Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grebkercik View Post

*Chuckle* I spent enough time over in the Blu-Ray audio threads to drink the Oppo Kool-aid. But first I'm looking for an explanation - I had a comment in my original post not to reply with "just buy oppo" but took it out to see what would happen

So I understand that HDMI will send bitstream, PCM, etc to the 700 for processing. Will all players do this for Blu-Ray and standard audio CD's. Again, I'm trying to sort out my dealers comments and figure out what's really going on.

Also, an LG Blu-Ray player review I read commented on the "chip" likely being a Mediatek chip which (paraphrased) was a better chip than most of the others out there. It implied that the Mediatek chip does a better job at scaling, interlacing, player speed (pardon if I am using terms incorrectly I'm rusty but you get my drift).

So the LG reviewer suspected the approx $100 LG player was using the same or similar chipset to the $500 Oppo. You see where I'm going, I'd rather save the balance an put it towards new speakers... The real question in concern to video is do I need to rely on the player chipset or should it be sent to the 700 for video processing conversion? I fully admit my ignorance when it comes to the video section!

Thanks ~Tyler

The Oppo BD-93 has a Mediatek chip in it, but it also has a Marvell chip in it. The Marvell chip is the one that provides the good Video processing on DVD and streamed content. For a 1080P signal from a Blu-ray player the 700 isn't going to do much of anything to the video, so the source's video output and chipset is the most important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss21xd View Post

The analog inputs are the white (L) and red (R) stereo RCAs jacks (I think there are 6 or 7) on the back of the MRX. I was using one of these for my CD player outputting an analog signal. The change was to go to digital coax inputs (digital inputs are marked on the back of the MRX) and set my CD player to output digital. Night and day difference. Take a look at your owners manual for the exact locations of the various inputs.

If you are displeased with the MRX and ARC, I STRONGLY suggest you check if you are using analog. Switching to digital might just be the ticket as it was for me. The strange thing is that I used the exact same setup on my previous piece...same player, same analog output and the same cables. It sounded wonderful, so I know the difference in what I was hearing was not just the same old Analog Vs. digital sound debate.

Does not matter anymore. It's digital all the way from here on out, and I am LOVING it!

I really appreciate your feedback and advice.

Will chat to my dealer and follow up with him as he did the install. I really do want to experience what everyone else is and hope this will be the solution, so thanks once again and enjoy your system
post #1083 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmlutz View Post

The Oppo BD-93 has a Mediatek chip in it, but it also has a Marvell chip in it. The Marvell chip is the one that provides the good Video processing on DVD and streamed content. For a 1080P signal from a Blu-ray player the 700 isn't going to do much of anything to the video, so the source's video output and chipset is the most important.

Ah-ha. Now we are getting somewhere! Thanks for the answers on the video portion wcmlutz. You have confirmed for me that the video chipset in the player should be my primary concern since I'm not all that interested in many of the bells and whistles.

Still looking for some info on why my Dealer recommended against using a blu-ray player for CD audio. Anyone? Any comments on pros/cons of bitstream vs PCM are welcome too. Actually I'm out of town for the holidays and don't have my MRX manual. Maybe when I connect the player via HDMI I will only have the option of one or the other and there won't be a choice between bitstream vs PCM?
post #1084 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 PM

I just used MRX500_700US(v50.02) to update my MRX-500. Everything seem to go well, and when I was finished the System Information screen said version v50.02. However when I cycle through the INFO button on the remote, I get:

MCU F/W Version v50.02
Video Version v50.01
DSP 1 Version v40.01
DSP 2 Version v40.01
MM F/W Version V1.0.0

Is this right?

Thanks,

Bruce
post #1085 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by grebkercik View Post

Ah-ha. Now we are getting somewhere! Thanks for the answers on the video portion wcmlutz. You have confirmed for me that the video chipset in the player should be my primary concern since I'm not all that interested in many of the bells and whistles.

Still looking for some info on why my Dealer recommended against using a blu-ray player for CD audio. Anyone? Any comments on pros/cons of bitstream vs PCM are welcome too. Actually I'm out of town for the holidays and don't have my MRX manual. Maybe when I connect the player via HDMI I will only have the option of one or the other and there won't be a choice between bitstream vs PCM?

There is no diff b/t bitstreaming or PCM selections. They both carry the identical sound information.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1086 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce24 View Post

I just used MRX500_700US(v50.02) to update my MRX-500. Everything seem to go well, and when I was finished the System Information screen said version v50.02. However when I cycle through the INFO button on the remote, I get:

MCU F/W Version v50.02
Video Version v50.01
DSP 1 Version v40.01
DSP 2 Version v40.01
MM F/W Version V1.0.0

Is this right?

Thanks,

Bruce

Yes. You have done the update correctly.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1087 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Took my MRX 500 to a friend's place the other night to test it with a 7.1 setup. Mine is a 2.1 so it doesn't allow me to really test it's full capability. The 7.1 system has similar speakers to my main HT so it is a good test compared to my D2v setup. However, we were comparing it to his Denon 4310(using Audyssey XT) powered with an Emotiva for his from speakers, Paradigm studio 60s and a CC690 centre. We tested the Denon first with movies and music, then installed the MRX. A full ARC measurement was done and then uploaded. Our observations were:

Movies
1. more detailed and focused sound.
2. wider sound stage and more 3D effect
3. Deeper and tighter sub response.(paradigm Servo 15) We set it with ARC to Flat for sub high pass setting. His ARC chart was outstanding and now sounded like it should( it was my previous sub so I knew it's capabilities)
Music
He previously listened to music bypassing Audyssey due to the flat sound he was getting. I can confirm his observations.
1.sound was more focused and bass notes were now tighter using only his studio 60s. We set them to flat in ARC and this did the trick.
2. Increased detail
3. He was actually blown away by the diff with his music since he was not using Audyssey. With Audyssey, focus gone, with ARC it came back.
Bottom line, for less than $500 ,compared to the Denon et al., you get one great receiver with great room correction. Enjoy, you're not missing anything
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1088 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Yes. You have done the update correctly.
John

Thanks, I went back and realized that the multimedia update was a separate process via USB. I was simple enough to do, I was hoping it would fix the display when I was in media. Unlike when I display setup, when I go to media, everything is blown up to the point I only see the bottom half of the Anthem logo.

-Bruce
post #1089 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles17 View Post

I really appreciate your feedback and advice.

Will chat to my dealer and follow up with him as he did the install. I really do want to experience what everyone else is and hope this will be the solution, so thanks once again and enjoy your system

I am actually not surprised that going the digital route yields better sonic results. Consider it yourself: you have a digital stream that you convert to analog signal in CD/Blu-Ray player's D/A converter. Then you convert it back to digital in MRX's A/D converter so that ARC can apply its digital filters and alter the response inverse to your room (hopefully yielding a much flatter resulting response and hopefully more natural sound). Then MRX sends the signal to D/A converter, volume control and power amps (or volume control first if it is done in digital domain).

When you go digital route, you take Blu-Ray player's D/A converter and MRX's A/D converter out of the circuit. Audiophile golden rule has always been to minimise number of parts the signal has to go through because each one can add unwanted noise and distorsion. In this case, MRX sees the original digital signal coming off the laser pickup - no D/A->A/D stages to subtly screw up the sound.

Having said all that, I am a bit concerned with such a drastic difference because that means that FM tuner (analog by nature) does not sound particularly good (because it has to go to D/A converter in order to be ARCed). I like to listen to the radio here in Toronto while I work (mostly CBC stereo and 91.1 Jazz FM). It would sadden me that all the analog source components I would connect to MRX would sound mediocre. Perhaps MRX's A/D convertor is not very good (D/A must be good otherwise everything would suck - all signals must eventually be converted to analog).
post #1090 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Took my MRX 500 to a friend's place the other night to test it with a 7.1 setup. Mine is a 2.1 so it doesn't allow me to really test it's full capability. The 7.1 system has similar speakers to my main HT so it is a good test compared to my D2v setup. However, we were comparing it to his Denon 4310(using Audyssey XT) powered with an Emotiva for his from speakers, Paradigm studio 60s and a CC690 centre. We tested the Denon first with movies and music, then installed the MRX. A full ARC measurement was done and then uploaded. Our observations were:

Movies
1. more detailed and focused sound.
2. wider sound stage and more 3D effect
3. Deeper and tighter sub response.(paradigm Servo 15) We set it with ARC to Flat for sub high pass setting. His ARC chart was outstanding and now sounded like it should( it was my previous sub so I knew it's capabilities)
Music
He previously listened to music bypassing Audyssey due to the flat sound he was getting. I can confirm his observations.
1.sound was more focused and bass notes were now tighter using only his studio 60s. We set them to flat in ARC and this did the trick.
2. Increased detail
3. He was actually blown away by the diff with his music since he was not using Audyssey. With Audyssey, focus gone, with ARC it came back.
Bottom line, for less than $500 ,compared to the Denon et al., you get one great receiver with great room correction. Enjoy, you're not missing anything
John

Hey John,
Do you have any idea where the Network Settings screen is in the MRXs menu? I am trying to find out what my receivers MAC address is so I can allow it to get through my firewall for Internet radio.
post #1091 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hey John,
Do you have any idea where the Network Settings screen is in the MRXs menu? I am trying to find out what my receivers MAC address is so I can allow it to get through my firewall for Internet radio.

You have to be in the Internet Radio source. A menu comes up in the screen with three choices, pick Settings and there you will find what you are looking for.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1092 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Hey John,

Get to internet radio (MEDIA key) and then go to Settings and then Network Settings and it will show you your MAC address.

-Bruce
post #1093 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
any clues to whether the MRXs use a Multi-DAC/CODEC or individual DACs for each channel ? I know its the not everything - the quality of the DACs -but its one important stage , and I'm interested
post #1094 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce24 View Post

Get to internet radio (MEDIA key) and then go to Settings and then Network Settings and it will show you your MAC address.

-Bruce

Thanks. I hit the media key, and just get a black screen. Where is it in the settings? I see no section for network settings?
post #1095 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I hit the media key, and just get a black screen. Where is it in the settings?

Your display must be on. Then switch to media Internet. Select "settings" and then Network Settings.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1096 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your display must be on. Then switch to media Internet. Select "settings" and then Network Settings.
John

Ok,
I push the media button till I get to Internet Radio, where can I select settings? is the settings in the setup menu?
post #1097 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok,
I push the media button till I get to Internet Radio, where can I select settings? is the settings in the setup menu?

Three options come up on your tv screen once you select Internet Radio. Internet Radio, Now Playing and Settings. In Settings, the network settings are now selectable.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1098 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Three options come up on your tv screen once you select Internet Radio. Internet Radio, Now Playing and Settings. In Settings, the network settings are now selectable.
John

That's weird I get nothing on my screen when I enter the Internet radio section. Just a black screen?
post #1099 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

John

My Ethernet connection input does not work? I can see something is wrong with input it does not light up when I plug the Ethernet cable in it?
post #1100 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Ok, I think I received enough blu-ray player info to choose an appropriate one.

Next question and please excuse since this is not strictly a Anthem MRX question.

Speaker set-up for home theater, i.e. best setup for the Anthem MRX 700. What I recall from about 8 years ago when I was still active in the audio hobby was that AC3 was the current surround format. If I recall correctly a lot of the advice was to use 5 full range (tower) speakers for 5.1 since AC3 had 5 full range channels.

Fast forward to the present and much of my speaker research into various speaker manufacturers leads me to believe that full range speakers all around didn't stick. Most packages I have seen are bookshelf all around with a sub or towers for the fronts but certainly smallish bookshelf type for the surrounds. Of course all of these are using a .1 sub.

Can anyone fill in the gap for me? I assume the answer is either
1) Even though the AVR is capable of sending full range to all channels Dolby processing or studio formatting is only sending mid & upper surround effects and full range speakers are overkill.
2) Full range speakers all around are just not conducive to placement in most home living rooms/5 full range speakers are just too expensive for the avg consumer.

*Edit* In general what should I be looking for in a 5.1 setup? My living room will not support 7.1 functionally...
post #1101 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Ethernet connection input does not work? I can see something is wrong with input it does not light up when I plug the Ethernet cable in it?

Mine lights up.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1102 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine lights up.
John

Big problem!
post #1103 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

[quote="HeffeMusic"]

Big problem! It's not because I have my keystone adapter plugged in at the same time is it?
post #1104 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM

There has been a lot of positive information and feedback about these new Anthem receivers so it piqued my curiosity. As a result I went to my local dealer and had a brief session with a MRX 500 with ARC already set up. It was already a good room but it just sounded better with ARC, which hasn't been my experience with Audyssey MultiEQ. That helps to back up what I have been seeing in these threads about how well the Anthem unit performs.

As a result I have a deposit on a MRX 300 and look forward to the improvement that it brings. It should be quite a step up in comparison to my Denon 888.
post #1105 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:53 PM

My apologies if this has been asked... I'm researching purchasing either an MRX500 or 300 and reading the manual about running ARC. I use a Mac laptop at home and will pick up a Keyspan USB adaptor, but was curious regarding bootcamp versus VMWare. The Manual state Parallels is not supported. I saw some posts in which it seems people are using it. I currently have a XP VMWare session installed on my MacBook Pro using VMWare Fusion... will this work for running ARC or should I install Bootcamp instead? Thanks in advance.
post #1106 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epochniac View Post

There has been a lot of positive information and feedback about these new Anthem receivers so it piqued my curiosity. As a result I went to my local dealer and had a brief session with a MRX 500 with ARC already set up. It was already a good room but it just sounded better with ARC, which hasn't been my experience with Audyssey MultiEQ. That helps to back up what I have been seeing in these threads about how well the Anthem unit performs.

As a result I have a deposit on a MRX 300 and look forward to the improvement that it brings. It should be quite a step up in comparison to my Denon 888.

ARC is in different league.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1107 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The USB can be plugged at the same time.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1108 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The USB can be plugged at the same time.
John

I don't men the USB, I mean the RS232 cable.
post #1109 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't men the USB, I mean the RS232 cable.

Do you mean the Keyspan adapter?
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1110 of 16559 Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you mean the Keyspan adapter?
John

No, the cable that plugs in the back of the receiver that you upload your software upgrades.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page