Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 403 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12061 of 16587 Old 08-29-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Another question for the experts, or at least those with more cockpit time on the Anthem MRX-X00's...

In order to simplify my life with my Oppo BDP-93 when listening to two-channel CD's I did the following:

My original configuration was Oppo to Input 1 (BDP) as a normal BDP player with HDMI input for both video and audio. This was not a change and I love the Oppo for movies and multi-channel i.e. SACD music like this.

I set up an additional input for the same Oppo via Analog to Input 2 (CD). Video input was the same HDMI while audio was via the LF and RF RCA jacks from the Oppo.

Now for my observation. If I switch from input 1 (BDP) to input 2 (CD) on the fly while listening to an SACD and then later switch back, I am no longer getting 5.1 audio when returning to input 1. I have to manually go into the quick setup menu and reselect 5 speakers as my setup. Following that I get my 5.1 audio back. I appear to be confusing the switching in the Anthem somehow and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I thought I had found a nice way to be able to enjoy 2 channel stereo from my Oppo without having to run through the Anthem setup menu every time, but maybe that just isn't possible.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 16587 Old 08-29-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

What experience do you have with Audyssey XT32? Probably the same as I do with ARC..
I've owned Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer. I had Audyssey in my Denon and many of my friends own Denon. My brothers both had Denons and now they own Anthems. So I have a lot of experience with it and prefer ARC and the better build quality. This a thread to help users so argue with someone else.

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12063 of 16587 Old 08-29-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

This a thread to help users so argue with someone else.

I agree.
post #12064 of 16587 Old 08-29-2012, 04:53 PM

I would think you could do that as well. Thanks for saving me the time to do this myself.
post #12065 of 16587 Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
XT isn't XT32.. its pretty close to ARC.
post #12066 of 16587 Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Another question for the experts, or at least those with more cockpit time on the Anthem MRX-X00's...
In order to simplify my life with my Oppo BDP-93 when listening to two-channel CD's I did the following:
My original configuration was Oppo to Input 1 (BDP) as a normal BDP player with HDMI input for both video and audio. This was not a change and I love the Oppo for movies and multi-channel i.e. SACD music like this.
I set up an additional input for the same Oppo via Analog to Input 2 (CD). Video input was the same HDMI while audio was via the LF and RF RCA jacks from the Oppo.
Now for my observation. If I switch from input 1 (BDP) to input 2 (CD) on the fly while listening to an SACD and then later switch back, I am no longer getting 5.1 audio when returning to input 1. I have to manually go into the quick setup menu and reselect 5 speakers as my setup. Following that I get my 5.1 audio back. I appear to be confusing the switching in the Anthem somehow and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
I thought I had found a nice way to be able to enjoy 2 channel stereo from my Oppo without having to run through the Anthem setup menu every time, but maybe that just isn't possible.

I'm not sure why when you switch back you are not in 5.1 any more? However, I think I can recommend a much better way to configure your setup to achieve the goal you currently aiming for...

A single input can actually be directed to two different source! So, get rid of the analog inputs. Configure your BDP input exactly as you currently have with HDMI 1 as the input from your Oppo. Set the BDP source to use your Movie Profile (should be the default). Then go to your CD source and configure it to also use HDMI 1 as its input! Configure your CD source to use your Music Profile (should be the default).

Now go to your Listening Mode Presets for your CD source (I'm going to assume your BDP is already set to its defaults) and configure the 2.0 source to "Stereo". You may also review the other source settings such as 2.0 Dolby Digital Surround.

Now if you want to watch Movies, use your BDP source. If you want to listen to Stereo CD's or even SACD's using your Music Profile, go to your CD source. wink.gif

This change will allow you to avoid going from digital to analog in the Oppo, than back to Digital in the MRX for ARC to process the signal and finally back to Analog for the MRX's Amp... Instead, now you will go Digital to Digital to Analog. This will also give you the flexibility of listening to your SACD's, Audio DVD's with all channels but using either your Movie Profile (BDP source) or your Music Profile (CD source).

Hope that helps!

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technical Information including using ARC:
post #12067 of 16587 Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

I'm not sure why when you switch back you are not in 5.1 any more? However, I think I can recommend a much better way to configure your setup to achieve the goal you currently aiming for...
A single input can actually be directed to two different source! So, get rid of the analog inputs. Configure your BDP input exactly as you currently have with HDMI 1 as the input from your Oppo. Set the BDP source to use your Movie Profile (should be the default). Then go to your CD source and configure it to also use HDMI 1 as its input! Configure your CD source to use your Music Profile (should be the default).
Now go to your Listening Mode Presets for your CD source (I'm going to assume your BDP is already set to its defaults) and configure the 2.0 source to "Stereo". You may also review the other source settings such as 2.0 Dolby Digital Surround.
Now if you want to watch Movies, use your BDP source. If you want to listen to Stereo CD's or even SACD's using your Music Profile, go to your CD source. wink.gif
This change will allow you to avoid going from digital to analog in the Oppo, than back to Digital in the MRX for ARC to process the signal and finally back to Analog for the MRX's Amp... Instead, now you will go Digital to Digital to Analog. This will also give you the flexibility of listening to your SACD's, Audio DVD's with all channels but using either your Movie Profile (BDP source) or your Music Profile (CD source).
Hope that helps!

This made my head spin just a little bit. I'll need to read it a couple of times and hopefully it will come together for my simple brain. You may be on to something. I thought I was already! Don't understand why my solution didn't work as expected.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

post #12068 of 16587 Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This made my head spin just a little bit. I'll need to read it a couple of times and hopefully it will come together for my simple brain. You may be on to something. I thought I was already! Don't understand why my solution didn't work as expected.

Not sure why your solution seems to behave as it does... and your idea is not a unique one... however it causes you to do a lot of extra Analog to Digital (AD) and Digital to Analog (DA) conversions that you don't need to do... with each conversion of course a place for sound degradation, not to mention any sound degradation that could occure on route along the analog path from your Oppo to the MRX.

So Basically you want to setup your BDP Source exactly the way it is now... nothing to do here wink.gif
Then configure your CD Souce to use HDMI 1 as its input, the same as your BDP source is setup!

Now you have two sources that you can custom configure but that both use HDMI 1! (think of this in the old analog world as if you had a Y connector coming out of the analog outputs of your old CD player and directed one half of the Y to your old Receivers Tape in put and the other to your CD input. Only we are doing this digitaly inside the MRX! (Hope that makes sense and is not making things more confusing).

The second half of the plan is to configure your Listening Mode Setup for your CD source to not apply any special surround sound algorithms when the MRX receives a stereo (2.0) audio source. By default, Anthem usually applies either Anthem Cinema or Anthem Music virtual suround sound algorithms to stereo sources it receives. But you want to hear your stereo material in true stereo, so we simply configure the Listening mode Setup for your CD source to treat Stereo audio directly as a stereo signal and not add any virtual surround sound affects.

The last thing to consider, if you have creted two different Profiles (Music/Movie) you can set each source (BDP/CD) to use the Profile you feel best suits the music you are listening to on that source. wink.gif

Clear as mud? biggrin.gif

post #12069 of 16587 Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure why your solution seems to behave as it does... and your idea is not a unique one... however it causes you to do a lot of extra Analog to Digital (AD) and Digital to Analog (DA) conversions that you don't need to do... with each conversion of course a place for sound degradation, not to mention any sound degradation that could occure on route along the analog path from your Oppo to the MRX.
So Basically you want to setup your BDP Source exactly the way it is now... nothing to do here wink.gif
Then configure your CD Souce to use HDMI 1 as its input, the same as your BDP source is setup!
Now you have two sources that you can custom configure but that both use HDMI 1! (think of this in the old analog world as if you had a Y connector coming out of the analog outputs of your old CD player and directed one half of the Y to your old Receivers Tape in put and the other to your CD input. Only we are doing this digitaly inside the MRX! (Hope that makes sense and is not making things more confusing).
The second half of the plan is to configure your Listening Mode Setup for your CD source to not apply any special surround sound algorithms when the MRX receives a stereo (2.0) audio source. By default, Anthem usually applies either Anthem Cinema or Anthem Music virtual suround sound algorithms to stereo sources it receives. But you want to hear your stereo material in true stereo, so we simply configure the Listening mode Setup for your CD source to treat Stereo audio directly as a stereo signal and not add any virtual surround sound affects.
The last thing to consider, if you have creted two different Profiles (Music/Movie) you can set each source (BDP/CD) to use the Profile you feel best suits the music you are listening to on that source. wink.gif
Clear as mud? biggrin.gif

Thanks Tigger. I was being just a little bit fecicious as I already was using HDMI 1 as the input for video for both the BDP and CD inputs...so I knew this was possible. Where I got wrapped around the axle was in playing with the Oppo's analog output configuration thinking it would be best to use the analog out from the Oppo to an analog in on the MRX to get my cleanest sound...wasn't really thinking about the extra processing I was introducing into the chain.

I am now set up as you recommended. I guess I keep flashing back to my analog roots...turntable to tube amp to speakers...but that just isn't the world I live in anymore. There is digital processing happening in my setup and I just need to do it once!

I do need to keep my Analog connection from the Oppo's FL and FR outputs for my Zone 2 (patio). That of course works fine with this setup as well.

post #12070 of 16587 Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Tigger. I was being just a little bit fecicious as I already was using HDMI 1 as the input for video for both the BDP and CD inputs...so I knew this was possible. Where I got wrapped around the axle was in playing with the Oppo's analog output configuration thinking it would be best to use the analog out from the Oppo to an analog in on the MRX to get my cleanest sound...wasn't really thinking about the extra processing I was introducing into the chain.
I am now set up as you recommended. I guess I keep flashing back to my analog roots...turntable to tube amp to speakers...but that just isn't the world I live in anymore. There is digital processing happening in my setup and I just need to do it once!
I do need to keep my Analog connection from the Oppo's FL and FR outputs for my Zone 2 (patio). That of course works fine with this setup as well.

No problem... I made the same leap not that long ago... and yes, you need to keep the analog setup for Zone 2. Which of course is configured under the Advanced Setup for the Source, but clearly you already figured that out as well wink.gif

post #12071 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hope that helps!

Another nugget of helpful info! Thanks, Tigger!
George Fire Eagl likes this.
post #12072 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 AM

Liked: 11
It's funny how I'm not as quick to jump from Anthem to another line, even with all of the problems I've encountered. In the end...it all comes down to audio quality. The latest consideration that I needed to take into account, is that what I really care about is 2 Channel Audio. After all...I'm a music lover first. The whole A/V processing/management is just a bonus on top of having an excellent stereo system for my CD's. Of course Live Performance DVD's have to be factored in as well...so it's really not so much 2 Channel Audio...though it still could be.
In a quick conversation with my retailer about what he would suggest if I were to get out of the Anthem line...he recommended an NAD T 757 to feed my 31 year old Klipsch Heresy's (a Velodyne HGS-12 handles the low end). Wouldn't you know that there is not a lot of stuff in the web forums about NAD. So hopefully I'll be able to A/B the MRX500 and the T 757 in the store whenever my replacement (the 3rd one) 500 show's up.
post #12073 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

No problem... I made the same leap not that long ago... and yes, you need to keep the analog setup for Zone 2. Which of course is configured under the Advanced Setup for the Source, but clearly you already figured that out as well wink.gif

Quick question, if you run analog from the Oppo to the MRX and turn off arc, then are you just using the Oppo dacs? I have been playing with mine for a few days and I really like the sound of CD's and Pandora through the Oppo to MRX by analog without the ARC on. When I send through HDMI with ARC on, it sounds good, but to my ears the Analog side sounds a bit more full. Im not sure why? Arc seems to make less of a difference for me when in 2 channel Music vs Multichannel. I can say that it is a big difference when playing my Dave Matthews Blu Ray Dolby True with Arc on vs Arc off. Arc on makes it much smoother and much better sounding. So Im a bit confused.....I have been able to a/b it by setting up AUX as the digital side and CD as the analog side.
post #12074 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinolau View Post

It's funny how I'm not as quick to jump from Anthem to another line, even with all of the problems I've encountered. In the end...it all comes down to audio quality. The latest consideration that I needed to take into account, is that what I really care about is 2 Channel Audio. After all...I'm a music lover first. The whole A/V processing/management is just a bonus on top of having an excellent stereo system for my CD's. Of course Live Performance DVD's have to be factored in as well...so it's really not so much 2 Channel Audio...though it still could be.
In a quick conversation with my retailer about what he would suggest if I were to get out of the Anthem line...he recommended an NAD T 757 to feed my 31 year old Klipsch Heresy's (a Velodyne HGS-12 handles the low end). Wouldn't you know that there is not a lot of stuff in the web forums about NAD. So hopefully I'll be able to A/B the MRX500 and the T 757 in the store whenever my replacement (the 3rd one) 500 show's up.

I listened the the NAD 757 with PSB Imagine T2 Towers for 2 channel and it sounded great, the dealer wouldnt let me demo the unit at home and wouldnt even budge on the $1600 price. He wanted me to bring my Focals to him, which I thought was stupid. Keep in mind it has a basic Audysey, not even XT from what I was told, but uses an NAD curve and not the Audyssey curve. Ofcourse thats what i was told and do not know for sure.
post #12075 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkowalski1970 View Post

I listened the the NAD 757 with PSB Imagine T2 Towers for 2 channel and it sounded great, the dealer wouldnt let me demo the unit at home and wouldnt even budge on the $1600 price. He wanted me to bring my Focals to him, which I thought was stupid. Keep in mind it has a basic Audysey, not even XT from what I was told, but uses an NAD curve and not the Audyssey curve. Ofcourse thats what i was told and do not know for sure.

I packed up my old Klipsch klf20's at 100 lb each, a few years back to demo some gear at a higher end shop. My old DENON AVR3300 (which I still have connected in my gym) had no room correction at all, and I always thought it was the best thing since buttered bread. Thinking back...I wasn't entirely floored when I got my 500 all set up and the ARC dialed in, when compared to how the 3300 sounded. I actually settled on the the fact that I had upgraded my receiver to the latest and greatest I could afford. Apparently...the AVR3300 that I had been listening to for 11 years...was still kicking out some quality audio, that was on par with what I had just purchased.
ARC doesn't mean a whole lot when the only receiver it'll work with, causes more aggravation than should be allowed from equipment at that price point. From what I'm reading on the forums...enthusiast seem to be more concerned with what room correction the gear uses, than the actual hardware under the lid.
post #12076 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Listen,I don't care what anyone says on here. You can buy a new anthem,Yamaha,Denon,Pioneer,Marantz and Onkyo,all at the same price point and if you were in a blind listening test,nobody could tell the difference. It all comes down to what those receivers options are. For the Anthem,its the raw power and ARC. With the rest of them,they have their pro's and cons. For a lot of people its brand loyalty. There are certain brands that fall into audiophile territory. Anthem is more in that territory. Most of the guys on here are 60/30 music/movies. Room correction does make a big difference,but some people just don't care. Those are the Yamaha and Pioneer people. I'm not sayin,I'm just sayin.. wink.gif
post #12077 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Listen,I don't care what anyone says on here. You can buy a new anthem,Yamaha,Denon,Pioneer,Marantz and Onkyo,all at the same price point and if you were in a blind listening test,nobody could tell the difference. It all comes down to what those receivers options are. For the Anthem,its the raw power and ARC. With the rest of them,they have their pro's and cons. For a lot of people its brand loyalty. There are certain brands that fall into audiophile territory. Anthem is more in that territory. Most of the guys on here are 60/30 music/movies. Room correction does make a big difference,but some people just don't care. Those are the Yamaha and Pioneer people. I'm not sayin,I'm just sayin.. wink.gif

