Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 376 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11251 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthe View Post

John,
Excellent! I'll actually be running 4 speakers, but I would expect your statement to still apply. I would expect to re-run ARC when I add the center, so that's no problem.
Now, to make time to visit the dealer... who is hopefully still in business (several listed on the website appear to be long defunct)

That's correct, ARC should be run each time a speaker is added.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by v65v65 View Post

Just received my new MRX-300 but I have not ran ARC yet, still setting up the new theater room. I know using ARC with two subwoofers has been discussed before. But after reading this entire thread I did not see this setup discussed. I have a HSU ULS-15 subwoofer and I am thinking of adding a MBM-12 MK2 mid-bass module for more middle and upper base punch. You setup the MBM by splitting the frequency going to the sub and the MBM as explained here. "Use a Y adapter to split the signal from the sub out to feed both the true subwoofer and the MBM-12 MK2. Set the crossover frequency on the subwoofer to 50 Hz, and crossover switch to ‘in’. The MBM-12 MK2 will then reproduce the range from 50 Hz up to the crossover frequency set on your controller. Your true subwoofer will reproduce the range from 50 Hz down. Set the distance parameter on the controller for the subwoofer to the distance of the MBM-12 MK2 to you." My question is how would I use ARC to in this setup to control the subwoofer and the MBM? Or can I use ARC at all since we now that we have set the crossover on the subwoofer? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Larry

As was already stated, try everything with the sub you have before you go about adding a second one. Also use ARC's "Quick Measure" tool to see if you can relocate your sub. It may just be in a really bad place eek.gif

As for ARC, set the low pass filter of your sub at 50 and the MBM high pass filter at 50 as suggested. Do not set a low pass filter/crossover on the MBM, allow the MRX/ARC to set the crossover for you. ARC will see the two subs as one single sub and work just fine with it.

Essentially all you are doing is creating a single Sub (in two cabinates) that uses an ultra low frequency subwoofer (your sub) crossed over at 50Hz to a normal woofer (the MBM).

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #11253 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, I'm in need of a new receiver and I'm seriously considering the MRX 300, but I've got a few questions for the assembled masses...
1. I don't (currently) have a center speaker. Will the MRX properly send the center signal to the L/R front speakers? My old (but dead) receiver would do this, but I don't see any mention of this in the manual. Would ARC be affected by the lack of a center speaker? (In the future I will get a center speaker, but that's in the next budget cycle...)
2. Where to up-convert video. I currently have only one hi-def source (BDP-95) so everything is just connected directly to the TV (Sony XBR-46HX909) and use the TOSLINK out from the TV to feed the receiver (which is nice because the TV does the lip-sync delay). The question is am I better leaving the SD sources connected directly to the TV, or am I better letting the MRX do the upscaling?
3. I've got a Harmony 900 remote. Is it possible to connect an IR output of the Harmony RF/IR box directly to the MRX?
I plan on visiting the local Anthem dealer soon, but if the MRX won't fit my needs I may need to reconsider; though from what I've rad ARC is the way to go.
Thanks!
-Fred

1) Yes, the MRX correctly knows how to handle not having a center. This is pretty standard on all receivers.

2) As Jayray stated, the MRX does a nice job of upconverting, so most use the MRX. However, as you do use a Harmony 900, you could still use your TV if you feel it is better at upconverting and then have the Harmony change the sources of both the MRX (for audio) and the TV (for video) if you feel your TV does a better job than the MRX. Though most everything I have read suggests the MRX is really good at upconverting, so unless you have a really good upconverting TV... the MRX really makes sense in most cases.

3) There is an IR out on the MRX that you can use, assuming the 900 has a place to connect it. Otherwise you can use an IR blaster with your RF converter that comes with the 900 (as I recall).

post #11254 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post

I don't see why you can't try what you want and then run ARC after. What this should do is allow ARC to see what you have done and increase frequencies accordingly. SO, what I am saying is that your MBM is doing compared to your sub ARC would see as 1 sub. So, if frequencies are missing it would try to increase those and decrease the frequencies that are too high and with the crossovers you selected for the 2 devices they should be able to handle it. Hard to explain. I know what I am thinking in my head but can't put it down here.

