Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have the same sub. I used a 2 wheel cart to move it around until I found the best location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

I have the same sub. I used a 2 wheel cart to move it around until I found the best location.

I was looking at the PB-12 Plus until I tried to move it by myself. OMG, it's enough to give me a hernia. And I consider myself to be in pretty good shape:eek:
Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah the back is a little sore today.

Audit, with this setting what is the differenc with this being set to auto or flat. I will definately set to flat but just wanted to know. Also what should the min EQ be.

One last thing, with the cutoffs, what will happen if i set them to 80 instead of 60.

Cheers
Heath
Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouiff View Post

Audit, with this setting what is the differenc with this being set to auto or flat. I will definately set to flat but just wanted to know. Also what should the min EQ be.
One last thing, with the cutoffs, what will happen if i set them to 80 instead of 60.
Cheers
Heath

Setting the sub to flat will equalize the sub for flat frequency response. This is only recommended for subs with overload protection and clean low-frequency output.

Setting the cut-off to 80 instead of 60 could cause an anomaly with your system's in-room frequency response.

Here's a quote from the FAQ in the first post:

Q: What is the difference between Crossover and Cutoff as they apply to ARC implementation?

A: Bob Pariseau says "For a main speaker, the Cutoff is the lowest frequency where ARC applies resources for correction. Think of it as the other end of Max EQ Frequency. I'm not sure, but I suspect there's actually at least an octave of slop in there rather than it being a hard stopping point. I.e., application of correction resources sort of rolls-off below that frequency.

The Crossover is where ARC imposes a roll-off -- an attenuation -- of the bass output of a main speaker -- i.e., because the bass is being steered to the subwoofer. The roll-off is 12dB per octave as I recall. That is at half the Crossover frequency the speaker output will be 12dB below the basic volume level of the ARC solution (with possible adjustment for Room Gain).

In the current ARC version, the Cutoff and Crossover for the main speakers are ALWAYS set the same. Which makes sense. If ARC isn't going to correct that speaker very far below the Cutoff frequency, then you want the output of the speaker below that point to be attenuated. Which is just what the Crossover does. So if you alter the Cutoff for a main speaker in the Targets window, you are ALSO altering its Crossover. This will be readily visible in the shape of the new Targets curve.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 PM

Audit

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will implement the flat setting after watch the current movie and before the next one, mostly likelt Tron, should be another good test for it.

Out of curiosity do you mind me asking what sub you have Audit?

Cheers again for your help.

Heath
Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 PM

Also just one last question, in the advanced tab in the targets area it has the ref level for all speakers, do yo know what this means.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Audit
Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will implement the flat setting after watch the current movie and before the next one, mostly likelt Tron, should be another good test for it.
Out of curiosity do you mind me asking what sub you have Audit?
Cheers again for your help.
Heath

I have an SVS PB-12. When I was at the store, I saw two guys struggling to get the PB12-Plus out of its packaging in order to fit it into their car. When they had difficulty moving it, I decided there and then to go for the smaller and lighter PB12. I thought about getting the PC12-Plus but it looks like a cat scratching post and I have cats! The PB12 worked out well for me because I'm not a bass freak and the basement rec room is not too big.

Which firmware are you running on your mrx?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I have an SVS PB-12. When I was at the store, I saw two guys struggling to get the PB12-Plus out of its packaging in order to fit it into their car. When they had difficulty moving it, I decided there and then to go for the smaller and lighter PB12. I thought about getting the PC12-Plus but it looks like a cat scratching post and I have cats! The PB12 worked out well for me because I'm not a bass freak and the basement rec room is not too big.
Which firmware are you running on your mrx?

I contacted anthem last week before the sub arrived to get the latest firmware. I just did the full automatic installation. This was labelled as firmware 50.24 although from what i have read on here it's only the DSP that has been changed so far to correct arc on the sub and rears, unless i have missed something else.

So far the sub is very imprerssive, i thought i would have got more punch from it (from frequency, not output) for both movies and music, things such as drum strikes and beats in R 'n' B, i guess more subtle than i expected but at the same time i didn't realise the low levels that i was truely missing in movies, watching Tron 3D made me feel like i was watching Tron 4D to be honest, i just didn't realise the extra layer the sub adds in the low frequency. As mentioned i would have thought more music would have been present, i guess it just adds a subtle layer and that is part of the integration with the rest of the speakers.

I did think about the PB-12 but i though i would enjoy the SB a little more. I had nothing to really base this on, maybe just the instore listening of sealed to ported subs. You hear nothing but great reviews on the PB-12 though, like pretty much all of the SVS range.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I contacted anthem last week before the sub arrived to get the latest firmware. I just did the full automatic installation. This was labelled as firmware 50.24 although from what i have read on here it's only the DSP that has been changed so far to correct arc on the sub and rears, unless i have missed something else.
So far the sub is very imprerssive, i thought i would have got more punch from it (from frequency, not output) for both movies and music, things such as drum strikes and beats in R 'n' B, i guess more subtle than i expected but at the same time i didn't realise the low levels that i was truely missing in movies, watching Tron 3D made me feel like i was watching Tron 4D to be honest, i just didn't realise the extra layer the sub adds in the low frequency. As mentioned i would have thought more music would have been present, i guess it just adds a subtle layer and that is part of the integration with the rest of the speakers.
I did think about the PB-12 but i though i would enjoy the SB a little more. I had nothing to really base this on, maybe just the instore listening of sealed to ported subs. You hear nothing but great reviews on the PB-12 though, like pretty much all of the SVS range.