Yet another forum post without any information what so ever regarding NAD equipment... frown.gif
post #12078 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry. My buddy had NAD and switched to Integra separates. He likes the Integra better. He did have NAD separates.. NAD receivers are pretty stripped down also. If you want any kind of room correction,NAD isn't the receiver you want.
post #12079 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Have you done it? Have you actually a/b them in your room and with your speakers. Because I disagree. I have heard three very different sound qualities between The three I tested. If they all sounded the same there would not be so many choices.
post #12080 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

They don't all sound the same,but you wouldn't know which was which if you couldn't see them. Wouldn't if be funny if you thought a Yamaha 2010 sounded better than the Anthem 500? Some people are just close minded. Its very difficult to get a good read on a receiver in a store ,everyone knows this. If you have a 10 yr old receiver and you run out and get a new one,usually your gonna hear an improvement. But if you have an Onkyo 3009 and go to an Anthem,I seriously doubt your going to be blown away..
post #12081 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

They don't all sound the same,but you wouldn't know which was which if you couldn't see them. Wouldn't if be funny if you thought a Yamaha 2010 sounded better than the Anthem 500? Some people are just close minded. Its very difficult to get a good read on a receiver in a store ,everyone knows this. If you have a 10 yr old receiver and you run out and get a new one,usually your gonna hear an improvement. But if you have an Onkyo 3009 and go to an Anthem,I seriously doubt your going to be blown away..
LowTech you make some interesting assertions about people and equipment. Thanks for providing me with some humour the past couple of evenings.
post #12082 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:

You are right, if I was blind tested I wouldnt have known which was which while I was testing, but I would know that the sound that i liked still would have come from the same unit. I have never owned anything Anthem in the past, but now am a proud owner. Also, I did test all three in my own home with my own speakers.
post #12083 of 16587 Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkowalski1970 View Post

You are right, if I was blind tested I wouldnt have known which was which while I was testing, but I would know that the sound that i liked still would have come from the same unit. I have never owned anything Anthem in the past, but now am a proud owner. Also, I did test all three in my own home with my own speakers.

Even when you tell him you did test them, which he hasn't done himself, he'll tell you that you didn't hear any difference. I'm glad he's here to straighten us out:rolleyes:
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12084 of 16587 Old 08-31-2012, 04:31 PM

yup eye rolls for sure

i did the blind test with studio 60s all on the same song. Denon 4311, Marantz top line pre pro combo, yamaha rxa2000, anthem mrx 700. Lets just say it wasnt even close and I now own an anthem mrx 700
post #12085 of 16587 Old 08-31-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Spyder View Post

yup eye rolls for sure
i did the blind test with studio 60s all on the same song. Denon 4311, Marantz top line pre pro combo, yamaha rxa2000, anthem mrx 700. Lets just say it wasnt even close and I now own an anthem mrx 700

This is "music" to my Anthem ears smile.gif

post #12086 of 16587 Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yup eye rolls for sure
Some people seem to get very angry that we prefer what we have. I've experienced many diff units before my dealer got me onto Anthem and that was my D2v which has sound that is simply amazing so when it came to getting a receiver it was an easy choice. I too tested my 500 with a Denon 4310 and to our ears, the 500 sounded better. If people don't want to own an Anthem, that's fine but when posters come here to bash our products who have never experienced or owned an Anthem, we should actually ignore them and that goes for me;)
John
George Fire Eagl likes this.

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12087 of 16587 Old 08-31-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yup eye rolls for sure

The Denon had XT32 so an interesting observation.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12088 of 16587 Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Looking for some help , my family room as always been an issue with bass . I started out with running quick measure this morning here is what I got . I have 2 HSU VTF-15H one on each side of my the rack
see pictures

Here is the layout of the subs to give you and idea

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #12089 of 16587 Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Was the quick measure for both of subwoofer ? You should do a quick measure for each of them as sometime putting them too close together might interfere.
post #12090 of 16587 Old 09-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

Was the quick measure for both of subwoofer ? You should do a quick measure for each of them as sometime putting them too close together might interfere.[/quote

Yes that was both here is one at a time

LEFT SUB

RIGHT SUB

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page