I understand what your describing. Still learning about ARC and how it is used. The only setup I used before was just a SPL meter and test tones on the receiver so this is all new to me. I was asking because if I understand how ARC is used they say to disable the crossover on the sub and the the MRX and ARC handle all of the processing. This setup would not follow that guideline.
post #11255 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

As was already stated, try everything with the sub you have before you go about adding a second one. Also use ARC's "Quick Measure" tool to see if you can relocate your sub. It may just be in a really bad place eek.gif
As for ARC, set the low pass filter of your sub at 50 and the MBM high pass filter at 50 as suggested. Do not set a low pass filter/crossover on the MBM, allow the MRX/ARC to set the crossover for you. ARC will see the two subs as one single sub and work just fine with it.
Essentially all you are doing is creating a single Sub (in two cabinates) that uses an ultra low frequency subwoofer (your sub) crossed over at 50Hz to a normal woofer (the MBM).

I replied early before seeing your post. Now it is starting to make sense how this would work. Looking forward to using ARC. Thanks for everyone's help.
post #11256 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v65v65 View Post

I understand what your describing. Still learning about ARC and how it is used. The only setup I used before was just a SPL meter and test tones on the receiver so this is all new to me. I was asking because if I understand how ARC is used they say to disable the crossover on the sub and the the MRX and ARC handle all of the processing. This setup would not follow that guideline.

Pretty much, although you have the 50Hz crossover point, that is below where the MRX is going to cross to your "New super sub". The lowest the MRX will cross to the sub is 60. So as long as you leave the MBM wide open from 50 up, the MRX will still being doing the crossing over to your "sub" as is recommended.

And of course, ARC should always be run after you have setup your dual sub arrangment. wink.gif But that I think goes without saying... ARC is always the last step.

post #11257 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 PM

During playing DOLBY, DD/DTS DRC setting is set to AUTO by default , I found NORMAL always sounds the same as AUTO, while [Late Night and Reduced] will suppress the dynamic range, my question here is, what is the meaning of setting it AUTO if it always equal to NORMAL? How acutally this AUTO works in switching to other modes - if it does swtich?
post #11258 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 05:16 PM

Liked: 16
I recently changed the speakers (from digm 60v5 to focal electra 1008 Be bookshelves). I also have digm studio sub12. After re-running ARC, a few questions popped up. So, hoping this thread could help answer them as always.

1)
- Is it okay to use non-symmetric listening positions while running ARC?
- Using same position twice sounds ridiculous?

2) 1st attached file is my old ARC run with digm 60v5. 2nd file is with new focal electra, where you can see there's a dramatic drop-off above 8kHz. The electra spec is up to 40kHz, so I could not believe what I saw. I understand ARC only corrects up to 5kHz but the freq sweep seems like it is up to 20kHz. Electra's Be tweeter is supposed to be better than digm's, but from the charts it's showing the opposite.
- Does this mean I have defective tweeters? Both left and right?
- Electras do sound normal. But I've never had a blown tweeter, so I probably wouldn't know.

3) My room gain used to be 3.16. Now it is 3.94 which I believe is max.
- Should I try to pull this one down? Sub level calibration is -1 now.

4) My sub measured curve and corrected one aren't very different (thanks to PBK probably). And my MRX unit came with 50.23 firmware installed. So ARC on or off doesn't sound very different for the low end, at least nothing that I can detect with my ears. How do I know if my MRX unit has recent DSP2 issue - ARC not correcting all channels?

Thanks in advance.

post #11259 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can help with one of your questions. You can see the DSP2 version by pressing the "info" button, each press will cycle through each item. If you do not have DSP2 50.04 you should request it from support and load.

barry
post #11260 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post

I can help with one of your questions. You can see the DSP2 version by pressing the "info" button, each press will cycle through each item. If you do not have DSP2 50.04 you should request it from support and load.
barry

DSP2 with 50.23 has corrections for LCR but not the sub and surrounds.
post #11261 of 16670 Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post

I recently changed the speakers (from digm 60v5 to focal electra 1008 Be bookshelves). I also have digm studio sub12. After re-running ARC, a few questions popped up. So, hoping this thread could help answer them as always.
1)
- Is it okay to use non-symmetric listening positions while running ARC?
- Using same position twice sounds ridiculous?
2) 1st attached file is my old ARC run with digm 60v5. 2nd file is with new focal electra, where you can see there's a dramatic drop-off above 8kHz. The electra spec is up to 40kHz, so I could not believe what I saw. I understand ARC only corrects up to 5kHz but the freq sweep seems like it is up to 20kHz. Electra's Be tweeter is supposed to be better than digm's, but from the charts it's showing the opposite.
- Does this mean I have defective tweeters? Both left and right?
- Electras do sound normal. But I've never had a blown tweeter, so I probably wouldn't know.
3) My room gain used to be 3.16. Now it is 3.94 which I believe is max.
- Should I try to pull this one down? Sub level calibration is -1 now.
4) My sub measured curve and corrected one aren't very different (thanks to PBK probably). And my MRX unit came with 50.23 firmware installed. So ARC on or off doesn't sound very different for the low end, at least nothing that I can detect with my ears. How do I know if my MRX unit has recent DSP2 issue - ARC not correcting all channels?
Thanks in advance.

1) Yes you can use non symmetric listening positions, but make sure none of them are the same location or within 2 feet of a previous location.

2) It doesn't look to me like you have a blown tweeter, unless your mids go really high before they hit the crossover to the tweeters. Also as both look the same, this would imply that both were blown if one was. I would consider the specs suspect... or perhaps misleading. Doe they say at what volume they play at 40KHz? Wither way, ARC stops measuring at 20k, so we don't know what is happening after 20k, though it looks like your new speakers are dropping off at about 10k.

One thing to consider, are the tweeters at the same height as your listening height? In other words, the tweeters should be at the same height as your head when you are sitting in your listeneing position, and of course the mic should also be at the same height as your listening position when you are taking your measurements. Make sure the ARC microphone is pointed straight up when taking your measurements.

Tweeters are highly directional, by their nature, due to the high frequencies they are producing. Make sure your speakers are slightly toed in towards your listening position so the tweeters are pointed directly at the main listening position (or in its general direction at least).

The fact that your old speakers look better may just have to do with the height and direction the tweeters were facing with your old speakers when compared to the new ones.

3) I wouldn't worry about the room gain. If it sounds a bit too bass heavy or boomy, you can set the room gain manually to be a bit lower.

4) As you are using PBK, ARC is doing very little to your sub. So you are not likely to notice any major differences. Check the DSP version you have, as blb1215 suggested, but unless you received beta firmware on your MRX, you should upgrade to the latest beta firmware or wait a bit and upgraded to the the new production firmware when it is released.

post #11262 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:

1) Yes you can use non symmetric listening positions, but make sure none of them are the same location or within 2 feet of a previous location.
2) It doesn't look to me like you have a blown tweeter, unless your mids go really high before they hit the crossover to the tweeters. Also as both look the same, this would imply that both were blown if one was. I would consider the specs suspect... or perhaps misleading. Doe they say at what volume they play at 40KHz? Wither way, ARC stops measuring at 20k, so we don't know what is happening after 20k, though it looks like your new speakers are dropping off at about 10k.
One thing to consider, are the tweeters at the same height as your listening height? In other words, the tweeters should be at the same height as your head when you are sitting in your listeneing position, and of course the mic should also be at the same height as your listening position when you are taking your measurements. Make sure the ARC microphone is pointed straight up when taking your measurements.
Tweeters are highly directional, by their nature, due to the high frequencies they are producing. Make sure your speakers are slightly toed in towards your listening position so the tweeters are pointed directly at the main listening position (or in its general direction at least).
The fact that your old speakers look better may just have to do with the height and direction the tweeters were facing with your old speakers when compared to the new ones.
3) I wouldn't worry about the room gain. If it sounds a bit too bass heavy or boomy, you can set the room gain manually to be a bit lower.
4) As you are using PBK, ARC is doing very little to your sub. So you are not likely to notice any major differences. Check the DSP version you have, as blb1215 suggested, but unless you received beta firmware on your MRX, you should upgrade to the latest beta firmware or wait a bit and upgraded to the the new production firmware when it is released.

Hi Tigger, appreciate it as always!

2) I approximated the microphone at ear height with upward position. But regardless today I rerun ARC again with more precise mic positioning. The result still turns out to be the same for high freq roll off above 10kHz. I even did a quick measure for the fronts to see if other area in the room is different. Focal 1008 Beryllium tweeter is supposed to be very good and my ears do agree, but it just doesn't seem consistent with ARC freq sweep. Yes, the spec is up to 40kHz according to Focal - they believe even though freq > 20kHz is not audible, it should help improve the efficiency at high end.

And you're right in that tweeters are okay. My guess is if either one of them is blown, ARC would show error during the sweep. I'm puzzled why the curve turns out to be that way. I'm just afraid something might be broken that I don't know of. Maybe it's the room not being treated??

One other thing is 1008 Be are rear ported. Currently I have the rear 2 feet away from the front wall. Maybe moving out might help. But it's too late to try today.

4) I guess I could wait on the official firmware release. This is not the main concern at the moment.

I attached my new ARC run below. All 3 level calibration for fronts L/R and sub are at 0. smile.gif

Again, thanks much!

post #11263 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Tigger, appreciate it as always!
2) I approximated the microphone at ear height with upward position. But regardless today I rerun ARC again with more precise mic positioning. The result still turns out to be the same for high freq roll off above 10kHz. I even did a quick measure for the fronts to see if other area in the room is different. Focal 1008 Beryllium tweeter is supposed to be very good and my ears do agree, but it just doesn't seem consistent with ARC freq sweep. Yes, the spec is up to 40kHz according to Focal - they believe even though freq > 20kHz is not audible, it should help improve the efficiency at high end.
And you're right in that tweeters are okay. My guess is if either one of them is blown, ARC would show error during the sweep. I'm puzzled why the curve turns out to be that way. I'm just afraid something might be broken that I don't know of. Maybe it's the room not being treated??
One other thing is 1008 Be are rear ported. Currently I have the rear 2 feet away from the front wall. Maybe moving out might help. But it's too late to try today.

4) I guess I could wait on the official firmware release. This is not the main concern at the moment.
I attached my new ARC run below. All 3 level calibration for fronts L/R and sub are at 0. smile.gif
Again, thanks much!

ARC will not throw an error, just because a speaker is blown (unless something is really wrong). It will however show you the speaker is not responding in the frequency range it covers. (If the whole speaker itself, not just one of the speakers in your speaker, is dead, than ARC will not detect anything from that channel and will show an error).

As for the speaker being more efficient because it goes higher... sounds like marketing and sales BS to me... but I would love to know their logic to that statement.

The rear port will have no effect on the Tweeter. The port is for your woofer. The tweeter (should) be a closed back and therefore completely independent of the port, speaker cabinet or any of the rest of the speaker cosmetics (short of someone putting a grill cloth over the tweeter that absorbs high frequencies).

Room treatments will have no real impact on the tweeter, except to help reduce reflections of high frequencies (which would cause you to lose volume in the higher frequencies, not gain it). Unless of course by treatments you mean removing any sound absorbing materials in your room and applying hard reflective surfaces... not a good plan in most cases.

As your old speakers (in presumably nearly the same location) had no problem going higher, what you are seeing is the result of the new speaker design. Not the room.

Again, the specs say the speaker will play at 40kHz and I don't doubt that, but at what volume? If they hit 40kHz at 50db down... your graph would likely look like what you are seeing. I would contact the speaker manufacturer and ask them for a graph of the speakers frequency response up to the 40kHz point. I would also ask them what the crossover frequency is for the tweeter. If it is around 3-4kHz (which I'm guessing it is) than your tweeters are working just fine. If it is around 8-10kHz, than yes, you may have an issue as it basically looks like your tweeters are rolling off at that frequency.

Out of curiosity, have you tried placing the ARC mic about 5-6 feet directly inf front of the tweeter, at the exact same height as the tweeter, and doing a sweep there? You can use Quick Measure to do this. I would be interested to see that graph.

post #11264 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 03:46 PM

I'll update ASAP. Any idea if this is a known issue and being worked on?
post #11265 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

So, I'm in need of a new receiver and I'm seriously considering the MRX 300, but I've got a few questions for the assembled masses...
1. I don't (currently) have a center speaker. Will the MRX properly send the center signal to the L/R front speakers? My old (but dead) receiver would do this, but I don't see any mention of this in the manual. Would ARC be affected by the lack of a center speaker? (In the future I will get a center speaker, but that's in the next budget cycle...)
As a followup, I finally found where it mentions turning off the center channel in the manual. Not that matters, when I went by the dealer today to order one he offered me a great deal on a demo Revel Performa C52.

