Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 385 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11521 of 16672 Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglozic View Post

Your graphs look fairly good, but as mentioned before if you have firmware 50.23, the subwoofer and surround channels don't have the correction applied, resulting in doubling of bass and upper bass with your front speakers, as well as poor integration. In addition, check your distances - distances equal time delay and if wrong, can introduce phase issues and partial cancellation of frequences in the crossover region.

After this calibration the sound is much improved. The firmware, i am unaware of the specifics of what it does other than DSP files from what Anthem told me, was uploaded yesterday as well. The bass is different. From what I understand, what I was hearing was the effects of a higher bass level effect as a result of the room and that is what ARC equalized as explained by Anthem yesterday.

The bass I have to increase to +2 for my taste but overall the sound is much much clearer, precise and detailed. Marantz has a smoother mellower sound to my ears compared to the MRX 500. Also, I can definitely hear a difference in its power and how it pushes the klipsch speakers and as a result, I simply cannot go below -30 on this receiver, the set level of -35 already pushes my listening limit for DTSHD/DDHD playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any way to get my hands on the 50.24 beta for my 240v MRX 300? I emailed them but I haven't gotten a reply frown.gif
post #11523 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by busky2k View Post

Is there any way to get my hands on the 50.24 beta for my 240v MRX 300? I emailed them but I haven't gotten a reply frown.gif

Same here. I emailed to tech support but no reply yet. However my system is 2.1 only and sub is PBK'd, so I'm not in a hurry.
post #11524 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busky2k View Post

Add another user not receiving any support.
post #11525 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Call them. They will email you the Link as you talk to them.
post #11526 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I had posted a few times about the intermittent stuttering I was experiencing when watching Directv programming via HDMI through my MRX-500. After reading several responses, I set the MRX to output 1080p, Directv set to output only 1080i and not using the "native" setting.

I still was experiencing the stuttering so now I've decided to set the MRX to "through" and let Directv send the native resolutions. I believe this has solved the problem.

My question for the forum is how many of you are bypassing the upscaling in the MRX and do you feel that I am missing out on a big feature of this product. Personally I'm okay with Directv going "through" the MRX untouched. The other main source component is an Oppo BDP-93 that would also be doing it's own video scaling/conversion and going straight through the MRX. Once again, with the superior video section of the Oppo, do you think I will be fine with letting the signal "pass through" the MRX without processing?

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to convince myself that the main strengths of the MRX to me would be the audio capabilities and video switching, and not the video processing.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #11527 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I had posted a few times about the intermittent stuttering I was experiencing when watching Directv programming via HDMI through my MRX-500. After reading several responses, I set the MRX to output 1080p, Directv set to output only 1080i and not using the "native" setting.
I still was experiencing the stuttering so now I've decided to set the MRX to "through" and let Directv send the native resolutions. I believe this has solved the problem.
My question for the forum is how many of you are bypassing the upscaling in the MRX and do you feel that I am missing out on a big feature of this product. Personally I'm okay with Directv going "through" the MRX untouched. The other main source component is an Oppo BDP-93 that would also be doing it's own video scaling/conversion and going straight through the MRX. Once again, with the superior video section of the Oppo, do you think I will be fine with letting the signal "pass through" the MRX without processing?
Thanks for your help. I'm trying to convince myself that the main strengths of the MRX to me would be the audio capabilities and video switching, and not the video processing.

Thanks for re-asking my exact question from a few days ago. Good luck with getting an answer. I suspect that most of the owners here are more into the audio aspect of the receiver. I read most of the epic sized thread, and the reality is that there are not too many anecdotes about video. It is what it is...
post #11528 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Oppo's upscaling is excellent. No need to have the receiver do anything.

A number of Dish Receivers have issues... such as those you describe. They are known issues and are directly related to the Dish Receiver, not the MRX. Assuming your TV has a good upscaling chipset, then you are most likely not missing out on anything by bypassing the MRX and having your TV handle the upscaling. If your TV's upscaling capability is poor... then having the MRX processes the signal might be desirable.

Are you on the latest 50.24 beta version of firmware? if not , what version are you on? Anthem attempted to put a work around into their firmware that helps sometimes with the Dish Receiver issues, however this is just a work around to help with the issue as the issue is known to be in the Dish Receiver itself, not the MRX. And anything Anthem does will be a band aid in the wrong place frown.gif

Assuming that your TV has a high quality upconverting chipset, then the only thing you are missing out on is the on screen volume disaplay which, for obvious reasons, can not be overlayed on a video signal that the MRX is not processing! So if you are ok with not having the OSD for volume changes, I think you will be very happy leaving the MRX in through mode for your Dish receiver.

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #11529 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeheadEL34 View Post

Thanks for re-asking my exact question from a few days ago. Good luck with getting an answer. I suspect that most of the owners here are more into the audio aspect of the receiver. I read most of the epic sized thread, and the reality is that there are not too many anecdotes about video. It is what it is...

I would say I am into both audio and video in equal parts. I have noticed the issue myself and personally, it drives me crazy. Having a decent scaler in the AVR is a big bonus. So, right now I have an Onkyo 818 which does a much better job at video and my MRX 300 which does a much better job at audio. I have not found a way to completely defeat the stutter beyond setting the AVR to through. As mentioned in my earlier post on this topic, Because both audio and video are equally important to me I am not sure which direction to lean. I will say there is a much larger difference in audio between the two than there is video.

I have a P60st50 plasma and if you use the up-conversion on the MRX and have motion smoothing turned on past low, the stutter is much worse.
post #11530 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I use auto with my digital box and everything works fine. Of course we know digital boxes have a reputation of being HDMI challenged. If through doesn't bother you then use it as you'll be missing nothing.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #11531 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I just use through. Most of what I watch is through my blu-ray. So everything is upconverted with it. I had a DVR but I moved it to the new TV for my g/f.
post #11532 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to everyone for the great replies. I now feel better about my choice to use the "through" setting on the MRX. I do miss the OSD as Tigger pointed out, but I can live with that one. It is weird to see the screen switch to 1080p whenever I invoke the MRX's setup menu, but I understand why that is necessary. Fortunately I don't need to mess with the setup menu too much these days.

The Oppo is getting hooked up this weekend, and then full calibration is coming in October. I'm pretty sure I'll be very happy with using the Oppo's video processing! I currently have the Panny 220 for my BD/3D BP and it looks more than acceptable on the "through" setting.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #11533 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkowalski1970 View Post

How much difference did you notice with and without? Was clarity and detail there without the amp? I dont listen at high levels either, all I know is the Onkyo really brightened my speakers to a fault. The 990 was pretty mellow with music and I really liked it. I heard a mx300 on focal 817's today and it sounded good considering the 817's dont have the drivers the 836 does, so i am assuming it would have sounded better on my 836's.The Anthem dealer here told me the MX500 would be enough and not to jump to the MX700..He said it would be a great pre/pro if I needed more power for a bigger room in the future.
Would you buy it again? Do you prefer it over the 990/7700 combo?

Sorry it took so long to reply . . . very busy with work.

How much difference with and without? - I didn't notice much at all.
Clarity and detail without the amp - Yes
Would you buy it again - Yes, unless I got a good deal on a D2V smile.gif
Do I prefer it over the 990/7700 combo - Yes ARC makes a noticeable difference even with acoustical treatment
post #11534 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_in_keller View Post

Sorry it took so long to reply . . . very busy with work.
How much difference with and without? - I didn't notice much at all.
Clarity and detail without the amp - Yes
Would you buy it again - Yes, unless I got a good deal on a D2V smile.gif
Do I prefer it over the 990/7700 combo - Yes ARC makes a noticeable difference even with acoustical treatment

Hey Larry...we may practically be neighbors! I'm in Flower Mound.

My current SACD list
post #11535 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone just post the link they got. It is just an FTP site, no big secret. I can not seem to get anybody on the phone lately

If I agree with you then we will both be wrong
post #11536 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 PM

Liked: 11
hey guys i was just reading over some of the FAQ and early posts and one thing i was wondering is my sub has buit in EQ (SVS SB-13) that is adjustmed manually. My room seemed pretty bad when doing the quick measure and so i was wondering whether i could/should use the quick measure to tweak the sub EQ and see if that will help a little and then run ARC.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Cheers
Heath
post #11537 of 16672 Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouiff View Post

hey guys i was just reading over some of the FAQ and early posts and one thing i was wondering is my sub has buit in EQ (SVS SB-13) that is adjustmed manually. My room seemed pretty bad when doing the quick measure and so i was wondering whether i could/should use the quick measure to tweak the sub EQ and see if that will help a little and then run ARC.
Any ideas or suggestions on this would be appreciated.
Cheers
Heath

Use quick measure to get the best location. Then run ARC with no eq. on the sub. If the final solution doesn't look great you can eq. your sub and then run ARC after that.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #11538 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Call them. They will email you the Link as you talk to them.
Might be a bit difficult seeing as I reside across the pacific(Australia)
post #11539 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmrx700 View Post

Might be a bit difficult seeing as I reside across the pacific(Australia)

Beta v50.25 released today.

Zone 2 power-on volume was -10 dB if its menu setting was higher than -10 - fixed.  If no problems are reported in beta testing this will be a production release.

John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #11540 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

post #11541 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Hey Larry...we may practically be neighbors! I'm in Flower Mound.

We sure are . . . currently living in Roanoke. I pass through Flower Mound quite often.
post #11542 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Beta v50.25 released today.
Zone 2 power-on volume was -10 dB if its menu setting was higher than -10 - fixed.  If no problems are reported in beta testing this will be a production release.
John

I'm really surprised that Anthem allowed a huge bug like this to linger on for weeks. ARC is what sets Anthem apart from the others and anything that blemishes that should be addressed in a much faster manner in my opinion.

Alex
post #11543 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

I'm really surprised that Anthem allowed a huge bug like this to linger on for weeks. ARC is what sets Anthem apart from the others and anything that blemishes that should be addressed in a much faster manner in my opinion.

That's not an ARC issue just a zone 2 one. The previous ARC issue was fixed in a very timely manner.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #11544 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 PM

Is it necessary to rerun ARC after firmware v50.24 update?

I can hear slightly tighter bass now. All this time I didn't notice I wasn't having any sub correction. But I do have PBK for my sub though.
post #11545 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post

Is it necessary to rerun ARC after firmware v50.24 update?
I can hear slightly tighter bass now. All this time I didn't notice I wasn't having any sub correction. But I do have PBK for my sub though.

No need to to do anything after 50.24 upload.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #11546 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Thank you, John.
post #11547 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

That's not an ARC issue just a zone 2 one. The previous ARC issue was fixed in a very timely manner.
John

The official release on the Anthem website is 50.23. This release has a major ARC bug in it. Yes, you can email support to get a fix, but unless you are reading here, you wouldn't know about it.

Alex
post #11548 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:

The official release on the Anthem website is 50.23. This release has a major ARC bug in it. Yes, you can email support to get a fix, but unless you are reading here, you wouldn't know about it.
Do not hold your breath waiting for a reply from Anthem support.
post #11549 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dealers are often emailed about firmware upgrades so customers who have issues can get the beta firmware.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #11550 of 16672 Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmrx700 View Post

Do not hold your breath waiting for a reply from Anthem support.

The best way to contact Anthem is to use the email below,

tech@anthemav.com
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page