrected for a total bass trap of a room or if i'm doing something wrong!

My main concern is the Music profile which was done just using L/R and no sub..

My speakers are Dynaudio Confidence C2's which have a fairly decent bottom end...

Maybe all the experts here could have a look at my graphs and offer me some advice..

Cheers..

S.

Definitely follow the advice that Jayray and Tigger has provided.

I do have a question for you. Did you change the mic positions between taking measurements for Movie vs Music? I'm asking because ARC couldn't tame the peak in your fronts at all for Music; but, ARC did tame the peak in your fronts for Movie. The only reason that I can think of that causes this is different mic positions between Movie and Music.

As for your sub, do as Tigger suggested by trying different sub locations. The goal is to reduce/eliminate that peak at 40Hz so that you don't have close to a 20db drop from 40Hz to 70Hz. Hopefully, that will help ARC in naturally setting a cutoff of 120Hz for your sub.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post

hey guys, just a question. Im still dying to pick one of these up, i found a used mrx 500 For about $100 less the what the 300 sells for, but its used. Is there much difference between 300 and 500? Or am i better off buying new with warranty. I would still have to toss in money for gas ontop of the mrx500, where i wouldn't with the 300.

I was also torn between getting the 500 and 300. If you don't need the usb ports and iPod dock, I would go for the 300. I thought I would use the usb ports for playing back my media files but I found that it would not recognize or play back many of my music files.

Since you can get a used 500 for less than a new 300, it may be worth it; however, the warranty is not transferable. If you go with the used unit, make sure to give it a good testing before agreeing to buy it.

As has been mentioned before, all of the audio/video circuitry in the 300, 500, and 700 are identical. As you go up the line, you get some added features.

I assume you saw the receiver on Canuck? If it's the same posting, I noticed that the seller is the second owner of the unit.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Yes it is the one on Canuck, I think I might just wait And get a 300, I want one so bad but I really would like having the piece of mind of having warrenty
Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes it is the one on Canuck, I think I might just wait And get a 300, I want one so bad but I really would like having the piece of mind of having warrenty

If it's the same mrx-500 that was posted a few weeks ago, the original owner has great feedback on Canuck and the current seller has great feedback from one buyer.

Since it's been through two owners, I would think that any problems with the unit would have been noted and presumably rectified.

If I didn't already have an mrx, I'd be tempted to buy it myself
Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

If it's the same mrx-500 that was posted a few weeks ago, the original owner has great feedback on Canuck and the current seller has great feedback from one buyer.

Since it's been through two owners, I would think that any problems with the unit would have been noted and presumably rectified.

If I didn't already have an mrx, I'd be tempted to buy it myself

the owner selling it now, said hes had it for 3 weeks
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the owner selling it now, said hes had it for 3 weeks

I would assume that the seller thoroughly checked out the machine and, if he or she wants to maintain their good reputation, any problems or issues would be disclosed to the potential buyer.

I understand your hesitation. I have a 500 which I purchased from an Anthem retailer. I wanted a used one to save myself some money but there weren't any for sale when I made the decision to take the plunge. I searched for about 3 weeks and couldn't stand it anymore. After reading all of the glowing reviews and this entire thread, I bought it and don't regret it.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Get a new 300 from an authorized dealer and be happy. If you don't mind haggling a bit and paying cash, your local dealer will probably come down the $100 and you can get the 300 for the same as the used 500.

Alex
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

Get a new 300 from an authorized dealer and be happy. If you don't mind haggling a bit and paying cash, your local dealer will probably come down the $100 and you can get the 300 for the same as the used 500.

Very true! My main goal was to do mrx300 and if needed more power then xpa5. Maybe I'll go see my local dealer with cash in hand instead. I know these are great units but you never know what could happen
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading from Integra DTR 40.3 to MRX-500.

