Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 418 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12511 of 16555 Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo676 View Post

I suppose it could be some noise in the house or something but I'd tend to doubt it. When I got an MRX300 the front right channel failed almost immediately, so I arranged to return it. When they got it back it worked perfectly, or so they said, so I'm assuming it was a poor solder joint which can get joggled around in transit. I didn't want it back and got an MRX500 from somewhere else.
Maybe your AVR will work fine when you get it back ? smile.gif

Your problem was totally diferent because it was a real problem with your unit, but mine has an internal hum from the unit itself and it looks like its caused by some interfirience in my electrical installation, the Anthem tecnitians say that my unit doesnt make any hum noise in their lab, so it looks like the problem is not coming from the Anthem, although ive had other receivers in my room that worked without any huming, maybe Anthem is more delicate to interferences.

I also found 1 forum member in this post that had a similar problem, this is what he told me by MP:
Quote:
swimhike181:
I went as far as trading receivers at the shop I bought it at. When I brought it in, they tried it out and it was dead quiet! When I brought the replacement home and set it up - I had that hum again.

What I then tried was plugging it into an extension cord and I tried that extension cord plugged into a socket that was with a different circuit breaker. No noise. i went back and plugged it into the original wall plug - noise. So, I gather that I have an issue with the wiring with that particular plug/circuit.

It sounds like you have tried the various sockets in your place - I am not sure. It might be worth unplugging things like microwaves, computers, etc and see if that makes a difference.

Note: i did try resetting the circuit breaker - that would work only a short time before the hum came back. My current situation is still running the unit on an extension cord.

Good luck. I will be curious as to how you make out,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12512 of 16555 Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigmfan View Post

Are you using any sort of surge device? If not try using a surge protector/ power conditioner should help also...
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the help and advice, but I dont know anything about surge protector/ power conditioner, could you put me a link to what I should have installed so I can show it to the people that did the electric intallation in my house?.

Greetings.

Panamax.com should have something you could use. It provides surge protection and linear filtration from old electric work that may in fact cause interference with video/audio.....including noise from units and speakers....best buy carries alot of the Panamax units. I use the M5100PM.

post #12513 of 16555 Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Liked: 12

I read somewhere that -10db is reference on the MRX's.

Anthem MRX300, Anthem Statement A5, MK Sound MP150Mk2 LCR,MK Sound S150T's,Paradigm Signature Sub1,Pioneer BDP LX55,Isol8 Cleanline2 mains,Sonos ZP90,Qnap TS112 NAS,PanasonicTXP50GT60.
post #12514 of 16555 Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Panamax.com should have something you could use. It provides surge protection and linear filtration from old electric work that may in fact cause interference with video/audio.....including noise from units and speakers....best buy carries alot of the Panamax units. I use the M5100PM.

Thanks for the help, will have it in mind for when I have my Anthem back, although I dont think we have this brand in Spain.
post #12515 of 16555 Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post

For me its just a guess, but after having the Onkyo 809 that is suposed to get referecen volume at 0, I think you are wright and probably reference volume in the Anthem is around -10db, but in normal house rooms its nearly imposible to listen at such high volumes.
post #12516 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the help, will have it in mind for when I have my Anthem back, although I dont think we have this brand in Spain.

You should have some sort of surge/filer device in Spain. Contact Panamax and look into it. They make the best out there...along with Furman Brand.
post #12517 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anthem had me do a factory reset to unlock my internet radio. What have I lost? All I get is multi channel sound no more stereo. All my speaker distances are gone. Do I need to do a complete reinstall? Do I need to do ARC from scratch or is it still in the receiver? I did a search but all I found was how to do it. I need guidance on how to get back everything I lost. More questions to follow depending on the answers to this battery.
post #12518 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
If you did ARC yourself before, you should have saved the file. Just load the ARC file you saved, hit calculate and then upload it to the MRX. This will give you back your ARC settings. You will have to manually enter your speaker distances again.

Alex
post #12519 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 AM

From your response I assume I lost arc so I am getting the old pc out. Can you weigh in on any of the other question? Thanks
post #12520 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post

I think this depends on how you have the Dolby Volume Cinema Reference mode set. When set to "on" then reference level or -0- on volumn control is 85db or -10db reference. If set to off then -0- should be 75db.

barry
post #12521 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:

You should have some sort of surge/filer device in Spain. Contact Panamax and look into it. They make the best out there...along with Furman Brand.

Thanks, ¿What do you think about these filters that I can find here?:
http://www.studio-22.com/_filtros-de-red.htm
post #12522 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 AM

I am going to attempt to reload my arc tonight but I am way behind in updates. Should I upload my arc from 2 years ago with the old mm and main section software or should I update one or both before I reload arc?
post #12523 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, ¿What do you think about these filters that I can find here?:
http://www.studio-22.com/_filtros-de-red.htm

Something like the Isol-8 and up
on that page and has enough power inputs for what you need should be fine. And if there's no difference in sound return it. Should help though. If the electric in the house is old, it could interfere with audio and video quality....hope it helps.

post #12524 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolsen187 View Post

I am going to attempt to reload my arc tonight but I am way behind in updates. Should I upload my arc from 2 years ago with the old mm and main section software or should I update one or both before I reload arc?

Update it to the newest firmware which I believe is 50.25

post #12525 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Also do the update before you run ARC.

post #12526 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Something like the Isol-8 and up
on that page and has enough power inputs for what you need should be fine. And if there's no difference in sound return it. Should help though. If the electric in the house is old, it could interfere with audio and video quality....hope it helps.

Thanks, I will first try with my electrician to se if he can fix the problem, if not I will try the Isol-8.

Greetings.
post #12527 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Anthem had me do a factory reset to unlock my internet radio. What have I lost? All I get is multi channel sound no more stereo. All my speaker distances are gone. Do I need to do a complete reinstall? Do I need to do ARC from scratch or is it still in the receiver? I did a search but all I found was how to do it. I need guidance on how to get back everything I lost. More questions to follow depending on the answers to this battery.

I've seen a few answers to peices of your questions... but it is to much work to try and find/quote them all... so this may be slightly repetative but hopefully fills in some gaps.

If you performed a factory "Reset":

1) The factory reset should not have removed any firmware updates you applied. So, assuming you were on the latest, you are all set with the firmware... otherwise...
a) If you have a MRX 500/700, Check the MM firmware and update if it is not version 1.10 (this has not changed in a long time so likely it is all set)
b) Check the main firmware and update if it is not version 50.25
2) You will need to set up each source again. Including any settings you may have made in the Advanced Source Stup.
3) Re-Enter your distances
4) Re-Upload ARC
a) If you saved your old ARC file, you can simply re-upload it.
b) Otherwise re-run ARC and upload (make sure you save the results this time wink.gif )
NOTE: With very few exceptions, even if your ARC software is older, it will be the same, but you can upgrade to the latest version of ARC (v3.0.2) if you like before you re-run ARC. To upgrade, download the new version from Anthems website and then install it over the old version. No need to uninstall the old version. If you are installing on a new computer, make sure you install the old version first, from your origionally supplied CD, so that the microphone calibration file is coppied over. Then upgrade wink.gif

Hope this answers everything in your post above?

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series: See the First post here.
Technical Information including using ARC: See the "FAQ" post here.
post #12528 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM

I've got my old arc. I need to update both firmwares . I've already got my distances reloaded. I assume I do these things in the sequence in your post and that the arc is the last thing to do? My old PC with the serial port will not connect to the net. The mm update I can do from another pc. Can I down load the main firmware on the new pc , move it to a disc and then to the old pc or does the mrx have to talk over the internet to do the download? When I down load old arc file to the mrx do I need to have the setup menu set for "load user settings" or something else?
post #12529 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've got my old arc. I need to update both firmwares . I've already got my distances reloaded. I assume I do these things in the sequence in your post and that the arc is the last thing to do? My old PC with the serial port will not connect to the net. The mm update I can do from another pc. Can I down load the main firmware on the new pc , move it to a disc and then to the old pc or does the mrx have to talk over the internet to do the download? When I down load old arc file to the mrx do I need to have the setup menu set for "load user settings" or something else?

It would be recommended to probably do them in the order I listed (though there are several combinations that would work).

The MM firmware is loaded via USB, so it can easily be done from any computer.

The Main firmware does not need to talk to the internet, so you download it on wone computer and then copy it via disk/network/usb over to the old PC you are using to run ARC. The main firmware is updated using the same serial connection you use when you run ARC. There is no need to put the MRX in any special modes, just simply turn it on and you should be all set. You will probably want to confirm the MRX is set to the faster serial speed otherwise the firmware updates will take a really long time. (they are not the fastest things in the world even with the higher speed serial setting).

post #12530 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Liked: 11
Hello all. My first post here at Avsforum smile.gif

Last week I finally got myself an Anthem MRX 300.

This was after much listening and thinking about my needs, and I ended up with the MRX, simply because it sounded best to me, and was less bloated with useless features, a thing I really apreciate. Also like the menus better. And then off course because theres ARC.

Definately a major step up from my previous Denon AVR-2808.

It works as a processor, as I have separate power amplifiers for my 5 channels.

My speakers are Dali Mentor 6 for the fronts (fantastic sounding speakers), Dali Concept Center, and Dali SR-5 surrounds. Center and surrounds are lower class than the fronts but still very fine sounding.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up my new sub (BK XXLS400 FF), and when that is proberly setup, I will post some graphs.

I have one question allready though.

A very seldom time I get a short burst of white noise from my left front speaker, for about a second. The music is still playing, the white noise is underneath it. It happens in both stereo and surround modes. I have noticed it about 5 times now, and only happens once per powerup, as far as I have heard.
I did not have this problem with any of the demo units I have had loaned (MRX500 and MRX300).

It is not a big problem, but curios anyway. Is this a bug in the 50.25 firmware? Has anybody else had the same "problem"?

In any other way, the Receiver has been perfect. I'm very very satisfied with its sound. Fantastic amount of detail, bass is plentifull yet still tight and fast.
Its an eyeopening experience hearing what ARC does to tighten up the sound, especially since my listening room is very far from perfect.

post #12531 of 16555 Old 10-09-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarVi View Post

Hello all. My first post here at Avsforum smile.gif
Last week I finally got myself an Anthem MRX 300.
This was after much listening and thinking about my needs, and I ended up with the MRX, simply because it sounded best to me, and was less bloated with useless features, a thing I really apreciate. Also like the menus better. And then off course because theres ARC.
Definately a major step up from my previous Denon AVR-2808.
It works as a processor, as I have separate power amplifiers for my 5 channels.
My speakers are Dali Mentor 6 for the fronts (fantastic sounding speakers), Dali Concept Center, and Dali SR-5 surrounds. Center and surrounds are lower class than the fronts but still very fine sounding.
Tomorrow I am going to pick up my new sub (BK XXLS400 FF), and when that is proberly setup, I will post some graphs.
I have one question allready though.
A very seldom time I get a short burst of white noise from my left front speaker, for about a second. The music is still playing, the white noise is underneath it. It happens in both stereo and surround modes. I have noticed it about 5 times now, and only happens once per powerup, as far as I have heard.
I did not have this problem with any of the demo units I have had loaned (MRX500 and MRX300).
It is not a big problem, but curios anyway. Is this a bug in the 50.25 firmware? Has anybody else had the same "problem"?
In any other way, the Receiver has been perfect. I'm very very satisfied with its sound. Fantastic amount of detail, bass is plentifull yet still tight and fast.
Its an eyeopening experience hearing what ARC does to tighten up the sound, especially since my listening room is very far from perfect.

That does not sound normal at all. Since you just got it... I would see if your dealer will just trade it for you. Otherwise I would call Anthem.

I would also, just to help make sure it is not something in your environment... Disconnect everthing except your player and perhaps TV. See if it continues. Also try running an extension cord to another outlet on a another circuit and see if that resolves the issues. If you are using a line filter on your power, try removing it.

Particularly discounnet any cable/satalite boxes that are connected to the MRX. Let us know how you get on!

post #12532 of 16555 Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Just recently my right channel on my MRX700 started to hum, hiss and click. It would start the noise, then stop, then return, and this would repeat. The audio coming out of the speaker was perfectly fine. I tried unplugging all sources from the reciever. I then tried switching another speaker to that channel and the same problem recoccured. I am assuming their is a internal issue with the unit. It has not had any problem in the 2 years that i have had it and i have done the firmware updates. Has anyone else had a similar issue??

Thanks
post #12533 of 16555 Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 15
I believe this has already been asked and answered but since it's critical to my AVR decision process I wanted to be sure.
All of my music is in FLAC. Currently I pipe it all through a SqueezeBox using it's audio outputs. In the new setup I'm thinking of running all music through an HTPC. I was considering getting some sort of DAC (perhaps VLink or Xonar) and pushing it through the MRX.

From what I've read, it seems I would not be able to shunt this over to Zone 2. Is that correct?

If, on the other hand, I used the DAC inside the SB and continued to use the analog output I would be able to shunt it over to Zone 2?

In that case, would I be able to have the kids listening to a movie inside (zone 1) and the "grown ups" (using the term loosely) listening to music outside (zone 2)?
post #12534 of 16555 Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfineman View Post

I believe this has already been asked and answered but since it's critical to my AVR decision process I wanted to be sure.
All of my music is in FLAC. Currently I pipe it all through a SqueezeBox using it's audio outputs. In the new setup I'm thinking of running all music through an HTPC. I was considering getting some sort of DAC (perhaps VLink or Xonar) and pushing it through the MRX.
From what I've read, it seems I would not be able to shunt this over to Zone 2. Is that correct?
If you run analog from the DAC to the MRX, it will work on zone 2. The issue is with zone 1, it will force another analog to digital conversion and then back to analog again, there's no analog pass through as far as I know with zone 1.
post #12535 of 16555 Old 10-11-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

If you run analog from the DAC to the MRX, it will work on zone 2. The issue is with zone 1, it will force another analog to digital conversion and then back to analog again, there's no analog pass through as far as I know with zone 1.

Correct. Anything that is directed to Zone 2 must be sourced as analog. I have HDMI and Analog audio outputs set up for my Oppo, Directv, Roku, and Appletv for this very reason.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #12536 of 16555 Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Correct. Anything that is directed to Zone 2 must be sourced as analog. I have HDMI and Analog audio outputs set up for my Oppo, Directv, Roku, and Appletv for this very reason.

Wow what a PITA... I wanted to get a modern AVR to reduce complexity! So how well does this work when I'm running zone1 & zone2 at the same time from the same source? I guess any delays are negligible. Since I plan to run a power amp for my front two, the only thing the MRX really has going for it is the ARC. I'm starting to wonder if the MRX is the right fit for me.
post #12537 of 16555 Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow what a PITA... I wanted to get a modern AVR to reduce complexity! So how well does this work when I'm running zone1 & zone2 at the same time from the same source? I guess any delays are negligible. Since I plan to run a power amp for my front two, the only thing the MRX really has going for it is the ARC. I'm starting to wonder if the MRX is the right fit for me.

My zone 2 is the patio out back, so it is usually on music while TV or Movies are on in the living room, hence I don't notice delays. I'm running a Proceed Amp5 for the living room 5.1 channels and using the MRX amplification for zone 2. Works great!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #12538 of 16555 Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

I ended up running the digital out from the SB Touch to the MRX for my main system, and use the analog outputs into a small zone amp controlled by a volume control on the wall for the outdoor speakers. This setup was just easier than running more wires to the MRX due to my specific setup and is easier to control for my wife and kids.
post #12539 of 16555 Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

So, after having my system calibrated by Jeff Meier this morning, I come to find out that while the Anthem does a great job with audio, the video processing leaves a lot to be desired. I don't have the technical details, but regarding contrast and low-level black information it really performed poorly. Decided to go with the "through" mode to calibrate my Samsung UN60D7050 and all the detail came back. Very happy with the work done by Jeff. He is truly a master at his craft and just a great guy to work with. I will post the calibration graphs soon.

My current SACD list
post #12540 of 16555 Old 10-14-2012, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

So, after having my system calibrated by Jeff Meier this morning, I come to find out that while the Anthem does a great job with audio, the video processing leaves a lot to be desired. I don't have the technical details, but regarding contrast and low-level black information it really performed poorly. Decided to go with the "through" mode to calibrate my Samsung UN60D7050 and all the detail came back. Very happy with the work done by Jeff. He is truly a master at his craft and just a great guy to work with. I will post the calibration graphs soon.

Can you get Jeff to provide any detailed information with regards to the effect that the MRX had on the video going through it?
I believe the MRX clips Blacker Than Black (BTB, level 16 & below) and Whiter Than White (WTW, level 235 & above) no matter what settings you use - but it would be good to have it confirmed/denied by an expert.
I have been using Through for my Blu-Ray, but Auto for my broadcast sources - as the scaler in the MRX does a better job than the other devices - and broadcast stuff just isn't that good anyway (not here in the UK eek.gif )

Regards, Mike.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx500 , Anthem Mrx300 , Anthem Mrx700 , Receivers Amplifiers , Component Amplifiers , 3d Hdtv , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page