Now I'm wondering what firmware version it will have when I pick it up next week. I will be watching the firmware discussion closely!
post #11266 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Well, this is awesome. The replacement didn't have the audio processing issue when at FW 50.00. However, it also didn't have a few gazillion features, such as CEC, and it had a some other video glitches, and it wouldn't play DTS HD edtc.... So, dumb ass me, I upgrade to 50.23 ... Now it won't process audio again. And of course, Anthem still doesn't respond to e-mails or their own online support form. I even tried PMing Nick@Anthem here. So far, tech support seems to be an Anthem myth. YAY, for another f'ing weekend without a receiver that works.

Can anyone PM the beta update. I don't seem to be able to get it from Anthem.
post #11267 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

when I flip through INFO, it shows FW 50.23, Video 50.11, but DSP 1 and 2 don't show a version, then MM show 1.1.0. Shouldn't DSP 1 and 2 show a version?
post #11268 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

when I flip through INFO, it shows FW 50.23, Video 50.11, but DSP 1 and 2 don't show a version, then MM show 1.1.0. Shouldn't DSP 1 and 2 show a version?

Should be numbers there, mine are DSP 1: 40.01 DSP 2: 50.03

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #11269 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

hmm, I've tried downloading again and re-installing, but still no DSP versions showing. Is that a separate download?
post #11270 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, this is awesome. The replacement didn't have the audio processing issue when at FW 50.00. However, it also didn't have a few gazillion features, such as CEC, and it had a some other video glitches, and it wouldn't play DTS HD edtc.... So, dumb ass me, I upgrade to 50.23 ... Now it won't process audio again. And of course, Anthem still doesn't respond to e-mails or their own online support form. I even tried PMing Nick@Anthem here. So far, tech support seems to be an Anthem myth. YAY, for another f'ing weekend without a receiver that works.
Can anyone PM the beta update. I don't seem to be able to get it from Anthem.

As has been stated, the problem you had with your last receiver is specific to 50.23. So if you upgraded to 50.23, you will have your problem again. I don't know why your receiver came with 50.00, that is very early and all recent receivers have shipped with much newer firmware.

I would request that your dealer get the beta firmware for you. Beta users are sepcifically told not to share the beta software, so I don't think you are likely to get it from anyone on here.

As for sending a PM to Nick, I would not expect that to work well. I may be mistaken, but I believe he had PM's turned off and does not check them. I think the fact that you can send him a PM now is simply a glitch from when the AVS forum was upgraded. But I may be mistaken. Also, though Nick occasionaly stops by the forum, it is not something he does regularly and it is on his own time, after hours, so not a reliable way to get support.
Quote:

Why don't you go to your dealer and have them upgrade the MRX? Yes, you should be able to see your DSP versions. If you are on firmware release 50.23 you should have DSP1: 40.01 and DSP2: v50.03.

post #11271 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinskin View Post

I'll update ASAP. Any idea if this is a known issue and being worked on?

This post seems to be lacking any context. Unless I missed something.

post #11272 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:

ARC will not throw an error, just because a speaker is blown (unless something is really wrong). It will however show you the speaker is not responding in the frequency range it covers. (If the whole speaker itself, not just one of the speakers in your speaker, is dead, than ARC will not detect anything from that channel and will show an error).
As for the speaker being more efficient because it goes higher... sounds like marketing and sales BS to me... but I would love to know their logic to that statement.
The rear port will have no effect on the Tweeter. The port is for your woofer. The tweeter (should) be a closed back and therefore completely independent of the port, speaker cabinet or any of the rest of the speaker cosmetics (short of someone putting a grill cloth over the tweeter that absorbs high frequencies).
Room treatments will have no real impact on the tweeter, except to help reduce reflections of high frequencies (which would cause you to lose volume in the higher frequencies, not gain it). Unless of course by treatments you mean removing any sound absorbing materials in your room and applying hard reflective surfaces... not a good plan in most cases.
As your old speakers (in presumably nearly the same location) had no problem going higher, what you are seeing is the result of the new speaker design. Not the room.
Again, the specs say the speaker will play at 40kHz and I don't doubt that, but at what volume? If they hit 40kHz at 50db down... your graph would likely look like what you are seeing. I would contact the speaker manufacturer and ask them for a graph of the speakers frequency response up to the 40kHz point. I would also ask them what the cros doover frequency is for the tweeter. If it is around 3-4kHz (which I'm guessing it is) than your tweeters are working just fine. If it is around 8-10kHz, than yes, you may have an issue as it basically looks like your tweeters are rolling off at that frequency.
Out of curiosity, have you tried placing the ARC mic about 5-6 feet directly inf front of the tweeter, at the exact same height as the tweeter, and doing a sweep there? You can use Quick Measure to do this. I would be interested to see that graph.

Hi Tigger,

Thank you for the reply as always.

The reason I thought ARC would show an error for a blown driver is because I read in the Audyssey thread that someone got an error message while running Audyssey with a broken tweeter. So I thought ARC should be the same in that regard. After all it's just sweeping the freq. response using a mic and a speaker.

http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-loudspeakers/hifi-speakers/bookshelf-speakers/electra-1008-be.php
This is the link to focal electra 1008 Be product page from their website where it states the spec. Not saying one way or the other about 40kHz spec and its relation to efficiency because I simply do not know. I do remember in one of the reviews of focal electra series (not just for 1008 Be bookshelves), they mentioned about the benefit of being able to go that high.

I felt embarrassed to have made the statement suggesting rear port position/ room treatments might affect the high freq. roll off. It was at 2am in the morning. smile.gif

Be tweeter crossover is 2.2kHz. Apparently it works fine for 2.2kHz to 10kHz in my ARC sweep. Should have thought of that earlier. Thanks for pointing it out. Also, a quick search on google and I found this frequency chart of 1028Be (a floorstanding model to 1008 Be). Looks very similar to my ARC sweep except after 13-14kHz it rolls up again to 20kHz.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/focal-electra-1028-be-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

I will try the quick measure again with the mic at 5-6 feet directly in the tweeter's path over this weekend. Will keep you posted.
post #11273 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Tigger,
The reason I thought ARC would show an error for a blown driver is because I read in the Audyssey thread that someone got an error message while running Audyssey with a broken tweeter. So I thought ARC should be the same in that regard. After all it's just sweeping the freq. response using a mic and a speaker.
http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-loudspeakers/hifi-speakers/bookshelf-speakers/electra-1008-be.php
This is the link to focal electra 1008 Be product page from their website where it states the spec. Not saying one way or the other about 40kHz spec and its relation to efficiency because I simply do not know. I do remember in one of the reviews of focal electra series (not just for 1008 Be bookshelves), they mentioned about the benefit of being able to go that high.
I felt embarrassed to have made the statement suggesting rear port position/ room treatments might affect the high freq. roll off. It was at 2am in the morning. smile.gif
Be tweeter crossover is 2.2kHz. Apparently it works fine for 2.2kHz to 10kHz in my ARC sweep. Should have thought of that earlier. Thanks for pointing it out. Also, a quick search on google and I found this frequency chart of 1028Be (a floorstanding model to 1008 Be). Looks very similar to my ARC sweep except after 13-14kHz it rolls up again to 20kHz.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/focal-electra-1028-be-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures
I will try the quick measure again with the mic at 5-6 feet directly in the tweeter's path over this weekend. Will keep you posted.

Not to worry, we have all had those late night posts! wink.gif I was just trying to gauge your level of "expertise" based on that post so I could respond at an approriate level. But your follow up post makes it clear I may have gotten the wrong impression from the late night post tongue.gif

Note, in the test that you posted, they stated they took very close mic measurments. You might try from two ffeet in front of the speaker!

As for ARC, it doesn't know how low or high your speaker can go... so if it sees 100Hz to 3000Hz, it just assumes that is your speaker... how is it to know that you don't just have really bad speakers? I have no idea how Audyssey can pretend to know either.

Now if ARC hears nothing or it hears something but it is way to quiet, than it knows that there may be an issue withthat speaker. smile.gif

I hate to say it, but I think your old speakers were simply better at maintaining a higher sound level in the higher frequencies. But again, with treble being so directional, it is key to make sure the speakers are pointed toward your listening position.

You could send the manufacturer your graphs and see what they say? Maybe the tweeters are slightly damaged somehow? Reproducing 40Khz is not easy to do!

post #11274 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Tigger,

Not to worry, we have all had those late night posts! wink.gif I was just trying to gauge your level of "expertise" based on that post so I could respond at an approriate level. But your follow up post makes it clear I may have gotten the wrong impression from the late night post tongue.gif

Note, in the test that you posted, they stated they took very close mic measurments. You might try from two ffeet in front of the speaker!

As for ARC, it doesn't know how low or high your speaker can go... so if it sees 100Hz to 3000Hz, it just assumes that is your speaker... how is it to know that you don't just have really bad speakers? I have no idea how Audyssey can pretend to know either.

Now if ARC hears nothing or it hears something but it is way to quiet, than it knows that there may be an issue withthat speaker. smile.gif

I hate to say it, but I think your old speakers were simply better at maintaining a higher sound level in the higher frequencies. But again, with treble being so directional, it is key to make sure the speakers are pointed toward your listening position.

You could send the manufacturer your graphs and see what they say? Maybe the tweeters are slightly damaged somehow? Reproducing 40Khz is not easy to do!

I'm just really puzzled. My ears say otherwise about my old and new speakers.

"Slighter damaged" is also unlikely because both speakers show the same response at high frequency. Possible, but to have both blown at the same time at the same level of damage would be quite rare and very unlucky.

Focal Be tweeter is their marquee attraction and the reason I chose it over Paradigm Sig S2, Dynaudio Contour 1.4S and B&W 805 Diamond. So to have the freq sweep showing Paradigm Studio tweeter (my old speaker) maintains SPL better at high freq is a little hard for me to believe.

I'll be busy this weekend for sure. Apparently not enjoying listening to music. frown.gif Will be contacting Focal as well.
post #11275 of 16670 Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hmm, I've tried downloading again and re-installing, but still no DSP versions showing. Is that a separate download?

In the download folder there are two ways to load the firmware. First the auto mode where all the files are uploaded while the second method uses the manual mode where you can choose which files you want to load. So you can upload the DSP2 50.04 file only if you choose.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #11276 of 16670 Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

In the download folder there are two ways to load the firmware. First the auto mode where all the files are uploaded while the second method uses the manual mode where you can choose which files you want to load. So you can upload the DSP2 50.04 file only if you choose.
John

Note, this is only if you are working with a beta release of the software. The production releases only have the single, all inclusive, file and uploader. This of course is to make sure nothing gets missed and to simplify uploading/installing by the general public.

The public release, however should contain/update everything. With one exception, it does not contain the multimedia firmware, which needs to be down loaded and installed seperatly.

post #11277 of 16670 Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JMCecil, where are you located? Are you in the US? Is your MRX a 110 or 240 volt model?

If you are outside of the US, you need to go through your distributer. I'm confused as to why your MRX has such early firmware in the first place.

post #11278 of 16670 Old 06-30-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

JMCecil, where are you located? Are you in the US? Is your MRX a 110 or 240 volt model?
If you are outside of the US, you need to go through your distributer. I'm confused as to why your MRX has such early firmware in the first place.
I'm in the US. I downloaded the 50.23 from the Anthem site. It shows the DSP 1 and 2 being written in the loader. The unit I had the first time was pre-loaded with .23. The replacement had 50.00. To be honest I'm pretty fed up with this. I'm taking it to the dealer today. It's likely I'll just give it back and find something else, unless they convince me that 1) They didn't give me a referb as my replacement (which is what I think they did), and 2) that it works this week. It's been a month of nothing but frustration.
post #11279 of 16670 Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Should be numbers there, mine are DSP 1: 40.01 DSP 2: 50.03

Hello,
Without having to read through pages of posts, should I be concerned if my DSPs
Are DSP1 40.01 and DSPS2 50.03? I am using the current public version firmware. 50.23
MRX 700.
post #11280 of 16670 Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hello,
Without having to read through pages of posts, should I be concerned if my DSPs
Are DSP1 40.01 and DSPS2 50.03? I am using the current public version firmware. 50.23
MRX 700.

The DSP2 version 50.04 is what you should update to fix the ARC issue. While it doesn't affect all units I would do it just to be sure.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page