Fronts: Paradigm Studio 60v5
(Adding a CC-590 center real soon)
Sub: Paradigm Studio Sub 12 (PBK)

A) Is it worth upgrading?
- Sound quality
- ARC vs. Audyssey
(I can live with no analog inputs and a few less HDMI ports)

B) Integra is 110W per channel. MRX-500 is 100W per channel. While knowing 10W difference might not be significant, I'm currently utilizing Integra's bi-amp option - 220W per one Studio 60 front. MRX's do not have this option and I'm wondering if this would be significant? (I do feel bi-amping sounds somewhat better when I compared with/without on Integra)

C) My room is roughly 25x15x12. I'm planning to add Rear and Surround speakers in the future, maybe even 7.1 system. Is MRX-500 capable of driving the entire system at moderately loud level?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post

I'm thinking of upgrading from Integra DTR 40.3 to MRX-500.

Fronts: Paradigm Studio 60v5
(Adding a CC-590 center real soon)
Sub: Paradigm Studio Sub 12 (PBK)

- Sound quality
- ARC vs. Audyssey
(I can live with no analog inputs and a few less HDMI ports)

B) Integra is 110W per channel. MRX-500 is 100W per channel. While knowing 10W difference might not be significant, I'm currently utilizing Integra's bi-amp option - 220W per one Studio 60 front. MRX's do not have this option and I'm wondering if this would be significant? (I do feel bi-amping sounds somewhat better when I compared with/without on Integra)

C) My room is roughly 25x15x12. I'm planning to add Rear and Surround speakers in the future, maybe even 7.1 system. Is MRX-500 capable of driving the entire system at moderately loud level?

Thanks in advance.

Integra DTR-40.3 product page
http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...s=Receiver&p=f
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Integra DTR-40.3 product page
http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...s=Receiver&p=f

I've compared Audyssey XT against ARC and ARC had better soundstage (wider), better imaging and better sub correction, using the same speakers as yours. I believe you will hear a diff because of ARC, and yes it will drive your speakers. The room I tested it in was 14x18x9 and there was plenty to spare,
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

- Sound quality
- ARC vs. Audyssey

ARC is better than Audyssey, but is your room four walls of drywall or have you put in some diffusers and absorbers? This isn't just a low cost method of getting better sound, but nothing is going to fix room issues like good absorption and diffusion.
Quote:

It takes 10x the wattage to double the decibel level. 10 watts is insignificant, of course this assumes the manufacturers specs are accurate!
Quote:

Absolutely.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

ARC is better than Audyssey, but is your room four walls of drywall or have you put in some diffusers and absorbers? This isn't just a low cost method of getting better sound, but nothing is going to fix room issues like good absorption and diffusion.
It takes 10x the wattage to double the decibel level. 10 watts is insignificant, of course this assumes the manufacturers specs are accurate!
Absolutely.

Thank you, Jayray and ST. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger. It sounds great as it is with Integra right now but I just feel Integra is not pulling out the best from the 60s and Sub12.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 11
Kzhtoo

I am not the most knowledgable on these issues and I am not familair with the integra model and haven't heard it but i can say from personal experience that i had a Yamaha 671 and was disaapointed when i got home with this and the Studio 60s I had just purchased, i really felt like i wasn't getting the best out of the speakers, with the disappointment i did some resaearch and came across the anthems and convinced the fiance to let me upgrade and i have not looked back, the sound quality is supurb, ARC does a great job also. I don't run a sub and i annoy my neighbours (in an apartment) as it is, i can only imagine how good it would be with your sub.
The MRX doesn't have all the bells and whistles on it that some of the others do, and maybe an extra HDMI port might be nice but i think with your speakers, you will be very happy. Good luck
Old 05-09-2012, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Anyone running 2 subs with their MRX? Easy to blend/EQ?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post

Anyone running 2 subs with their MRX? Easy to blend/EQ?

Yes. I am running dual subs with my MRX with great results. My subs blend perfectly with my mains and load the room very evenly. There are no issues with localization and the bass is accurate and effortless. How it does in your situation will depend alot on your room, subs, placement and room treatments. You can be sure that if there are any issues, it won't be the MRX.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Can MRX 700 send AV to TV when it is off and setting the MRX to AVR (not AVR & TV or TV). Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

Can MRX 700 send AV to TV when it is off and setting the MRX to AVR (not AVR & TV or TV). Thanks in advance.

Yes. Turn on CEC on in Aud/Vid Setup and Presets and leave HDMI Audio Output on AVR. Turn off MRX and sound comes out of the TV.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Yes. Turn on CEC on in Aud/Vid Setup and Presets and leave HDMI Audio Output on AVR. Turn off MRX and sound comes out of the TV.
John

Thanks jayray. But how about picture? How can I get audio and video sent to tv when MRX is off. I want to eliminate cables. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks jayray. But how about picture? How can I get audio and video sent to tv when MRX is off. I want to eliminate cables. Thanks.

TV remains on when CEC is on. Sound is through the TV speakers ie. adjustable with TV controls.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 05-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

TV remains on when CEC is on. Sound is through the TV speakers ie. adjustable with TV controls.
John

Thanks jayray. But now that I know about it, I found out that with CEC on AVRs will constantly use 40-50 watts of power. That is a lot of watts 24/7.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks jayray. But now that I know about it, I found out that with CEC on AVRs will constantly use 40-50 watts of power. That is a lot of watts 24/7.

that is correct. So is it worth it for that feature to use that amount of power is a good question.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The power consumption of many electronic components, even when turned "off", is one reason I use a power bar with individual switches to turn on and off each component.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

My receiver mrx 700 is not responding well with Logitech 900 remote. Remote works well with Oppo 93 and most of the time with projector.

Basically, it is not turning off mrx 700 many times. Volume button does not respond for few seconds and then starts responding. Is there anything I am missing to fix these issues?

Also, device does not respond when 3d is on. I have to use original remote only. I read in a forum that it is due to projector sending IR for 3d. But I don't understand exactly what is happening to have conflict and also wonder if I can assign different channle or something so that receiver responds while 3d is on as well.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

My receiver mrx 700 is not responding well with Logitech 900 remote. Remote works well with Oppo 93 and most of the time with projector.

Basically, it is not turning off mrx 700 many times. Volume button does not respond for few seconds and then starts responding. Is there anything I am missing to fix these issues?

Also, device does not respond when 3d is on. I have to use original remote only. I read in a forum that it is due to projector sending IR for 3d. But I don't understand exactly what is happening to have conflict and also wonder if I can assign different channle or something so that receiver responds while 3d is on as well.

I have a logitech 900 and have no issues with the Anthem. Are you using IR or the RF blaster to control it? If you're using IR, try assigning the MRX to the blaster.

There is no other channel just the option of IR or RF to control devices.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Have you made sure the latest updates are on your remote? I have a Harmony One, but if you are using IR, they should behave the same.

As for 3D, try and see if you can some how block your MRX's IR receiver from seeing the Projector. (of course it still needs to see the remote from where you are sitting...).

You might try blocking the IR transmitter on your porjector (even for non 3D content) and see if all of your problems go away. Not a permanent fix, but at least it would help you isolate if the IR transmitter on the Projector is causing some or all of your issues.

As mentioned earlier, switching to RF on the remote and using an IR blaster for the MRX could be your solution if you find that covering the IR transmitter on your projector was a temporary solution. Keep in mind that you want to make sure the MRX can only see the IR blaster and not the projector when you go this route. Otherwise the Projector could still overwhelm the IR sensor on the MRX.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niualaals94 View Post

I guess my question relates to whether or not the first 300 owners will be starting from scratch on bugs/issues or if they will benefit from what the 500/700 owners have uncovered.

300s benifit from the same fixes the 500/700 get (in general, some fixes don't apply to the 300).

As the main componenets of the 300 are the same as the 500/700, they all pretty much behave the same way, including any bugs they may be experiencing.

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems