Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 406 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12151 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Okay, Sub 15 arrived today. Here are the graphs... At the end is the old sub graph (REL Storm). Much happier with the bottom end!

Storm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

+1
Also, what are your levels set at?
The new sub looks awesome!

Quote:

On the sub itself, crossover is maxed out/off, output level is at 50%, and phase is 0. I didn't take a screen shot of the other screen that comes up during ARC that shows the levels, etc. Is there a way to get to that by re-opening the ARC file? All I see now are the graphs. Thanks!
Wait, here are the targets if they are worth looking at.
Quote:

Okay, Sub 15 arrived today. Here are the graphs... At the end is the old sub graph (REL Storm). Much happier with the bottom end!

Storm:
I would say that you have a winner here. Your graphs look good. You should set your sub to "Flat". You can do that by bringing up the Target View, click on Advance, change setting from Auto to Flat, Ok the view, Ok the Target View, click Calculate, Save your ARC File, upload the ARC File to your MRX, and Save User/Installer Settings. You do not have to rerun ARC for this change.

BTW, you get my vote for the Sub Hall of Fame!!!!biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12152 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkowalski1970 View Post

Curious why set the sub to flat?
Setting the sub to Flat gives you a little more oomph with the low frequencies because ARC doesn't roll off the low frequencies when the setting is Flat. ARC passes all of the low frequencies to your sub for your sub to handle. However, you should only set your sub to Flat if your sub has built-protection, which means it will not try to play frequencies that it's not capable of playing, and your sub plays with good volume down to 20 Hz. If your sub is not capable of those two requirements, then leave it set to Auto. With Auto, ARC will determine the low end capability of your sub and roll off the low frequencies to make sure that your sub doesn't try to play them.
post #12153 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

Setting the sub to Flat gives you a little more oomph with the low frequencies because ARC doesn't roll off the low frequencies when the setting is Flat. ARC passes all of the low frequencies to your sub for your sub to handle. However, you should only set your sub to Flat if your sub has built-protection, which means it will not try to play frequencies that it's not capable of playing, and your sub plays with good volume down to 20 Hz. If your sub is not capable of those two requirements, then leave it set to Auto. With Auto, ARC will determine the low end capability of your sub and roll off the low frequencies to make sure that your sub doesn't try to play them.

I may play around with this flat configuration after I've become conditioned to the new sub. Will save the "Flat" ARC calculation as a separate file in the event I need to go back. Honestly, the new sub sounds pretty awesome for both music and movies (the ones I auditioned today anyway). Thanks for the vote!!
George Fire Eagl likes this.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #12154 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking at the advanced targets window, I set to flat and then below there are "minimum subwoofer eq" numbers. Do I leave those at 20 or lower them in addition to the "Flat" setting?

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #12155 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
YOu leave them. Also, when you set to flat you don't have to re-measure. You just need to recalculate and upload which is nice.
post #12156 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Looking at the advanced targets window, I set to flat and then below there are "minimum subwoofer eq" numbers. Do I leave those at 20 or lower them in addition to the "Flat" setting?

Leave it at flat and don't change anything else.
John
George Fire Eagl and scirica like this.

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12157 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:

This can work great initially... heck go one step further.. put your sub in your listening position and then with Quick Measure running, walk the mic around your room! Why trust just your ears when you have a great tool to help assist you wink.gif
Of course, once you find a good place, put the sub there and use Quick Measure back in your listening position to confirm it works as well as it looked the other way around biggrin.gif

definitely going ot try this, thanks.
post #12158 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

On the sub itself, crossover is maxed out/off, output level is at 50%, and phase is 0. I didn't take a screen shot of the other screen that comes up during ARC that shows the levels, etc. Is there a way to get to that by re-opening the ARC file? All I see now are the graphs. Thanks!
Wait, here are the targets if they are worth looking at.

Always good to see your targets screen smile.gif

As for the levels, you can only see those on the MRX, after ARC's settings have been uploaded. To see them, go to your Speaker Level Calibrations Setup Menu. We aim for them to be +/- 5 or so... some of OCD types aim for +/-3, though really this is not so important. I'm guessing with the Sub at 50% volume, you are probably about spot on.

As for setting your sub to "Flat"... as was mentioned above, no need to re-run ARC or save two different files. All you are really doing is re-calculating the data you collected with your last ARC run. You can re-calculate again, with your origional settings, any old time. The measured data is never changed... just the data calculated for the upload to the MRX wink.gif

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #12159 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Always good to see your targets screen smile.gif
As for the levels, you can only see those on the MRX, after ARC's settings have been uploaded. To see them, go to your Speaker Level Calibrations Setup Menu. We aim for them to be +/- 5 or so... some of OCD types aim for +/-3, though really this is not so important. I'm guessing with the Sub at 50% volume, you are probably about spot on.
As for setting your sub to "Flat"... as was mentioned above, no need to re-run ARC or save two different files. All you are really doing is re-calculating the data you collected with your last ARC run. You can re-calculate again, with your origional settings, any old time. The measured data is never changed... just the data calculated for the upload to the MRX wink.gif

Oh..THOSE numbers! Here they are:

Front Left: 0db
Center: +1db
Front Right: +2db
Surround Right: +1db
Surround Left: -1db
Movie Sub: -2db
Music Sub: -2db

My current SACD list
post #12160 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkowalski1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post

Hooked up an Anthem Statement A5 to my MRX 300 and damn it's good.

What exactly did you notice as the difference? Clarity?
The difference is staggering IMO. I run Monitor Audio Apex with a Studio Sub15. There is much more detail,airiness and composure. The sound is effortless and smooth at volumes I could not achieve before without it sounding too loud. Now I can crank it up but it isn't uncomfortable in any way. The MRX 300 has great amps. But this really is another league. So much headroom and particularly good with music.

Anthem MRX300, Anthem Statement A5, MK Sound MP150Mk2 LCR,MK Sound S150T's,Paradigm Signature Sub1,Pioneer BDP LX55,Isol8 Cleanline2 mains,Sonos ZP90,Qnap TS112 NAS,PanasonicTXP50GT60.
post #12161 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are in good shape. Your graphs look good, and your speaker trim levels look good. I say you should just sit back and let your ears do some judging. Good Job!!! biggrin.gif
post #12162 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These are fine, you're good to go so now go and try some good old fashion LFE:D
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12163 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

These are fine, you're good to go so now go and try some good old fashion LFE:D
John

Thanks guys! Right now it's Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's. Some LFE action later tonight when the room dims wink.gif

My current SACD list
post #12164 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Please explain this one to me...When I watch Directv and bring up the Anthem Advanced Source Setup Menu it shows "Arc Not Available". If I stay in the same menu and cycle to another source and then back to Directv, it says "On". I'm confused...just a bug? I'd like to know my Arc is on! It is not specific to the Directv input. Whatever source I am currently watching exhibits the same behavior.

My current SACD list
post #12165 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please explain this one to me...When I watch Directv and bring up the Anthem Advanced Source Setup Menu it shows "Arc Not Available". If I stay in the same menu and cycle to another source and then back to Directv, it says "On". I'm confused...just a bug? I'd like to know my Arc is on! It is not specific to the Directv input. Whatever source I am currently watching exhibits the same behavior.

I thought you were going to say the menu was displayed sideways:D This is a new one. Let Anthem know.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12166 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought you were going to say the menu was displayed sideways:D This is a new one. Let Anthem know.
John

+1

Real new one! And I'm glad I had a laptop to turn on it side biggrin.gif

post #12167 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These look great... your graphs look great... I bet it is sounding great! Sit back and enjoy!

post #12168 of 16559 Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

This was a new one for me, perhaps known by others. With an Oppo BDP 93 feeding one HDMI to my MRX input 1 and another HMDI directly to my display, the MRX cannot send 3D through to the display. Really had me stumped until I unplugged the HDMI that was going directly from my Oppo to my display.

Learning more and more every day.

And yes, it's time to kick back and enjoy the new world of LFE with the Sub 15. Thanks for everyone that chimed in and complimented by graphs. Very reassuring that I spent my money wisely!

Follow up: I guess this is really just the way the Oppo operates when both HDMI outputs are active. Oppo thread was very helpful here.

My current SACD list
post #12169 of 16559 Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 PM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I just installed a new subwoofer (SVS PB13-ULTRA) after my previous old and tired Velodyne just didn't seem up to the task. I'm limited to where I can place this beast, so I hope it will suffice. Would any of the resident experts take a look-see and offer some advice or general input? Thanks so much in advance. FYI, I did calculate for the advance setting on the sub to be flat.

mrx_700_targets.jpg

mrx_7002.jpg

mxr_7001.jpg
post #12170 of 16559 Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaesar View Post

Hi,
I just installed a new subwoofer (SVS PB13-ULTRA) after my previous old and tired Velodyne just didn't seem up to the task. I'm limited to where I can place this beast, so I hope it will suffice. Would any of the resident experts take a look-see and offer some advice or general input? Thanks so much in advance. FYI, I did calculate for the advance setting on the sub to be flat.
mrx_700_targets.jpg
mrx_7002.jpg
mxr_7001.jpg
You need to click on Calculate to get the Calculated (Green) result. Your graphs are only showing the Measured and Target results. From looking at the Measured results for your sub, I would suggest that you check to make sure there are no filters and crossovers engaged on your sub. Your sub is dropping off majorly after 50 Hz. I know that you said that you are limited in placement; but, if you don't have any filters and/or crossover engaged, I suggest that you might try another spot for your sub. The goal is to have ARC set your sub's cutoff to 120 Hz naturally. Anyway, for now, click on Calculate to get the Calculated result and repost your charts.
post #12171 of 16559 Old 09-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:

You need to click on Calculate to get the Calculated (Green) result. Your graphs are only showing the Measured and Target results. From looking at the Measured results for your sub, I would suggest that you check to make sure there are no filters and crossovers engaged on your sub. Your sub is dropping off majorly after 50 Hz. I know that you said that you are limited in placement; but, if you don't have any filters and/or crossover engaged, I suggest that you might try another spot for your sub. The goal is to have ARC set your sub's cutoff to 120 Hz naturally. Anyway, for now, click on Calculate to get the Calculated result and repost your charts.

Thanks!

Here's the calculated.

calculated_1.jpg

calculated_2.jpg

I double checked, and all filters are indeed disabled. I must admit, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where I'd put this thing that would make a difference. Presently, it's in a corner. See image below. the only option would be switch the main with the sub, placing the Focal 816 in the corner, and having the sub facing directly out in the room.

http://s19.postimage.org/836om6ixf/subwoofer.jpg

http://postimage.org/image/qir5jkx1r/
post #12172 of 16559 Old 09-08-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Here's the calculated.
calculated_1.jpg
calculated_2.jpg
I double checked, and all filters are indeed disabled. I must admit, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where I'd put this thing that would make a difference. Presently, it's in a corner. See image below. the only option would be switch the main with the sub, placing the Focal 816 in the corner, and having the sub facing directly out in the room.

Moving it by inches can make a difference as can pointing it in new directions. It takes time but if you get a good spot it will be worth it. My chart is at the end of the second post, first page of the thread. Look at the red measured line. That's what you're trying to get.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12173 of 16559 Old 09-08-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Here's the calculated.
calculated_1.jpg
calculated_2.jpg
Overall, your charts are pretty good. Out of all of your speakers, I think you need to concentrate on your sub. I know you said that your locations are limited; but, it sounds like you can move it to another location. It might be worth moving it to try to improved the measured response from 50 Hz to 100 Hz. When it comes to the low frequencies, even inches can make a difference. BTW, what did ARC set your speaker level trims to? I normally like to see them be within +/-3 for all speakers. One thing at a time, so, I would say to concentrate on the sub if you can. If you can't move it, then it is what it is, and you will just have to live with it which is ok too.
post #12174 of 16559 Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Moving it by inches can make a difference as can pointing it in new directions. It takes time but if you get a good spot it will be worth it. My chart is at the end of the second post, first page of the thread. Look at the red measured line. That's what you're trying to get.
John

Thanks John! I'll try with what limited options there are. If moving doesn't get desired results, the SVS PB13-ULTRA has the ability to boost certain frequencies (e.g. 50, 65 etc.) by 3db. Would that be another option to go as well before measuring? If not, I would have more options for placement with a sub with a smaller footprint. This one's 27" length is very limiting within the confines of the space.
post #12175 of 16559 Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks John! I'll try with what limited options there are. If moving doesn't get desired results, the SVS PB13-ULTRA has the ability to boost certain frequencies (e.g. 50, 65 etc.) by 3db. Would that be another option to go as well before measuring? If not, I would have more options for placement with a sub with a smaller footprint. This one's 27" length is very limiting within the confines of the space.

Smaller sub but better placement could be another option. Not sure about boosting freq., getting there by placement is the best way.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12176 of 16559 Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Smaller sub but better placement could be another option. Not sure about boosting freq., getting there by placement is the best way.
John

First I want to say thanks to both John and Ninja12 for your help. Here's my latest results after running quick measure for the most innocuous placement changes I could muster under the circumstances and changing the placement accordingly. It's actually better for the room, 'cause the sub can now double as a "coffee table" next to the couch.

lastest2.jpg

latest_targets.jpg

latest1.jpg

The subwoofer seemed to improve to my untrained eye. When I compare this chart to John's example of a good one, while this does have a dip at 50 as before, the starting point at 20 is at a higher db level. That being said, ARC did not change the target to 120 as would be optimal, and I'm not sure what to do about that.

Thanks again!

Dave
post #12177 of 16559 Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The subwoofer seemed to improve to my untrained eye. When I compare this chart to John's example of a good one, while this does have a dip at 50 as before, the starting point at 20 is at a higher db level. That being said, ARC did not change the target to 120 as would be optimal, and I'm not sure what to do about that.
Thanks again!
Dave

Dave: your sub position has paid off. That is a graph you should be proud of!

My current SACD list
post #12178 of 16559 Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Has anyone had an issue controlling the MRX 500 with a Crestron Adagio through the RS232 port? The MRX will not turn on probably 90% of the time now through my TP. Additionally, when the MRX wont't respond to the Crestron, it doesn't respond to the remote directly or using the front of the receiver either. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to turn it on. I'm on my second MRX after returning the first one for the same issue and have the same problem cropping up again. Any advice?
post #12179 of 16559 Old 09-09-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First I want to say thanks to both John and Ninja12 for your help. Here's my latest results after running quick measure for the most innocuous placement changes I could muster under the circumstances and changing the placement accordingly. It's actually better for the room, 'cause the sub can now double as a "coffee table" next to the couch.
lastest2.jpg
latest_targets.jpg
latest1.jpg
Thanks again!
Dave
This position is better than your last position. You have reduced the null; but, your sub is still dropping off about 10db after 50 Hz. If this is your only other position, then I would say leave it in the new position.
post #12180 of 16559 Old 09-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:

This position is better than your last position. You have reduced the null; but, your sub is still dropping off about 10db after 50 Hz. If this is your only other position, then I would say leave it in the new position.

Thanks! I have one more possible place, but it will be a project for another day checking it out. That said, what would be the determining factor for ARC to eventually change the target response from the 80 it presently is to the "optimal" 120?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Mrx500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page