Beta firmware 50.23 fixed the dsp issue. With beta 50.24, I think they fixed both the dsp and 192/24 issue.

Enjoy your new setup. I'm sure it sounds great:)
Old 07-15-2012, 03:58 PM

ah that makes sense, i remember seeing something about that. Yeah it does sound awesome. Thank you very much for your help with the settings and recommendations.

Heath
Old 07-15-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ah that makes sense, i remember seeing something about that. Yeah it does sound awesome. Thank you very much for your help with the settings and recommendations.
Heath

You're very welcome. I can't really take the credit for the information contained in my replies. I learned all of this from reading this thread and the helpful replies from other owners.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Quote:

Cheers
Heath

Setting the sub to flat will equalize the sub for flat frequency response. This is only recommended for subs with overload protection and clean low-frequency output.

Setting the cut-off to 80 instead of 60 could cause an anomaly with your system's in-room frequency response.

Here's a quote from the FAQ in the first post:

Q: What is the difference between Crossover and Cutoff as they apply to ARC implementation?

A: Bob Pariseau says "For a main speaker, the Cutoff is the lowest frequency where ARC applies resources for correction. Think of it as the other end of Max EQ Frequency. I'm not sure, but I suspect there's actually at least an octave of slop in there rather than it being a hard stopping point. I.e., application of correction resources sort of rolls-off below that frequency.

The Crossover is where ARC imposes a roll-off -- an attenuation -- of the bass output of a main speaker -- i.e., because the bass is being steered to the subwoofer. The roll-off is 12dB per octave as I recall. That is at half the Crossover frequency the speaker output will be 12dB below the basic volume level of the ARC solution (with possible adjustment for Room Gain).

In the current ARC version, the Cutoff and Crossover for the main speakers are ALWAYS set the same. Which makes sense. If ARC isn't going to correct that speaker very far below the Cutoff frequency, then you want the output of the speaker below that point to be attenuated. Which is just what the Crossover does. So if you alter the Cutoff for a main speaker in the Targets window, you are ALSO altering its Crossover. This will be readily visible in the shape of the new Targets curve.

What about setting as "small 80Hz" instead of "small 60Hz" in bass management menu? ARC sets mine for 60Hz crossover, but after I switched from floorstanders to standmounts (rerun ARC) I've been using "small 80Hz" to relieve some load. It sounds very similar except a little less bass from the fronts.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 AM

Does anybody know when the new firmware will be available for download?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Liked: 15
I re-ran ARC this weekend as i was plying with speaker placement. A couple of weird things happened. First, the Tones generated by ARC on the Surround speakers were noticeably quieter and the levels for those came out at +4 with all others at -2. and now when i turn on the system, I hear a *thump* from the speakers. hadn't had any of this before. All latest Software and beta firmware. Suggestions?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post

What about setting as "small 80Hz" instead of "small 60Hz" in bass management menu? ARC sets mine for 60Hz crossover, but after I switched from floorstanders to standmounts (rerun ARC) I've been using "small 80Hz" to relieve some load. It sounds very similar except a little less bass from the fronts.

Even switching speakers, ARC still set it to 60?

Again, I wouldn't change it if I were you. ARC is very good. Changing it from 60 to 80 could cause an anomaly in that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordt1977 View Post

Send an email to or call Anthem tech support and ask for beta 50.24.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Even switching speakers, ARC still set it to 60?

Again, I wouldn't change it if I were you. ARC is very good. Changing it from 60 to 80 could cause an anomaly in that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordt1977 View Post

Send an email to or call Anthem tech support and ask for beta 50.24.

Yes, even for standmounts, ARC set it at 60Hz. The speaker spec low point is at 41Hz.

I just changed to 80Hz because I crank it up loud more often than not. I do not hear any 'weird' sound except the said less bass.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, even for standmounts, ARC set it at 60Hz. The speaker spec low point is at 41Hz.
I just changed to 80Hz because I crank it up loud more often than not. I do not hear any 'weird' sound except the said less bass.

You're probably getting less bass because ARC would normally correct the bass in the fronts down to 60 rather than your cut off of 80.

When you changed the cutoffs, did you re-calculate and upload?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You're probably getting less bass because ARC would normally correct the bass in the fronts down to 60 rather than your cut off of 80.

When you changed the cutoffs, did you re-calculate and upload?

I did not change the cutoffs while running ARC. I changed it after ARC and in "bass management" menu using the remote. ARC sets it as 60Hz small, I changed to 80Hz small because I feel bass from the sub is enough and want to relieve some load on the fronts.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did not change the cutoffs while running ARC. I changed it after ARC and in "bass management" menu using the remote. ARC sets it as 60Hz small, I changed to 80Hz small because I feel bass from the sub is enough and want to relieve some load on the fronts.

After you ran ARC with the smaller speakers and uploaded the settings, did you go back in ARC, open the ARC file, change the cutoffs, recalculate, and re-upload with the new cutoffs?

I'm not sure if re-calculating will have an impact as I have never changed the cutoffs for my front, left, or centre from ARC's default settings.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

You need to change it in the ARC file. Anthem does not suggest you change things in the menu that ARC has chosen and in fact anywhere as they said you're you are on your own if you do. ARC measures and it is more accurate than the specs of your speakers.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Quote:

You need to change it in the ARC file. Anthem does not suggest you change things in in the menu that ARC has chosen and in fact anywhere as they said you're you are on your own if you do. ARC measures and it is more accurate than the specs of your speakers.
John

Okay, John. Got it and thanks. I will change it back.

But the reason I changed is not because of the speaker spec. ARC sets it to 60Hz so I thought if I set it as 80Hz, I might spare the fronts some load. It seems my thinking wasn't right.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Quote:

You need to change it in the ARC file. Anthem does not suggest you change things in in the menu that ARC has chosen and in fact anywhere as they said you're you are on your own if you do. ARC measures and it is more accurate than the specs of your speakers.
John

Okay, John. Got it and thanks. I will change it back.

But the reason I changed is not because of the speaker spec. ARC sets it to 60Hz so I thought if I set it as 80Hz, I might spare the fronts some load. It seems my thinking wasn't right.

Hi Kzhtoo,
I don't think there is anything wrong with your intention of relieving the LF load from your main speakers. ARC only measures the capabilities at the level of the sweeps, and if you like to run the system really loud, your mains may not be able to cope as well as the sub. But, as John stated, you need to make the changes on the PC running the ARC software, then re-calculate and upload.
I usually run ARC in manual mode, let it do all the default calculations, and then I review how well the correction is being applied. I then try different cutoffs and re-calc at each stage to see if a higher/lower cutoff results in a smoother calculated curve that more closely follows the target. In my case, ARC set my centre at 60Hz, but did not follow the target through the crossover region, but manually changing to 80Hz gave a better calculated result - so that's what got uploaded.
I have also used REW to test the results with an independent microphone, and my measurements agree nicely with the ARC calculations, so I'm happy.
Don't be afraid to experiment, you can always reset to default and reload the ARC suggestions if you don't like the results.

Regards, Mike.

Regards, Mike.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Just heard that someone in the UK has taken delivery of a new MRX300 with Firmware v50.24 pre-installed.
Is v50.24 now an official release?

Regards, Mike.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post

Just heard that someone in the UK has taken delivery of a new MRX300 with Firmware v50.24 pre-installed.
Regards, Mike.

If it was an official release, I would have expected to see it in the download section of Anthem's website. I was only able to get it by contacting Anthem tech support.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 AM

I am looking to buy a new receiver and I want 2channel and SACD/DVD-Audio playback to be the #1 criteria and HT and features secondary. Of course I want the latest codecs, etc and it seems the MRX700 would not be giving much up in that regard to say the Denon 4311 which is my other receiver I am considering. Do you believe the MRX700 would outperform the Denon in music playback?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alour View Post

I am looking to buy a new receiver and I want 2channel and SACD/DVD-Audio playback to be the #1 criteria and HT and features secondary. Of course I want the latest codecs, etc and it seems the MRX700 would not be giving much up in that regard to say the Denon 4311 which is my other receiver I am considering. Do you believe the MRX700 would outperform the Denon in music playback?

The mrx receivers cannot accept a DSD stream so you'll have to have your player convert the SACD stream to multichannel pcm.

I can't comment on the difference between an mrx and the Denon but the increase in sound quality between a Marantz sr7002 and an mrx-500 is quite noticeable
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post

Regards, Mike.

yes it was me. I picked it up yesterday and to my surprise it stated it was v50.24 when i checked system information. Result! Saved an email to Anthem for the beta and what not.

actually, it couldve been another guy too, but im not sure if he posted on AVforums his had v50.24 as well.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 AM

HDMI Pass through. Does the MRX700 allow for users to watch TV through a cable box without the unit being turned on and the main speakers not playing? I have 2 small children and would prefer that they watch TV through the TV speakers and not through the system when I am not present. Can the Anthem do this?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alour View Post

HDMI Pass through. Does the MRX700 allow for users to watch TV through a cable box without the unit being turned on and the main speakers not playing? I have 2 small children and would prefer that they watch TV through the TV speakers and not through the system when I am not present. Can the Anthem do this?

Yes.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Yes.

That is good to hear because the dealer I went to said it could not. He said the receiver had to be on at all times with the speakers on as well unless i ran another HDMI cable straight from the Cable box to the TV. Is it something that is defaulted to all the time once the setting is changed or do you have to manually change it each time you view the TV without speakers and system on? I want it to be seamless for my kids to just turn on the tv and watch through its speakers. I was looking at the manual online and didnt see it. Thanks in advance as this would be a deal breaker for me if it cannot do this.

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems