Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 16672 Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i need help and hope someone has the solution to my issue..have the mrx500 with a vt25 tv and a oppo 93 br player..i have not been able to just run one cable from the oppo to the reciever and gotten a 3d br movie to play always had to use 2 hdmi cables which isnt a big issue..second i have my ps3 fat size hooked up to the reciever using hdmi port 1 and the out to the tv...i cant get bolt,despicable me in 3d to play which is od as i have the same setup with my xbox going hdmi to the reciever and out to the tv and i can play black ops in 3d fine..anyone have any ideas or have or had the same issue...i might have to call anthem up but thought to try here first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 16672 Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs View Post

i need help and hope someone has the solution to my issue..have the mrx500 with a vt25 tv and a oppo 93 br player..i have not been able to just run one cable from the oppo to the reciever and gotten a 3d br movie to play always had to use 2 hdmi cables which isnt a big issue..second i have my ps3 fat size hooked up to the reciever using hdmi port 1 and the out to the tv...i cant get bolt,despicable me in 3d to play which is od as i have the same setup with my xbox going hdmi to the reciever and out to the tv and i can play black ops in 3d fine..anyone have any ideas or have or had the same issue...i might have to call anthem up but thought to try here first

I think the 3D firmware for the Anthem is not available yet, which will then make the AVR 3D compatible.

The Xbox COD isn't sending out the same kind of 3D signal that the Oppo and PS3 are...

They both require a 3d compatible "handshake" to know that they are hooked up to a compatible display...

If I'm not mistaken, the Xbox uses a side by side method which requires the user to manually select SBS on their display.
post #1173 of 16672 Old 12-31-2010, 11:36 PM

that is true film but anthem even stated on facebook if u put it into through mode 3d will work on the mrx...clearly is must not if i try direct ps3 to the reciever and the opppo to the reciever to...
post #1174 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork52 View Post

I'm not super techy, but made it through to the START after loading the ARC onto my laptop I took home from work. It has WIN XP. I have all the cables connected correctly but everytime I hit START it will just come back and say:

Measurement failed, can't find a valid Athem Processor.

One question I have........Does the Anthem need to be in a certain "state, input, or setup menu so that ARC will be "seen" by the program??

I was watching TV and that's the last input in was on.

I remember when I first loaded and ran the disk there was an initial question about which product and I selected the receivers.............

You may need to run ARC as Administrator, if you aren't already. I think ARC tries to change some settings on the serial port, and can't do it without Administrator privileges. Your MRX shouldn't need to be in any particular state/menu for ARC to work. Though, I'd stick with just turning it on and not going into any menus, to be safe. The question about what product you are using is just so it copies the correct owner's manual to the disk.
post #1175 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by favorini View Post

You may need to run ARC as Administrator, if you aren't already. I think ARC tries to change some settings on the serial port, and can't do it without Administrator privileges. Your MRX shouldn't need to be in any particular state/menu for ARC to work. Though, I'd stick with just turning it on and not going into any menus, to be safe. The question about what product you are using is just so it copies the correct owner's manual to the disk.

Thanks for your reply. It's embarassing that everything is so techy now and I"m way behind the curve.

How can I change ARC to Administrator on my work laptop? Is that something my IS guy would have to do for me?
post #1176 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. It's embarassing that everything is so techy now and I"m way behind the curve.

I feel your pain - I do not understand so much on this very helpful forum and hate been dependant on others to do the work for me
post #1177 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:

How can I change ARC to Administrator on my work laptop? Is that something my IS guy would have to do for me?

Yeah, for a work laptop, that may be the case. You can try the following: while holding down the Shift key, right-click on the ARC icon. Select the "Run as Administrator" choice from the context menu. You'll need to know the Administrator password, however. Your own account may already have admin privs (if you can install software, it probably does), so this may not be the issue. Check that your serial cable is connected securely at both ends, and make sure you have the proper driver installed if you are using a USB to serial adapter.

You can also try setting the serial port parameters yourself. Right-click My Computer and select Manage. In the left-hand pane, select Device Manager. In the right-hand pane, expand "Ports (COM & LPT)" by click the + next to it. You should see your COM (i.e., serial) ports. Double-click the port you have connected to your MRX and select the Port Settings tab. Set the following.

Bits per sec: 115200
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 2
Flow control: None

You also need to make sure the COM port you are using is between COM1 and COM6 (COM7 and higher won't work). If you need to change this, you'll probably have to click on the Advanced button and change a setting in there (varies by adapter).
post #1178 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 AM

anyone have any other info on my issue
post #1179 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Hi,

Currently using Onkyo 5507, NHT P5, Emotiva UPA2 and Klipsch speakers. Would there be any improvements if I switch to MRX700 (selling the 5507 and P5) please?
post #1180 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklpoon View Post

Hi,

Currently using Onkyo 5507, NHT P5, Emotiva UPA2 and Klipsch speakers. Would there be any improvements if I switch to MRX700 (selling the 5507 and P5) please?

the improvement with any of the MRXs is Anthem's Room Correction and the amps. This could negate the need for an external amp depending on your room and speakers. ARC is the "golden egg" here.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1181 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hey John,
This problem with my Ethernet issue is worse than I thought. Somehow when I upgraded to the new multimedia software via the USB port it wiped out all my multimedia sections in the AVR. When I ck my firmware version under the MM section it is blank it just says V without a #. Anthem is aware of it but I have a feeling they will not be able to fix this via software?
post #1182 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
is anyone using the serial connection for remote control? since the ir or serial codes are not available in the URC ccp database, i simply learned the commands for now into my mx-980.

what im most interested in (and hopefully serial control will do this), is when you choose the channel button on the oem remote you can change settings on the fly that are wiped out when you turn off the avr. i like this feature as sometimes i like to increase bass level for a specific movie but don't want to go into the setup menu and make the change and then have to change it back when the movie is finished. however my problem lies in that you can only see these "channels" on the avr screen but not on your display. since my equipment is located in another room, it negates the purpose of this rather cool button. so is it possible to have this displayed on the tv itself like the volume overlay does?

post #1183 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hey John,
This problem with my Ethernet issue is worse than I thought. Somehow when I upgraded to the new multimedia software via the USB port it wiped out all my multimedia sections in the AVR. When I ck my firmware version under the MM section it is blank it just says V without a #. Anthem is aware of it but I have a feeling they will not be able to fix this via software?

Have you tried reinstalling the latest Main firmware v.50.02 and then doing the same with the MM firmware?
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1184 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Have you tried reinstalling the latest Main firmware v.50.02 and then doing the same with the MM firmware?
John

I thought about that, but the tech at Anthem told me they are not the same thing. I think you may have a point.
I am going to try that.
post #1185 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

John

Nope no MM showing all screens are blank.
post #1186 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Nope no MM showing all screens are blank.

Unplug it from the wall and let it stand for a 10 minutes. Then plug back in (cold reboot) and see what happens. Otherwise, I am stumped with this one.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1187 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 02:40 PM
ASU

Picked up my MRX-500 yesterday. Ran ARC and got the following charts. Was wondering about the crossovers it chose. I am running paradigm SE3's and SE center for the front three, Atoms for surrounds, Titans for front heights, and an MFW-15 for the sub. Was wondering if the 60 hz crossover for the center and heights might be low. It also set the sub to 80 which seems low compared to most of the other targets I have seen people post. Should these be changed or should I leave them where Anthem has set them?
LL
LL
LL
post #1188 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Yeah, for a work laptop, that may be the case. You can try the following: while holding down the Shift key, right-click on the ARC icon. Select the "Run as Administrator" choice from the context menu. You'll need to know the Administrator password, however. Your own account may already have admin privs (if you can install software, it probably does), so this may not be the issue. Check that your serial cable is connected securely at both ends, and make sure you have the proper driver installed if you are using a USB to serial adapter.

You can also try setting the serial port parameters yourself. Right-click My Computer and select Manage. In the left-hand pane, select Device Manager. In the right-hand pane, expand "Ports (COM & LPT)" by click the + next to it. You should see your COM (i.e., serial) ports. Double-click the port you have connected to your MRX and select the Port Settings tab. Set the following.

You also need to make sure the COM port you are using is between COM1 and COM6 (COM7 and higher won't work). If you need to change this, you'll probably have to click on the Advanced button and change a setting in there (varies by adapter).

Thanks for your input, I"ll give this a try. I appreciate your help.
post #1189 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU View Post

Picked up my MRX-500 yesterday. Ran ARC and got the following charts. Was wondering about the crossovers it chose. I am running paradigm SE3's and SE center for the front three, Atoms for surrounds, Titans for front heights, and an MFW-15 for the sub. Was wondering if the 60 hz crossover for the center and heights might be low. It also set the sub to 80 which seems low compared to most of the other targets I have seen people post. Should these be changed or should I leave them where Anthem has set them?

Your charts look very good but considering the measurements, I'm not surprised. I would suggest that you make sure the high freq. cutoff on your sub is set to it's highest freq. also move your sub around to increase the dB level in the 100 Hz region. The measurement shows a drop in output below this freq. then post this result. You can test positions using the Quick measure option in the ARC Tools menu. But remember after doing quick measure, either do a new measurement if you like what you see and upload it or upload your last measurement, since quick measure wipes out some of ARc's settings.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1190 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Are any of the remote codes for the MRX the same as the IR codes for the AVM50v/D2 models? If not, Is there any way to get the codes as I would like to setup the receiver using the iRule remote software?

Thanks
post #1191 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
ASU

Quote:

Your charts look very good but considering the measurements, I'm not surprised. I would suggest that you make sure the high freq. cutoff on your sub is set to it's highest freq. also move your sub around to increase the dB level in the 100 Hz region. The measurement shows a drop in output below this freq. then post this result. You can test positions using the Quick measure option in the ARC Tools menu. But remember after doing quick measure, either do a new measurement if you like what you see and upload it or upload your last measurement, since quick measure wipes out some of ARc's settings.
John

Thanks for the info John. Re-checked the sub cutoff and it is at its highest. Cant change the sub position though, only possible spot in the living room to put it. Was thinking of adding a second sub to help even out the response , so this might be the perfect reason to add one now!
post #1192 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU View Post

Thanks for the info John. Re-checked the sub cutoff and it is at its highest. Cant change the sub position though, only possible spot in the living room to put it. Was thinking of adding a second sub to help even out the response , so this might be the perfect reason to add one now!

If your going to get another sub, presumably there is another spot for a sub. If so, try your present one in that other spot and see what you get. You may not need one. I had a similar dilemma but I tried another spot and it was perfect.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1193 of 16672 Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Hey Favorini,

I did all of the above and had to load the driver for the USB adapter and I got ARC to work.

It's late and I watched both Transformer movies but I only seem to be getting the front 3 channels.

Display says Dolby Dig 3/2. It "sounds" like I'm getting some sound from the back speakers but when I put my ear up to them they are silent. I don't know if that's a credit to ARC or what because the front 3 seem to fill the room.............

When I first tried to run ARC, it erred out. I only have a 5.1 system.

In the ARC program, I deselected rears and ran surrounds..............I think I might have goofed??

The macros didn't seem to want to let me just choose rears?? I had a few hiccups with ARC. I had to reseat cables and restart right from the ARC Icon to make it work. Connections are super sensitive.

I've got to look at the manual and maybe try again tomorrow. Good thing I got the store demo to practice on.
post #1194 of 16672 Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Hey Favorini,

I did all of the above and had to load the driver for the USB adapter and I got ARC to work.
Cool. Feel free to post your charts and Targets window to get more feedback.

Quote:
Display says Dolby Dig 3/2. It "sounds" like I'm getting some sound from the back speakers but when I put my ear up to them they are silent. I don't know if that's a credit to ARC or what because the front 3 seem to fill the room.............

When I first tried to run ARC, it erred out. I only have a 5.1 system.

In the ARC program, I deselected rears and ran surrounds..............I think I might have goofed??

The macros didn't seem to want to let me just choose rears??
Even if your speakers are behind your listening position, you want to connect them to the "Surround" speaker inputs on the MRX, since you have a 5.1 setup. Per section 3.2 in the manual, make sure Setup > Speaker Configuration > Aux Output is set to Zone 2.
post #1195 of 16672 Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 947
In case you missed it what with the holidays, Anthem has now put out their press release announcing the MRX receivers are shipping. It is typical for them to hold off on such press releases until after dealer delivery is well in hand. Here it is on the site of the firm they use for such PR stuff:

http://www.castercomm.com/prView.cfm?cid=111&id=508

In contrast to the receivers, the release uses the term "Anthem Reference" for the AV processors (AVM 50v and D2v at the moment). I think this is the first time I've seen that. I don't see that term used on their web site yet.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1196 of 16672 Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

Does anyone have any updates on the progress of the MRX-900?

MRX 900 has been indefinitely put on hold because AVRs costing $4500 (realistic MRX 900 MSRP) and up don't sell well.

For this price and performance category consider the long-term cost of a string of king-of-the-hill AVRs (any brand). In my opinion it's always been too high to get into the game. Separates may not be as expensive as they seem at first because the power amp can be kept through many prepro generations.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #1197 of 16672 Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Nick, does that mean there now WILL be a successor to the AVM 50v as a separate?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1198 of 16672 Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Even if your speakers are behind your listening position, you want to connect them to the "Surround" speaker inputs on the MRX, since you have a 5.1 setup. Per section 3.2 in the manual, make sure Setup > Speaker Configuration > Aux Output is set to Zone 2.

Favorini,

I had the speakers connected correctly as far as sound output. Surrounds which are actually my sides in my LR set up due to constraints.

The AUX output was wrong so I switched to Zone 2.

But STILL I had no sound out of the rears.............

So I got into BDP source output and Set Dolby Digital 5.1 to NONE and I got sound out of the Rear speakers???????? WTF??

I'm puzzled how you would DESELCT any choice for DD 5.1 to NONE and now get sound out of the rears???!!! Nevertheless, I'm relieved.

Can you or anyone tell me what all the settings are supposed to be for BDP for a 5.1 system? I've got Dolby Vs. Wide selected and other stuff.

Frankly as a "old timer" I like the on board stuff where you just got out the old SPL meter and bing.............done. It would have been nice if the manual was twice as thick showing example screens for setups but I hate reading manuals..................

I've had Lexicon, B+K, McIntosh, etc.

I'm "pleased" that I've run ARC with YOUR help for my computer settings which I never would have figured out (thank GOD) for this forum and people like you willing to help the novice.........Then the same device manager told me the adapter wasn't configured right so I used the install disc to do that. The manual did vaguely state something about this.

You guys might be laughing but this is BIG for the "Caveman" here!

My laptop when into sleep mode (during upload) after I completed for first 2 parts of ARC and I "woke up" the laptop, logged in again and it finished uploading! I couldn't believe that.

YET, on further tries running ARC, I had one "couldn't find mike" and one "couldn't initiate audio wave sweep" error. So this set up can be finnicky when you factor in ME, the computer, and cables/connections and adapters.

I'm still a novice with this receiver but quite pleased with it. I chose this over the Marantz SR-7005 watching this thread.

I feel now that I could actually help someone else with Anthem/ARC, but not to the knowledge level of you guys for sure.

I'm glad I went through all this pain before I get mine this week.

I was thinking about getting a dedicated amp for the 2 fronts (Triangle Celius) but might wait as this set up sounds pretty good.I was thinking SS or a tube amp with HT bypass but just don't want to believe a tube amp could do Home Theater. I've been reading and hearing about the Prima Luna Dialogue II.....................Also thought maybe if I found an Anthem Statement P2 used/like brand new, or something like that.

I "guess" I could also bi-amp ( never done this either ) the fronts with the 2 xtra channels.

I don't have a reference CD player, or for that matter I don't even have a true CD player at all at this moment. I use my Tosh HD XA1 and connected the analogs out the AUX analog input.

I'm the kind of guy who would still like a "quality" 5 disc carousel put five favorite CD's in and lay down on the couch. I know everyone uses laptops and downloads, etc. now.

I'm from a time when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

If you or anyone could tell me what the settings should be for BDP / 5.1 system please post. I'm confused by the DD vs. Wide, Last used, reference stuff.

Thanks again to all who have helped.
post #1199 of 16672 Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Favorini,

I had the speakers connected correctly as far as sound output. Surrounds which are actually my sides in my LR set up due to constraints.

So I got into BDP source output and Set Dolby Digital 5.1 to NONE and I got sound out of the Rear speakers???????? WTF??

I'm puzzled how you would DESELCT any choice for DD 5.1 to NONE and now get sound out of the rears???!!! Nevertheless, I'm relieved.

Can you or anyone tell me what all the settings are supposed to be for BDP for a 5.1 system? I've got Dolby Vs. Wide selected and other stuff.

Frankly as a "old timer" I like the on board stuff where you just got out the old SPL meter and bing.............done. It would have been nice if the manual was twice as thick showing example screens for setups but I hate reading manuals..................

I'm "pleased" that I've run ARC with YOUR help for my computer settings which I never would have figured out (thank GOD) for this forum and people like you willing to help the novice.........Then the same device manager told me the adapter wasn't configured right so I used the install disc to do that. The manual did vaguely state something about this.

My laptop when into sleep mode (during upload) after I completed for first 2 parts of ARC and I "woke up" the laptop, logged in again and it finished uploading! I couldn't believe that.

YET, on further tries running ARC, I had one "couldn't find mike" and one "couldn't initiate audio wave sweep" error. So this set up can be finnicky when you factor in ME, the computer, and cables/connections and adapters.

I'm still a novice with this receiver but quite pleased with it. I chose this over the Marantz SR-7005 watching this thread.

I feel now that I could actually help someone else with Anthem/ARC, but not to the knowledge level of you guys for sure.

I was thinking about getting a dedicated amp for the 2 fronts (Triangle Celius) but might wait as this set up sounds pretty good.I was thinking SS or a tube amp with HT bypass but just don't want to believe a tube amp could do Home Theater. I've been reading and hearing about the Prima Luna Dialogue II.....................Also thought maybe if I found an Anthem Statement P2 used/like brand new, or something like that.

I "guess" I could also bi-amp ( never done this either ) the fronts with the 2 xtra channels.

I don't have a reference CD player, or for that matter I don't even have a true CD player at all at this moment. I use my Tosh HD XA1 and connected the analogs out the AUX analog input.

I'm the kind of guy who would still like a "quality" 5 disc carousel put five favorite CD's in and lay down on the couch. I know everyone uses laptops and downloads, etc. now.

If you or anyone could tell me what the settings should be for BDP / 5.1 system please post. I'm confused by the DD vs. Wide, Last used, reference stuff.

None means that it is not trying to expand the sound for 7.1 channels. It is sending the 5.1 channels of sound to the speakers. With a 5.1 system you have surrounds and not rears. the surrounds should be at your side but often because of room and furniture constraints they are placed behind the listening position.

I'm surprised your laptop went into a sleep mode while it was actively running a program.
post #1200 of 16672 Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Favorini,

Also can you tell me if you have to SAVE settings, or will the receiver always defualt back to the last settings entered?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page